: RSM rear strut tower brace

BowenCT
11-06-05, 06:35 PM
Any members out there know anything, have any insight, or any first hand experience with this bar?

http://www.rsmracing.com/catalog.htm

http://www.rsmracing.com/Lrg_Images/ctsrstb.jpg

Parker
11-06-05, 06:59 PM
Never seen that!

BowenCT
11-06-05, 07:05 PM
Never seen that!

Haha........yeah, it's been on the faq. site for probably a year or so, but to date I've never heard any mention of anyone using one.

Joey'sVee
11-06-05, 07:15 PM
Never seen it either.

11-06-05, 09:03 PM
Would it actually do anything? A strut tower brace makes sense in the front where you have no "floor" and no roof to provide stiffness; but in the back you have like the whole rest of the car (trunk floor, roof, etc. etc etc......). Isn't that supposed to be one of the strong points of the sigma chassis?

D

BowenCT
11-06-05, 09:24 PM
Would it actually do anything? A strut tower brace makes sense in the front where you have no "floor" and no roof to provide stiffness; but in the back you have like the whole rest of the car (trunk floor, roof, etc. etc etc......). Isn't that supposed to be one of the strong points of the sigma chassis?

D

Valid point. I do know however that rear strut braces worked wonders in the VW GTIs/Golfs/Rabbits (albeit hatchbacks) that all my buddies used to drive in highschool. I would have to think that it would add some sort of structural rigidity. Enough to notice? Probably not, but every little bit helps.

ctsvett
11-06-05, 10:09 PM
would make it kinda hard to carry something in the car that requires the seat to fold down... HAHA

I have not heard of anyone with that... No.

Reed

StealthV
11-06-05, 10:15 PM
Silver Baron has one on his V and was the source of photos on the FAQ.

Parker
11-06-05, 10:15 PM
F it. Just another mod to pick up. Might as well pick one up and try it, it could only help.

11-06-05, 10:27 PM
would make it kinda hard to carry something in the car that requires the seat to fold down... HAHA

Reed

It might be a convenient place for my daughter to hang her Barbie clothes on little coat hangers......

CTSVONFIRE
11-07-05, 09:55 AM
I have seen it and I would think it would work.

Joey'sVee
11-07-05, 10:06 AM
Really?

ace996
11-07-05, 10:50 PM
A rear strut bar is one of the best ways to increase rigidity, as the connections are direct...not relying on the "long way" of the lower chassis and roof stability. Should someone add a triangulated V bar on the bottom of the bar, and mount it to the floor of the trunk, it would be phenomenally stiff. The stiffness would probably not be noticeable during normal street driving, but will allow the chassis to stay straighter during track events. Also, it should help with the long-term fatigue of the chassis structure, ie.- after several years of driving hard, there may be less squeaks and rattles as the structure has stayed "truer" than if the bars were'nt there.

I always add some type of chassis strengtheners, usually there is little downside, although some vehicles exhibit some oversteer as a result of the added stiffness.

-ace

BowenCT
11-07-05, 10:58 PM
I always add some type of chassis strengtheners.......

So does this mean you are going to pick one up?

1MEANV
11-07-05, 11:02 PM
no thanks. butcher ****

ace996
11-07-05, 11:06 PM
Looks like something that can be improved...the triangle style is stiffer. I may need to talk to my welding friend....

ntechnic
11-08-05, 08:30 PM
The rear support structure is already so strong that there's little point in this on a street car. If you had full delrin or metal bushings, and NO play anywhere else, then it might help.

IMHO, the flex of the various bushings renders this not worth it.

The front is different, much less structure.

Years ago, I saw an analysis on a Mustang Cobra IRS coupe that showed even with all poly/solid bushings there was <1% improvement in rear IRS stability with street tires with a similar bar.

urbanski
11-08-05, 08:44 PM
It might be a convenient place for my daughter to hang her Barbie clothes on little coat hangers......
AAAHAHAHAH:p :histeric: