: Lingenfelter C5's also have wheelhop

M5eatr
11-02-05, 05:41 PM
I was watching the C5 runs. Very quick. One guy was in the 8's. There are a few where as they take off, the dredded wheel hop is clearly heard and even on the 1-2 shifts.

Enjoy. http://www.lingenfelter.com/LingenfelterMovies.htm#

urbanski
11-02-05, 05:43 PM
so do porsches :)

DrivingAmericanNow
11-02-05, 05:55 PM
On occasion, I get to run with a bunch of guys with Vipers. They've got the wheel hop too, I've seen it.

M5eatr
11-02-05, 05:59 PM
I have to say that my brother's '03 Viper doesn't get any wheel hop. I does get a but sideways but doesn't hop. I guess it may be due to it being a vert.

DrivingAmericanNow
11-02-05, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the one's I've seen hopping are older than your brothers. Maybe Mercedes has figured out a way to get rid of the hop on the newer Vipers.

For that matter, I wonder what Benz has been able to do with the other sibling the SRT8. Do those hop? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

MSJ
11-02-05, 07:21 PM
None of the three C5's I've owned ever wheel hopped, stock or modified. Here is a link to an old dyno day video of my second C5 and you won't hear any hop:

http://thumbs.streetfire.net/7B1FC55D-59B0-41BD-9CA9-3B1BBA2344FD.jpg (http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=7B1FC55D-59B0-41BD-9CA9-3B1BBA2344FD)Click here to see Video (http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=7B1FC55D-59B0-41BD-9CA9-3B1BBA2344FD)

I knew about the issues with the V before I bought mine. It hops on the slightest wheel spin so I don't feel comfortable pushing the car or ever even tracking it, let alone what I used to do to my C5's. It's such a shame as the V is such a great car.

Blacksport350
11-02-05, 09:09 PM
Don't want to be a smart arse but this seems to be an American thing. The V is the first American car that I have owned and the only car that I have owned with wheel hop(still love it to death though).

1 ferrari, 1 Lotus, 4 AMG cars, 4 M cars, many S cars, a Porsche 911t, a few race cars and even a Saab Viggen for a commuter-all with zero wheel hop and most with enough power to BBQ the tireson demand.

Now for my interesting observation of the day, my exotics and M cars all have/had gear whine and "parade clunk" worse than my V and it is considered normal. As a result, it doesn't bother me at all in the V but that damn hop! :mad2:

DrivingAmericanNow
11-02-05, 10:04 PM
1 ferrari, 1 Lotus, 4 AMG cars, 4 M cars, many S cars, a Porsche 911t, a few race cars and even a Saab Viggen for a commuter-all with zero wheel hop and most with enough power to BBQ the tireson demand. :mad2:

Funny you should mention that. My Lotus has rear drive with independent suspension, and plenty of power for tire spin, and it doesn't hop at all. On the rare occasion that I spin the tires, it's perfectly steady.

moldowan
11-02-05, 10:12 PM
my old c5 never hopped and my new '04 viper just spins and spins and spins......................... that is if i use too much throttle-HEHEHE
moldy

Dennisscars
11-02-05, 11:28 PM
Click here to see Video

Note to video people everywhere... exhaust/engine sound and tires burning rubber more desirable than music sound track.
One grumpy old gearhead's opinion.
insert bunny pic here....[/cute bunny w/ x-pipe doing smokie burnout/ ]

ps.. "bad to bone" ok, crap I can't understand not....

Dennisscars
11-02-05, 11:59 PM
Enjoy. http://www.lingenfelter.com/LingenfelterMovies.htm#
Now sound of maggie, gives me goose bumps...:D

Blacksport350
11-03-05, 08:10 AM
Funny you should mention that. My Lotus has rear drive with independent suspension, and plenty of power for tire spin, and it doesn't hop at all. On the rare occasion that I spin the tires, it's perfectly steady.

Now Lotus is not known for great engineering but at least they got ALL of the important parts right! Funny thing though, they did borrow several parts from the GM parts bin!

What Lotus? Wait,, if I remember, it's an '03 V8 Esprit or is there another Lotus owner here?

Mine was an Esprit Sport 350, one of 8 that the Brits so kindly let us have after hording the other 42. Not the fastest car or the prettiest car that I have owned but certainly the fastest around the track. Shouldn't have sold it but you know the car habbit! :hide:

DrivingAmericanNow
11-03-05, 11:44 AM
What Lotus? Wait,, if I remember, it's an '03 V8 Esprit or is there another Lotus owner here?

Not the fastest car or the prettiest car that I have owned but certainly the fastest around the track. :hide:

I'd have to agree with you there. I've never been a big fan of the Stevens design, that's why I searched the planet for the nicest Guigiaro I could find. It's an 87 HCi, red/tan.

Friends of mine with S-bodies have actually had people walk up to them and ask, "is that a Camaro?". :eek: That could never happen with a G-body. It's certainly got nothing approaching the performance of the Sport350 or even the V, but I love the original design.

That 350 is a special car, you must have had a good time with it. What model F-car did you own? I'm toying with the idea of a 456 for the extra two seats.

trukk
11-03-05, 02:26 PM
...I have owned...even a Saab Viggen...

:hmm: isn't that an airlplane :confused:

-Chris

I owned a 79 Saab 900 in high school. I had a real love hate relationship with that car. Longitudinal mounted 4 banger front wheel drive engine. What a weird ass car.

Blacksport350
11-03-05, 03:00 PM
:hmm: isn't that an airlplane :confused:
-Chris
I owned a 79 Saab 900 in high school. I had a real love hate relationship with that car. Longitudinal mounted 4 banger front wheel drive engine. What a weird ass car.

Hey, I wish that I had enough money to by the Saab Viggen jet fighter...talk about torque! :eek:

Blacksport350
11-03-05, 03:46 PM
I'd have to agree with you there. I've never been a big fan of the Stevens design, that's why I searched the planet for the nicest Guigiaro I could find. It's an 87 HCi, red/tan.

Friends of mine with S-bodies have actually had people walk up to them and ask, "is that a Camaro?". :eek: That could never happen with a G-body. It's certainly got nothing approaching the performance of the Sport350 or even the V, but I love the original design.

That 350 is a special car, you must have had a good time with it. What model F-car did you own? I'm toying with the idea of a 456 for the extra two seats.

LOL, that's funny, a Lotus Camaro! The 87 HCi is a pretty machine! There is someone else here with an '03 Esprit.

The Sport 350 was a hoot, I actually sold it to one of the guys responsible for the '03 racing season US Esprit team. He actually converted it into a regional level race car for himself. So 1 was totalled, 2 have been turned into race cars, 1 was trashed but still drviable, that only leaves 4 Sport 350s left in the US. Getting more rare with each passing year! :)

The F car was a '98 355 F1.

DrivingAmericanNow
11-03-05, 04:57 PM
The F car was a '98 355 F1.:worship: :worship: :worship: