: Audiophile?

powerglide
11-07-05, 07:10 PM
So I was thinking of plopping down some money on a nice sound system. (for my home)

Listening to my friends Mcintosh Vacuum Tube amp blew me away.
I mean the thing only put out like 10 watts (apparently in hifi world, lower amplification is cleaner signal) but it sounded phenomenal.
Very eerie like there were people in the room with you......you can tell where the players were standing on the sound stage and even hear the guys footstep as he moved from one end of the instrument to the other!!

Anyways, anyone know much about Tube Amps and such?
(I have a feeling McC5's gonna know quite a bit about this :)

Specifically how to match amp/speaker to get good results (I know there are Tube friendly speakers and non-tube friendly speakers....something about linear impedance)

Also, I'd like to get some info about "relatively" cheap but good Tube Amps.....I can't afford them friggin McIntosh amps.....MAN they are expensive!

90Brougham350
11-07-05, 08:37 PM
I know what you're saying, McIntosh makes the finest audio equipment in the world. However, Marantz makes some great older tubed amps. Nothing sounds as good as a tubed amp I believe, but some people don't like the "warm" sound. However, a system only sounds as good as its weakest link. That means quality cables, quality speakers, and a quality pre-amp. If you're not careful, you can spend thousands; my roomate did. Ebay is gonna be your best bet if you really want a McIntosh or any type of tubed amp. Audiogon works too. Check the local paper, sometimes older gentlemen have equipment like this. And you're correct about a cleaner signal. If the signal is very clean, it will take less wattage to produce a better sound, not to mention often times older amps like McIntoshs are underated. Good luck. You've got the bug now, haha.

www.audiogon.com
www.ebay.com

JC316
11-07-05, 08:43 PM
It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. The tube amps are ok, but I have heard that the life isn't too good on them. Bose, Infinity, JBL, Klipsch, Polk, and Yamaha are all very good amps and speakers. Give me $'s and I can give you equipment in that range. I had an amp that could push 500 watt speakers to their limit and rattle my whole house at half volume! I never did find out the brand, but it rivaled the sound you get from a wrestling event or a hockey game. I had to use ear plugs just to get close enough to turn it off.

Night Wolf
11-07-05, 08:44 PM
Welcome to the world of Hi-Fi in the home :)

I, personally specialize in vintage (70's) Solid State, so my tube knowladge isn't *that* good....

Mac makes amazing tube gear, in fact you could get some of their older tube amps (70's) for alot cheaper then you could new stuff.

10 watts per channel from a tube amp is not too bad... it isn't that lower watts mean better sound... but if you are going to pay, say $200 for a 100watt x 2 amp or $1,000 for a 10watt x 2 amp... which do you think will be better?

Also tube amps are rated different, a saying in to audio world is that tube watts are double that of SS watts.... for the most part it is true.

Also, that tube amp is 10watts x 2 RMS... that means it'll put out a steady 10watts into each channel, now in music there are peaks up to 10x the average output... This is where the big guys are seperated from the little boys :)

What you mention about being able to hear where the people are and such, that is called sound stage, the abaility for the speakers to work in unisom with each other, so if you close your eyes, you can't tell where the sound is coming from is called imaging, tubes or SS.... when you get into hi-fi, these 2 things come into play.

some speakers work much better with tubes then others...

but I will say one thing, tubes are kind of like vinyl LP vs CD.... they are much more work and require more care then SS gear, but if you know what you are doing, they are much more rewarding.

If you are handy with electronics, there are tube amp and pre amp kits that you can build yourself... to get very good tube quality sound for cheap.

If you are looking for a great sounding audio system in the house, I would honestly say to go with SS gear instead of tubes.... though if you are set on tubes, then go for it... but it seems to me, in your case SS would fit you better.

powerglide
11-07-05, 08:52 PM
Yeah, I totally agree.

The problem is my friend just spent 12,000 bucks on some fancy speakers and offered to sell me his old set (10 months old) for pretty cheap (like less than a grand)

(he has an awesome system, including 2 McC tube amps)

So the problem is that if I buy these, then I am forced to buy a good amp, CD player, Cables etc... (his recomendation is a 25 watt tube amp around 5000$!! INsanely high for me)

So I am worried that this 'great buy' on the speakers might actually lead me down a slippery slope where I end up spending 10 times the 'savings' on the speakers on components.....is it a blessing or curse....

Night Wolf
11-07-05, 08:52 PM
It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. The tube amps are ok, but I have heard that the life isn't too good on them. Bose, Infinity, JBL, Klipsch, Polk, and Yamaha are all very good amps and speakers. Give me $'s and I can give you equipment in that range. I had an amp that could push 500 watt speakers to their limit and rattle my whole house at half volume! I never did find out the brand, but it rivaled the sound you get from a wrestling event or a hockey game. I had to use ear plugs just to get close enough to turn it off.

omg...not Bose... Bose is complete and utter JUNK, do not waste any money on their stuff... while the other brands you mentioned are entry-level (for the most part) Bose shoudln't even be compared to them...ugh...

I know what you're saying, McIntosh makes the finest audio equipment in the world. However, Marantz makes some great older tubed amps. Nothing sounds as good as a tubed amp I believe, but some people don't like the "warm" sound. However, a system only sounds as good as its weakest link. That means quality cables, quality speakers, and a quality pre-amp. If you're not careful, you can spend thousands; my roomate did. Ebay is gonna be your best bet if you really want a McIntosh or any type of tubed amp. Audiogon works too. Check the local paper, sometimes older gentlemen have equipment like this. And you're correct about a cleaner signal. If the signal is very clean, it will take less wattage to produce a better sound, not to mention often times older amps like McIntoshs are underated. Good luck. You've got the bug now, haha.

Eh, I wouldn't say they make *THE* finest gear in the world... that is a pretty broad statement, but I will say they make some of the best you can buy for lots of money. Marantz is good as well, Rotel is another... I have been out of the hi-fi world for a couple years now, and even then I wasn't into the modern stuff, so my memory is fuzzy with that. The system is only as good as the weakest link, but the one part that will completly make or break a system is the speakers, followed by the amp. While it is arguable if cables will make a difference or not, I woudln't waste money on them... I am not saying use the POS patch cables that come with a $40 DVD player, but something in the $50 range is good, definitly don't need to spend $100+ on cables... it won't make a difference. Also while Monster is *ok* for cables, they are one of the only mass market brands at Best Buy and Circuit city, so don't think they are the best you can get... yu can get better cables for cheaper, but Monster isn't *too* bad, I have a couple of their cables.

Audiogon is pretty good, I bought my JBL's there a few years back... guy was trying to part them out but I snagged them before he sold any parts... I got them at a good price but they were rough, so I refurbished them.... look nice now, tho not perfect, I am happy with them :)

BTW if you would like to get into vintage gear, then I can tell you a whole bunch :)

powerglide
11-07-05, 08:58 PM
Yeah, bose and such are gimmicky plebian stuff....the speakers I am considering are Quads. (I used to run B&W's but when I heard these I was shocked, for the same money they were amazing)
You mentioned rotel, I was going to go that way for the amp and cd player but then its getting soooo expensive already.

Cables.....jeezus....this guy runs cables that cost $8000 ON SALE!!! I could not believe it! (I think they are listed for $12Gs) Its just copper wire and an insulator for petes sake!

Buy like you said, it has to be a balanced system or your weakest link will waste the rest of the system......thats my conundrum (all or nothing)

SpeedyArizona
11-07-05, 08:59 PM
Have you tried Boston Acoustics? They make some great equipment, almost a bargain compared to Bose.

I enjoy a quality sound system, and a couple years when I was buying a new home speaker system, a friend suggested I try Boston Acoustics. My system is in-wall since I don't like bulky equipment lying around the house. They do however make some great amps for a relatively small amount for what you get.

Here's what I bought:

(6) VRi553 In-Wall (2 for the bedroom, 2 for the kitchen, and 2 for the master bath)
(2) VRi593 In-Wall (for the living room)
(2) VRi585 In-Ceiling (for the living room)
(2) Voyager 6 Outdoor equipment

I thought the cost was out-of-line when I first had them, but after a few months I couldn't live without this sound.

Try the A7200 amplifier. This will no doubt fill in the need for a quality sound amp. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/home_product.aspx?category_id=60&product_id=335

EcSTSatic
11-07-05, 08:59 PM
And just think, in a nuclear strike your tube system will still work while everyone else's solid state systems will be dead from the EMP! :highfive:

Night Wolf
11-07-05, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I totally agree.

The problem is my friend just spent 12,000 bucks on some fancy speakers and offered to sell me his old set (10 months old) for pretty cheap (like less than a grand)

(he has an awesome system, including 2 McC tube amps)

So the problem is that if I buy these, then I am forced to buy a good amp, CD player, Cables etc... (his recomendation is a 25 watt tube amp around 5000$!! INsanely high for me)

So I am worried that this 'great buy' on the speakers might actually lead me down a slippery slope where I end up spending 10 times the 'savings' on the speakers on components.....is it a blessing or curse....

What kind of speakers? get the make and model, and how much he will sell them to you for, we can go form there.

Also, building up a sound system isn't a one shot deal... thats the fun of it, think about it as a classic muscle car that you are driving as you restore it... if you get quality speakers, you do not need to buy everything all at once. The first thing you will want to do is get a quality amp, so that is where I would put most the money (after the speakers), for the time being, use a cd player you already have or even a DVD player... then get a decent soruce (CD player) again, you don't need new, my CD player was made in 1991, but I would have to spend literally at least $600+ to get a player better then what I have. Like I said, do not waste money on expensive cables, atleast not right now.

Also as I mentioned before, I wouldn't get a tube amp.... $5,000 is quite a bit for someone just starting out with audio (to spend on an amp)

honestly, I would get a vintage SS receiver or integrated amp... for under $1,000 you could get an amzing amp that would really amaze you.

powerglide
11-07-05, 09:08 PM
Yeah actually Boston Acoustics made good stuff (and some crap...like these computer speakers I've got on my desk here...) I have used them in the car but not at home. For the most part though, names like Boston, Bose, Yamaha etc that most of us recognize are really not audiophile components.......most audiophile stuff have wierd names you never heard of like Quad, Rotel, Almaro, Grado, Tanoy.....all pretty new to me.

powerglide
11-07-05, 09:12 PM
What kind of speakers? get the make and model, and how much he will sell them to you for, we can go form there.
Also, building up a sound system isn't a one shot deal... thats the fun of it, think about it as a classic muscle car that you are driving as you restore it... if you get quality speakers, you do not need to buy everything all at once. The first thing you will want to do is get a quality amp, so that is where I would put most the money (after the speakers), for the time being, use a cd player you already have or even a DVD player... then get a decent soruce (CD player) again, you don't need new, my CD player was made in 1991, but I would have to spend literally at least $600+ to get a player better then what I have. Like I said, do not waste money on expensive cables, atleast not right now.
Also as I mentioned before, I wouldn't get a tube amp.... $5,000 is quite a bit for someone just starting out with audio (to spend on an amp)
honestly, I would get a vintage SS receiver or integrated amp... for under $1,000 you could get an amzing amp that would really amaze you.

for sure! No way I am gonna blow that kinda dough on home audio when I'm drivin a 8 year old car :)

the speakers are Quad L series....forgot the model number. 1 25 mm tweeter and 1 6.5 inch kevlar mid/bass in a floor standing unit. The reviews are phenomenal, I think they cost about $1300 new and supposed to be as good as most $5000 units......from my listening experience I believe it. (It sounds better than my B&Ws for sure) I think he wants about 700 bucks.

