: Buick Question (This Might Need to be Moved)

DopeStar 156
11-02-05, 09:21 PM
Dunno where to post this bitch so sorry if it's in the wrong spot. My uncle wants to adjust the fast idle speed on my grandpa's '84 Buick Regal Limited. I think the carb is a Quadrajet but I'm not sure. Anyway I know it's bad form to post a tech question in the lounge but hell if I know where to put a Buick question without having to create an account on a Buick site. He wants to raise it since the car's high idle will slowly lower and eventually stall. We know the ILC is working because we can hear it ticking when the car stalls. My guess is it's just set too low.

DopeStar 156
11-03-05, 09:57 PM
Bummmmmmmmmmmmmp.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-03-05, 10:04 PM
i know the mixture is set and seal on those ...its been 5 years since i seen a quardajet ...but i think the unit on that buick isnt a quadrajet its internal to GM...thus im pretty sure its the set and seal mix and i definately dont remeber much on those besides that ....its been i think 8 years since i took that class ...been ALOT of diesel training since then

i really dont like messing with the carb , as long as its varnish and gum free i would look to ensure its got good vaccum ....those old 305/307s were pretty much bulletproof .....but i do wonder if the transfer ports are ok ....

Ralph
11-03-05, 10:10 PM
I used to always adjust the Pontiac Varijet and my old mopars. Be sure to count the number of turns you make with the screwdriver so you can always put it back if you want. I think there were 2 screws that you could adjust, one for vacuum and the other speed. there were some other factory "plugged" adjuster screws but like Stoney said they might be sealed. Sometimes putting it on the "scope" doesn't get a good setting so you sometimes have to get the factory plugs drilled out and then you have more room for precise adjustment......on a scope, the mechanic can adjust more accurately for vacuum and speed together as opposed to just turning up the speed.

The vacuum screw might not be sealed, so count the turns and if the idle speed doesn't increase with several turns, put it back to the where it was and try the other screw (if there are 2 on a Quadrajet) because I wouldn't want to mess with the vacuum until you try the idle speed screw.

you could try turning it up a couple turns and listen for a faster idle, then leave it there for a while and make sure it doesn't stall or anything. I had mine turned up enough to idle at 15 kph w/o touching the gas, LOL!

How is the choke thermostat coil??? They do get weak and it effected my idle speed and caused the car to stall because the choke wouldn't open enough and it didn't get enough air, only more fuel. Does it idle fast when initially started, and then get slower idle, as it should? Sometimes you have to "kick them down" or you risk damage to your waterpump. I ended up installing a manual choke for 10 bucks on the Poncho and I couldn't have been happier....

davesdeville
11-04-05, 05:50 AM
Assuming the choke is working properly... the fast idle cam seems like it's working OK just that the standard idle is too low. Which is just a screw. Look in the manual you have for your 89.

You know what I'd do actually... The carb isn't computer controlled is it? If it is post this in the RWD forum and ask the question as if you were talking about your car, if not say it's a 77-80 Fleetwood/Deville....

mccombie_5
11-04-05, 07:45 AM
Dope - If you still have trouble, go to www.buickforums.com and ask there. Sal runs that site too :)

DopeStar 156
11-04-05, 12:51 PM
Dope - If you still have trouble, go to www.buickforums.com and ask there. Sal runs that site too :)
Haha yeah I know. My mom is on Pontiac Forums under the name RedBird 79 because she's trying to track one down. I wanted to avoid joining another site I figured someone on here would know about it. If I had to guess I'd say its a Q-Jet because I didn't think GM used any other kind of carbs in the 80's.

davesdeville
11-05-05, 06:24 AM
Well GM did use others like the dualjet, varijet, etc but it was the only 4 barrel for those years.