: Fun run with a C5 today

willsctsv
11-06-05, 08:54 PM
Earlier today I met up with a guy that I met once before. He's friends with a guy from this forum (Joe from Bayside queens). He drives a C5 Vette with the same mods I have.
We did a rolling start, 2nd gear at about 35 mph we both hit it and the cars took off. We had a nice straight run up to 145mph and the V was ahead by 1 car all the way. I pulled the car length in second and did not start to pull further away untill I hit about 140. I think the V breathes better up top. I was amazed because I thought with the aerodynamics of the Vette it would of been the other way around and he would start to pull on me.
We ran again with the same results.
Our last run was to 160, let me tell you that is the fastest I have ever driven anything and it feels fast.
We started out rolling in 1st this time. The V broke traction after I punched it in 1st gear at about 4K. The second gear shift also lost alot of traction and he was 1 car ahead of me. This time I was not pulling on him untill we hit about 135-140 we ran up to 160 before backing off. I was very impressed with the V's performance against the Vette. We are 2 modded vehicles with similiar mods. My V dynoed 375 at the wheels and his Vette dynoed 325 at the wheels. The cars were virtually neck and neck, definately a drivers race. What I made up in HP he made up in weight.
Lots of fun. Glad to be alive to tell it! I have driven up to 150 before, but 160 feels alot more than 10 mph faster. The V was still pulling nicely and I would of liked to top it out but the road started to bend slightly and I wasn't sure if there were any bumps there that may upset the suspension at that kind of speed. The best part is the guy with the Vette is a Cop!
Joe, when you read this tell your buddy I said nice run. He is definately not afraid to drive his car the way it should be driven!:sneaky:
Joe has he been to the drag strip? Times??

CVP33
11-06-05, 09:10 PM
We on the Cadillac Forum do not condone or approve of street racing or posting stories of exceeding the speed limit. BTW.....................

NICE RUN! :lildevil:

JOEYCTS-V
11-06-05, 09:13 PM
Joe, when you read this tell your buddy I said nice run. He is definately not afraid to drive his car the way it should be driven!:sneaky:

Will, he said the same. Too bad I had to work, it looks like I missed a great day! If I remember correctly he put out 336 HP and 341 TQ. He's also having problems at 5500rpm. He's getting 5 degrees of knock retard. Once he gets it tuned you guys should go for another run. He hasn't taken it to the track yet.

C5 Mods:

-halltech stinger
-Z06 intake manifold
-Z06 Titaniums
-Kooks headers 1 3/4" w/ 3x3 cats
-NGK TR55 gapped @ .035 w/ Z06 wires

CTSVONFIRE
11-07-05, 08:08 AM
Sounds like the vette should UPGRADE to a four door.

Blacksport350
11-07-05, 10:02 AM
Congrats!

Had a similar experience yesterday on an empty streatch of highway. Ran a C5 Vette with a nice sounding exhaust from 70 on up. At first, I pulled slowly but as speed increased so did the gap until he disengaged when I was far enough ahead to make it pointless. I would guess that my driving skill had a bit to do with this but I was also carrying a my wife and a full tank of gas.

BTW, This was the first time I had the Stealth tune, Volant and Corsa combo out on the highway...awesome package! :worship:

tweeter81
11-07-05, 01:47 PM
Nice run Blacksport. It seems to me like everyone who has it says the tune is the best bang for your buck and really makes the V seem like a different beast altogether. By the way, where did you do this run at?

Sea Bass
11-07-05, 02:30 PM
Wow! That is awesome. Glad y'all are safe and no arrests...even with a cop present.:P

1MEANV
11-07-05, 03:01 PM
beleave it or the the v has very good aerodynamics

willsctsv
11-07-05, 03:19 PM
Joe, Have you run your V with his Vette? Outcome???

JOEYCTS-V
11-07-05, 06:44 PM
I ran him when I only had the LPE intake and it was a pretty good run. He would start to pull slowly in 3rd but we never really went into 4th. Since then, he installed the KOOKS headers and I put on the Corsa. We have to go for another run now. Once he fixes his knock retard problem I think it will be totally different. His dyno sheets dropped way down in the 5500 rpm range.

BTW Will, did you see his C6 Z06 wheels and brakes? ;)

willsctsv
11-07-05, 07:30 PM
Joe the brakes and wheels were nice .His car looks great and will probably be spanking us if his knock is costing him alot of power. I'm on the fence about doing one more mod. I think it will be the TPIS lightened and balanced flywheel. We really need to get more traction. I'm hoping that by upgrading the rear tires to 275's will help a little.
When we ran from 1st gear I was ahead as we both spun tires, but he hooked up a bit better and pulled ahead (lighter car and wider tires help). I even grabbed 2nd gear at like 5500 instead of redline and it didn't help. I was happy that he did not pull any more on me and I started pulling on him at those insane speeds. Let me know when you go on another spirited early morning run!

JOEYCTS-V
11-07-05, 07:41 PM
Let me know when you go on another spirited early morning run!

:thumbsup:

10secvette
11-07-05, 08:39 PM
:thumbsup:

Nice runs, I'm sure they will be a bit closer once he gets his tune figured out.

What's with everyone useing the term "spirited"? Just sounds weak to me...

CVP33
11-07-05, 10:17 PM
What's with everyone useing the term "spirited"? Just sounds weak to me...

We're just Caddy boyz. We like our adjectives dainty. :lildevil: