: funny smell

obzidian
11-05-05, 03:13 AM
Well, hey ya'll!

I own an 05 and i will be taken her in to the dealer in the morning to have a few things checked out.

For starters, the rear whines a bit and i want them to take a look at that. Also, see if i can have the "clunking bushing" replaced as well as the anit wheel hop bushing put on order.

However, tonight, i was on my way home and pulled a right turn. I was in first gear and rang her through to about3-4k. Shifted into to second, but when i let go of the clutch, she just stuck there and the motor hit the limit pre bad, for a few seconds. I was like WTF, and when i realized what was going on, i let go of the accelerator and the pedal dropped back out and off the limiter.

Well, Soon after, i mean...right after, i started to get this funky smell. It doesnt smell like bad cats/rotten eggs of gas, but it is closely related to an electrical smell or burnt smell. Not the smell of tires either. I snooped around and the smell is not comming from the rear. Just right under the driver door and from the engine comparment, right by the driver AND passenger head/manifold area. It smells pretty bad!! Also, the cars seems to run fine, however, the engine nows runs a bit speratic at times, like a small miss when giving it a few revs..nothing crazy of course. Also, the clutch pedal seems to feel less restrictive than before as if it got lighter.

Well, im not sure what happened but im really freaking out that i hurt my baby!!! I hope that the clutch pedal sticking is part of the TSB and that can be replaced because i think the clutch might be hurt. The smell is noticeably as soon as you start the car but no necesarily start drving. I hope i didnt twist a pushrod or hurt the motor.

Anyways, any advice on what i should say to the dealer or any insight on my story.

thanks ya'll,
Angel

heavymetals
11-05-05, 03:59 AM
Sounds like a burnt clutch.:(

If it hit the limiter it shouldn't hurt the motor (that is what it is there for).

CVP33
11-05-05, 04:37 AM
That's a classic cooked clutch. Smells like burning brakes. The smell will go away and depending on how long you road out the slipping clutch you may or may not have any permanent damage. It's easy to do this as when you get a great wheel spin with no hop it feels very much like a slipping clutch. Especially with runflats that rarely squeal as I recall. By the time you realize your slipping the clutch it's too late. I'd drive it for a few days and see if you can notice any issues with clutch engagement or "pick up". These aren't cheap to replace so here's hoping yours is OK.

willsctsv
11-05-05, 07:19 AM
CVP33, no warrany on the clutch?

Lindsay Cadillac
11-05-05, 07:21 AM
Sounds like two things...
First thing that you need to look at is this TSB http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/tsb/05-07-31-001.pdf
When they do that, if your clutch meets the parameters of that bulletin, they'll replace it under warranty if your car still is in warranty.
Prior to replacing my clutch, I had an almost identical experience with mine...

obzidian
11-05-05, 09:01 AM
thanks, im going to the dealer right now, anyone know how much a new clutch would be?

CVP33, exactly, it felt like i was burning out the tires but withouth an tire noise. THe car was just hitting the limiter.

This sucks, oh...we live and we learn!

obzidian
12-07-05, 04:02 PM
a bit late..but, yeah.... the trans tech said that all was fine and that nothing needed to be replace. When asked about the tsb..."yeah, your car is fine" I dont know? I have always gotten great service from this cadillac dealer but i got the feeling that he wasnt sure the trans tech checked or not.

Anyways, the cars drives fine and all but i did notice something... (not sure if this is already posted, sorry!!)

I didnt want to start another thread so here goes. Im big into drift, have always been and working an a ls1 swap. Anyways, i wanted to get a feel for the V and did a few quick clutch drops at around 2k-2.5k but nothing more than 3k. I tried this in all the different traction modes.

This is what i found:

1) With "all modes" on, clutch drop with throttle (maybe 50%) turning right. The car hesitated, than let go, went right into wheel spinn but automatically withdrew the clutch pedal towards the floor and hit the limiter. Clutch smell with tire smell.

