: NS block warp?

BodybyFisher
11-02-05, 11:46 AM
Recently over at caddyinfo a new member posted this:

My 93 STS has 165k on it and has suddenly developed a significant oil leak coming from the area above the oil filter. The oil pressure switch has been replaced, but did not improve the situation. The dealer does not think it is the oil fileter adapter. This has been a great car and had low oil consumption (one quart per oil change - 6000 to 7000 miles) before this latest development.

The dealer says it is the joint between the upper and lower crankcase, but they did not seem to be so sure. They said the worst case scenario is that the upper and lower crankcase halves would need to be replaced because they may be warped.

I'm curious if anyone has heard of a warped crankcase?

PS: It has not overheated in the last 75k miles since I bought it.

My response was this:
Personally, I can not imagine that a half block that is BOLTED to another half could warp at all let alone warp enough to leak. I am no engineer but I can NOT imagine that happening. So for someone to make a statement about warping to explain a case half leak assuming there is a case-half leak at all is outrageous. To date I don't think we have ever heard of a warping issue.

What do all of you engineer types out there think about this? Specifically whether you think a two piece block could warp enough to leak or is this a typical case half leak being explained wrong by an mis-informed mechanic?

What do you all think about this? Scotty

chevelle
11-03-05, 12:24 AM
Block warp...???....nonsense.

Have them remove the oil filter adapter and replace the seals between the oil filter adapter and the block. If there is a leak in that area then that is the likely source.

The upper/lower crankcase splitline does not seal pressurized oil so there is rarely a "leak" per se from that joint. Oil will wick from the joint...more a seepage than a leak. It will make a mess and look nasty but rarely leak enough to drip on the ground. A leak big enough to drip is most often pressurized oil and that would most likely be the oil filter adapter seals with that much age and miles on them.

BodybyFisher
11-03-05, 11:21 AM
Thank you chevelle, I was thinking it was nonsense also. I also suggested replacing the oil filter adaptor seals was easy. Here is the link http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7718

Its amazing how much dis-information floats around, Thanks, Scotty