: Corrupt Miles.

AlBundy
11-01-05, 07:48 PM
I have a 96 ESC I brought with 38K on it. I check the engine, exhaust, oil express records and Carfax report to make sure the miles were correct. Now if someone were to try to turn back the miles on a N*, could they? What kind of defense is built into this engines to prevent tampering? What would happen?

Ranger
11-01-05, 10:04 PM
Anything is possible. Milage is stored in the PCM, so the PCM would have to be reprogrammed. Not sure how that would be done. I suppose with a Tech II maybe. That costs over $3000.

AlBundy
11-01-05, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the reply Ranger. If any of you computer types have any info please share it because I haven't found much info on this subject in this forum. I noticed alot of guys posting their car's miles and I'm sure they believe its correct. The info I have gotten on my car makes me feel confident that its the right amount of mile being 9yrs old with 3yrs worth of miles but you never know.

mcowden
11-01-05, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Ranger. If any of you computer types have any info please share it because I haven't found much info on this subject in this forum. I noticed alot of guys posting their car's miles and I'm sure they believe its correct. The info I have gotten on my car makes me feel confident that its the right amount of mile being 9yrs old with 3yrs worth of miles but you never know.

I think that's a good question, ALBUNDY. I can only tell you that when I had to change out my PCM, they had to send it to some place in Indiana that took the mileage and settings out of the old one and programmed them into the new one. I don't know what kind of documentation was required, if any, and I don't know if the old one was given back. The dealership, which was a big one in a big city, did not have the required equipment to do the programming.

Take it for what it's worth. It's just one experience. I don't think it can be done with a TECH-II, though.

zonie77
11-02-05, 01:33 AM
It cannot be done with a techII. There is a special "computer" to adjust the mileage. You can find it on the web. It's fairly pricey. Carfax would give a history so you'd have an idea if it was turned back.

I have a 4wd Blazer that I barely drive...put less than 20k on it in 6 yrs! But I like a 4wd for hunting. When I got it it had about 70K.