: Yes, I love her

wildwhl
11-05-05, 12:06 AM
OK.

A nice Scalone Dore dinner, good company, and then remind the IS300 that it isn't an IS550, the Rustang 5.0L that it needs at least 7.0L to keep up (or forced induction) and toast a new C6 to boot - but it was close (45 mile twisty and fun drive home) and I quickly forget why I hate the V (dealer service) and remember why I love the V :cloud9:

Only 46 degrees tonight. Plenty of horsepower on tap - but I could really use more traction :worship:

Now I'm going to uncork a bottle of Decoy and make it a perfect night (plus we surpassed last year's sales by 15% today, landed what I believe will be our dream account, and I didn't blow the diff on the way home) :alchi:

Dennisscars
11-05-05, 12:12 AM
:highfive: .. :D

V-Max
11-05-05, 12:39 AM
LOVE, truly is blind. :)

Norm

BadCad
11-05-05, 12:43 AM
:tisk: does your honey know you're seeing 'nother and driving her wild? :tisk:

crowan
11-05-05, 12:44 AM
OK.

A nice Scalone Dore dinner, good company, and then remind the IS300 that it isn't an IS550, the Rustang 5.0L that it needs at least 7.0L to keep up (or forced induction) and toast a new C6 to boot - but it was close (45 mile twisty and fun drive home) and I quickly forget why I hate the V (dealer service) and remember why I love the V :cloud9:

Only 46 degrees tonight. Plenty of horsepower on tap - but I could really use more traction :worship:

Now I'm going to uncork a bottle of Decoy and make it a perfect night (plus we surpassed last year's sales by 15% today, landed what I believe will be our dream account, and I didn't blow the diff on the way home) :alchi:

Nothing melts my heart like a tender love story. You had me at "toast a C6.":cloud9:

CR

wildwhl
11-05-05, 01:42 AM
And the C6 was in the twisties :thumbsup: GSD3's did fine in the cold - but a little sketchy a time or two. Stabilitrak is your friend - especially with a StealthV tuned 2.6 pulley maggied V!

IS and 5.0 on the straight and narrow...with nowhere to go except behind me!

CaddyGeek
11-05-05, 01:46 AM
I'm a sucker for romance... :bouncy:

Dennisscars
11-05-05, 01:48 AM
I scared him with the thought of a hybrid...:D

wildwhl
11-05-05, 01:53 AM
Denniscars -

Now, if the hybrid had been AWD and only about 40 hp you would have had me - but that slick red one was just too sick looking.

Reality check tonight on the V versus the last fast car I drove before I got her back. Those waiting 6-12 months for their M5's and paying double the cost of a V can have them. I'll keep my American Iron in my hands for a while longer.

Let's see how x-pipe and 2.6 pulley tuning go over the next couple of weeks. Treat the LS6 like my liver :alchi: and replace her with something bigger when the time comes :cookoo:

Wife thinks it is time for me to get a "sensible" second car.

I couldn't agree more.

That E55AMG across the way with the weird Renntech logo on it is calling me. Mercedes are supposed to do well in crash test scores, right guys?

Then make the V more of a track car and head to Cali to play with the boys over there - whadya say Dennis?

Works for me :bouncy:

Dennisscars
11-05-05, 02:02 AM
I'm already planning for Laguna Seca in January. :D You should come..:thumbsup:
Running the track is 100 times better than light to light.. 1/4 mile is cool but like high school sex, lots of waiting and it's over before you knew what happened.

This car loves the twisties.. You should try it, you'll be hooked like the first time you drove it..
I don't know how a day at the track could be hard on the rear end.. Look at what Dado is doing...
orange brake calipers maybe...

CVP33
11-05-05, 05:24 AM
WW,

Reminds me of my first time. Slowly pulled back the plastic covering on my Hungry Man Salisbury Steak TV Dinner, ahh the smell of that gravy. (or gravy like substance) The sweet apple cobbler super heated in the microwave to "roof of the mouth peeling" temperatures. All washed down in haste behind grape Kool-Aid with a 1/4 cup too much sugar.

Once on the road, sunroof open with only the sounds of a Billy Boat 3" exhaust to treat the senses. Reminding Mr. G35 that he has a great car, albeit about 100 ponies short of a fair fight. And Mr. Mustang GT that although his stripes and shape remind one of a Shelby Cobra, you sir are no Cobra.

Now home I relax in my recliner, bunny slippers, cool beverage with hand firmly on crotch ala Al Bundy style. Ain't life grand. :cool:

urbanski
11-05-05, 09:57 AM
cool WW :)

i broke my torque wrench last nite :( shouldv'e listened to Rick telling me to buy a good one

wildwhl
11-05-05, 11:16 AM
Urby -

What were you prying on with your torque wrench?

heavymetals
11-05-05, 02:34 PM
The money you save doing it yourself you should spend on tools.:canttalk:

BadCad
11-05-05, 04:03 PM
Too much romance is this thread. :tisk:

urbanski
11-05-05, 04:07 PM
Urby -

cradle bolts :(
i busted something, now it doesn't "click" lol

edit: bright side is now I have a "breaker bar" :D

crowan
11-05-05, 04:09 PM
Too much romance is this thread. :tisk:

Who says men are afraid to commit?:D

BadCad
11-05-05, 04:13 PM
Who says men are afraid to commit?:tisk:
Sad what working on a V will do.... You lose all your senses and start babbling, getting love on your mind. :helpless:

Lindsay Cadillac
11-05-05, 11:25 PM
Can we get a :grouphug:

Luna.
11-07-05, 05:51 PM
Running the track is 100 times better than light to light.. 1/4 mile is cool but like high school sex, lots of waiting and it's over before you knew what happened.

OMG--how did I miss this comment? :histeric:

11-07-05, 06:10 PM
The words are slightly changed where bolded...but you all know the melody (don't you??):

My pappy said, 'Son, you're gonna drive me t' drinkin' ...
If you don't quit drivin' that - Hot ... Rod ... Lincoln!'

Well, you've heard the story of the hot rod race,
When the Ford and the Caddy were settin' the pace.
That story's true I'm here to say,
Cause I was a'drivin' that Model A.
It's got a Lincoln motor and it's really souped up;
That Model A body makes it look like a pup.
It's got 12 cylinders and uses them all;
And an overdrive that just won't stall.
It's got a 4-barrel carb and dual exhausts,
4:11 gears that really get lost -
Safety tubes and I'm not scared,
The brakes are good and the tires are fair.
We left San Pedro late one night;
The moon and the stars were shinin' bright.
We were drivin' up Grapevine Hill,
Passin' cars like they were standin' still.
Then, all of a sudden, in the wink of an eye,
a Cadillac V-series passed us by.

The remark was made, "That's the car for me."
But, by then, the taillights wuz all you could see.
Well, the fellers ribbed me for bein' behind,
So I started to make that Lincoln unwind.
Took my foot off the gas and, man alive,
I shoved it down into overdrive.
Well, I wound it up to 110;
Twisted the speedometer cable right off the end.
Had my foot glued right to the floor;
I said, "That's all there is - there ain't no more."
Now the fellas thought I'd lost all sense;
The telephone poles looked like a picket fence.
They said, "Slow down, I see spots."
The lines on the road just looked like dots.
Went around a corner and passed a truck;
I crossed my fingers just for luck -
The fenders clickin' the guard rail post;
The guy beside me was white as a ghost.
Smoke was rollin' outta the back
When I started to gain on that Cadillac
I thought I could catch him and hoped I could pass
But when I did I'd be short on gas.

There were flames comin' from out of the side;
You could feel the tension; man, what a ride.
I said, "Look out, boys, I've got a license to fly"
And the Cadillac accelerated and disappeared in the wink of an eye.
All of a sudden a rod started knockin';
Down in the depths she started a rockin'.
I looked in the mirror and a red light was blinkin';
The cops was after my Hot Rod Lincoln.
Well they arrested me and put me in jail.
I called my pop to make my bail.
He said, "Son, you're gonna drive me t' drinkin',
If you don't quit drivin' that - Hot ... Rod ... Lincoln!"

VELOSE
11-07-05, 06:28 PM
Well, WildWhil is going to drive me t' drinkin' if he ever comes down to visit us Cali guys. It's good to hear you aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
What a beast, 2.6" pulley and StealthV Tune. :eek: If you guys ever setup something for Laguna Seca track day, let me know. I'll be there.

lawfive
11-07-05, 06:34 PM
I've only got a 2.8 pulley and a Stealth tune, but even I have big callouses on my fingers from trying to hold onto the steering wheel.

wildwhl
11-07-05, 06:34 PM
Denniscars is trying to get me to the track...but I don't know...I'm a bit chicken I think.

Even Dreamin was trying last summer. I'm basically a track virgin (or close to it) so...maybe...we'll see :hmm:

Dennisscars
11-07-05, 10:47 PM
arnold voice.. DO IT.... DO IT NOW...
http://www.nasaproracing.com/norcal/events/schedules/2006dates.htm

remember what it felt like after the first test drive? Well multiply it times 1000.

Remember the first time on the 1/4 mile for under a quarter minute? multiply times {(4 x 20) minutes x 4} times per day. :D

We're going to Buttonwillow this weekend running both days. wheeeee....:woohoo: the only downside, maggie likes the gas, about a 1/4 tank per 20 min session...:alchi: but that maggie whine ..oh yeah...:cool2:

Velose, Jan 21, 22 they only open Laguna Seca very few times/year for novices, so we are planning to go unless weather bad.

Dennisscars
11-07-05, 11:12 PM
this could be you.....
http://www.bokchoys.com/motorsportphotos/buttonwillow/other/index.htm

VELOSE
11-08-05, 04:00 AM
Velose, Jan 21, 22 they only open Laguna Seca very few times/year for novices, so we are planning to go unless weather bad.

I will most likely be in Mexico in January. However, I'm going to just fly in and fly out. I will see when it is that I need to go down there. If I can work it so that I can attend Laguna with you guys those days, I'm THERE!

I've done three track day events up at Thunderhill Raceway. However, those track days were not with the V. So I will definitely need the first two sessions to get used to the weight and horsepower of this car. Man, my nuts tingle just knowing that when I'm all warmed up on a road course, the maggie will be boosting for long periods of time. :yup:

Dennisscars
11-08-05, 12:18 PM
I was looking at Thunderhill too, but the V particularly with the maggie likes to stretch it's legs and TH looks like a light car track, too many twisties. Willow springs with only like 9 turns and long straight (135mph) is better suited to our car. A 500hp modded M5 told me he was not happy with his car that he didn't have enough to pass a lowly Cadillac. oh well, better luck next time Hauns.

The light cars like lots of twisties because they don't have much top end and with no weight they don't have to stand on the brakes till the last second, unlike us.

You'll be up to speed by the end of the first session, this car is very predictable and goes where you point it, if not stabiltrack makes you look like a great driver. I've had porch drivers tell me they thought I was going in too hot for a big car and was sure I was going into the weeds but amazed that it just walked around the turn.

VELOSE
11-08-05, 01:48 PM
Dennis, you are getting me excited....:D

Now the question is, will WildWhl come?

Dennisscars
11-08-05, 05:15 PM
Note to self...:holycrap: he's only talking about cars... he's only talking about cars...

:duck:

urbanski
11-08-05, 08:13 PM
ww, you and Rick didn't reply to my e-mail:(
you guys must be really busy :(

Dreamin
11-08-05, 09:08 PM
I was looking at Thunderhill too, but the V particularly with the maggie likes to stretch it's legs and TH looks like a light car track, too many twisties. Willow springs with only like 9 turns and long straight (135mph) is better suited to our car.

Maps of Thunderhill look deceptive... it's a 3 miles long track... so it ends up being lots of straights connected with (mostly) gentle turns. Great track for the V. Very safe too... only 2 walls... nothing but grass everywhere else.

I hit 125 on the front straight (turn 15-1), and i take turn 8 at ~100mph in the V (stock).
http://www.thunderhill.com/assets/images/trackmapnew02.jpg

Turn 2:
http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/THs03.jpg

Turn 5:
http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/THs07.jpg

P.S. Thunderhill is only 200 miles from Reno.

Dennisscars
11-08-05, 09:50 PM
Dreamin - gladly stand corrected.

hmmm... ROADTRIP!!

Dennisscars
11-08-05, 09:55 PM
What's the best time, weather wise, to go? It'd be a pretty good hike from SoCal, but doable.

Wild?

Dreamin
11-09-05, 12:46 AM
Weather is very much like Socal... Nov-Mar could be raining, could be bright, sunny and 75 deg.

Wild, check this out: http://www.thunderhill.com/html/driving_school.html
(I am an instructor at these)

Maybe a Calif. V track day - get together ?!:cool2:

wildwhl
11-09-05, 01:47 AM
Urby -

Busy, yes...still laughing at the broken torque wrench - did you hurt yourself?

Just bustin' ya balls...sorry, Urby, must have slipped my mind :)

Dreamin - keep it up...you might get me there.

Dennisscars
11-09-05, 11:39 AM
Now that would be worth the 8 hour drive... A V driver instructor!

Dreamin - spring time better for me would prefer chance of better weather because of long travel. Hate to get there and be called on account of weather. I like to drive but don't care to track in the rain. Looks like NASA runs there alot.

VELOSE
11-09-05, 02:11 PM
The three times I've been to Thunderhill, I went with my 03' VW GTI VR6. I could go down the straight at a max of 100mph. So with a V and supercharged, I'm assuming 150mph if I want to go in hot in turn 1 which is pretty wide anyway.

Yeah Dennis, get up here. We'll milk Dreamin' for some pointers with our V. :D

urbanski
11-09-05, 02:26 PM
yes, in fact i did hurt myself when breaking my Tq wrench lol
pulled my hamstring i was pulling so hard. damn cradle bolts.

oh and my new headers are here YAY...but i missed the truck today, hopefully tomorrow

wildwhl
11-09-05, 11:51 PM
Urby -

A long piece of pipe on a breaker bar is an easier way to get to 180 ft lbs :D

VELOSE
11-10-05, 03:17 AM
With all this recent talk about going to the track. The stars aligned and now I'm going last minute to Thunderhill Raceway. I noticed they extended the registration deadline, the wife told me she would be staying at her mom's house for a couple days, and Friday is Veteran's Day. I'm going with the same group I've gone with the last three times, www.unlimitedlaps.com. Seeing that I'm in the Mortgage Loan business, if banks are closed, I am too, SCREW IT!:devil:

If all goes well, I have a buddy coming along with me. He's going to bring his camera mount and record me chasing down whomever I can. :D I'll have a video to share when I get back.

*reminder to self* Make sure to change my voicemail greeting on Thursday night. Sorry clients. :bouncy:

Dennisscars
11-10-05, 12:27 PM
Right on..:highfive: I'm going to Buttonwillow this weekend, we'll swap stories Sunday. Wild, set your clock.

Don't forget: 3" blue tape from Homedepot, torque wrench, do not let gas get below 1/4, will poop out on hard RH turn. Will not run under 1/8. :banghead:

BTW, we call them "mental health" days.:D

VELOSE
11-10-05, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the tips. I already picked up a jug of coolant. Just in case I need it. Remember, take an air pressure guage as well. I don't know how accurate ours are in the car.

Good Luck out there guys! :thumbsup:

Dennisscars
11-10-05, 03:30 PM
I haven't had any heating problems, only once when I was running too high up in the power band on a hot day. With the maggie you can pull a gear higher anyway. No reason to overrev.

I ran the F1's to where when they were up to temp there where just under the 42 warning. If I remember, start out around 33-35. The dunlop race rubber I'm running now are rated at 51 so the tire warning is going off all the time anyway, most annoying.

This will be the first time out with the X-pipe, I'm hoping they are loud enough. The video I've seen you can only hear the maggie, at least they can hear me coming...:devil:

VELOSE
11-10-05, 04:55 PM
Thanks I'll run with those air pressures and see how that works for me.

When I get back, I have an appointment to take in the V on Tuesday. I'm going to find out if I have that common radiator problem. My "Check Coolant Low" notice comes on every other day. I have seen I do need coolant. It's a smidge under the required level.

Anyhow, this thread went off topic from like page one. We love our V's too WildWhl. :D

Dennisscars
11-10-05, 05:17 PM
:grouphug: