: Forth coming comparison!

sgilbert
11-02-05, 11:38 PM
Firstly---I'm not a traitor--just a cheap a**!

Just traded my wife's '03 H2 on a new '06 Jeep Commander Limited (loaded, BTW. Nav, rear DVD, Hemi). I just couldn't take the 8-9 mpg in town, and 11-12 mpg on the highway. Yes, it could pull stumps all day, but it had a terrific appetite!

Anyhoo----I take delivery tomorrow (11/3) and we head out for a 2000 mi round trip the next day.

1st observations: Bigger than my SRX on the outside, front seats, and 3rd seats; but 5" less leg room in the middle seats. Front seats are FAR more comfortable than the SRX. My arse hurts like H**l on a long SRX trip.

Things I'm looking for: Ease of NAV use; MPG; quiteness; solidity; Pulling power (I've got a 7000# boat); snow handling, and whatever springs to mind in the upcoming week or so.

I'll report back as to how it compares to the SRX

Mike_S_30189
11-04-05, 04:42 PM
No offense - but isn't this like comparing "Apples & Grapefruits"?

Larry05
11-04-05, 04:48 PM
I would be interested simply because I drive a company car 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo with HO engine. Main problems I have with it are the suspension (too wiggly a ride) and the cushiony seats. Understand that both are changed with newer years. Car will scoot! Will need to get into another car next summer. A hemi Cherokee is a possibility if ride quality and seating are better.

Kipp
11-05-05, 12:31 AM
The commander is 4 in. taller but 6 in. shorter in length.

Also with no offense, I agree to the apples to oranges comparison. There is nothing sporty about the Commander.

robhersch
11-05-05, 01:16 AM
Be interested in your "MPG" actual for a Jeep with 5.7 (?) liter hemi vs Hummer?? How much better ?? Is your comparison while towing a 7000# boat ?? Did you check out Cad-Escalade-EXT ?? Certainly bigger than SRX - not a Hummer - but very nice; big seats (only 2 rows), deep leg room, limo-like ride, smooth & very quiet; my 6'4" @ 300# friend w/ 6 liter EXT @ 345 hp says ~12+ in town, ~20+ on trip

sgilbert
11-06-05, 10:18 PM
Just returned from NJ (850 mi each way). Apples & Oranges? Maybe, but each are "Mid-sized" 7 passenger, Luxury level (at least my Limited is) High HP (using the Hemi option) SUV's. Never intended to compare the Jeep & H2!!

Initial observations:
*15.9 mpg average highway (this is with an un-broken in engine). I'm sure it will improve somewhat. The Hemi is supposed to "kick-down" to 4 cyl's on the highway, but no indication as to when--by feel OR visually.
*VERY tight steering--very hard to keep perfectly straight. Takes getting used to!
*VERY quiet and smooth
*Front seats are far more comfortable than the SRX. Somewhat cramped middle seat (5" less leg room than SRX) They are 40-20-40, and the 2 40's recline somewhat; same "kids only" rear seat, but they are 50-50 and are standard (not powered)--not $1000 extra!
*NAV is superior than SRX's except it is NOT touch screen or does it have user voice commanding---it has far greater search capabilities, limited programming "on-the-fly. (It's made by Alpine, with MapTech mapping). Newer DVD's "may" contain software updates, and are $150 list.
*Fit and finish are supurb
*Rain sensitive automatic wipers are fantastic!!! (went thru 4-5 rain storms today)
*Auto-dimming brights work great
*Seat belt warning "beeper" is a PAIN-IN-THE-A**! (will have to work on that)
*"Flipper" back window is great. Window or whole hatch.
*Tranny has the +/- feature like the SRX, but it doesn't change the suspension. It DOES have 4-LOW gearing and Tow-haul button to change shift pattern and lock out 5th gear.
*It's got the equivelent of StabiliTrak.
*I got 1 year free Sirius, but would have preferred XM on principal--I HATE Howard Stern! Works great.
*Rear DVD/CD/Sirius with 2 wireless head-phones saved me much aggrevation!

I'm sure there is more, but I'm tired!

OH, the H2 averaged 8 in town, 11.5 or so highway!!!

LUVMYSRX
11-07-05, 09:51 PM
Comparing a Jeep to a Cadillac? At the risk of sounding pompous...No, really? The Jeep is more in line with a Ford Explorer. I recall someone trying to compare a Dodge Magnum to the Cadillac in the past.

caddycruiser
11-07-05, 10:10 PM
Comparing a Jeep to a Cadillac? At the risk of sounding pompous...No, really? The Jeep is more in line with a Ford Explorer. I recall someone trying to compare a Dodge Magnum to the Cadillac in the past.

Regardless, I still think it's a good comparison based on the size and what each of the vehicles is mainly used for. A real body on frame "truck" is no SRX, that's for sure, but the distinct differences he noticed are interesting nonetheless.

Johan Ahlqvist
11-10-05, 07:21 AM
What is next comparsion? Cadillac SRX vs Kia Sorento!!!!

sgilbert
11-10-05, 12:40 PM
And what, exactly, do you feel is NOT worth comparing?

The Commander, as I have it, is a mid-sized, luxury, high powered, AWD, SUV (whether GM cares to call it that or a "crossover" or not).

I do not contemplate swapping cars with my wife (who drives the Commander daily), but if I did, I would not consider myself downgrading at all! Might even think it was an upgrade.

Guess there are still pompous snobs in this world!

john d
11-10-05, 02:02 PM
What is next comparsion? Cadillac SRX vs Kia Sorento!!!!
Johan - Maybe that's a good idea!
sgilbert from the country's heartland with over 400 posts(forum count),
60 years old and a member since March of 04 we can at least have a high level of confidence in his report. Being a long time SRX owner and member of this forum sgilbert knows of the failings of the SRX as well as it's unique superior features.
I for one think a report from sgilbert is more believable than from just about any other source.
By the way, for the dollars, the Sorento and it's warranty may just be a better value.

Kipp
11-10-05, 03:13 PM
Is the commander sporty?

sgilbert
11-10-05, 04:18 PM
Thank You John!
Sporty? Depends on your definition, but off-hand, I'd say no----more like "distinguished"
My sisters first remark was (my Commander is black) "Gangster Car". My first thought was it looks like a mini presidential limo. (It has large vertical grab handles on each side of the rear hatch for the Secret Service agents)

Pictures attached (sorry, I didn't wash it!)

inline6
11-10-05, 05:40 PM
I am sorry, but it looks like something out of the eastern block in the late 80s. It is probably a great vehicle, but it makes a H2 seem attactive. JMHO..

Kipp
11-10-05, 07:00 PM
?????

LUVMYSRX
11-10-05, 08:23 PM
Sgilbert, didn't mean to offend you in any way. I know the post came across as snobby but that was not my intent. And I (as well as many others) in this forum appreciate all the contributions from the long time members. However I find it amusing when trying to compare such different cars. I do not think I am in the minority when stating that anyone that is seriously thinking SRX (and when I say serious I mean checkbook is out and ready to buy), would turn around and pick up a Jeep or Dodge. I think the only vehicles the SRX is comperable to is the BMW and Mercedes categories in the sense of price, features, sporty, status, etc. For example, when looking at the SRX we also looked at the Land Rover LR3. Great car... but when you drive the two cars, there was no comparison. The LR3 is a very capable off roader but not sporty whatsoever and not very fun for everyday driving (which is the majority of what we do). Besides we feared with the LR3, that the kids in the neighborhood would run behind us wanting to buy ice cream. Thanks for the write up anyhow.

sgilbert
11-10-05, 08:41 PM
"Guess there are still pompous snobs in this world!"

LuvMySRX, I was NOT referring to you...but the comment about a Kia Sorento was not called for.

For the last time....I sold the H2....not my SRX!

caddycruiser
11-10-05, 08:48 PM
What strange people in here...just can't get over the fact that someone might feel there are certain things about their new Jeep that are BETTER than the Caddy. It's all personal opinion, but still interesting to see and read, I think.:)

sgilbert
11-10-05, 11:25 PM
If all 19 year olds were 1/2 as perceptive and 1/2 as willing to get along with their fellow human beings as caddycruiser, we'd be in a far happier, better world!

Package
11-11-05, 04:39 PM
People can compare anything they want. We can do a comparo on the SRX with a Focus wagon for all I care as they are both forms of a wagon. It seems to me that it is up to the individual reader/user to decide if the comparison is a valid one for him/her self. However, we are all allowed to have opinions on the comparison/discussion. Having an opinion does not mean we are bashing anyone, at least with me anyways. I just like reading about all cars as I am a car nerd.

I just would not shop a jeep along side an SRX or think about them in the same sentence as one is truck based and one is car based, two very different animals to me. To each his own I guess...:thumbsup:

sgilbert
11-11-05, 08:13 PM
Package, I agree with everything you say...except: "one is truck based and one is car based".

Exactly, which Jeep truck is the Commander based on? (or Grand Cherokee, for that matter). Unless, I've been hibernating for many years, Jeep hasn't made a truck for a loooong time!

miked
11-11-05, 09:57 PM
I'll give my two cents on this debate:

First, I feel that Jeep versus Cadillac is a fair comparison to make (putting to one side the fact that the Caommander is a "truck"and the SRX is based on a "car"). I think that some on this board have a rather inflated view of the brand equity of Cadillac these days. At least here on the West Coast, I think that people equate Cadillac (if they even think of domestic brands other than Jeep at all) to being on the same level as Acura, Infiniti, Volvo, and Saab. Lexus, Mercedes, and BMW (as well as Land Rover and Porsche) occupy a much higher rung on the ladder, and Audi probably occupies a spot in-between these two rungs. Jeep's higher-end offerings, therefore, I believe are commensurate to Cadillacs in brand "snobbery" or equity. Unfortunately, there are just so few current-era Cadillacs on the roads here, with a minor exception of the CTS, that I would further guess that many people don't even consider Cadillac when purchasing a vehicle. When I bought our SRX, my neighbors' first reaction was "why did you even look at a domestic car?" These are folks who basically drive higher-end "luxury" Japanese vehicles if they are "practical" and otherwise drive the higher-end "luxury" German vehicles. American cars, sadly, don't enter into the equation.

This is why I continue to believe that the vast majority of Cadillacs are incredibly overpriced for the brand equity that Cadillac has. The SRX, for instance, should start at $35K, most should be in the $40-45K range, and there's no way you should be able to option out the car to exceed $55K. Our SRX's MSRP is over $60K, for instance, and when we were at the Seattle auto show, the SRX there (over $55K) should have been priced nearer the Lexus RX330 (under $50K). If you want people who haven't considered American cars in a long time, you really can't expect them to pay more than what they would pay for a competitor's vehicle.

Now, in terms of Commander versus SRX -- I will agree that to some extent you are comparing apples with oranges, because the Commander is meant to live up to Jeep's off-roading persona, whereas the SRX is most definitely not an off-roader by any stretch of the imagination. To this end, I think the SRX's closest competitors are the Infiniti smaller SUV (which I can't remember the name of right now), because the Infiniti is also a sporty, mid-sized SUV without any off-roading claims. Cadillac would like to think that the SRX also competes with the Porsche Cayenne, and while I personally find the Cayenne to be an ugly vehicle inside and outside, the Cadillac folks are really deluding themselves in thinking that someone who is saying "Porsche" is also saying "Cadillac" in the same breath. Cadillac's just not there yet.

