: What would you have done?

Night Wolf
11-07-05, 11:42 PM
ok, this is one of the things I need to work on... I am too freakin shy, and I need to be more outgoing. I have a hard time approaching girls (err... I never approach girls) and also a hard time starting conversation.... but once the conversation gets started, I have no problem talking about whatever the subject may be...

So here is an example, tonight I was doing a couple things in town, and saw a Sonic, now I havn't been to Sonic since I first went to Texas back in 1999 or so- we didn't have them in NY.

Now if you have never been to Sonic, they have these drive up things where you park, and each spot has a menu and you order, then the girls bring the food out to you on roller blades, its kinda neat.

So I ordered, there were 2 girls bringing food out to people. As I was eating it died down, then I was the only car there, so I get ready to leave, I get the garbadge put it in the back, get out of my car and walk over to the garbadge can to throw it away.

Sitting at the table next to the garbadge can is one of the roller blade girls, the really cute one. She is sitting with an older guy talking, looked to be some kind of a break, I dunno if it was her manager, father, friend or whatever... he wasn't our age though.

So I throw my bag out, and I glance at her, then she says loudly "Hey, how are ya doin' tonight?" since I am the only one there, she was talking to me, so I say "Not too bad, you?" and she replies with "I'm doing great, thanks!" so I kinda stand there for a second...... turn around and walk back to my car.

First, it felt weird to just turn around like that, because it seemed like maybe she was trying to start a conversation and then I gave the image that I wasn't interested?

Or maybe she is just really friendly and says Hi to everyone and thats all?

But as I drove off, I coudln't help but keep thinking what I did "wrong" I mean, it was the perfect opertunity to talk, but I just left, but then I was thiking about the older guy there, if it was her father or not, and that would just be akward to go over and start talking to her while that guy is there.... and I dunno...

So if this was you, and you got up to throw something away and a girl justs ask how you are doing out of the blue, what would your reply be? and should I have tried to get a conversation going? it wasn't like I had to be anywhere or anything....

I mean, I dunno... this is where I overanalyze wayy too much so I am thinking either she is just friendly, or something about me appealed to her, enough to say hi and ask how I am doing, because that alone is more then I would have done if it was the other way around.

Gosh, it sucks to be the shy guy..... ugh... I gotta change this but its hard.

Ralph
11-07-05, 11:52 PM
You did nothing wrong!! I think you handled it well, and after all, SHE initiated the convo.:) You seemed to play it cool.

Now if you're interested, go there every once in a while so that she gets "familiar" with you, and eventually ask her out for coffee or something???

How much older did the guy look????

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-07-05, 11:54 PM
I feel your pain man, it's quite hard for me to start conversations w/ women i dont know. In your situation, I would have started a conversation with her, but since you didn't, dont worry about it, just go back in there sometime when its not busy, and approach her this time.

Night Wolf
11-08-05, 12:03 AM
So I didn't do anything wrong?

It just felt so wierd... after I replied, I just kinda froze for a second... turned around and left.... it felt as though I was showing I wasn't interested and didn't want to talk anymore... or atleast thats how I saw it....

lol, if I go back... I don't even remember what she looks like! gosh, its bad I know... but I first saw her when she bought the food to the Couger that was next to me... and by "saw her" I mean I saw her cute butt :)

Otherwise I don't remember her *that much* I mean, if there is a host of cute girls working there, I doubt I could pick her out.... maybe I'll go back and see if shes there? what if I see her, do I say something or wait for her etc...?

Since there is no dinning in at Sonic, you either sit at the tables outside, or sit in your car... so should I just go pull up and order a Coke and fries or something from my car?

The guy looked to be 30's.... maybe even 40's.... defintily some sort of manager/father or something and not a b/f or anything....

plus she stopped their conversation (if they were even in one) to talk to me, so I dunno.

I mean, lets say I do see her again... what would I even say? but this is all realitive, because the chance of me actually seeing her, I think is slim...

aren't the times/days young people work at the fast food joints always changing? maybe that was her dad and he was picking her up from work, but they talked and had a soda before they left? I dunno... it was around.... oh gosh... 8:30PM? I think... should I go back around that time in a couple days or what?

Krashed989
11-08-05, 12:08 AM
YOU IDIOT!!!

Just kidding. LOL :histeric:

That happens a lot to me too. You see a pritty girl, she says hi, then your mind goes totally blank........ like your pulse......... lol.... Forget about that experience because it will haulter your future experiences with her.

I'm trying to get over that shyness factor too. I find that it's easier to start a conversation with simple things. Like, "that was some good food." or something like "it's cold out tonight." You know, something like that. I agree with Ralph though, you should keep coming back. Read her nametag. Make yourself a presence, someone she will start to remember. Not just a nameless face out on the street that she will never see again.

Good luck. :cool:

DeVillish
11-08-05, 12:11 AM
hell yeah go back! Even if you dont remember her, if she talks to you when she sees you again you'll know shes interested. Go at the same time a few days....if she askes why you come here so much, tell her what you told us about no sonics in NY and BAM your talking! Damn iam good when it comes to other people...if only i could use my powers to help me! And damn i miss sonic, cant wait to pull up in the charger with the hemi roarin...

Stoneage_Caddy
11-08-05, 12:14 AM
youll grow out of it ....i did ....got no problem talkin to them .... the part that takes the most time is coming up with something she hasnt heard before ...

Ralph
11-08-05, 12:16 AM
So I didn't do anything wrong?
It just felt so wierd... after I replied, I just kinda froze for a second... turned around and left.... it felt as though I was showing I wasn't interested and didn't want to talk anymore... or atleast thats how I saw it....
lol, if I go back... I don't even remember what she looks like! gosh, its bad I know... but I first saw her when she bought the food to the Couger that was next to me... and by "saw her" I mean I saw her cute butt :)
Otherwise I don't remember her *that much* I mean, if there is a host of cute girls working there, I doubt I could pick her out.... maybe I'll go back and see if shes there? what if I see her, do I say something or wait for her etc...?
Since there is no dinning in at Sonic, you either sit at the tables outside, or sit in your car... so should I just go pull up and order a Coke and fries or something from my car?
The guy looked to be 30's.... maybe even 40's.... defintily some sort of manager/father or something and not a b/f or anything....
plus she stopped their conversation (if they were even in one) to talk to me, so I dunno.
I mean, lets say I do see her again... what would I even say? but this is all realitive, because the chance of me actually seeing her, I think is slim...
aren't the times/days young people work at the fast food joints always changing? maybe that was her dad and he was picking her up from work, but they talked and had a soda before they left? I dunno... it was around.... oh gosh... 8:30PM? I think... should I go back around that time in a couple days or what?

It COULD have been her dad, but I'm 38 and I have "friends" who are in their early 20's.:shhh: I don't know what happened to all the "girls" my age.....guess they are all married or something...:bigroll:

Nope, you didn't do anything wrong IMO, and I think she just caught you off-guard because you were a bit stunned. Stunned by how cute she was and that SHE initiated the convo, which is kind of refreshing after all. (geez, we were just talking about this in the "Ralph?" thread tonite!)

It's been hard for me after my fiance and I broke up just over a year ago, but fortunately I look foreward to an encounter like you had today Rick..and I've had a couple since....I would definately go back, hang out with a buddy and see if you can recognize her there, etc. She will likely (hopefully) be foreward again and talk to you first so that you will remember which one she was, LOL.:)

I've come to a point where I just don't care anymore what really happens though, but don't dwell on the negative or beat yourself up over what does or doesn't happen...

For now I would just hang out there some more, allow her to get to know you, and keep us posted and we can hopefully give you some decent advice...

give it a couple days......geez, I'm due to go back to the Caddy dealership......;)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-08-05, 12:17 AM
I mean, lets say I do see her again... what would I even say?

"Hey baby, ever seen the backseat of a Cadillac deVille?"

hahahaha j/k dont say that

Rick, she might have started to talk to you because she saw you roll up in a Cadillac, and what women cant reisist a man in a Cadillac?:cool2:

I honestly would go back in there again when its not busy, eat in your car, and if you see her again, smile at her and see what happens. If she starts a conversation again, just roll with it, and dont be too forward, just be real casual like "hey hows it going" or "hey that food was really good" something like that.
Good luck man! I'm sure ya can do it!:cool:

thu
11-08-05, 12:28 AM
I'd have to agree with the others and tell you that you should go back every so often enough so that you two get a little familiar with each other. Say 'hi' every now and then whenever you catch her eye. She may be bored with her job and talking to anyone may be a release for her.

If nothing happens, at least you got to see a cutie again.

If something happens, then on to the next step....

90Brougham350
11-08-05, 12:32 AM
A pleasant smile, genuine enthusiasm, and a true display of manners works wonders. Of course, a little humor never hurts either. Problem is, women have that little trick that ties a man's vocal cords into a double knot :cool: Good luck bud, you'll do great!

Stoneage_Caddy
11-08-05, 12:33 AM
i dunno i have pretty good luck at sonic there wolf.....got to thinkin bout it , we have one up the street , there 2 girls there that know me and the car (were boath pretty unsusual)...then the other knows me for the change ....i ahte getting change back from there so i tell em to keep it .....so she knows me too .....

but i relly didnt want to pick up girls from there , there too young for me ...i just like there chilidogs and chili cheese atater tots , if only the food liked me back .....but it always seems to be in a hurry to leave ....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-08-05, 12:38 AM
hahaha...

"The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show and see if she likes the goods"

"I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you"

"I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal,People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

these are all things NOT to say

Night Wolf
11-08-05, 12:38 AM
Yeah, so I'll go back there again... I dunno either tomorrow or Wednesday, what I'll do is park my car right there, but instead of eating in the car, I'll go and sit at the table and order a soda and fries or something....

I still have (and will countine to keep) the NY plates on my car... help seperate my Caddy from all the others :) Although I took the front plate/bracket off because it looks alot better, but now you don't know I'm from NY from the front, only the back.

eh, I guess in the world of things, it isn't that big of a deal... I have been known to think something is more then it seems. I guess its just yet another wake up call that I need to be more outgoing when it comes to talking to girls.

DopeStar 156
11-08-05, 12:45 AM
So if this was you, and you got up to throw something away and a girl justs ask how you are doing out of the blue, what would your reply be? and should I have tried to get a conversation going? it wasn't like I had to be anywhere or anything....
My reply: "Ok."

Hahaha! Well dude sorry but from what you've said this seems to be my observation. I'm not really sure if she was "trying to talk to you" more than she was keeping the friendly employee/customer relationship. I work in a restraunt and I'll ask how someone's doing if I happen to accidentally lock eyes with them but **** if I really care.... To be honest you didn't do anything wrong, except EAT IN YOUR CAR!!!! WHAT IF YOU SPILLED SOMETHING?!! RUINED CARPET AND LEATHER!!!! LOL!

Anyway... I've found all my success I have with my metal mistress has come from me not thinking and just saying/doing whatever. If you're around a girl who looks approachable, just start talking about anything, forget she's a girl at first and just think of her as someone. What's the worst that happens? If she blows you off than screw her, she's not worth your time. If she's gonna be a bitch then let her go rot and die somewhere. I've found the key here is self confidence. If you walk over there with your face all hidden with 600,000 different thoughts in your head you'll look bad. If I'm around my mistress and I'm thinking, I'll studder, trip, crack bad jokes, etc. The second I just clear my head I'm totaly cool. In summary, think less, act more. Show that girl who's number one, YOU!

Night Wolf
11-08-05, 12:59 AM
Dope... what you say is very true.... but for me atleast, harder said then done... though I will be working on it now :)

Eating in the car.... heh... it used to be (still is) a rule that nobody else can eat in my car, drinks are ok, and when friends are with me, I don't eat int he car either... but really, I just can't keep making that big of a deal.. arm rest is cracked, leather is worn etc... how much can ya worry? hell I eat in the '79 also... it's a car damnit and I am gonna use it :)

Really I used to be so anal with the '93 Coupe, mostly with the paint problem it has, my mind set is, eh, it's gonna happen anyway, why make a big deal about it? ya know?

Stoneage_Caddy
11-08-05, 01:09 AM
you definately need to adopt a "who give a ****" kinda atititude with this stuff dude .....

i play like i care round here with Amy and them ....but out there (points at the dealership and college)...i just dont care ....so what if there toally grossed out or put off by you ....**** em ....

Just the other day . you shoulda been there to take notes ....

Theres girl standing outside a classroom at the college , i noticed her as i went out for soem air....so there she is still standing there as i come back ...and she looks absolutely perfect , in every dimention , even her hair is just something .....

I walked right up to her ....and said
"you get put on time out sweetie?"
wanna know what she did ?
she giggled !

Bout this time my insturctor , who is a old lady , and pretty much a freind of mine walks up , and asks "what do you think your doing michael"...

right infront of this BEAUTIFUL girl i told my instructor

"I just asked her if she was on time out ,shes standing there all alone, im behaveing.... honest.....i wasnt going to hit on her just becuse shes drop dead gorugues"

i honestly have no clue what the girl thought , nor did i look to check her reaction ...i only heard another giggle.....becuse i really didnt care what the girl thought.....worst case "that ugly guy likes me" or best case "no one has told me im beautiful lately" and now she has ammo on her low life boyfreind ...

i do this all the time ......and i have the worst confidence in myself ....

illumina
11-08-05, 01:09 AM
Yeah, so I'll go back there again... I dunno either tomorrow or Wednesday, what I'll do is park my car right there, but instead of eating in the car, I'll go and sit at the table and order a soda and fries or something....
I still have (and will countine to keep) the NY plates on my car... help seperate my Caddy from all the others :) Although I took the front plate/bracket off because it looks alot better, but now you don't know I'm from NY from the front, only the back.
eh, I guess in the world of things, it isn't that big of a deal... I have been known to think something is more then it seems. I guess its just yet another wake up call that I need to be more outgoing when it comes to talking to girls.

Yes, keep those NY plates on the car bro! That would be one Hell of a starting point for a good conversation should she see them...Perhaps you can do something to make them more noticeable?

Now once a conversation is initiated, don't just throw everything out on the table that first time and ask her out. Give it couple of times so that you can get a feel for what is going on. Get a feel for if she's seing anyone, that sort of stuff.

Now once you're in her good graces and there appears to be no guy in the way, make a move if it feels right. Should things work out right, go for a nice casual evening out to get a further feel for things before doing anything too fancy...It might jsut work out!

Ralph
11-08-05, 01:31 AM

I mean, lets say I do see her again... what would I even say?

Another thought.....she might have been in an ackward conversation with the older dude, and wanted a scapegoat? Maybe the guy was hitting on her as she was taking a break, and she wanted out?

Also, next time you see her, and if appropriate, you could ask her so "who was that guy you were talking to?" If the opportunity comes up. But it might come off as too foreward depending on her personality, but it sounds like she might appreciate the interest in her...

Today at a restaurant I asked a cute waitress how she got her hair to look a certain way, and I told her how good it looked.......then after that I got a nice smile everytime she walked by me......I'll be back there, LOL.

Night Wolf
11-08-05, 01:35 AM
Yes, keep those NY plates on the car bro! That would be one Hell of a starting point for a good conversation should she see them...Perhaps you can do something to make them more noticeable?
Now once a conversation is initiated, don't just throw everything out on the table that first time and ask her out. Give it couple of times so that you can get a feel for what is going on. Get a feel for if she's seing anyone, that sort of stuff.
Now once you're in her good graces and there appears to be no guy in the way, make a move if it feels right. Should things work out right, go for a nice casual evening out to get a further feel for things before doing anything too fancy...It might jsut work out!

yeah, I love my NY plates... and it is a great conversation piece. Make them more noticeable? damnit! now i am thinking about putting my front plate and bracket back on... I took them off because the bumper looks so cool, but I did like the New York plate on the front, and people would always ask me about it.... ugh.... do I want my car to look better or do I want a conversation piece?!?

When you say "give it a couple times" do you mean go back a few times and talk to her, or wait for awhile in the conversation?

How would I ask a girl if she has a b/f? I never really did that... should I just be like, are you seeing anyone?

Also, now that I moved to a larger city, there are many things to do.... BEACH! I love the beach, and one of the piers is absolutly beautiful (Pier 60, if familer with the area) to go all the way out you gotta pay 50cents/person, but its dead quiet and really nice... that would be a nice place to take a girl... well, maybe Starbucks or something at first, she make not like being alone on a first date or something.

Mike.... I know what you mean, and when I am around some people, espeically one of my old friends from HS... he is the most outgoing person you'd ever see.... he would go up to ANY girl and just start talking... he was always trying to help me out too :) I guess I just gotta stop worrying about what other people will think about me.

Ah, damnit, now I am gonna put my front plate back on tomorrow! I can always take it back off... hell, maybe I'll get once of those nice chrome frames to make it look better, so I won't feel so bad.

Also, I think another thing is how I feel about myself personally. I am overweight and don't give myself the credit I deserve, I dunno so I always have this feeling in myself that I am not good enough etc... Although my build type is husky, so if I start working out and get more active like I want to do, build up my muscles etc... maybe I'll start to have more self confidence and such.

illumina
11-08-05, 01:36 AM
Also, next time you see her, and if appropriate, you could ask her so "who was that guy you were talking to?" If the opportunity comes up.

Ummm...I would actually be really careful with that one should they meet. If it was a boyfriend/whatever, it will come out one way or the other. I wouldn't ask that one at all because it might sound a little intrusive :tisk: :D :p

Ralph
11-08-05, 01:39 AM
Ummm...I would actually be really careful with that one should they meet. If it was a boyfriend/whatever, it will come out one way or the other. I wouldn't ask that one at all because it might sound a little intrusive :tisk: :D :p

I realized that after....see what I added in that post about her "personality."

Maybe after Rick gets to know her a little better, he could ask....I would definately ask because who knows what's going on.

He could always say "do you remember me?? I saw you with that guy sitting over there, and you said hi to me......" etc. then she might explain on her own who it was....

and I say so what if she has a BF, you can still talk to her....

Night Wolf
11-08-05, 01:42 AM
lol, how cool would it be to be like... so would you like to go bowling sometime?

then if she says yes, be like great!....err.... you'll have to show me where the bowling ally is, I just moved here :)

ah well.... whatta ya gonna do?

Yeah asking her about who it was may seem like I am watching over her and stuff..... not what I would want, but if it ever became the subject, who knows.

Ralph
11-08-05, 01:44 AM
Yeah asking her about who it was may seem like I am watching over her and stuff..... not what I would want, but if it ever became the subject, who knows.

That's why you go there a few times, and she will become more comfortable with you...become her friend even, then she may even bring it up........no biggie.

Good point, you are new in town.......good line to use!!

Night Wolf
11-08-05, 01:44 AM
I'd just hate to fall into the ""oh, just another sleezy guy" category... yeah yeah, I know who gives a damn... but...ahhhhh!

Ralph
11-08-05, 01:49 AM
Some girls dig sleezy guys. You just never know....:cool2:

illumina
11-08-05, 02:01 AM
yeah, I love my NY plates... and it is a great conversation piece. Make them more noticeable? damnit! now i am thinking about putting my front plate and bracket back on... I took them off because the bumper looks so cool, but I did like the New York plate on the front, and people would always ask me about it.... ugh.... do I want my car to look better or do I want a conversation piece?!?

Yeah, a good conversation piece is a very good start. Besides, a nice Caddy like the '93 Coupe Deville and NY plates could also add some "Goodfellas" look there...:D

When you say "give it a couple times" do you mean go back a few times and talk to her, or wait for awhile in the conversation?

Go and talk to her a couple of times. But don't make it so you're just there for her; she might be wise to that and freak out...Just ask her something perhaps about her work, or even a good place to hang out since you're new in town. Work from there, and by the third or so time, you'll be able to get a good feel for what is going on...

How would I ask a girl if she has a b/f? I never really did that... should I just be like, are you seeing anyone?

Not at first!!! Like I said before, start with small talk and see where that will lead. If she does have a guy in the picture, then it will eventually come out on the first or second conversation, and you'll know before you take any more steps.

Also, I think another thing is how I feel about myself personally. I am overweight and don't give myself the credit I deserve, I dunno so I always have this feeling in myself that I am not good enough etc... Although my build type is husky, so if I start working out and get more active like I want to do, build up my muscles etc... maybe I'll start to have more self confidence and such.

Don't feel this way dude. I did this to myself for the longest time and it was so not worth my time in doing so.

Personally, I'm a fairly large guy myself. I am 6'2" tall and in the 250 lbs. range. A good way to get some confidence about yourself is to mayber work out some, maybe even take up some Martial Arts or something like that.

Night Wolf
11-08-05, 02:11 AM
Caddy... NY plates... 100% Italian..... I'll have to wear a plain white t-shirt.... I think I could pass the Goodfellas look :)

Well, i think I have a few things to say if the time came up again, or for the future, Hoepfully I'll be able to tell if there is a guy in the picture or not, shoudln't be too hard.

I am 5'9", not the tallest.... I am now 210lbs... sucks that I gained some.... but at my apartment complex there is a work out room and stuff, so I am gonna make an effort to start going there. martial arts... eh, I did it for a few years back, really didn't do anything to get me in shape, and while it was somewhat fun, I don't think I want to do it again.... and it was $100/month like 6 years ago!

Eh, just as I was pissed off about the paint on my car turning to junk... I now accept that and realize thats the way it is, I guess I just gotta do that with myself now. Hopefully the '93 Coupe's paint will hold off for another year and a half so I have a car that is still presentable.... although I am getting the '79 down here within the next 4 months or so... THAT is going to be fun... '79 Cadillac with NY plates, in really nice shape.... and not a 70 year old grandpa driving it :) damn, I can't wait... that car is so much more presentable then the Coupe as well.

Plus at $120/pop or so, I want to get the windows in *both* cars tinted.... they need it :)

illumina
11-08-05, 02:27 AM
Caddy... NY plates... 100% Italian..... I'll have to wear a plain white t-shirt.... I think I could pass the Goodfellas look :)
Well, i think I have a few things to say if the time came up again, or for the future, Hoepfully I'll be able to tell if there is a guy in the picture or not, shoudln't be too hard.
I am 5'9", not the tallest.... I am now 210lbs... sucks that I gained some.... but at my apartment complex there is a work out room and stuff, so I am gonna make an effort to start going there. martial arts... eh, I did it for a few years back, really didn't do anything to get me in shape, and while it was somewhat fun, I don't think I want to do it again.... and it was $100/month like 6 years ago!
Eh, just as I was pissed off about the paint on my car turning to junk... I now accept that and realize thats the way it is, I guess I just gotta do that with myself now. Hopefully the '93 Coupe's paint will hold off for another year and a half so I have a car that is still presentable.... although I am getting the '79 down here within the next 4 months or so... THAT is going to be fun... '79 Cadillac with NY plates, in really nice shape.... and not a 70 year old grandpa driving it :) damn, I can't wait... that car is so much more presentable then the Coupe as well.
Plus at $120/pop or so, I want to get the windows in *both* cars tinted.... they need it :)

Yeah, Martial Arts isn't for everyone, but I did it for a very long time and I have been wanting to get back in full-time. I did the mixed martial arts thing. The gym at your apartment complex is a good place to start. If it's free, then go for it.

Also, my paint on the '91 Seville is losing the clear-coat on some parts too. I will have to get that re-shot once I get the new bumper is installed (again). If you haven't seen the thread yet, I just purchased a 1989 Sedan Deville for $400.00, so I have my work cut out on some projects too...But I am certain to have some fun with it all :lildevil:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-08-05, 02:52 AM
Just tell her you have a Cadillac, she'll be at your knees in seconds! :golden:

Night Wolf
11-08-05, 03:26 AM
Yeah, Martial Arts isn't for everyone, but I did it for a very long time and I have been wanting to get back in full-time. I did the mixed martial arts thing. The gym at your apartment complex is a good place to start. If it's free, then go for it.
Also, my paint on the '91 Seville is losing the clear-coat on some parts too. I will have to get that re-shot once I get the new bumper is installed (again). If you haven't seen the thread yet, I just purchased a 1989 Sedan Deville for $400.00, so I have my work cut out on some projects too...But I am certain to have some fun with it all
yup, its free.... so I want to do that, its mostly my gut I gotta work on... but I have my MP3 player, and with that, I can do almost anything, so a treadmil or bike or something, I dunno... I should start doing it.
I heard about the '89 DeVille, that is very cool!
Sadly with my clear coat, because it is Metallic (the paint) they can't just sand down the clear and re clear it.... it needs a total paint job...
that Macco thread got me thinking, since the car needs NO body work at all, if I was to strip it myself (I would prefer to) and bring it, how much they would charge for a repaint, and I will pop the trunk and show them the mint paint/clear coat on the underside (which I even waxed :) ) and be like, will the whole car look like this?
I dunno, but the paint has gotten so bad now, it is nearly on every body panel... when you first look at it, you wont notice it, at night, it looks new, 10 feet away you wont notice it... but I do, and it bugs the hell outta me...
thats why I am liking the '79 even more.. since the door got repainted, it looks perfect, no paint or body work problems....
if the Coupe didn't have the paint problems, it would be one of the most mint, daily driven examples of a '91-'93 Coupe.
the worst spot.... its gotten worse now:
http://inoventionseast.com/1993%20DeVille/2005_0819/PDR_0143.JPG
http://inoventionseast.com/1993%20DeVille/2005_0819/PDR_0144.JPG
starting on the whole front of the fender, same with the other one now:
http://inoventionseast.com/1993%20DeVille/2005_0819/PDR_0145.JPG
peeling paint, and damaged chrome piece I need to replace *actually not the cars fault* <--- not my fault either. Also, under the removed front plate bracket, the paint is all peeled.
http://inoventionseast.com/1993%20DeVille/2005_0819/PDR_0146.JPG
paint peeling on lower plastic door trim, so I have somewhat matching Buick touch up paint that, while it looks like crap, looks better then white plastic:
http://inoventionseast.com/1993%20DeVille/2005_0819/PDR_0151.JPG
http://inoventionseast.com/1993%20DeVille/2005_0819/PDR_0153.JPG
clear going on the trunk lid.... also getting worse:
http://inoventionseast.com/1993%20DeVille/2005_0819/PDR_0154.JPG
there is now a spot in this same area, but right in the middle where it is going BTW those are water spots that were cleaned a looong time ago (old pics) :)
http://inoventionseast.com/1993%20DeVille/2005_0819/PDR_0155.JPG
So as you can see the paint is like cancer, I am totally disgusted with it, and it is unable to be spot fixed, the car needs a total repaint, a quality repaint.
When it gets repainted (it will) I am going to get a new front bumper, new grille, new head lights... I already have the new parking lights that go in the bumper, and I have a new right cornering lamp so I'll get a left one. My rear bumper is fine, and I need that new chrome trim piece on the front bumper... the rest of the chrome, while kinda sun fadded, is perfectly fine... THEN, she'll be looking freakin amazing!
I am not doing that until I have a garage, or some sort of covered area for her though.
I also want to buy a new dash pad and both left and right arm rests while I still can.
All horizontal surfaces will turn to crap while the sides are like new, thats exactly what my '89 Olds was like... by 1993 GM had the lighter colors good, but the dark colors... well, you see mine.
You know the worst part? this car was MINT! when I bought her in June '03, now I NEVER neglected the car, it is just from GM's crappy painting process.... but think about it, at age 16 I was driving around a 10 year old really mint Cadillac. Now, at 18, the car is looking like crap.... ummm... as you get older aren't you supposed to drive around better looking cars? *that* is what kills me the most.. I know that this car used to be perhaps the best 1993 Coupe I have ever seen... and now it is fallen into the rest of the fading clear coat cars that look like junk... it really, really gets me mad.
I am going to include some pics... the pics of my Oldsmobile are when I first got her, the clear coat on that guy had the same problem... sides were fine, hood, roof and trunk were trashed, and the next step from there was the massive surface rust you see on cars.... this picture is a direct example of what my Coupe will look like in... oh, about 3 years.
The other pics of the Coupe are pictures from the dealer (in Orlando, FL) when I first bought the car, to show just how freakin clean the thing was.
BTW you'll see the hood ornamnet, trunk lock cover, and 4.9 badge all missing, they claimed their cars got vandalized. The price of the car was "obo" but they didn't want to budge, so we said to get all new gold badges, and they did. The hood ornament is already dull and the gold has worn off, but I removed that and put a chrome one I bought off ebay on, I like it better and it dosn't scream "steal me"....as much.
So ya see... its only a matter of time before the Caddy looks like the Olds first did... its a shame, it really is, but there is nothing I can do about it. The interior is as mint as it could be for a 13 year old daily driver with 111k miles, the engine is spotless, inside, it is like a brand new engine, the drivetrain is great etc... I have the new wheels, soooooo many parts on the car are all new and replaced, I would trust it to go around the world and back.... but it wont win any car shows!

DopeStar 156
11-09-05, 02:54 AM
You don't wanna come off too forward with a girl. It's a major turn off if you walk up and start interrogating her right there asking all kinds of questions. If she's got a boyfriend, you'll find out soon enough but hopefully not like I have before and found myself hopping out windows and fire escapes leaving rubber trails behind, or ducking left hooks......

Like I advised before, just be cool and don't think so much, just let yourself run wild and just do whatever. The impending rewards are more than great. Much like today where I got my legs felt up (below the knees) in Contemporary Math because m'lady was sitting in front of me. Haha whoops, I mean nothing......

Also I'm curious, since you're now a Floridian and won't be experiencing any more biting new england winters, what will become of the Oldsmobile? I mean you're now living in an apartment complex and I'm not sure how much room you'll have for all three cars. Plus the Olds really doesn't serve it's purpose as a winter beater car anymore. That thought crossed my mind as I was typing here.....

70eldo
11-09-05, 06:06 AM
Sounds like a typical case of: 'an opportunity looks bigger going than coming'.

But you got a NO and you can make it a YES if you work on it. Take your chances. And there will be a lot more of those occasions in life man!

In general, just make it a nice conversation and work from there. As you say you feel confident enough once you are in a conversation, you will find yourself beyond that too. Go Wolf!

