: '95 STS showing SES code: P085

rufrydermg
12-07-03, 05:27 PM
My '95 STS has been experiencing the "service engine soon" light comming on and off...it has now remained on. I checked for codes and got the following;
P085 (current), SO36 (history), SO44 (history). Can anyone tell me what these codes are and do I need to get it to Dealer ASAP?
Many thanks,
Ron

I was able to source the diagnostic codes; P085 was to be under Powertrain (PCM) codes (Engine/Transmission)
P085 reads; Idle Throttle Angle Too High
Can anyone tell what this means and how it is corrected?

Your help is much appreciated
Ron

elwesso
12-07-03, 06:07 PM
P085 -Idle Throttle Angle Too High
S036- Electronic Level Control Compressor Short to Ground/Open
S044 -Lift or Dive Signal Fault

Clear the codes and see what comes up..... :thumbsup:

DaveSmed
12-07-03, 06:21 PM
It sounds like your throttle body could use a good cleaning. They build up an impressive amount of crud over time, and this may be holding the throttle open enough to set the code.

rufrydermg
12-07-03, 07:00 PM
Many thanks for the replies so far...how does one go about clearing the diagnostic codes? Also, how can I clean the throttle body? I am some what mechanically inclined as I have a collection of vintage british sports cars that I have restored and maintain myself. I know this car has fuel injection something I know nothing about!

Your help is greatly appreciated!!
Ron j. Zeraldo

elwesso
12-07-03, 07:05 PM
Cleaning the TB just means you take it off and scrub it down.... Youll also wanna clean inside the plenum also....

If youve restored cars, this will be a sinch!!!!!!