: Problems w/Differentials

CAROLINA CADDI
11-07-05, 09:18 AM
Has anyone had problems w/ their front or read differentials. I've had both front & rear rebuilt earlier this yr. due a low metalic roaring noise when driving. The dealership said the rear differential was torqued to tight and put shim plates in it. all was quiet til' a week ago. has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you do.

slk230mb
11-07-05, 09:40 AM
I had a problem when turning after highway trips and it turned out to be my transfer case.

dnyce617
11-07-05, 11:56 AM
I had my 2004's front diff. rebuilt last monthat around 27k miles. It was making a whining sound during acceleration and low speed braking. From what I've heard front diff. problems are fairly common.

hcvone
11-07-05, 12:32 PM
When I got my truck the first thing I did was check all the fluid levels, the front diff was 3/4 of a quart low, the rear was 1 1/4 quarts low, I am sure I would have had problems if I would not have checked them. I also at the first oil change replace the stock fluids with Amsoil synthetic oils, and change the front and rear diff, transfer case and trans every 25k miles.

CAROLINA CADDI
11-07-05, 03:11 PM
thanks for the info., maybe i can get it done right this time.

hilldo
11-07-05, 04:14 PM
My rear diff was wearing out and had that whining noise just after my warranty expired... took it to David Taylor Cadillac and my service guy, Roy Harper had the shop foreman take it for a spin with me...

Roy and Bill went to bat for me with GM and they completely re-built my rear end... UNDER WARRANTY.:)

Thanks, Roy!

csmooth79
11-08-05, 03:39 PM
My rear diff was wearing out and had that whining noise just after my warranty expired... took it to David Taylor Cadillac and my service guy, Roy Harper had the shop foreman take it for a spin with me...

Roy and Bill went to bat for me with GM and they completely re-built my rear end... UNDER WARRANTY.:)

Thanks, Roy!

Why wont my service guy give in. They have had my truck for almost 9 days (5 days , 3 days, 1 day) and they have replaced hydraulic lines, changed p/s fluid, and put a new pump on this time. The sound has quieted some, but I still hear it.

I want to take it to another dealership, but my warranty ran out and the only reason they say they are able to do the work under warranty is b/c I took it to them and complained while it was. What should I tell them to do so they will look at my diff and transfer case.

clickart
11-09-05, 05:15 PM
what kind of noise should I look for if there is something is wrong with my differential?

hilldo
11-10-05, 12:53 AM
:alchi:
what kind of noise should I look for if there is something is wrong with my differential?

Mine was going whhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaannnnn as I stepped on the accelerator then would back off a little when I let off the gas.

When I would roll to a stop it would make a fluttering noise.... fffffftttfffftttffttffttffffddddddd.

I first had the brakes and calipers completely refurbished then had a third party drop the tranny pan and check for wear, then pointed them to the rear diff and had them check it out.

They said it looked like silver paint speckles were in the diff fluid.

This situation is obviously a problem that does not happen overnight.

As long as you have done due diligence on the maintenance or you purchased the vehicle with good faith that that maintenance had been performed you should NOT have to pay for GM to fix their own factory defect.

Remind your service guys with respect that you are driving the flagship of the GM fleet and that you expect the service to live up to the standard of the Cadillac name.

Use their marketing to remind them of the standards to which THEY must adhere.

Be respectful yet firm AND informed.

My associates have been amazed at how well I've been taken care of.

Part of that is due to the high standards for service and the great reputation of the dealership I bought from and the rest goes to the fact that I was dilligent in my gathering of information.

It doesn't hurt that I know the owner either so if you are not satified bark up the chain to the General Manager first then the Owner.

Make them like you and want to help you.

That is the key at all levels.

Oh, and a gift card to the nearest steak dinner restaurant does wonders with your service guy.

84caddy
11-15-05, 02:40 AM
I'm becoming he poster-boy for escalade problems on here...and this after having ZERO problems with my 00.....now having every problem with my 03 ESV

anyway...getting a howl from the frt end only when applying light gas (ie: under load)...at cruising speed - as soon as you let off the gas it goes away..getting worse every week

dealer says I need 3 new frt diff bearings

dnyce617
11-15-05, 12:03 PM
I'm becoming he poster-boy for escalade problems on here...and this after having ZERO problems with my 00.....now having every problem with my 03 ESV

anyway...getting a howl from the frt end only when applying light gas (ie: under load)...at cruising speed - as soon as you let off the gas it goes away..getting worse every week

dealer says I need 3 new frt diff bearings

That sounds like exactly what mine had, but I had an additional 'jet engine' kind of noise when braking and almost at a stop. Mine got progressively worse over a period of 1 1/2 - 2 months before I had it fixed. I was a little nervous because I wasn't sur eif they would honor my warranty with the rims a drop, but it was no problem at all.

84caddy
11-17-05, 06:01 PM
That sounds like exactly what mine had, but I had an additional 'jet engine' kind of noise when braking and almost at a stop. Mine got progressively worse over a period of 1 1/2 - 2 months before I had it fixed. I was a little nervous because I wasn't sur eif they would honor my warranty with the rims a drop, but it was no problem at all.

what did yours end up being? dealer is only guessing it needs the 3 diff bearings after listening with a stethascope...they said it "could be" ring+pinion too

I'm starting to get a loud howl when coming to a stop now too

demjjm
12-12-05, 03:26 PM
Good advice for anyone is to make friends with your service advisor / manager. We tip our advisor after every visit and it had paid itself back 10 fold! When our car goes in for service, everyone is waiting in an 1 hour long enterprise rental line, and getting shoved into a envoy, or some other midsize car, while our advisor has our choice of colors of caddies waiting for us. He has also gone to bat several times for us with GM.

I have never had the whine that everyone is speaking of, but I do have what I refer to as "driveline slap". For example if I am rolling in drive (no gas), and I hit the gas with some decent force, I get a knock, or slap from the driveline. Based on my complaints, the differrentials have been replaced, and the transfer case as well. Each time it improves, but then it seems to come back. I am rough on our cars, so this may have something to do with it, but nothing has flat out broken as of yet, and believe me I tried to make it break before I was out of the factory warranty and into the extended one.

dnyce617
12-13-05, 02:56 PM
what did yours end up being? dealer is only guessing it needs the 3 diff bearings after listening with a stethascope...they said it "could be" ring+pinion too

I'm starting to get a loud howl when coming to a stop now too

I'm not sure exactly what it was, but the service advisor told me they rebuilt my front diff, I'm guessing all new internal parts and gears.

hilldo
12-14-05, 04:17 PM
Good advice for anyone is to make friends with your service advisor / manager. We tip our advisor after every visit and it had paid itself back 10 fold! When our car goes in for service, everyone is waiting in an 1 hour long enterprise rental line, and getting shoved into a envoy, or some other midsize car, while our advisor has our choice of colors of caddies waiting for us. He has also gone to bat several times for us with GM.

I have never had the whine that everyone is speaking of, but I do have what I refer to as "driveline slap". For example if I am rolling in drive (no gas), and I hit the gas with some decent force, I get a knock, or slap from the driveline. Based on my complaints, the differrentials have been replaced, and the transfer case as well. Each time it improves, but then it seems to come back. I am rough on our cars, so this may have something to do with it, but nothing has flat out broken as of yet, and believe me I tried to make it break before I was out of the factory warranty and into the extended one.

Same deal here... it klunks when I do a rolling stop and hit the gas hard to take off again.

It is something that is mentioned in the reviews online of the '99.

demjjm
12-14-05, 10:09 PM
Same deal here... it klunks when I do a rolling stop and hit the gas hard to take off again.

It is something that is mentioned in the reviews online of the '99.

Have you researched the problem at all? Also, I am familiar with it on older models. we bought our son a 99 tahoe, but it actually seems worst on the 02 Escalade.

hilldo
12-16-05, 12:04 PM
I don't think there is a whole lot of fixin to do... it is a noise issue but I'm not convinced there's a mechanical problem. I think it's just a clunky noise in the drive train.