: catera owners HELP !!!!!

beatrice
11-04-05, 02:47 AM
Bought my 1999 Catera back in 2003 from a local dealership. It had a limited warrenty left on it when purchesed.This was a dream car, showroom new.Black with leather interior only 53,000 miles on it.Drove like a dream. Then it all started one by one. The REPAIRS from hell. First the car just stopped one day while driving totally shut down had it towed in to cadillac repair shop $700.00 later had the crank shaft position sensor, serpentine belt,air and fuel filter replaced. Next month or so check engine light appears, back to the garage only to have the air check valve and air cut off valve replaced not to mention the electrical diagnosis charge $483.00. a couple months later someone noticed i had no break lights. I took it in and had them replace the stop light switch plus a charge for the vehicle diagnosis $186.00. they also told me the cruise/break switch was defective which i declined to have repaired at that time. Few more months down the road a coolant leak was discovered 4 heater hoses and the heater control valve were replaced for a mere $679.00 labor included. I was told that the radiator was leaking and should be replaced soon. I again delined that one just added some stop leak and all was well with that.
In june 2005 had a smog check done on the car as is required here in Las Vegas and failed because the CHECK ENGINE light was burned out. A charge of $133.00 for replacing the bulb plus labor.
Last but not least on nov 2 2005 the CHECK ENGINE light reappears once again. I took the car in and found out I needed a new fuel pump and the whole fuel injection service performed on my car. I aggreed to have it replaced once again. On the same day I got a call that my car would not start for them at the garage.Found out the alternator had to be replaced, my car was running on the battery. The final charge with labor and other little things that had to be done to get my car back to me and running $1317.00

Supercrew632
11-04-05, 03:04 AM
What help are you looking for? There is no question-------

Supercrew632

beatrice
11-04-05, 12:34 PM
Sorry got carried away. I guess i don't have a question, I really love my catera and just wanted to hear from others that have had to deal with all the "trips to the garage". The problem I face is that i'm upside down on the car. Trade in value offered to me was listed in Kelley Blue Book at $3,875.00.

97cateraowner
11-04-05, 01:17 PM
I don't think this very comforting but often luxury cars can be had cheap once the warranty is expired. Many of us were upside down the day we drove the cars off the lot. The question you have to ask is what is my transportation worth? If you budget lets say $500 a month, get a car that will fit that payment but when it is paid off set that $500 a month in separate account. Draw off that account when you need repairs or use it to buy your next car.

Boris
11-04-05, 10:20 PM
I don't want to sound like an a$$ but how about getting a service manual, some tools and with the help of board members do some of the repairs your self.
It's not that difficult, I promise.

If you can't work on the car than maybe it's time for a new mechanic. One that knows what he's doing and doesn't charge like the light brigade.
Look for one that works on European cars, the Catera is straight forward for anyone who wrenches on anything out of Europe(except the wacky US spec electronics).