Night Wolf
11-07-05, 09:17 PM
Honestly, Boston Acoustics is nothing special... yeah, its better then most of the stuff you'll find at Best Buy, but it is entry-level for the most part.

Anyway, you mention the speakers are Quads? do you know the model or anything?

$8,000 on cables? While I believe it, and back when I was in the hobby, I saw much more.... but really, $8,000 cables are not going to make or break a system, at that point it is more of "look what I have" or makes the person feel better inside.... or the fact that they are using $8k cables on their $20k sound system... ya know? really, $50 will buy you as decent of a cable you'll need.

Honestly, to start off, I would get a Sansui AU-919. Its an amazing integrated amp, then just add a tuner and a cd player. If you don't need as much power, you could get the 717, or 517, they are all in the same family, but the AU-919 is a beast of an amp, built like a tank and surpurb quality, the 717 is the same, just slightly less power, but you can get it cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SANSUI-AU-717-Integrated-Amplifier-With-Rack-Handles_W0QQitemZ5826379842QQcategoryZ67785QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SpeedyArizona
11-07-05, 09:27 PM
Honestly, Boston Acoustics is nothing special... yeah, its better then most of the stuff you'll find at Best Buy, but it is entry-level for the most part.

Have you even heard Boston Acoustics sound? This is no $20,000 speaker system, but it sounds close to one. Some of their lower-end speakers don't do the name justice, but once you spend a little extra, you get some great sound. I'd at least suggest to try it before you rule it out, you'll probably change your mind quickly.

Night Wolf
11-07-05, 10:40 PM
Have you even heard Boston Acoustics sound? This is no $20,000 speaker system, but it sounds close to one. Some of their lower-end speakers don't do the name justice, but once you spend a little extra, you get some great sound. I'd at least suggest to try it before you rule it out, you'll probably change your mind quickly.

lol, quite simply....yes, I have heard them :)

Sound close to a $20,000 speaker? that must be some highly gloried BA :)

Yeah, they sound great if you compare it to the stuff at Best Buy.... but once you get out of all the mass market stuff, BA is nothing special.

Klipsch got into mass market by creating a line *lower* then their Reference line (used to be their entry level) so yeah, more profits for them, but sadly it brings down the name... just like JBL, their mass market stuff is nothing to write home about (although their older Studio sereis was pretty nice) but its a shame because people now don't think much of JBL, despite alot of quality gear they make.

Yamaha makes some nice home theatre receivers, thats about it. Sony, eh, only their ES gear is decent, stay away from their speakers! Polk and Infinity (JBL... its all Harmon) are pretty much the same, all turned mass market now. While they have better lines, they are covered up by their mass market lower lines.

90Brougham350
11-07-05, 11:21 PM
Well, it's pretty much like the old adage, "how fast can you afford to go?" How good do you want your system to sound? If you ask me, nothing sounds like a tubed amp. However, I spend a decent amount of time listening with my roomate to different styles and sounds of music. McIntosh is definately in a league of its own. I mean, yeah, there's other quality amps out there, but when you walk into a guy's living room and see the blue analog guages lighting up and a pair of Nautilus or Martin Logan speakers, you know you're in for a good time. Right now in our college apartment, we have an Adcom amp and pre-amp, 2 B&W 3-way speakers, and a Velodyne subwoofer. It's amazing the difference in the sound you get from a $1500 amp and $600 speakers versus the crap I bought at Best Buy 5 years ago.

SpeedyArizona
11-07-05, 11:30 PM
It's amazing the difference in the sound you get from a $1500 amp and $600 speakers versus the crap I bought at Best Buy 5 years ago.

I think we can all agree on that. Whenever you go from cheap, mass-market equipment to more high end stereo equipment, you can easily tell the difference. Some people think that it's crazy to spend a few thousand bucks on audio equipment, but it's always evident that they've never listened to music on real equipment.

