: 7 Series v. S Class v. A8 v. XJ v. Phaeton

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-04-05, 05:52 PM
One of my favorite types of cars is the $70-$130k flagship luxury sedans. Nowadays there are 5 main cars that compete in this area. The BMW 7 Series, Mercedes Benz S Class, Audi A8, Jaguar XJ, and Volkswagen Phaeton. These cars offer almost anything you can imagine, along with prestige and engineering. They offer everything form V8's to V-12's (in america) Out of all the 2006 models, which would you enjoy driving the most? Here's my ranking:

1- 2007 Mercedes Benz S Class
2- 2007 Audi A8
3- 2007 Volkswagen Phaeton
4- 2007 Jaguar XJ
5- 2007 BMW 7 Series

mccombie_5
11-04-05, 06:01 PM
2- 2007 Audi A8
4- 2007 Jaguar XJ
5- 2007 BMW 7 Series

For driving pleasure, and havinf had some interest in those, i would rate them the following way for driver please:

The Phaeton needs to be lower than the Jaguar, the Jag is much more as an all rounder, it has luxury and agility.

I had an extended test drive in the Jaguar, and i loved it, im getting the XJR for 2006.

The Phaeton is the most well engineered.

The BMW is the most controversial

The Audi is the best looking

The Mercedes is the most prestigious

And the Jaguar is the best all rounder.

SpeedyArizona
11-04-05, 06:44 PM
I'd take the BMW 7-Series anyday, but that Jaguar is a close 2nd. For my money, I'd take two 5-Series, now that's a true "Drivers car".

I don't think I could use the IDrive on the new 7-Series, way to complicated!

mccombie_5
11-04-05, 06:49 PM
I'd take the BMW 7-Series anyday, but that Jaguar is a close 2nd. For my money, I'd take two 5-Series, now that's a true "Drivers car".
I don't think I could use the IDrive on the new 7-Series, way to complicated!

The 5 series I-Drive is little better.....

If we're talking 5 series id take a 545i Touring...oh wait.... i have one.....with some damage :(

ben72227
11-04-05, 06:56 PM
The:

Audi - Best looking, its a modern land yacht IMO with that W12;)
Jag - Jags are always great looking cars and this is no exception
Mercedes - not my kind of car, but the S class has always been regarded quite highly
BMW - YUCK, the more they change, the worse they get. Get rid of Bangle already
VW - They should stick to making wierdo cars ;)for people who want something different from a Honda Accord...They are the "Peoples Car" afterall, and this Phaeton thing is way out of their league. If you want something like that, get an Audi:D

Sandy
11-04-05, 07:08 PM
NONE OF THEM !

I'll take a Maserati Quadraporte over all of them. V-12 and you don't have to settle, they will build it for you any which way you want it. You pick the leather, the stitching, the carpet, the headliner, the brand stereo and anything else. Comes with a a front TV and a Rear TV, heated pwr. reclining & vibrating & air conditioned seats in each seating posistion, a rear seat 'Fridge, mouton, wool, or nylon carpets, choice of leather type, MP3 CD Changer video DVD and more. 6 speed Automatic, rear wheel drive. Hand crafted. Self dimming windows (side & rear) by day, self lighten at night.19" run Flats, matching luggage in trunk to match leather seats, too. Turns the lights on in your home as you drive up.
Nothing comes even close to it.
What color do you want ?
1977 Cadillac Bimini Beige ? No problem, your wish, their command.

Makes the other look 10 years old. $ 135,000. Fully loaded.

Jesda
11-04-05, 07:23 PM
1. XJ - Class, tradition, heritage, and power.
2. A8 - Modern art on four wheels.
3. Phaeton - Value, precision, and more value. Understated power and elegance.
4. S-Class - Getting long in the tooth, but makes a strong statement. The new S-class looks awful.
5. Q45 - Needs a new front suspension. Best V8 engine ever.
6. 7-Series - What the hell is the point of this car?
7. LS430 - Lexus is gay.

I like the Quattroporte as well, but the ride is too rough. As far as luxury and prestige, I'd definitely put it near the top.

mccombie_5
11-04-05, 07:34 PM
Actually Sandy, i forgot about the Quat. I love those, they are beautiful (maybe the most beautiful four door) car on the planet.

Who knows. In a few years i might have one. I cant justify spendin so much on something Italian just yet, when they become cheap maybe, just maybe.

Sandy
11-04-05, 10:41 PM
Jesda, you've driven a Maser Q ? I have not. I'd assume that the ride is tuned toward performance, based upon their heritage, after all it IS a Maserati.

Ralph
11-04-05, 10:55 PM
You might include (at the very top of the price range) the Bentley Flying Spur.

For my money I might take a 7-Series, (though the iDrive would probably drive me nuts). I wonder how the reliability is on those new Quattroportes. They old ones, well, Maserati wasn't known for build quality.

Jesda
11-05-05, 12:00 AM
Jesda, you've driven a Maser Q ? I have not. I'd assume that the ride is tuned toward performance, based upon their heritage, after all it IS a Maserati.

I wish I did.

James May, the only guy on Top Gear who doesn't use exaggerations and hyperbole in a car review, said that it was appropriate as a performance sedan, but crummy as a luxury car because the ride was uncomfortably choppy. When you have a back seat that big, you expect some isolation from nasty pavement.

Leloz
11-05-05, 07:37 AM
I had the pleasure of driving a 2005 Maserati Quattroporte Sport a couple of months back. My friend bought it as his daily driver and his wife drives a 760Li. I know Sandy mentioned a V12, I did not know they were available with that engine? My friend has a 4.2 liter 400hp V8 in his and although it had the sensational Italian exhaust note, it was not a performer compared to his 760Li that I drove right afterwards. More heads turned for the 760Li than the Maserati, the Maserati styling is a tad bland in my opinion. Another thing that nagged me was the size of the Maserati, it was as big as a CLS Mercedes! It also costs as much as a CLS 55 Mercedes which is a far better buy than the Maserati in terms of performance.

From the original list posted above, I would have to go with the BMW. Mercedes does not have the build quality it used to, Audi/VW are trying to enter a level of sophistication and prestige that will take them years to achieve, and Jaguar is just not my bag of tea.

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/09/bmw760li06.JPG

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-05-05, 09:09 AM
the redesigned '06 7 Series doesn't look as bad as the 02-05 models, and they made the I-Drive easier to deal with.

mccombie_5
11-05-05, 09:11 AM
the redesigned '06 7 Series doesn't look as bad as the 02-05 models, and they made the I-Drive easier to deal with.

I-Drive is the worst piece of over engineering since the GM oil life monitor:)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-05-05, 09:15 AM
Yeah, agreed. I tried to use it at the BMW dealer and it worked alright there, but it's got to be very tough to use while driving. It's just another example of BMW's desire to modernize and change everything. I think personally, they should be more conservative with their designs and technology. I'm thinking that Bangle's designs will turn off many potential and repeat customers to the BMW brand.

mccombie_5
11-05-05, 09:35 AM
Well, i had a 1997 540i. It was stolen, so with the insurance money i got a 2004 540i Touring, its a good car, but the I-Drive lets it down so much.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-05-05, 09:43 AM
yeah thats what I've heard. Great to drive but terribly complicated and there fore hard to live with.

mccombie_5
11-05-05, 09:49 AM
yeah thats what I've heard. Great to drive but terribly complicated and there fore hard to live with.

It is, so much so that i gave it to my son, and hes trading it for a new Jaguar :p

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-05-05, 09:53 AM
excellent

Caddy Man
11-05-05, 11:31 AM
Phaeton is a completly unneccessary car, like many auto magazines have said, its ''the answer to a question nobody asked''. I admit I maybe be brand councious, I will not shell out 70 g's for a VW no matter how good they make it.

The S class has always been the 'leader' of the flagship pack, and the new S class is gonna kill em!!! Looks great!

Ive always loved jaguar (my family had a 1984 XJ6 back in the day, and we have a 1996 Vanden Plas right now, so I am a bit partial) Jags styling is like no other, I love the minor update they did with the XJ's.

BMW is classy, but way to much technology, I sat in my freinds and was just overwhelmed.

Audi A8, looks great, read great reviews, dont really have much of an opinion, before the current model, the A8 really wasnt shit.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-05-05, 11:37 AM
what does everyone like so much about Jag's styling?

Caddy Man
11-05-05, 11:39 AM
what does everyone like so much about Jag's styling?
Its just so differnt, name a car on the road that looks like a jaguar?? It has so many lines sweeping the hood and the pouncing Jaguar, just looks so damn sexy.

AznPrydeRegalRyde
11-05-05, 11:46 AM
One of my favorite types of cars is the $70-$130k flagship luxury sedans. Nowadays there are 5 main cars that compete in this area. The BMW 7 Series, Mercedes Benz S Class, Audi A8, Jaguar XJ, and Volkswagen Phaeton. These cars offer almost anything you can imagine, along with prestige and engineering. They offer everything form V8's to V-12's (in america) Out of all the 2006 models, which would you enjoy driving the most? Here's my ranking:

2- 2007 Audi A8
4- 2007 Jaguar XJ
5- 2007 BMW 7 Series

That's quite the widespread comparison. Does Jag offer anything like the SL65? The quattroport is more in a class with the CLS.

Having driven all of the 2006 models of these, except the quattroport, I'll tell that the best sedan is the JAG. Sure it may not have the outright power available that BMW or Mercedes has. But it looks the part. It does have 400 hp if needed. It's whole body and frame is super-light, it rides incredibly well on 20's. All this for much cheaper then the equivalent BMW and Mercedes, without the starched collar. I felt like I could have more fun in the Jag. Funny thing, since it's been a Ford extension, Jag's quality has actually increased.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-05-05, 11:55 AM
Its just so differnt, name a car on the road that looks like a jaguar?? It has so many lines sweeping the hood and the pouncing Jaguar, just looks so damn sexy.

well I cant exactly think of anything else that looks like a Jag. I always associate Jags with black tie and gala events, Heres what comes to mind when I think "Jaguar"
http://i6.ebayimg.com/04/a/05/54/bf/ef_4.JPG

AznPrydeRegalRyde
11-05-05, 12:09 PM
well I cant exactly think of anything else that looks like a Jag. I always associate Jags with black tie and gala events, Heres what comes to mind when I think "Jaguar"
http://i6.ebayimg.com/04/a/05/54/bf/ef_4.JPG

This photo goes to show how timeless Jag designs are? Look at those ugly rims, and the car STILL looks great! Look at any bmw or MB from the same era. Even with nice rims, they still don't have the class a flagship luxury sedan should have.

Playdrv4me
11-05-05, 01:03 PM
Bar none out of that short list:

Any BMW 7 Series followed by the tremendous Audi A8L. Many people forget it wasnt a 7'er or an S Class that had the lead in Ronin... it was an S8. I dont think anyone is quite prepared for the next S8... it will be an absolute masterpiece of performance and technology. It will come with a variant of the Lamborghini Gallardo V10.

Jaguar is nice, but falling behind in terms of technology, the Phaeton is not my cup of tea from a visual perspective, and the LS430 can't get away from the feeling its simply a big Camry with a V8 and lots of technology. Toyota only hurt themselves when they crammed half its technology into the 30,000.00 cheaper Avalon.

mccombie_5
11-05-05, 01:04 PM
Phaeton is a completly unneccessary car, like many auto magazines have said, its ''the answer to a question nobody asked''. I admit I maybe be brand councious, I will not shell out 70 g's for a VW no matter how good they make it.
The S class has always been the 'leader' of the flagship pack, and the new S class is gonna kill em!!! Looks great!
Ive always loved jaguar (my family had a 1984 XJ6 back in the day, and we have a 1996 Vanden Plas right now, so I am a bit partial) Jags styling is like no other, I love the minor update they did with the XJ's.
BMW is classy, but way to much technology, I sat in my freinds and was just overwhelmed.
Audi A8, looks great, read great reviews, dont really have much of an opinion, before the current model, the A8 really wasnt shit.

which minor update?

PLease tell me you mean the 1994 update

The new JX is an all new car.... tell em you know that, please!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-05-05, 01:13 PM
and the LS430 can't get away from the feeling its simply a big Camry with a V8 and lots of technology. Toyota only hurt themselves when they crammed half its technology into the 30,000.00 cheaper Avalon.

I dont think the next gen LS will even have a V-12. I'm almost positive that they will have the LS460 and a hybrid model. I think they need a V-12 to compete with the big boys (M-B, BMW, Audi)

Jesda
11-05-05, 01:24 PM
The current LS has less power than my aging Q45. A modern tranny keeps its performance in line with competitors, but the engine is a wheezing (but smooth and silky) joke.

Jaguars are timeless. There's a traditional elegance about them that you cant find anywhere else. Props to Ford for preserving it.