: Tighten those nuts and bolts!

heavymetals
11-06-05, 02:52 AM
After checking for the third time and finding the header stud nuts loose, I used a little bit of a high temp adhesive on the tips (like glyptol).

I would recomend that everyone who has installed headers recheck the nuts if you replaced the bolts with studs like the ARP 12 point type.

Joey'sVee
11-06-05, 03:02 AM
For all of us that don't know can you tell us more specifically what we should use...Link?

heavymetals
11-06-05, 03:10 AM
3501 SCOTCHWELD.

This stuff is like J&B weld.

I just put a dab to secure the nut to the tip of the stud that protrudes.

If you have to remove it you have to use a heat gun (not a hair dryer) to get the stuff to break down, but it will under very high heat.

Joey'sVee
11-06-05, 09:58 AM
Damn...don't know if I want a heat gun to be required if I need to remove/change the headers, ya know?

Closer_2001
11-06-05, 10:01 AM
3501 SCOTCHWELD.
This stuff is like J&B weld.
I just put a dab to secure the nut to the tip of the stud that protrudes.
If you have to remove it you have to use a heat gun (not a hair dryer) to get the stuff to break down, but it will under very high heat.

Since these bolts are touching one of the hottest parts on the car...perhaps this won't last long term? How about a dab of Hi Temp RTV.

Rey
11-06-05, 10:24 AM
My experience with JB Weld is that it breaks down with heat. Seems to me that the exhaust manifold heat is high enough to break down JB Weld and Locktite.
I have had TPIS headers now for 20K miles, using stock fasteners and original gasket with no loosening whatsoever.

heavymetals
11-06-05, 12:19 PM
The temperature that the header bolt gets is not enough to break down the polyimide adhesive.

The header studs I am talking about are the ARP 12 points as they don't use a lock washer, but a flat one.

I would be curious to know how many people check and find that they have a couple of the nuts either loose or backed out.:eek:

willsctsv
11-06-05, 06:59 PM
No leaks or loosening up from my header bolts and I stayed with the stock ones. Go figure?

Vdrenaline
11-06-05, 10:38 PM
There is a company that makes locking header bolts. I have them on my Vette. Stage 8 maybe? Just do a google for Locking header bolts and you will find them.

CTSVONFIRE
11-07-05, 08:53 AM
I removed the studs in my headers b/c I kept getting an exhaust leak and replaced them with some nuts&bolts.