: Here it is!! Parade clunking gone... clunking when engaging clutch..gone, part #

kimcheejeegae
11-04-05, 12:34 AM
I took my car in.. complained of the clunking and this is what was replaced:

Part Number: 89058605
Description: Bushing 5.381

The clunking is COMPLETELY GONE... it's soo smooth and quiet. I LOVE IT!

Seattle CTS-V
11-04-05, 01:49 AM
Bellevue? I went there the other day and they seemed way more knowledgable about the V than Brotherton. I may switch afterall.

Ziplicon Tuesday
11-04-05, 09:32 AM
Man, are you for real or what - the bushing change really addressed the clunk issue? How did you get them to change it? I've had mine in twice for it with no improvement.

If I could only get that one thing corrected, I'd be one happy SOB.

kimcheejeegae
11-04-05, 11:52 AM
Man, are you for real or what - the bushing change really addressed the clunk issue? How did you get them to change it? I've had mine in twice for it with no improvement.
If I could only get that one thing corrected, I'd be one happy SOB.

I complained about the clunking... they took it in and replaced the part... the clunking is gone! 2 days later...still no clunking... damn i love it!

kimcheejeegae
11-04-05, 11:53 AM
Bellevue? I went there the other day and they seemed way more knowledgable about the V than Brotherton. I may switch afterall.

I'm going to say it... and you saw it coming

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

Rich Ross at Bellevue Cadillac Service is THE MAN!

Daffy
11-04-05, 12:01 PM
Thank you!

I need to get my car in for a lock not unlocking anyway, this will be great to toss in as well.

D.

trekster
11-04-05, 12:05 PM
I wonder which dealer in So. Cal (los angeles) should I take the v.....so they don't bitch about my mods.

ctsvett
11-04-05, 12:23 PM
I was just at the dealer and looked up that part.. they told me its the same part as I already have on my car (came with my last diff)-I cant confirm this yet BTW.. the part is for 04-06 CTS-V... I, unlikle you, have the clunk... most certainly...

Could they have messed with something else on your car?

Reed

Ziplicon Tuesday
11-04-05, 01:41 PM
Could it be that the part has been changed or upgraded but still has the same part ID number? Man you'd think with all the complaints and that fact that GM confirms the existence of the clunk - they'd correct it.

globed70
11-04-05, 02:52 PM
I don't think I'm alone in my observation... they replaced the bushing when they replaced my differential... then the clunk slowly, but surely, returned. Get back to us a 500 and 1000 miles.

LV_V
11-04-05, 07:02 PM
I have found that the rear cradle bolts come loose on their own every once in a while. Either get under there and tighten them or have the dealer tighten them whenever you take your V in for service.

I guarantee that this is the problem. When they are loose you can hear the rear end "clanking" around when driving slow (5-10mph) over smalls bump or rough roads. After tightening them up to the recommended torque your clanking and most driveline clunks will disappear.

You can thank me later ;)

The Tony Show
11-04-05, 07:23 PM
Yep. I verified this quite some time ago....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=264918#post264918

Luna.
11-04-05, 07:29 PM
Hey Urby...

Would this be sanctimonious? :D

Ziplicon Tuesday
11-04-05, 10:48 PM
LV V, So that would imply the bolts became loose such that you didn't have the clunk at one time? Or, did you always have a clunk and discovered the bolts loose from the factory?

I ask because mine's done it from day one. I mentioned it during the test drive but didn't appreciate how bad it is.

wildwhl
11-04-05, 11:10 PM
globed70 has it right.

The clunking will return. The bushing wears out over time (relatively short time - 2,000 miles for sure).

I paid for the bushing to be installed, was happy to have all the clunking go away, and now just live with it. Besides, it only happens when you transition from on throttle to off throttle - so I just keep it pegged to limit the clunking anyway :burn:

Texan V
11-05-05, 05:33 AM
My car started the clunking really bad around 10K. The bushing was only $9.00 @ GMPD so I changed it myself and it made a world of difference. I noticed that the rubber is very soft so, like previously stated by others, I don't expect it to last very long. I was thinking that if we could get the rubber replaced with a higher durometer elastomer it might go a long way to keeping the clunk at bay. Doesn't Marty have a hook-up with a molder (i.e. the UUC bushings he had made)? Just a thought.

ctsvinman
11-05-05, 10:25 AM
Has anyone ever taken a picture of the Bushing and posted the location here on the board?

Dumb question..... where are the cradle bolts & how many are there :hmm:

VinMan with bad clunk out....

ace996
11-05-05, 11:30 AM
If the bushing is not very complicated, a mold can be made out of clay and then have liquid poly poured in to create a stiffer bushing. Or, perhaps an existing bushing available can be cut with an Exacto knife to fit in the void...just a thought.
-Anyone have a picture of this bushing?

Texan V
11-05-05, 03:32 PM
I found my old thrashed one and had fogot what it looked like. It is soft rubber surounding an aluminum core that is in turn housed in side of a steel sleeve. The steel sleeve is press fit into the differential. The alluminum core may make fabing a new one a bit more difficult. Perhaps a whole new design is in order. So long as the OD fits the diff and the ID will allow the bolt to pass through. My bushing had gotten so chewed up that it fell out leaving the steel sleeve behind. I had a bitch of a time beating that sleave out of the differential w/ an air chisel...

Some pics of the bushing and one of a diff that shows where the bushing resides.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15126&stc=1&d=1131222526
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15127&stc=1&d=1131222494
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15128&stc=1&d=1131222494
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15129&stc=1&d=1131222494