: Pictures of my failed axle/differential

Flyboy
11-03-05, 12:15 PM
Attached are pictures of the new diff (including P/N) and the failure I experienced.....axle broke, taking out the bearing race of the diff.....it was whining and grinding anyway....so time for the new one.....still quiet.

Joey'sVee
11-03-05, 12:22 PM
So the new 06 diff failed? How is it still quiet? :hmm:

lasstss
11-03-05, 12:31 PM
This diff has female splines in the housing. Looking at the pics its the half shafts that have the male spline? It twisted the splines off?
So it was an axle failure, not the diff?

Flyboy
11-03-05, 01:19 PM
Sorry guys......my fault.....no the failed diff in the pictures is the OLD ORIGINAL diff...New one still quiet.....Marty.....the splines weren't twisted.....the axle itself twisted....kinda' like winding up a rubber band if you know what I mean...you could see the twisting of the metal. I have your email address and will send you better pics now.

StealthV
11-03-05, 01:33 PM
Interesting ink stamp on the new assembly - "NOISE TEST-OK". Wish the original one in my V had that... :)

From a service engineering perspective, it appears the more cost effective solution for GM would have been to replace the chewed up bearing race and install a new half-shaft. Technically, your "diff" was ok as exceeding the load capacity of the half-shaft was the likely failure mode. :hmm:

Flyboy
11-03-05, 01:58 PM
Rick, I just sent you the H/Quality pix...

lasstss
11-03-05, 02:57 PM
Sorry guys......my fault.....no the failed diff in the pictures is the OLD ORIGINAL diff...New one still quiet.....Marty.....the splines weren't twisted.....the axle itself twisted....kinda' like winding up a rubber band if you know what I mean...you could see the twisting of the metal. I have your email address and will send you better pics now.

What you now have is definetly the new and improved O6 unit. You can see all of the additional ribbing above. I verified the number and pic with getrag. However, all they did was stiffen the case. Internals are the same.

Katech
11-03-05, 03:15 PM
Wow, you must be making a ton of power! :highfive:

Flyboy
11-03-05, 03:24 PM
Wow, you must be making a ton of power!:worship:
You guys outta' know..............:lildevil:
:histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

CTSVONFIRE
11-03-05, 03:52 PM
Mine broke at the pinion instead of the axle. You did a pretty good job on that axle, though.

CVP33
11-03-05, 08:31 PM
Nicely done! I couldn't have broke it better myself. :lildevil: