11-04-05, 03:20 PM
GM PART # 15793756
CATEGORY: Differential Carrier
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $1,937.86
OUR PRICE: $1,356.50

Luna.
11-04-05, 03:29 PM
I know I'm going to get smacked in the mouth for this, but what does it mean, "our price" and what does one have to do to qualify for that?

EDIT--nevermind--I miss read that the first time through.../duh

04CTSVFLA
11-04-05, 03:30 PM
I thought we could get this free of charge and under warranty

Mat347
11-04-05, 03:33 PM
"our price" means what anyone can get it for on that site...the list price is MSRP.
You should be able to get the new rear under warranty...they are just using the old part number till they run out.

DansCTSV
11-04-05, 03:39 PM
"they are just using the old part number till they run out.

Yeah, according to my dealership they will only replace the '04 and '05 rear ends with the old part number under warranty.

They probably have ton's of these sitting around in warehouses. This really stinks. I am not sure what to do. Hopefully that company in Australia will come through with something...

mandoer
11-04-05, 03:44 PM
I may be missing something big - when exactly and how does the rear diff go out? Do you guys race your V on the track/streets and/or is it as a result of acceleration with wheel hop? Or ___??
Just wondering whether this is something that is expected to go out with 'normal' driving and I should prep for it before my warranty expires.

urbanski
11-04-05, 03:45 PM
orly

Mat347
11-04-05, 03:51 PM
DansCTSV, you ask what we can do? Don't baby the rears and make them go out as much as possible(without putting your warranty in danger). I'm about to be on my 3d rear in under 5k miles.

mandoer, the 04-05 CTS-Vs use the same Getrag rearend that the V6 cars do. Getrag has given us the max ratings the rear end is designed for...the LS6 surpasses this rating by quite a bit. Not sure what GM was thinking when they kept using the rears a car sold for "supercar(from tires)" performance. At least the '06s get a rear with a higher rating.
If you NEVER floor it, you may be OK but who buys a V and doesn't use it?

trukk
11-04-05, 04:13 PM
GM PART # 15793756
CATEGORY: Differential Carrier
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $1,937.86
OUR PRICE: $1,356.50

Hey what they forget to mention:

OUR SHIPPING: $8,573

Damn bait and switch pricing,

Chris

heavymetals
11-04-05, 05:28 PM
Pretty interesting that they have enough new ones to sell through parts direct, but not enough to do a RECALL and fix ours like they should have in the first place, or at least replace the ones that fail now with the new rear end.

As far as using them until they are out, it is the SAME REAR END as the CTS, so WTF, are they gonna stop making the CTS also when they run out of rear ends?

Are they gonna replace the CTS rear end with the new one also?

cts-v ls6
11-04-05, 07:58 PM
Be careful with GM Parts Direct. They quote dealer's cost on parts, and 20% of the part price plus for shipping! I called them on a part once and asked "Why so much for shipping?" The reply I got was "We've got to cover our overhead!"

It's a scam

I bought my '06 rear from Fred Bean. $1492.15 plus $55.00 shipping.

LV_V
11-04-05, 08:10 PM
Here's my thoughts on the rear diff in our V:

Keep blowing through them. I've never raced my V, but I do admit that I drive it pretty hard. I am on my 4th diff and its whining but hasn't given out yet. My dealer takes care of me even though they feel my pain when I bring my V in at least twice a month for warranty repairs. The rear diff sucks and I will never buy another Cadillac again; EVER. Sucks for them, but looks like Germany or Italy gets my cash for my next car purchase. They know that a driveline needs to be built to handle what the engine is capable of putting out!!! Cadillac engineers done f'd up. F 'em.

heavymetals
11-04-05, 08:28 PM
Believe me when I tell you that the dealer service I have received is great, I have no complaint about that.

I just hate the lack of support from GM in what the V represents as a "flagship" of new products.

There was an engineering mistake made. It is an underated part, and it fails.

Just the idea of using the original part until they run out BUGS THE CRAP OUT OF ME.

And don't even get me started about the NAV!:canttalk:

LS2 Solstice
11-08-05, 07:10 PM
mandoer, the 04-05 CTS-Vs use the same Getrag rearend that the V6 cars do. Getrag has given us the max ratings the rear end is designed for...the LS6 surpasses this rating by quite a bit. Not sure what GM was thinking when they kept using the rears a car sold for "supercar(from tires)" performance. At least the '06s get a rear with a higher rating.
If you NEVER floor it, you may be OK but who buys a V and doesn't use it?

Mat347, I see hear that you say the rearend for the V is the same as the v6 cars for 04-05. What are the max ratings you speak of, and are the dimensions the same too???? Also is the 06 rear end with a higher rating a direct replacement??? :duck:
thanks..

jay

erp2863
11-08-05, 09:12 PM
Mat347, I see hear that you say the rearend for the V is the same as the v6 cars for 04-05. What are the max ratings you speak of, and are the dimensions the same too???? Also is the 06 rear end with a higher rating a direct replacement??? :duck:
thanks..

jay

Does your username imply you have ordered the Mallet Solstice conversion? Any idea what rear-end he decided to use? I know the stock Solstice uses the CTS rear. Maybe with a lighter car it will hold up better???

VELOSE
11-08-05, 09:16 PM
After reading some of the posts, it reminds me to not pay too much attention to what's being said.

Meaning, after reading how many times some of you have blown your diffs, it demoralizes me to own my V. I wish I didn't mod it. So that I could go out and ruin three diffs to qualify for Lemon Law.

Then again, I treat this as a positive thread. Mostly because I have 13K miles on my original diff and no problems. *crossing fingers*

I just hope I don't have to buy a diff, EVER. :D

Dennisscars
11-08-05, 09:47 PM
Hey what they forget to mention:

OUR SHIPPING: $8,573

Damn bait and switch pricing,

Chris

:hmm: came up with $298.43 for shipping for me..Still cheaper than a set up dubs.

LS2 Solstice
11-09-05, 08:47 AM
Does your username imply you have ordered the Mallet Solstice conversion? Any idea what rear-end he decided to use? I know the stock Solstice uses the CTS rear. Maybe with a lighter car it will hold up better???

Haha.. No I didn't order the mallet conversion, I am building my own for way cheaper. And going with a texas speed ls2 long block and M6. Yes the solstice has the cts rear, But of course it won't be able to hold up if they are breaking with 400hp or less. That's why I am inquiring (sp). Gotta figure out the rearend and if the updated version is a direct replacement for the 04-05. I can't wait to go 10's with the window sticker still in place.. haha. Thanks for the help guys..

Jay

LS2 Solstice
11-09-05, 08:54 AM
Are the Non-V CTS's having the same problem??

jay

DansCTSV
11-09-05, 10:07 AM
Haha.. No I didn't order the mallet conversion, I am building my own for way cheaper. And going with a texas speed ls2 long block and M6. Yes the solstice has the cts rear, But of course it won't be able to hold up if they are breaking with 400hp or less. That's why I am inquiring (sp). Gotta figure out the rearend and if the updated version is a direct replacement for the 04-05. I can't wait to go 10's with the window sticker still in place.. haha. Thanks for the help guys..

Jay

That sounds like a great project. Should be a lot of fun. I think you are going to be in the same boat we are in. You will need to find a better rear end. The '06 rear has a stronger casing but the internals and half shafts are all the same. These rear ends have been blowing in all different ways. Some just whine a lot, some have had the casings break in half, others grenade the internals while others are blowing the half shafts apart. Good luck and let us know if you find a good aftermarket rear.

Dan

Dave's V
11-09-05, 11:34 AM
Are the Non-V CTS's having the same problem??

jay

From what I heard, the CTS and SRX are having the same darn problem. I don't race mine and take a lot of highway trips. My first rear failed at around 1100 miles (I bought it wth 661 miles so I bet the test drives wheel hopped the SOB like crazy). My second one is starting to whine after it warms up at 15,000 miles.

The rear dif sucks but I still love this car.

LS2 Solstice
11-09-05, 04:02 PM
From what I heard, the CTS and SRX are having the same darn problem. I don't race mine and take a lot of highway trips. My first rear failed at around 1100 miles (I bought it wth 661 miles so I bet the test drives wheel hopped the SOB like crazy). My second one is starting to whine after it warms up at 15,000 miles.

The rear dif sucks but I still love this car.

Alright,, thanks guys. I just wonder if they put the updated version in the solstice, just maybe. Or is the updated version only for the V. Is the part number listed above the number for the bad diff?? Thanks gotta make sure that I do my homework, that's all..

Jay

cts-v ls6
11-09-05, 10:02 PM
The 157 p/n is the new differential. I got mine installed today. Everything fit perfect. The old diff had no metal on the magnetic drain plug at all, but the pinion bearing was going out, and the input shaft on the old diff had lots of slack in it [side to side]. The bad news is that I had a "roaring" sound at 45 mph, and I still have it. The Avon tires I put on 22k miles ago are cupped and making a sound like an off road or mudgrip tire. Oh, well. At least the rear end won't give up out in the boonies and leave me stranded.

DansCTSV
11-09-05, 11:44 PM
The 157 p/n is the new differential. I got mine installed today. Everything fit perfect. The old diff had no metal on the magnetic drain plug at all, but the pinion bearing was going out, and the input shaft on the old diff had lots of slack in it [side to side]. The bad news is that I had a "roaring" sound at 45 mph, and I still have it. The Avon tires I put on 22k miles ago are cupped and making a sound like an off road or mudgrip tire. Oh, well. At least the rear end won't give up out in the boonies and leave me stranded.

Did you get the new rear end under warranty?

thebigjimsho
11-10-05, 04:26 AM
Well, I have preferred the Sky according to pics and after seeing it in person, order it up!! The Sky is such a sweet looking coupe! I'd be guessing that since it isn't due to be released until the Spring of '06, a Mallett Sky would have an '06 rear. Nevermind there may be NO wheelhop in those little buggers and a lighter weight may also prolong the life of the Getrags.

cts-v ls6
11-10-05, 08:28 AM
No, I didn't get the new rear under warranty. I bought it from Fred Bean.

LS2 Solstice
11-10-05, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the info.. Does Fred Bean have a site or something? Where can I check out this info.

Jay

LS2 Solstice
11-10-05, 12:55 PM
Anyhow.. I checked with the pontiac dealership and they gave me this part # for the solstice rear diff.. Part number 10344863. Anyway, I'll check with Fred Bean maybe that dif will work.

jay