90Brougham350
11-07-05, 11:36 PM
I've gone a few times to some of the high-end luxury sound shoppes and listened to the premium equipment. I can't afford it, but it's really enjoyable to bring a CD in and ask to listen to it. The way it sounds makes you realize just how pathetic the crap most of us buy for our homes or the stock audio setup in a vehicle really is. But it does the job. Problem is it's hard to forget just how good it sounded!

Night Wolf
11-07-05, 11:49 PM
yes, it starts out that you spend a little to get alot.... then you start spending alot to get a little.

when building a sound system from the start, this is how I would spend my money:

50% - speakers
25% - amp/pre amp, integrated amp, receiver etc...
15% - soruce... tuner, cd player, turn table etc...
10% - misc. cables, speaker stands etc...

That is perhaps the best route you can go with any price point... other people will say otherwise, but thats how I feel is right.

So if you have a budget of $1,000

$500 would buy you a decent set of speakers... I would get a pair of used JBL S38 from ebay for about $250, then go to www.partsexpress.com and buy their basic DIY 10" 100 watt (somehwere aorund there) sub for $100.... by the time shipping is done with each, it'll be close to $500.

then $250 for the amp, for that price I would buy a Sansui AU-717 from ebay

$150 would get me a quality, vintage tuner... figure $40, a quality vintage turn table with cart, say another $40, that leaves $70 for a really good, but used cd player

then $100 for the needed RCA cables and speaker wires, the S38's would need stands, but I would put them on the entertainment center thing or something for now.

and that, is how you build a stereo system :)

BTW the tuners and turn tables you'll always find at thrift stores, good stuff too... sometimes you'll even score really good things too, so those prices are pretty accurate.

SpeedyArizona
11-07-05, 11:49 PM
I've gone a few times to some of the high-end luxury sound shoppes and listened to the premium equipment. I can't afford it, but it's really enjoyable to bring a CD in and ask to listen to it. The way it sounds makes you realize just how pathetic the crap most of us buy for our homes or the stock audio setup in a vehicle really is. But it does the job. Problem is it's hard to forget just how good it sounded!

Sometimes you just need to splurge, remember YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU :D!

JC316
11-08-05, 12:05 AM
Bose is not worth the price they want for it, but I like the sound they give.

I used to deal in vintage audio equipment and I have yet to hear anything that can match a Yamaha Natural sound reciever and a set of olson speakers. Awesome combo, perfect sound IMHO. I cant understand paying anywhere near $1000 bucks for audio.

powerglide
11-08-05, 02:05 AM
So I took you guys advice and started browsing for used solid state amps......I like rotel and adcom but I feel these are more AV amps.....how do you feel about NAD?

Night Wolf
11-08-05, 02:38 AM
NAD makes pretty good stuff. I think they are some of the better units you can get for under $1,000.

my friend has a NAD C-370 that he really likes, it is built well, has nice features and alot of power. His speakers are Axiom M80ti or something like that.

Keep in mind the NAD dosn't have a built in phono pre-amp, so if you are getting a turn table, you'll have to get a phono preamp.

Actually if you didn't want to get vintage SS gear, and wanted to spend around $500 for a high quality integrated amp, then I would reccomend the C-370, it is 120wpc, but REAL watts. The C-350 is cheaper and somewhere around 80wpc... also good but I would personally spend a little more and get more power.

* I just remembered, I think the C-350/C-370 are their older lines of amps, IIRC the new one is C-375, but don't hold me to that... check the website... but I would say NAD is a go!

Night Wolf
11-08-05, 02:44 AM
ok, the new one is a C-372, and has 150wpc.... not too bad... I would consider it.

http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_amplifiers/C372_framset.htm

powerglide
11-08-05, 12:26 PM
Thanks Rick!

I like nads, but many of em (and also rotel) are made in China which I am not a big fan of......thats whay I thought maybe the ADCOMS since they are built in the states.

Theres a bunch of adcoms on ebay, (also nads) so I am trying to narrow one down..... something like a GFA 545 II or something.....

Many of the amps on ebay are like 10 years old and thus I am on the fence....sounds like you have had no problems with vintage electronics right?

Well, the search continues.

Thanks for all your help!

Night Wolf
11-08-05, 05:00 PM
I like nads

Gosh, well.... coming out of the closet are we? I can't help ya there... :) jk

Yeah, the NAD is made in China... and I make fun od my friend for that... well I used to, we both havn't really been in the hobby that much lately...

we make fun of each others audio gear, but realize they are all quality pieces, have heard both the systems, and know we are joking... he was surprised when I reccomended the NAD...lol, I don't dislike it, I just teased him about it :)

Anyway, with that being said, I have heard that the NAD facilities in China are up to the highest standards, and that isn't an issue.

I can't help you much on Rotel or Adcom, I know they are both reputable brands, but as far as models go...ha... not me.

I have bought many, many receivers and amps on ebay.... these things were built to last! I swear the US Gov't could order Sansui 9090DB's to drop over in Iraq and the damn things would serve the same purpose:)

With that being said, (1) Sansui 9090DB (that I have since sold) was in rough shape, but worked, but there were pictures and I was aware of it. (1) Kenwood KR-8010 was described as having a couple issues, and while the auction didn't lie, it turned out that the part that was broke has not been made for 25 years (duh) and was impossible to find... there were a couple other issues, which basically forced me to use that receiver as a power amp, which I had no problem with because I had a second KR-8010 I controled the 2 amps with.

Basically if I were you I would do 1 of 2 things:

buy a vintage amp or receiver.... late 70's gear, IF you are interested, let me know I can really help you out here!

Otherwise, I would honestly just break down and buy a new NAD C-372. You can get a C-370 used on ebay, that would be another option, but they made some nice improvements to the C-372, plus on their website you can usually buy "B stock" items... they have a minor blemish that you can hardly see, but they can't sell for full price... so there might be a slight dent on the cover or a chip on the face plate and you save $120... see?

I have had great luck buying used off ebay though... I like said, these things are almost 30 years old, just make sure the pictures accuratly show it and the description is good.

You really can't go wrong with a new NAD C-372 though, probably the best integrated amp under $1,000 new you can buy. my friends C-370 is solid, built really nice inside and really shows its a quality unit.

powerglide
11-08-05, 05:16 PM
hehhehe thanks for taking that bait (I like nadS) :)
Yeah, I am sliding into the money pit of hifi......
....turns out I have to move to LA sooner than I thought, so I think I'll wait till I am setteled before stocking up on heavy and sensitive electronics for now......HOWEVER I am now slighlty obsessed with tube amps and figured I'll use this momentum and the fact that I am looking for a hobby/project (yup Caddy running too smooth and no problems) and try and build one of these Tube Kits.
Has anyone tried building a tube amp kit?
I am thinking of trying this one since its gotten great reviews...
either this one http://www.tubeaudio.com/page23.html
or the k-502 (which appears to be identical except suposedly better tubes)
I know I am not gonna get audiophile sound, but I think it will be fun and educational. If the reviews are correct, its supposed to sound alot better than your garden variety circuit city power amps.

Night Wolf
11-08-05, 05:33 PM
The same friend built a tube pre amp and restored some old Mcintosh tube amps...

Foreplay makes really nice tube kits, pre amp, power amp etc... I am not sure on the website but search google for Foreplay tube.... then siff thru the.....non-audio related sites :) or ust type Foreplay tube kit or something.

ok, here is the website, http://www.bottlehead.com/ Check them out, they are perhaps the best economical tube amp kits on the market!

powerglide
11-08-05, 06:07 PM
Thanks for that!
Really nice lookin kit, but costs about the same as them nads.....I'm guessing this tube amp building project is gonna be another slippery slope to a money pit too!

Elvis
11-08-05, 10:54 PM
I used to have some really nice Bose 301's. I put them in a storage building about seven years ago. Two weeks ago I retrieved them only to find that mice had eaten through the foam covers, the sponge rubber gaskets, and nested inside the box. Ruined.

That's okay though, because Dad has a pair he's not using anymore. He said I could have them until he decides he wants them again.

So I got curious--how much are these things worth?

ANSWER: $0.01 each, plus shipping. They're all over eBay.

Then I saw some 901's at the same price.

Then I saw some 501's for about the same.

Then I hit paydirt--601's, (my personal favorite) same thing. They're everywhere.

I realize shipping ain't cheap, but I really miss that rich sound and I don't want to pay top dollar for some new ones. Any caveats? Have any of you bought used speakers online?

Or how about this: Are these surround sound kits I see for around $300 any good? Has the technology improved that much since 1978? I've always believed that speakers were like engines: There's no replacement for DISPLACEMENT. Am I right, or not?

powerglide
11-08-05, 11:11 PM
Well, Bose is a name that splits the crowd.....I think they make some trippy stuff but they are really not considered audiophile stuff. (in fact alot of audio fanatics will come out and claim they are junk but let me be PC here :)

With that said I own some tiny ass bose speakers, that I use for the Home Theater purposes in a room where I don't have much space.

As for cheap home theater sets I think its a waste of money to be honest. Yeah they work, but not well at all.......I bet with the same $300 you can put together a MUCH better system buying pieces from ebay and craigslist.

I have purchsed cars, amplifiers, crossovers, golf clubs off of ebay and of the 25 purchses I have 'only' had a problem with two of them. So, I think its pretty good for a marketplace that amounts to an anonymous swap meet.

Elvis
11-09-05, 10:37 AM
Well, Bose is a name that splits the crowd.....I think they make some trippy stuff but they are really not considered audiophile stuff. (in fact alot of audio fanatics will come out and claim they are junk but let me be PC here :)

With that said I own some tiny ass bose speakers, that I use for the Home Theater purposes in a room where I don't have much space.

As for cheap home theater sets I think its a waste of money to be honest. Yeah they work, but not well at all.......I bet with the same $300 you can put together a MUCH better system buying pieces from ebay and craigslist.

I have purchsed cars, amplifiers, crossovers, golf clubs off of ebay and of the 25 purchses I have 'only' had a problem with two of them. So, I think its pretty good for a marketplace that amounts to an anonymous swap meet.

I've been lucky on eBay too. Only two bad experiences, one of them I got the merchandise AND got even. The other one was a 16-year-old kid and it was one of my first purchases. I didn't know how to spot a fraud yet.

I've sold a lot of stuff on there and my feedback is 100% good. I refuse to sell junk. The one time someone complained I apologized profusely, offered a complete refund and to pay the return shipping. They just decided to keep the stuff and gave me positive feedback anyway. It was a 1976 proof set of US coins. He probably only bid $5 more than he wanted to.

I always thought that the 301's I had were outstanding, and I knew someone with 601's that I thought were sheer perfection. If there's something better out there I would certainly consider it.

powerglide
11-09-05, 11:54 AM
I always thought that the 301's I had were outstanding, and I knew someone with 601's that I thought were sheer perfection. If there's something better out there I would certainly consider it.

Oh there are!

My buddy just bought the tersonic Igenium EFR!

Check out this list of high end speakers (and prices!!! some of these are SIX FIGURES!)

http://www.teresonic.com/technology.htm

Elvis
11-09-05, 04:21 PM
Oh there are!
My buddy just bought the tersonic Igenium EFR!
Check out this list of high end speakers (and prices!!! some of these are SIX FIGURES!)
http://www.teresonic.com/technology.htm

I'm bookmarking this thread. You and Nightwolf have given me several hours worth of reading material. I'll be an expert by Sunday. :bighead: :bonkers:

powerglide
11-09-05, 04:46 PM
LOL....enjoy! :thumbsup:

Night Wolf
11-10-05, 12:07 AM
lol, I don't want to hurt anyones feelings....

but Bose is absolute JUNK ..... the ONLY things they make that sound decent, are their factory car sound systems in our Caddys and other GM's

301,601,901 ..... they are all JUNK.... I can give sooooo many links "proving" why that theory is right... but believe me :)

Elvis
11-10-05, 09:46 AM
I can give sooooo many links "proving" why that theory is right... but believe me :)

Please do. I'm not being sarcastic. I only like them because that's all I've listened to since about 1978.

I remember somebody telling me that Klipsch (?) was good, and I've heard some good Pioneer speakers.

Any other brands I should look into?

powerglide
11-10-05, 11:54 AM
I started wading through some adiophile forums and discovered that there are many great speakers that I've never considered (low price)

Its funnny, most of the true fanatics (usually can't afford these big $ equipment) insist on building their own. They can put together very efficient systems (98+db) from reasonably priced stuff.

The one speaker that surprised me was that RadioShack (called RatShack in the 'community') put out a speaker in the mid 90's called the LX-4 (I believe). Costs about 60-90 bucks, and have been reviewed to be better than some 800+$ units. (in fact I cannot find a single one up for sale on eBay...so I'm guessing they al fell apart or people are not letting them go)

I think the difference that I am starting to realize is that most of us (me included) don't really understand what good sound is. (i.e. the true reproduction of the insput signal) I think thats why Bose 'sounds good' to many folks.....but in reality I think it sounds 'trippy' or unreal.

The people in the recording business know their stuff (obviously) and many swear by small 'bookshelf like' studio monitors that most of us commercial endusers never heard of.

Elvis
11-10-05, 02:00 PM
I think a lot of it depends on the kind of music you listen to.

I'm listening to a lot less synthesized or electronic music these days.

powerglide
11-10-05, 04:20 PM
Oh yeah thats true.....rap listeners are not gonna think the studio monitors are gonna cut it....

Its hard to benchmark synthesized sound, so most of the comparision is from real instruments or real vocals.

I'd say you fit the profile for a future audiophile!

Elvis
11-11-05, 09:45 AM
Poking around in the attic last night I discovered my wife's Pioneer "Quartet 50 II" speakers. They've been up there since August of 1999, suffered through seven summers and six winters.

I had entirely forgotten about them. When we were finally able to consolidate two houses into one, we put them away with a lot of other furniture. Just for fun I brought them down and plugged them in. They sound great compared to the bookshelf and wireless speakers we have scattered all around the house. These things can fill up a big room.

The foam surrounds on the 10" woofers are a little deteriorated. I'm going to buy a kit and fix that. It's a start.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-11-05, 10:30 AM
Well I Was gonna offer advice but you're shopping above my price bracket, lol!

I have a set of B&W 603s, a B&W Sub, a Denon amp and an Arcam CD player.

But then the main focus of the system is home cinema, althouh the Denon surround amp is pretty decent for music.

Elvis
11-11-05, 11:50 AM

One of the things I've read regarding the definition of a "true" audiophile is that they don't like to spend money! They're also minimalists, the fewer pieces of equipment the better.

I like that! :D

powerglide
11-11-05, 12:03 PM
The foam surrounds on the 10" woofers are a little deteriorated. I'm going to buy a kit and fix that. It's a start.

For sure! Try and find drivers with high efficiency, like 90db+! (That way you can drive them minimum power.....less power=better sound!)

I am actually close to buying one of these tube amp kits:

http://www.lh-electric.4t.com/sta44.htm

or maybe this one

http://www.tubeaudio.com/page23.html

the latter has received fantastic reviews, being compared to 800$+ amps.....but I like the chassis that comes with the STA....(I'm itchin for a little project)

I have a set of B&W 603s, a B&W Sub, a Denon amp and an Arcam CD player.

But then the main focus of the system is home cinema, althouh the Denon surround amp is pretty decent for music.

Not at all, those are some great components you got there! (I used to have 603's but I sold em.....I am kinda bummed about that)

Feel free to offer advice, please!