: clunking...what bolts need to be checked.

SBONES
11-02-05, 10:29 AM
alot of you guys helped the clunk just by checking the bolts...which ones do i need to check to help this...is there a detailed pic somewhere showing these bolts...i remember reading 180 and 140 for the torque on these...i just want to make sure im wrenching on the right bolts...thanks scott

Lindsay Cadillac
11-02-05, 10:42 AM
You want to check the cradle mounting bolts. The fronts should be torqued to 195 ft-lbs and the rear are torqued to 141 ft-lbs.

SBONES
11-02-05, 10:51 AM
thanks...is there a pic somewhere you know of...i guess if i mention this they will know what im talking about.

Lindsay Cadillac
11-02-05, 12:19 PM
It's not very good but this is the picture from the service manual...

http://service.gm.com/engif/000/000/708/708181.gif

SBONES
11-02-05, 04:54 PM
thanks a million...and thanks again for the cover it looks soooo good...

Lindsay Cadillac
11-02-05, 05:23 PM
thanks a million...and thanks again for the cover it looks soooo good...Glad it looks good... You need to get some pics posted once you have everything completed...

Ziplicon Tuesday
11-03-05, 10:01 PM
I just checked my cradle bolts and they seemed fine....but this eliminates a variable....it's awsome the kind of info you can get in this forum - James - Thanks for the pic from your manual.

SBONES
11-03-05, 10:46 PM
Hey James, do you know anything about this isolater mount mentioned in one of the post's...said to help with the clunk...thanks scott

rgd
11-04-05, 05:50 AM
alot of you guys helped the clunk just by checking the bolts...which ones do i need to check to help this...is there a detailed pic somewhere showing these bolts...i remember reading 180 and 140 for the torque on these...i just want to make sure im wrenching on the right bolts...thanks scott

There is also a nut that can loosen on the back of the differential. If you get under the car you can't miss it. Mine was so loose you could move the diff about 1/2" up and down.

Bob

Lindsay Cadillac
11-04-05, 07:55 AM
Scott,
That's probably the front differential mount. We have had a couple V's come in that had that mount worn out. It would cause a lot of play in the drivetrain and quite a bit of noise from the rear of the car... Here's a pic from the service manual, the mount I'm referring to is right above the yolk at the front of the differential. Part number for the busing is 89058605...

Ziplicon Tuesday
11-04-05, 09:21 AM
Holy sh**, I spent last night squeezing under the car to check the cradle bolts, now I've got to check this front bushing.....James, is this something I will be able to see without a lift? Ain't much room under there even if I pull up over a cutter and slide under.

You mention it being worn out - would you expect there maybe a need to tighten something as oppossed to wear? (I only have 2K miles).

Lindsay Cadillac
11-04-05, 09:32 AM
Holy sh**, I spent last night squeezing under the car to check the cradle bolts, now I've got to check this front bushing.....James, is this something I will be able to see without a lift? Ain't much room under there even if I pull up over a cutter and slide under.
You mention it being worn out - would you expect there maybe a need to tighten something as oppossed to wear? (I only have 2K miles).It's gonna be tight trying to see this without lifting the car in some way. Haven't seen any come in that the bolt securing the bushing/mount was loose, but anything is possible... But, I wouldn't expect it to be loose or worn out at 2,000 miles...

Ziplicon Tuesday
11-04-05, 09:35 AM
James - please check out the thread saying "here it is, clunking gone". The claim is that a bushing change eliminated the clunk - possibly the same mount you're talking about. Can you determine what the bushing is by the part number listed? Does it make sense to you that it could be the culprit?

SBONES
11-04-05, 09:46 AM
thanks James....you rock!!!:thumbsup:

Lindsay Cadillac
11-04-05, 09:52 AM
James - please check out the thread saying "here it is, clunking gone". The claim is that a bushing change eliminated the clunk - possibly the same mount you're talking about. Can you determine what the bushing is by the part number listed? Does it make sense to you that it could be the culprit?
That's the same bushing that I'm referring to...

Ziplicon Tuesday
11-04-05, 10:23 AM
I second the whole "James rocks" thing....Thanks!

SBONES
11-05-05, 09:22 AM
James, what do you know about ipod hook up...im getting the jl audio cleansweep and it says you can hook an ipod up...how, if possible, can you get the ipod info to come up on the nav screan...can this be done...sorry for all the questions...thanks scott:hmm:

Lindsay Cadillac
11-05-05, 03:14 PM
James, what do you know about ipod hook up...im getting the jl audio cleansweep and it says you can hook an ipod up...how, if possible, can you get the ipod info to come up on the nav screan...can this be done...sorry for all the questions...thanks scott:hmm:
I'm not too familiar with the "cleansweep"... But take a look at this thread for hooking up your ipod http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56300