2) With "tractrion off", mode 2..not competition, same as before.... No hesitation but got the same clutch pedal syndrome.

3) With "competition mode" on, same procedure and same results. The engine spins, "takes-in" the clutch pedal and no wheel spin after the initial break of tire grip. Car did sail sideways a bit more this time.

4) With "All off" mode, same as above...BUT, Immediate wheel spin, tire roasting and clutch pedal standed on my foot. Got quite loose, almost about a 30-45 degree angle and had to take it down a bit. WOW, that was fun!!!!

Anyways, this is part of the stabili-trac function right? It seems the only way to have some real run is to have all the feature off. Even in competition mode, i got the pedal automatically to the floor issue.

Again, if im reposting some info, im sorry!!!

But, this is not what some pleople refer to when their clutch pedal is "sucked" into the floor? It seems that this is a good way to fry your clutch if your not careful. You think you are burning tires, since these f-1'z dont really squeal that much, but instead your asking for a new clutch!!

Anyways, just wanted to rely this info if not previously mentioned!!!!! It did help me figure the cars modes a bit more and know now where it should be.

Mat347
12-07-05, 04:23 PM
The stabilitrac does not pull your cluch in. It manges torque by pulling back on the throttle(drive by wire).

obzidian
12-07-05, 04:30 PM
ok, well than....this could be an issue. I can see why you wold say that but it could do it by pulling in your clutch pedal in and avoid the wheels from spinning.

Honestly, i havent looked at the pcm parameters yet so im not sure exactly how this works. Nevertheless, i'll take your word for it!! :)

Ok, maybe this might help.

When ever i have the clutch being pulled back in, i noticed that if i give it more throttle, it draws the clutch pedal more. THe less throttle, in draws the clutch pedal further out.

I just want to know if this is a true stabili-trac function in controlling well, the stability of the car or is it a concern that needs to be addressed.

Dreamin
12-07-05, 05:24 PM
Take it back to the dealer... there is something wrong...

a64pilot
12-07-05, 05:27 PM
ok, well than....this could be an issue. I can see why you wold say that but it could do it by pulling in your clutch pedal in and avoid the wheels from spinning.

Honestly, i havent looked at the pcm parameters yet so im not sure exactly how this works. Nevertheless, i'll take your word for it!! :)

Ok, maybe this might help.

When ever i have the clutch being pulled back in, i noticed that if i give it more throttle, it draws the clutch pedal more. THe less throttle, in draws the clutch pedal further out.

I just want to know if this is a true stabili-trac function in controlling well, the stability of the car or is it a concern that needs to be addressed.
It is not a stabilitrac function, sounds like you have drifted your way through at least a clutch,maybe a slave cyl. etc.

obzidian
12-07-05, 05:33 PM
the stock clutch seems to be holding fine, for now....

So, this isnt normal? man!....oh well, let see what the dealer has to say about this one?

Lindsay Cadillac
12-07-05, 09:27 PM
It's definately not normal for your clutch to be "pulled back in". Sounds like a similar problem to what is mentioned in the TSB. IIRC one of our customers that came in that had an early date code clutch had their clutch act the same way.

You say the trans tech said everything checked OK... Was the transmission removed and the date code on the pressure plate checked?? That's the only way you can check the date... You might want to check on that...

bobwhat
12-07-05, 09:40 PM
I would be willing to bet that you had my ex-wife in your car! Stinks, doesn't it?

obzidian
12-09-05, 01:39 AM
james, im not sure to be honest. He told me yes but not sure.

I might go to another dealer and see what they say. They also worked on my aligment and it is now worse than before i took!!! The car is now all over the place. Follows just about everything on the road and pulls NASTY to the right!!! DRives me nuts because i cant drive confidently fast about 60mph.

obzidian
12-11-05, 12:17 AM
wow, if she stank like this its no wonder that she is your ex-wife...though its non of my business!! :)