Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What is the most bland car company?

5K views 68 replies 16 participants last post by  Night Wolf 
#1 ·
What, in your opinion, is the most bland car brand out there. A car company that might be somewhat reliable, but have some of the most boring car designs on the market. I'm not talking the worst car company, but one that is bland and unexciting.

#6 ·
urbanski said:
Porsche, really? why?
i had a 996 C4S and loved that thing. Nice swoopy curves. Huge hips. Don't get me wrong, i HATE the cayman and boxster....but the 911 holds my heart.
Theyre boring, and bland. Sure theyre sports cars, but theyve been the same forever. And it still looks like a strretched out beetle. And now they know it and built a 4x4 a sedan and a soon wagon, they are so boring, the facelists always look the same. The most extreme one was when they went to Boxster style headlamps on the 911. Then they decided it was too estreme and changed them back!!!

Porsche are bland, when compared to a similar Maserati or TVR

1992 911: http://www.fast-autos.net/porsche/92turbos2.jpg

2005 911: http://www.automotorclub.com/articole/the-car-of-the-year-2005/porsche-911.jpg

The 2005 looks like a slightly smoothed out 92!

#10 ·
Honda is by far the blandest automotive maker on the planet. Dont go throwing Kia and Hyundai at me because I know youre thinking about it... but the truth is they try hard to keep the product fresh and exciting IN ITS PRICEPOINT. The new Sportage and Amanti etc are proof of that, BUT Honda on the other hand is not an inexpensive or niche market brand. They are every bit as bread and butter as Toyota and their domestic competition as well. Even Toyota has had SOME exciting hits throughout the years, but Lexus seems to suffer from the same problem Honda does.

They thrive almost exclusively on word of mouth and historical reliability as well as some of the best fuel economy in the industry. Unfortunately this leaves them without much motivation to do anything radical or extraordinarily special and you have pretty much a homogenization of blandness from the cheapest Civic to the Acura RL, and not so much as one single V8 engine anywhere in their lineup. I cant really tell them to change anything because theyre doing fine the way they are, but damn are those cars boring.

I dont think Porsches are boring by the way, they locked on to a design that is instantly recognizable and there is nothing wrong with that.

#11 ·
Ralph said:
I voted Saab. It's typical of GM to purchase these car companies like Lotus, use some of their technology in other cars, and then starve them into oblivion or hardly invest in them at all in the way of new product.
Saturn imo is on the rise, and money is flowing into that division for new and exciting product.
Correct, Saturn was off the radar for a good while there, but they have some real promise in the Aura and Sky and a couple of other up and coming vehicles.

#12 ·
Playdrv4me said:
Correct, Saturn was off the radar for a good while there, but they have some real promise in the Aura and Sky and a couple of other up and coming vehicles.
Now if only GM would invest in a new and more exciting engine for the Sky. The Ion engine with a name "Ecotek" is hard to get excited about in any vehicle, especially when the Solstice has only 7 more hp than the new 2.4 L Ion Ecotek.

Although I'm sure the Solstice/Sky will have good performance due to it's light 2800 pounds, which ironically is the same weight as the Ion!

#13 ·
Now if only GM would invest in a new and more exciting engine for the Sky. The Ion engine with a name "Ecotek" is hard to get excited about in any vehicle, especially when the Sky has only 7 more hp than the new 2.4 L Ion Ecotek.

Although I'm sure the Sky will have good performance due to it's light 2800 pounds, which ironically is the same weight as the Ion!
I'm sure they will give the Saturn the same upgraded engine they're giving the Solstice GXP...a turbocharged intercooled 240HP Ecotec...:cool2:

OH, and Saab is definately the most bland car GM has. The exteriors just don't do ANYTHING for me, and I just wonder why people would buy such a sterile car...

#14 ·
mccombie_5 said:
Theyre boring, and bland. Sure theyre sports cars, but theyve been the same forever. And it still looks like a strretched out beetle. And now they know it and built a 4x4 a sedan and a soon wagon, they are so boring, the facelists always look the same. The most extreme one was when they went to Boxster style headlamps on the 911. Then they decided it was too estreme and changed them back!!!

Porsche are bland, when compared to a similar Maserati or TVR

1992 911: http://www.fast-autos.net/porsche/92turbos2.jpg

2005 911: http://www.automotorclub.com/articole/the-car-of-the-year-2005/porsche-911.jpg

The 2005 looks like a slightly smoothed out 92!
but those HIPS!!

#17 ·
I think Toyota, because think about it, honda at least has the s2000, they have a pretty edgy new civic, they have the accord 2 door which can look aight, but toyota dosnt really have anyhting nice. Its same old same old.

#18 ·
I voted Saturn, because if you look at the entire Saturn line from 1990-2006, many of them were slow, ugly 4 cylinder economy cars. But now they're starting to change :)

#19 ·
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
I voted Saturn, because if you look at the entire Saturn line from 1990-2006, many of them were slow, ugly 4 cylinder economy cars. But now they're starting to change :)
Toyota used to make some exciting cars like the Supra, or the MR2 at least, but since they were killed off, they lost interest in my book by simply building mundane cars that appeal to the masses for profit purposes.

#20 ·
Hmmm, BUT one could argue that Toyota does build exciting cars, just under a different brand name - Scion...Even though Scion is supposed to be a separate brand, like Lexus, it appears to me (at least in Little Rock) that Toyota and Scion are almost always sold by the same dealer and share the same showroom...:hmm:

#21 ·
Kia and Hyundai. I have a reoccuring nightmare where I'm driving a lowered Kia Sephia with a huge wing, spinner hub caps and "BLING-MOBILE" plastered accross the windshield. Here's the worst part I'm cruising this car down Woodward with a bumper sticker depicting the kid pissing on a Ford and GM logo. I'm soooo screwed. :banghead:

#23 ·
Scions excite me about as much as Ron Jeremy eating navy beans in a clown suit. Theyre weird and unappealing in my opinion. To each their own, I guess.

Toyota's trucks are solid, but they killed their sports cars. Meanwhile, Hyundai is sprucing up the Tiburon. The upcoming shark might even be RWD!

As an Infiniti owner, I naturally voted Lexus. :p

#25 ·
ben72227 said:
Hmmm, BUT one could argue that Toyota does build exciting cars, just under a different brand name - Scion...Even though Scion is supposed to be a separate brand, like Lexus, it appears to me (at least in Little Rock) that Toyota and Scion are almost always sold by the same dealer and share the same showroom...:hmm:
Scion? Exciting? Really?

The xA is a run of the mill econobox.
The xB is OK if you want a box, it's somehow fairly popular but there's nothing exciting about a box.
The tc doesn't have the balls to be considered exciting when compared with other inexpensive 2 doors.

#26 ·
I have to defend Saturn and Saab. Saturn offers the Redline series with strong performance and good looks (well, at least the Vue is good looking). The upcoming Sky and Aura are hot cars.

Saabs are turbocharged, rev-happy, light, efficient, and have offer sporty looks without going over the top (like a ski jacket).

After Lexus and Toyota, I would vote for Acura. The RL is a snoozer like the last. The NSX is gone, leaving the RSX as its only sports car. The TSX has a cheap interior. The MDX is a glorified minivan. I still dont understand this brand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.