I say all of this as someone who really likes Cadillac, but who believes that those on this forum who like Cadillac, too, have a tint of rose-colored glasses in viewing what Cadillac "stands for," especially in markets of the US such as on the West Coast. I also say all of this as someone who wishes Cadillac would lower prices so that they could get onto more people's short lists when buying, and thus into more people's garages. Cadillac is currently pricing their cars as if they were a high-end luxury nameplate, but I believe that the lack of care that GM gave to Cadillac until the last five years (or so) has caused it to drop at least one rung, such that pricing should be readjusted accordingly.

Anyway, off my soapbox now.

sgilbert
11-11-05, 10:34 PM
Bravo! If you would have asked, I'd have helped you up on the soap box.

I dearly love my SRX, but in no way do I "feel" I'm driving a luxury car. "Semi-Luxury"? Probably.

Just to be entirely honest with all of you, my SRX replaced a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and when in the early spring of '04, my son wrecked it, I 1st looked at another. But, the '04's looked JUST like the '00's, and the '05's would be too long away to wait. (I'm glad the '05's were too far away, as I do NOT like the way they look--still don't)

Again, I'm glad I purchased my SRX---might get another when I'm ready. The time came to look to dump the '03 H2, and I needed a somewhat less thirsty "stump puller" that had the "newness"/uniqueness I like, and the luxury I've grown to appreciate. Thus, the brand new Commander Limited. If anyother car company had a new vehicle that fit my criteria, I would have looked at it, but none exist!

miked
11-12-05, 01:11 AM
It's funny how that dynamic works of not getting (or getting) another of the same kind of vehicle (but newer model year) because it's the same as the one you have.

At this stage for us, 6+ months into SRX ownership, when the lease is up in 2009, we're actually expecting to get another SRX, because we've been so happy with this one. I actually hope that they do not change the exterior, because it's so unique, but I am looking forward to the power rear lift gate (which I think would be cool), and am intrigued by the possibility of an updated interior (which is supposed to happen in 2007). The only thing that could possibly hold us back from this course of action would be if I got really sick of 14-15 mpg (the Lexus RX400h looks nice in this respect, but isn't as sporty, doesn't have SAT radio, etc.).

By comparison, my wife has said that we will not be getting another Saab 9-3 convertible (new style), because in 2007, when the lease is up on our 2004 9-3 C, they will not have done anything significantly different to it, and she wants to try out a different car.

Package
11-14-05, 11:59 AM
The SRX is based on a car platform (CTS). The Commander (any Jeep for that mattter) is not based on a car platform. Pretty basic in my mind, which is why any jeep product will provide a much more "truck like" ride/handling than the SRX. The jeep frame/suspension is dramnitaclly different than the SRX....

Johan Ahlqvist
11-16-05, 04:29 AM
And what, exactly, do you feel is NOT worth comparing?

The Commander, as I have it, is a mid-sized, luxury, high powered, AWD, SUV (whether GM cares to call it that or a "crossover" or not).

I do not contemplate swapping cars with my wife (who drives the Commander daily), but if I did, I would not consider myself downgrading at all! Might even think it was an upgrade.

Guess there are still pompous snobs in this world!

Maybe I was wrong. Comparing cars is always hard. I hade a 1996 Impala SS in the late 90īs. Much cheeper than the Cadillac, but still a great car. When I buyed my Cadillac I canīt say that it was better comfort or style but all the material and fitt and finnish was better sorted. In the luxury segment you always have to pay much for the badge. "I like Jeep to"

Cullen2020
11-16-05, 02:43 PM
I sell Jeeps and own a srx. Go drive the Jeep Comandeer Limited and you will understand why it would be easy to fall in love with. SMOOTH and LUXURIOUS. As far as handling, no, you cannot compare the two. The srx can take somewhat sharp curves going 65+ and still feel confident. The Jeep can not do this, BUT...it has advanced exclusive quadra-trac four wheel drive for offroading which worked great on the trails. OK SO..it handles great on the road, has luxury trim...handles great offroad. It reminds me of being in a Range Rover. How smooth does a H2 or H3 handle onroad/offroad?

sgilbert
11-16-05, 05:26 PM
Only correction, Cullen, is my Limited with Hemi has the Quadra-Drive.

Quadra-Drive shifts power to ANY wheel, whereas Quadra-Trac shifts power to either axle.

Yes, it is a dream to drive! Both are, actually--just different somewhat.

BTW: The H2 drives like a tank on AND off the road!

louisn
11-17-05, 01:53 PM
Unfortunately, there are just so few current-era Cadillacs on the roads here, with a minor exception of the CTS, that I would further guess that many people don't even consider Cadillac when purchasing a vehicle. .
My understanding is that Cadillac is the only GM division selling well right now and feature for feature with discounts and rebates, Cadillac is obviously priced competitively. You can now get an SRX for more than 10,000 off of sticker with the 7000 rebate.

caddycruiser
11-17-05, 04:19 PM
My understanding is that Cadillac is the only GM division selling well right now and feature for feature with discounts and rebates, Cadillac is obviously priced competitively. You can now get an SRX for more than 10,000 off of sticker with the 7000 rebate.

Good point, kinda. I still wonder why the base V6 RWD model has to START at over $39k, given that most (if not all) competitors start lower and have more features at that point. Too bad it doesn't have a more realistic MSRP range of about $34,995 to, say, $53,995.

louisn
11-17-05, 07:07 PM
Good point, kinda. I still wonder why the base V6 RWD model has to START at over $39k, given that most (if not all) competitors start lower and have more features at that point. Too bad it doesn't have a more realistic MSRP range of about $34,995 to, say, $53,995.
My Northstar V-8 all wheel drive with more features I can ever use, listed for 50,600. Check out what other companies are changing for 320 hp, all wheel drive with the features in the SRX. I bet it's close to 60,000. Plus the others like the BMW and Lexus and Porche have no rear leg room and their rear cargo room with the 2nd row seat being used pales. Also why does the SRX win or come in second in all the comparo's. BTW, I paid 34000 for my SRX with the 10000 rebate and discounts 10 months ago; almost what I paid for a 2002 Highlander Limited in 2002. You can get a Caddy cheap if you pick your spots!!!:lildevil:

caddycruiser
11-18-05, 12:46 AM
My Northstar V-8 all wheel drive with more features I can ever use, listed for 50,600. Check out what other companies are changing for 320 hp, all wheel drive with the features in the SRX. I bet it's close to 60,000. Plus the others like the BMW and Lexus and Porche have no rear leg room and their rear cargo room with the 2nd row seat being used pales. Also why does the SRX win or come in second in all the comparo's. BTW, I paid 34000 for my SRX with the 10000 rebate and discounts 10 months ago; almost what I paid for a 2002 Highlander Limited in 2002. You can get a Caddy cheap if you pick your spots!!!:lildevil:

Like I just said, there shouldn't have to be discounts at the $10k and over mark--that's insane, and shows how overpriced it is in the eyes of real consumers. That's something you won't find at the Lexus or BMW dealer, but it's also not something to be proud of.

The SRX is one awesome ride, but having, such as right now, a $6-7k rebate (and that doesn't even begin to include additional dealer discounts) is beyond the realm of crazy. Lower the MSRP in the first place, not enough to make it look cheap, but enough to get people's attention in a good way (i.e. "wow, look how much you get for the $$$"), and sales would go up quite a bit.

Certainly, had it been introduced in the past couple of months along with GM's "Total Value Promise" mantra, it's almost a guarantee the sticker would have started and ended considerably lower.

miked
11-18-05, 02:45 PM
Exactly. SRX's, and many other Cadillacs, are good values only when you consider the "out the door price." At MSRP, they are absolutely overpriced.