: Gentlemen, 2 questions :)

urbanski
11-04-05, 05:22 PM
1. Please tell me exactly how I warped my front brake rotors....
I had a steering wheel shimmy w/ braking, fixed by turning my fronts. So...what gives? Those things are like tanks rite?
How do I NOT do that again, lol, cost me 100 bux.

2. While at dealer, saw an STS with this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-05-CADILLAC-STS-DUAL-MESH-GRILLE-GRILL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33645QQitemZ80122 93125QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Dual mesh grille.
Dang guys, it looked HOT. Where can we get one for ours?
:)
peace
urb

wildwhl
11-04-05, 05:33 PM
Quit standing on your brakes and downshift.

Cool grill, but I like mine the way it is.

Adam
11-04-05, 05:39 PM
that grill is made by e&g classic, www.egclassic.com (http://www.egclassic.com) but i dont think they make it for the CTS/ CTS V. well, they dont display all of their products so see if you can find a number to contact them. when i was gonna order my classic spare for my Fleetwood i had to call, dont remember the number, got it from someone on here though.

2. While at dealer, saw an STS with this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-05-CADILLAC-STS-DUAL-MESH-GRILLE-GRILL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33645QQitemZ80122 93125QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Dual mesh grille.
Dang guys, it looked HOT. Where can we get one for ours?
:)
peace
urb

Dennisscars
11-04-05, 08:48 PM
Always, always torque wheels. Do not let hammer heads use impact gun.
Use the brakes and get off them.

BadCad
11-04-05, 08:52 PM
urb:
Ebay has the dual weave grill at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADILLAC-CTS-DUAL-WEAVE-GRILLE-GRILL-2004-2005-GRILLS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33645QQitemZ8011 965024QQrdZ1, they're ~$500 for a dual set but the bottom grill won't fit your V.

V-Max
11-04-05, 09:05 PM
Probably uneven brake deposits. A track day would clean them! :)

Even a little rust, especially this time of year, don't help considering the size of rotors to scrap and light brake application while driving.

Norm

ntechnic
11-04-05, 09:30 PM
Every month or so I do a mini pad bed in routine. It helps to make sure that the pad material is deposited evenly across the rotor surface.

Bed your pads in right to start with, and do the bedding procedure now and then and you should be fine.

Lindsay Cadillac
11-04-05, 09:44 PM
1. Please tell me exactly how I warped my front brake rotors....
I had a steering wheel shimmy w/ braking, fixed by turning my fronts. So...what gives? Those things are like tanks rite?
How do I NOT do that again, lol, cost me 100 bux.
They charged you??? :hmm: How many miles are on your car??

2. While at dealer, saw an STS with thisI can check with our E&G rep on Monday and see if they have any plans for something like that on the V...

urbanski
11-04-05, 10:08 PM
Thanks Lindsay :)
edit: 16K miles. It wasn't deposits, i know how to check that, it was warped

Lindsay Cadillac
11-04-05, 10:25 PM
Thanks Lindsay :)
edit: 16K miles. It wasn't deposits, i know how to check that, it was warped
All I'll say is... If you were our customer and you brought your car in with 16,000 miles on it and the rotors were warped you would not have been charged...:cool2:

crowan
11-04-05, 11:33 PM
All I'll say is... If you were our customer and you brought your car in with 16,000 miles on it and the rotors were warped you would not have been charged...:cool2:

James:

I'm sitting here filling out a Cadillac Service Satisfaction Survey from my last visit to Lindsay. If the praise gets any more glowing there are going to think we are dating. :histeric:

Carl

NoSlackCadillac
11-05-05, 01:21 AM
Not sure what you were doing prior, but setting the parking brake while they are hot , ie after a few stops from ~100+, can cause them to warp. It prevents the natural contraction of the metal clamped in place by the calipers.

Lindsay Cadillac
11-05-05, 07:17 AM
James:

I'm sitting here filling out a Cadillac Service Satisfaction Survey from my last visit to Lindsay. If the praise gets any more glowing there are going to think we are dating. :histeric:

Carl
Hey, whatever it takes to make our customers happy... :lildevil:

Dennisscars
11-05-05, 11:05 AM
Not sure what you were doing prior, but setting the parking brake while they are hot , ie after a few stops from ~100+, can cause them to warp. It prevents the natural contraction of the metal clamped in place by the calipers.

I've heard the same thing, but I think because we have golf cart brake shoes, like the older corvettes, I think it's lesser a problem than the kind the cam over the calipers. But still a good idea to not set parking brake after spirited brake episode.

Beware of tire stores that use air impact guns, you'll be back in a couple of weeks with pulsating brakes, just in time for their "sale" on brake repairs. Seen it thousands of times. Costco now uses torque wrenches because they don't do brakes and tired of paying for brake jobs. (not advertising for Costco, I take my tires on/off myself and take tires in my PU and torque myself and check often)

CTS-VPaco
11-05-05, 12:51 PM
I never really gave my brakes a work out, but on wednesday I took my car out for a DE event. Tuesday, I took my rotors in to be turned, and I watched the process. They were warped pretty good. I don't know why, but now the car brakes like a dream.

urbanski
11-05-05, 03:01 PM
At least I'm not the only one who warped em. I beat the hell out of this car (no I dont GM) so it only makes sense I was at fault. Just wonder how a guy like GTP can cook the calipers orange but not warp rotors, lol