: GM Bushings - Crackle, pop, groan, creak, etc.

CVP33
11-06-05, 05:49 PM
I was in a hurry at Lindsay so we forgot to lube up the GM Anti Hop bushings. Jacked up the car tonight and sprayed the crap out of them with Slick 50 (WD40 knock off). No more creaking for now. I'll keep you posted on how long this lasts. If it's an everytime I do an oil change deal, I can live with that.

Joey'sVee
11-06-05, 05:57 PM
What does the dealership use? What could we use for a 1 time fix...so you don't have to do it everytime you change your oil?

L.Sanchez
11-06-05, 06:06 PM
I had the same thing on my car after the bushing swap, although it was only creaking and groaning when I was going up and down driveways. They lubed it when I took it in for the faulty TPMS sensor. All fine now. And yes, definitely worth the occasional creak.

Ladis

BowenCT
11-06-05, 06:10 PM
Mine haven't started to creak yet......hopefully I'll get lucky and they won't. However, not to threadjack (sorry Chris), but does anyone know if the addition of the bushings slightly raise the ride height in the rear?

CVP33
11-06-05, 06:10 PM
What does the dealership use? What could we use for a 1 time fix...so you don't have to do it everytime you change your oil?

Dealership will use anti-seaze (sic?). Problem is you have to drop the rear craddle to get the lube in where it needs to be. Most dealers are careful to inform you that there will be added noise with these bushings. As in, live with the creaking.

urbanski
11-06-05, 06:24 PM
i was going to do the same with some anti-seize
but i busted my tq wrench and can't exactly re-tq the bolts.
wonder if i should just spray....or maybe use various medical tubing and a syringe and squirt anti-seize in thar. LOL

Lindsay Cadillac
11-06-05, 08:47 PM
The anti-sieze (sp?) is not a permanent fix...

My bushings which were well coated with anti-sieze a couple of months ago have began to creak again... It did last a lot longer(about 3 months) than spray lube which only lasted about a month for me...

I'll be talking to our suspension tech tomorrow and see what we can come up with... I'll post any solution that we come up with...

Joey'sVee
11-07-05, 12:06 AM

My bushings which were well coated with anti-sieze a couple of months ago have began to creak again... It did last a lot longer(about 3 months) than spray lube which only lasted about a month for me...

I'll be talking to our suspension tech tomorrow and see what we can come up with... I'll post any solution that we come up with...

Thanks!:worship:

urbanski
11-07-05, 09:35 AM
thanks James :) POINTS

Ziplicon Tuesday
11-07-05, 09:41 AM
This sounds like the creaking noises I thought i was getting from the lower fender areas (cause they creak when I push them). Anyway, I know it sounds stupid but perhaps someone could post a pic of where to spray the lubricant if you guys come up with a solution? I have no lift and stuff looks different when you flat on your back stuffed under the V.

Are these bushings the ones inside the springs in the rear?

CTSVONFIRE
11-07-05, 09:42 AM
Make sure they are torqued properly. If I remember right I had to torque one bolt to 180 + ft. lbs. That's tighter than most 1/2" impacts go unless you have alot of air pressure behind it.

Joey'sVee
11-07-05, 09:49 AM
This sounds like the creaking noises I thought i was getting from the lower fender areas (cause they creak when I push them). Anyway, I know it sounds stupid but perhaps someone could post a pic of where to spray the lubricant if you guys come up with a solution? I have no lift and stuff looks different when you flat on your back stuffed under the V.

Are these bushings the ones inside the springs in the rear?

:yeah:

CVP33
11-10-05, 06:25 PM
4 days and it's back! It may have more to do with the rain and standing water today but the creaking is definitely back. I'll be sliding under there again tonight to lube it all up.

Florian
11-10-05, 08:04 PM
took me about 50 miles from the dealer, went to get out of the V after parking, and lo and behold......cccrrrrreeeeeeeeeeaaaaak. Shizzle

F

crowan
11-10-05, 08:24 PM
Thank God for the Forum. I had my bushings for two weeks when I decided to test them with hard 1-2 powershift. No "Bang!!" or other hideous noise from metal slapping metal. Then, when I braked at the next traffic light, I heard the "grrrroan, creeeeek."

But for the Forum threads on the topic, I would have thought the body had separated from the frame. But, by being "in the loop," I realized what the noise was and didn't get excited. I haven't had a problem since. :thumbsup:

CR

Ziplicon Tuesday
11-10-05, 09:17 PM
Hey, for what it's worth in case there's any confusion (I was). I thought the bushinigs in question were located in the center of the rear coil springs. I lubed them but it didn't help. Apparently the ones to lube are the white washer like discs at the top and bottom of the differential support cradle. You'll see'em if your look - ain't much else white under there. I sprayed them and the creaking is completely gone - only been a day though.

ace996
11-11-05, 12:45 AM
Gentlemen,
I pray that the following info does not apply to the aforementioned "creak, groan" noises, but here's my two cents.

