: My V Tires Win C&D Performance Tire Competition

lawfive
11-04-05, 03:06 PM
After much discussion and thread reviewing here at the V forum, I replaced my original F1 Supercar EMTs with Goodyear F1 GS-D3s at 16K miles. Now at 21K miles, I couldn't be happier with my choice.

In this month's issue of Car & Driver I was pleased, but not surprised, to see that the GS-D3 beat 10 other performance tires including many of the ones I considered based on the experiences of some on this forum. The GS-D3 isn't the right tire if you want max hookup on dry pavement, but it still performs great on dry and absolutely rocks on wet, and is also great in terms of noise, bumps, tracking - all things to consider when the car is your daily driver and you use it to cart around your loved ones. Or your family.

Plus, the tread lasstss & lasstss. As usual, the knowledge on this forum helped me make an informed choice.

willsctsv
11-04-05, 03:52 PM
I have had them on the car now for 7K miles and there is still plenty of thread and I have done the Glen once with them and Pocono's twice. I also like to do a few burnout's once or twice a week. Something I need to get out of my system.
So, I agree.. The wear is excellent and the grip is great also. No complaints here. Just gonna go wider in the rear, 275's. I think it will help the car hook up better during those 1-2 redline shifts!

dqw1
11-04-05, 06:50 PM
Just read the same test in C&D. I have to buy new tires real soon and I plan on getting a set. Glad to know you guys are pleased with them. Makes me feel better. Hopefully more members will chime in here. Tire rack has them for $194.

Luna.
11-04-05, 06:57 PM
I found this interesting:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

Apparently, our Eagle F1s are the worst tires??

lol

What I found particularily amusing was the "treadwear" rating... /duh

(If you look closely, it appears that the Kumho's aren't worse in the treadwear ratings--they actually score a 7.1 which means what--the F1s are the worst wearing tires out there???)

evil 8
11-04-05, 11:47 PM
My tires came in second to last. AWESOME . I knew that going in, these are dry only tires. I never drive my V in the rain, so max dry performance was the goal. Banana peels work better than the runflats.

ctsvinman
11-05-05, 10:32 AM
evil 8, what tires are you running?

I've had the GS-D3's on my car since 3k miles, it now has 19k. Great tires, no complaints at all :thumbsup:

I've put 16k miles on them and still have quite a bit of tread. I don't burn out in the caddy, have only done it once or twice. I do bang 2ng gear shifts and spin em there though quite often. Not that I'm Not a burn out guy...... I roast the tires every weekend in my GSX, that BB 455 Buick TQ is only a blip of the throttle away....... :burn:

VinMan out.....

evil 8
11-05-05, 12:25 PM
I am running BFG G-force KDs. According to BFG, KD stands for Killer Dry. They are that, they handle great in the dry, I have never driven in the rain with this car.

CRZY747
11-05-05, 12:32 PM
Now all we need is a killer rear end in this car, can you find that in C&D. I want one

JET

ctsvinman
11-05-05, 02:09 PM
I might have to consider those G-force tires next since it doesn't rain all that much here in CA (Bay Area) and during the 3-4 months it does rain, I drive the Explorer on those rainy days anyway, I wouldn't want the V to catch a cold or get sick......:vomit:

VinMan out.....

lawfive
11-05-05, 02:54 PM
Now all we need is a killer rear end in this car, can you find that in C&D. I want one

JET

I see a killer rear end in the post just above yours! Tally Ho!! "TARGETING ENABLED. BOGEY ACQUIRED. MANEUVERING FOR REAR ATTACK... FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE! FOX ONE!"

crowan
11-05-05, 02:56 PM
It was an interesting comparison study. My Toyos not only got drubbed, they were mocked as well.:crying:

If I ever wear out the T1Rs, I may have to try the Goodyears.

CR

04CTSVFLA
11-05-05, 03:00 PM
The GS-D3 isn't the right tire if you want max hookup on dry pavement

whats a good tire more Maximum hookup? Is it worth getting drag radials as a daily tire to use on the street?

lawfive
11-05-05, 03:04 PM
The best dry traction street tire I've driven so far is (God help me) the F1 Supercar EMT. Our stock tire.

BeagleBrains
11-05-05, 03:20 PM
18 months and just approaching 10,000 miles on the Run-Flats. The tread remaining seems to be pleading for replacement; air will be showing through all too soon. GS-D3s ordered today.
I did not think that my or my wife's driving habits were that hard; but the wear is taking a toll apparently due to being pushed hard. :confused:
I appreciate C&D and our Forum.

rgd
11-05-05, 05:20 PM
I have had GS D3'S on my car since 6,407 mi. and have 2,073, they have performed great. Only problem is they are running on the tread markers now. Ooopppsss, for some reason I think they wear a little faster when you take every turn as fast as you can. I swear it's not my fault, the :lildevil: makes me drive like that!

I wonder if I can get a warranty brake on my next pair due to early treadwear? NOT!

rd

04CTSVFLA
11-05-05, 05:49 PM
The best dry traction street tire I've driven so far is (God help me) the F1 Supercar EMT. Our stock tire.

are you serious? Is it worth getting drag radials as a daily tire to use on the street?

heavymetals
11-05-05, 06:45 PM
I bought the same tire, but I went up one size to a 255.

ace996
11-05-05, 08:44 PM
I've chimed in a few times about MAX performance DRY tires before, so forgive me if this is redundant.

In order to find the STICKIEST street tire, and not just go by one person/one test's results/opinions, I refer to the SCCA SoloII National Championship....the largest motorsport competition in the world. The majority of the competitors use dedicated tires for competition and will spend whatever is needed to find the last few thousandths.

http://www.scca.org/_Filelibrary/File/2005SoloNationals-FINALresults.pdf
Check STS,STS2,and STU...the street tire classes (Yoko Neova's had some play!)
By far, the most popular "street class" tires used are the Falken 615s and Kumho MX offerings. These tires not only have PROVEN results that beat the best offerings from Mich/Bridge/Good/Pirelli/ect, they are usually much cheaper.

I will say that properly shaved, our stock tires would be a damn good choice for max grip and turn-in. As the sidewalls are better than r-compound stiff and the rubber is as sticky as anything I've ever driven, a smaller car...like the STi or EVO would be a real killer in STU class...where the AWD cars have a 245 max width limit.

For me, come Spring, I'm going Falken 615s..probably in 255/40/18 all around.
-ace

thebigjimsho
11-06-05, 09:21 PM
Just a word of caution. That comparo is a great idea of what tires can do side by side and for most cars, that would be pretty accurate.

HOWEVER, we do have a heavy car in which the suspension was tuned with runflats. Some of the tires in that comparo may have characteristics that aren't too great but that may turn out to be more valuable the heavier the car. I'm not saying the rankings would change if the test were done on a V, but it could be different.

trukk
11-07-05, 11:59 AM

DING DING DING. I have GSD3's. They are nice, but the stockers are just AMAZINGLY sticky. And the turn in is INCREDIBLE.

Now back to your regularly scheduled tire war thread.

-Chris

benjet
11-07-05, 01:50 PM
I have 12k on my GS-D3s and about (guesimating here) 50% tread left to the wear bars. Wouldn't go beck to EMTs EVER.