Night Wolf
11-09-05, 07:32 AM
You don't wanna come off too forward with a girl. It's a major turn off if you walk up and start interrogating her right there asking all kinds of questions. If she's got a boyfriend, you'll find out soon enough but hopefully not like I have before and found myself hopping out windows and fire escapes leaving rubber trails behind, or ducking left hooks......
Like I advised before, just be cool and don't think so much, just let yourself run wild and just do whatever. The impending rewards are more than great. Much like today where I got my legs felt up (below the knees) in Contemporary Math because m'lady was sitting in front of me. Haha whoops, I mean nothing......
Also I'm curious, since you're now a Floridian and won't be experiencing any more biting new england winters, what will become of the Oldsmobile? I mean you're now living in an apartment complex and I'm not sure how much room you'll have for all three cars. Plus the Olds really doesn't serve it's purpose as a winter beater car anymore. That thought crossed my mind as I was typing here.....

Heh, the Oldsmobile was only the "$500 winter beater" for the first 2 months of ownership, once Aug 13th, 2004 rolled around, I had all 3cars on the road at the same time :) I *chose* to drive that car over the Caddy many times, for many reasons, I had the car registered a total of 18 months or so, yet I put 15,000 miles on it... and that wasn't on the road from mid April-Augest of '04 :) that is just the Olds too, other cars got miles on the too :)

The Olds is now off the road. They will allow 2 years at my complex, so when the '79 comes down I *may* keep it here.... I don't know how I feel about that, don't want to come acorss as some rich snobby kid... so I may keep one car at my mothers and her finacee's new place about 180 miles away.... maybe swich every 2 weeks or whenever I feel like it.

The Oldsmobile has a rust/rot issue on the underbody. Bad to me, but typical of the chassis for GM. Some things need to be fixed, like the front left bolt that mounts the driver seat... the area around the bolt rotted out and it pulled thru. Other things like the bottoms of the A pillars are rotted, there is an actual hole under the back seat etc... I will have to see, I am still undecided if I should attempt to fix it (basically sawzall good parts from a wrecked car down here and weld them in my car) or just say to hell with it and keep on driving it...... its a matter of do I just want to drive the car (which I really want to do) or do I want it to be there for a looooooong time (which never was the case.... but now that I havn't been around it, I am starting to think otherwise)

Once my mothers/finacee's house gets built, They will let me put up those car garage tents on the property (10 acres) so the Olds will probably come down then.... they don't like the idea of me having so many cars... espeicallly if I am getting a Jeep next... but I dunno, cars are my passion, and when I see the Oldsmobile, it is worth more to me how it is right now, weather for cheap transportation, or just the fact is was 1 of 3 cars I had at 16, then say... $500 I would get for it. Really, the best thing I can do is get a house as soon as I can in life, I would like a handy man special that is still liveable while being fixed up, on atlest an acre or so, so I am able to put up a garage or something and store these 3 cars, while I also get a Jeep..... I dunno, I think I'll end up never ever getting rid of any car I own :)

While it wasn't anything special...'89 Olds Eighty Eight Royale, and really I can't see it being a classic like, say a '55 Olds 88, it'll still be pretty neat, and like I said, means more to be then what it would bring in cash.

davesdeville
11-09-05, 07:48 AM
That's why you go there a few times, and she will become more comfortable with you...become her friend even, then she may even bring it up........no biggie.
Good point, you are new in town.......good line to use!!

Having her comfortable around you? Yes. Becoming her friend? NOOO! :banghead:

Go and talk to her a couple of times. But don't make it so you're just there for her; she might be wise to that and freak out...Just ask her something perhaps about her work, or even a good place to hang out since you're new in town. Work from there, and by the third or so time, you'll be able to get a good feel for what is going on...
Not at first!!! Like I said before, start with small talk and see where that will lead. If she does have a guy in the picture, then it will eventually come out on the first or second conversation, and you'll know before you take any more steps.

So what if she knows you're there for her? I mean if you're interested in her, no need to hide that, especially if you're just going to ask her out anyway. Same with asking if she's seeing someone. Of course you're going to be doing some small talk to get the ball rolling... then just ask, if she is (or just isn't into you,) she'll say so, then you politely finish up the small talk and bail. If she's not and doesn't react badly to the question, you're in, ask her out right then or soon afterwards or she'll know you're into her but think you don't have the cojones to ask.

Honestly though that probably would've cought me off guard as well. Having the older dude there would've made it harder to come up with a response. I probably would've asked her about something... anything. I would avoid asking her name if the guy was there, or anything remotely personal at first. Directions somewhere would be great to continue the convesation by saying "thanks, I just moved here, not too familiar with the area..."

Night Wolf
11-10-05, 12:58 AM
So what if she knows you're there for her? I mean if you're interested in her, no need to hide that, especially if you're just going to ask her out anyway. Same with asking if she's seeing someone. Of course you're going to be doing some small talk to get the ball rolling... then just ask, if she is (or just isn't into you,) she'll say so, then you politely finish up the small talk and bail. If she's not and doesn't react badly to the question, you're in, ask her out right then or soon afterwards or she'll know you're into her but think you don't have the cojones to ask.
Honestly though that probably would've cought me off guard as well. Having the older dude there would've made it harder to come up with a response. I probably would've asked her about something... anything. I would avoid asking her name if the guy was there, or anything remotely personal at first. Directions somewhere would be great to continue the convesation by saying "thanks, I just moved here, not too familiar with the area..."

Heh, yeah that last part makes good sense! I never thought about that.

Ralph
11-10-05, 01:03 AM

Just playing the cautious route for Rick if he is too shy, etc. Better to be a "friend" first and they naturally let the "romance" come naturally/eventually, as opposed to scaring her off because she thinks it's too foreward and gives poor Rick the heave ho right off the bat. (some good things are worth taking time for)

I think it depends on how she reacts to small talk and her visable personality. If she is fun-loving (and obviously she is not shy) then perhaps Rick can "bite the bullet" earlier on and ask her out on a genuine date immediately.......if she is more reserved and shy, I would recommend Rick lets her become a little more familiar with him, then ask her out for coffee or whatever.....it's also up to Rick and how comfortable he feels around her, etc.

hope that clarifies. Definately play the "I'm new in town" line and show the plate on the car.......good convo piece, for sure.

illumina
11-10-05, 01:35 AM
Another post that was supposed to make a point. Sorry, I'll get back later...

DopeStar 156
11-10-05, 03:14 AM
Just playing the cautious route for Rick if he is too shy, etc. Better to be a "friend" first and they naturally let the "romance" come naturally/eventually, as opposed to scaring her off because she thinks it's too foreward and gives poor Rick the heave ho right off the bat. (some good things are worth taking time for)
Here, here. Well spoken. Start small and work your way up. Never hurts. I'm a big believer in fate so if it's supposed to work out, it will.

davesdeville
11-10-05, 05:29 AM
Once you're a friend, that's it game over. There are 3 billion girls out there, if it doesn't work out with 1, move on ASAP you're not gonna run out (unless you live in some tiny ass town.) I don't want to spend weeks or months on one only to find out I have a friend when I really wasn't looking for a friend.

I think it depends on how she reacts to small talk and her visable personality. If she is fun-loving (and obviously she is not shy) then perhaps Rick can "bite the bullet" earlier on and ask her out on a genuine date immediately.......if she is more reserved and shy, I would recommend Rick lets her become a little more familiar with him, then ask her out for coffee or whatever....

Well sure, but a little more familiar is a long way from being a friend.

zonie77
11-10-05, 11:53 AM
I had the same problem at your age. As hard as it might be you should take some kind of public speaking class. Toastmasters, community college, Dale Carnegie (expensive but good). At CC there are a lot of classes that might help. Some kind of interpersonal communication class or sales class.

I've done it since but sure wish I would have done it in high school. It helps you in any stressful situation. Interviews where you might get stressed are much easier.

Principles of salesmanship (something like marketing 151) was good. Taught you how to arrange and present info in the best way. Plus you got to do some speaking. A lot depends on the teacher. If you take night courses you often get someone working in the field who just teaches as a side job because they like it. That's a big difference from high school teachers.

I've heard good comments on some of the communication classes too.

zonie77
11-10-05, 12:02 PM
Nightwolf,

On the paint job... Doing a lot of the work youself is a great idea. There are some good books available and some libraries even have them ( Phx has a surprising number on custom painting).

Basically you take as much off as possible, clean all the old wax-even if it hasn't been waxed in years-, sand it down, then take it in.

Talk to the shop beforehand. Not every shop will paint it if you did the prep. You may even get a regular shop to paint it at a good price. Paint has gotten very expensive so brand makes a big difference, both in quality and cost.

Sanding is not rocket science but it's critical to do it properly so you don't have waves and dips.

Even if you wind up with Maaco doing it, the amount of prep you do gives you a better paint job.

zonie77
11-10-05, 03:43 PM
A thought about taking classes...
It's a lot like taking martial arts ( I took Aikido ) in that you practice what you will do in certain situations. Then you can react quickly and effectively!

addison_ii
11-10-05, 05:41 PM
Nightwolf, I understand completely. I'm a shy guy as well. Thinking about what to say gets you everytime, because you overthink it and then say nothing or say nothing close to what you really wanted to. In my case it was helpful to not think about what to say just take a deep breath, clear your thoughts and let it flow.

Stoney, I've got to come to Florida and hang out with you and the whole Florida clique. You're one funny guy. You get manpoints for the girl/instructor story.

Ralph
11-11-05, 02:41 AM
Once you're a friend, that's it game over. There are 3 billion girls out there, if it doesn't work out with 1, move on ASAP you're not gonna run out (unless you live in some tiny ass town.) I don't want to spend weeks or months on one only to find out I have a friend when I really wasn't looking for a friend.

Well sure, but a little more familiar is a long way from being a friend.

I do not believe it is "game over" once you become friends with a girl. I think that if you become friends first, it may lead to a longer-lasting "relationship." Familiarity can breed trust and commonalities that two can share, because you spend the time to find out about their interests, etc. I think it's more likely to have a shorter duration "relationship" if you just jump in the sack with them......and it's meaningless.

Don't get me wrong, BOTH have their advantages and disadvantages, but it depends moreso on what Rick wants, ie. a long lasting relationship, or a quick thing that may mean nothing....there is a third possibility.......a quick "thing" may also lead to a lasting relationship.