I installed the Specter bushings(which are slightly thicker than the GM bushings...I think) and sprayed them with silicone spray. No creak, crack, nothing. A few weeks later, I'm hearing a creak everytime I brake to a stop and then the creak when I accelerate from a stop. I complain to my dealership that something is amiss. Sure enough, after my second visit complaining that I'm close to lemon-lawing my V, they find the cause. It was the bushing that connected the left rear trailing arm to the knuckle. It was allowing some movement that caused the creak. Perhaps this is something that is causing the sounds, if it is, at least you'd be on your way to eliminating one of the sounds GM has not labeled "Normal V-Sounds".
good luck,
ace

Luna.
11-16-05, 01:16 AM

Did you come up with anything James?

Would be great if you do. :worship:

Lindsay Cadillac
11-16-05, 06:46 AM
We have an idea that we are going to try on my car hopefully today. As soon as I know if it fixes the noise I'll let everyone know...

ewill3rd
11-16-05, 06:51 AM
I don't think anybody in the shop has had a chance to mess with it.
I don't see anti-sieze working on this one.
Those "bushings" have 2 long pins on each that go down inside the factory mount bushings. I helps keep them from twisting under heavy loads.
I think they key is going to be find something that will stay between the teflon and the rubber inside the mount. I'll try to see if I can come up with something. I know GM used to have something called "special lubricant" that we used to use on sway bar bushings. I'll see if we can find some of that and maybe put that on James' car and see if that fixes it.
It worked really well on the sway bar problems we had.

ssmith100
11-16-05, 08:36 AM
I wish someone would find a cure for this. Mine are squeeking also. Sure would be nice if we could see an 06 car and see what they did.

Shane

lasstss
11-16-05, 08:48 AM
I wish someone would find a cure for this. Mine are squeeking also. Sure would be nice if we could see an 06 car and see what they did.

Shane

The Specter bushing is a better part. I have no noises at all an they have been in over a year.

odysseus
11-16-05, 09:59 AM
I remember using a lubricant years ago called 'Lock-Ease'. Besides the lubricant, it has graphite in it. Long after the lube dries up, the graphite keeps parts from binding. It might be worth a try, although it would likely be best to spray the bushings before installation to get in all the nooks and crannies. Just my $0.02. (may be worth a try anyhow)

Lindsay Cadillac
11-16-05, 10:07 AM
That sounds similar to the anti-sieze that we tried. It worked the longest but still wasn't a permanent fix...

trukk
11-16-05, 04:24 PM
We have an idea that we are going to try on my car hopefully today. As soon as I know if it fixes the noise I'll let everyone know...

James, let me know if you'd like to guineau pig with my car next week,

Chris

moldowan
11-16-05, 05:42 PM
I was pissed that only 2 weeks after I bought the speckter bushings the GM one came avail.
Now I'm pleased that I paid for those speckter one cause I have NO noise from them at all!
-MOLDY

Specter Werkes Sports
11-16-05, 06:39 PM
Hello,

We still have in stock our cradle bushings if anyone is intrested.

Thanks,

CTSV05
11-17-05, 09:16 AM
I have the GM "fix" bushings, and have noticed no squeaks or any other noises, but I did re-install my kit sans the diff support, so maybe the two together eliminated the movement.

ahahnu
11-17-05, 10:11 AM
The bushings suck and don't suck. I'm kinda happy that I can't roast my tires as I'd be out hundreds of dollars in rubber by now if I could. I can slide the ass of the car around turns which I think is more fun (scars the sheit outta the girlfriend though). I know this is probibly a retorical question but Kars, you have no more kits right?

Luna.
11-17-05, 01:58 PM
I know GM used to have something called "special lubricant" that we used to use on sway bar bushings. I'll see if we can find some of that and maybe put that on James' car and see if that fixes it.
It worked really well on the sway bar problems we had.

Barring my dealership coming up with a better solution, this may be the route I go today...

Rickerbucks
11-17-05, 04:01 PM
I have the squeaking as well. I'm taking it in for an oil change and ask them to do something.

That being said I don't find much differance in the wheel hop. I don't often beat on it but on the rare occassions I do it still thumps and bangs, especially in the wet.

Luna.
11-17-05, 04:52 PM
That being said I don't find much differance in the wheel hop. I don't often beat on it but on the rare occassions I do it still thumps and bangs, especially in the wet.

You and I are in the same boat in my mind.

While I have yet to ever *light them up* in dry, it's sometimes far too easy to get them spinning in the wet, especially with a S/C. As soon as I notice that they are spinning, I get off it, as I'm terrified of the rear-end and it's feebleness. For those few brief moments of spinning/wheel hop, however, I don't notice too much a difference. Some? Yes, but too much to be comfortable.

jpr
11-17-05, 06:55 PM
I just my car back from having the GM bushings lubed and the subframe tightened. Im sure that the sound comes from the subframe bolts loosening and allowing the bushings to have friction contact with the rubber subframe mounts. The re-torque of the subframe has to be considered a routine maintenance item on these cars unless we are allowed to apply some medium loctite thread locker on these suckers and see if they don't back out.

As of now, however, the noise is gone using anti-seize lube.

Jpr

CVP33
11-18-05, 08:46 PM
I sprayed some more lubricant on the bushings and the noise is again gone for now. A word to everyone. You must jack up the car to get the lubricant into the bushings fully. I did try sliding under the car and just spraying the bushings. That did not help at all. You need to get the weight off to allow enough room for the lubricant to seep in.

Closer_2001
02-21-06, 05:43 PM
Has anyone noticed the "Creak!!" with the Spectre bushings??

I have the General's solution and right now they are driving me NUTS!!

Lindsay Cadillac
02-21-06, 05:52 PM
Has anyone noticed the "Creak!!" with the Spectre bushings??

I have the General's solution and right now they are driving me NUTS!!I installed the Spectre bushings about 6,000 miles ago and they haven't made a peep so far. Definately recommend them over the General's bushings...

BADAZGN
02-21-06, 07:00 PM
Are these GM Bushings a warranty item? Or is this something that everyone is oaying for on their own.

Also on a side note, is there a way I can pull up what warranty work has been done to my car before I bought it? Thanks

Matthew

ctsvett
02-21-06, 08:11 PM
these bushings are the warranty bushings...

/rant on

I think we should be fair.. GM did build these bushings after we all complained enough about wheel hop, now we are complaining more? Personally, I have NO groan, creak, etc on my car and I have the "warranty" bushings on the car. Maybe this is why they didnt put something like this on the car initially cause then people would go online and say "my cadillac suspension creaks and I paid 50k for it." Spectre bushings are an option for those who want to pony up the $$ and install it themselves. The aftermarket will always fix it if there are enough owners willing to pay $$ for it (see Differential)

Sometimes (just sometimes) I feel bad for them (GM) for having to put up with us. Then, 3 seconds later, when they don't address the real issues (See transmission, rear differential) I dont feel bad for them anymore...

/rant off

Reed

Closer_2001
02-21-06, 08:18 PM
I installed the Spectre bushings about 6,000 miles ago and they haven't made a peep so far. Definately recommend them over the General's bushings...

James - are you guys selling these ??

CVP33
02-21-06, 08:36 PM
Mine don't squeak anymore. Well actually they probably do. :stirpot:

Closer_2001
02-21-06, 08:55 PM
Mine don't squeak anymore. Well actually they probably do. :stirpot:

LOL -

My son noticed the noise first from the back seat.

He said, "Dad, what is that noise."

I shot back, "Don't worry, it doesn't do that." and kept driving.

It took about 2 sec before he started cracking up...knowing I was referring to the Cadillac standard answer on V owner concerns.

- - - -

I really don't care about the bushings from GM. As far as I am concerned they didn't help my wheel hop, despite me torqueing the bolts, etc. Nice try by GM and I appreciated it.

I just plan on upgrading to the Spectres and being done with it.

Lindsay Cadillac
02-21-06, 09:55 PM
Are these GM Bushings a warranty item? Or is this something that everyone is oaying for on their own.

Also on a side note, is there a way I can pull up what warranty work has been done to my car before I bought it? Thanks

MatthewYes there is a TSB for installing these bushings; http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/05-04-114-001a.pdf

Yes there is a way to look up what's been done, e-mail me your VIN.

Lindsay Cadillac
02-21-06, 09:58 PM
James - are you guys selling these ??Yes we are http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/lindsay-cadillac/63271-group-buy-spectre-bushings.html ... We have an order in with Spectre right now, I'm expecting delivery by next week. If you are interested in a set, send me an e-mail with your contact info.

trukk
02-23-06, 06:12 PM
Mine squeek, but only when going over speedbumps at slow speeds. I went out with my wife, and friends (husband/wife) on New Years eve, and they teased the hell out of me, for the squeek, squeek.

Really turns the heads, when i'm pimpin' through the grocery store parking lot.

-Chris

'MOMMY, did that man in that car, just run over a small dog!'

'No dear, that's just a GM.'

SoCadillac
02-23-06, 06:23 PM
A while back Griots Garage sold Teflon spray and had a closeout. I suspect because of the health concerns that have arisen should you inhale it. I bought two of their cans as an ol' time wrencher on motorcycles told me some of his secrets when using it on bolts. I wonder whether a teflon spray (mine is Teflon with the aerosol and nothing else) would quiet down your bushings?