Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Custom grille

8K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  zdeckich 
#1 ·
I wanted something different and I don't like the choices (or the prices) of what's currently out there. Parts started arriving today.

Once the spare factory grille arrives, you'll start to see some progress. I know it looks sketchy right now, but be patient, I think I have a good idea in the works...

See less See more
#4 ·
Make sure you double check what everything is made of if you intend to coat the trim piece too. The E&G uses the lower stock trim piece and if that piece is like the rear chrome piece (which I think both the upper and lower grills are but could be wrong) it's some sort of coated PVC which will melt at powdercoating temps. Can always wrap the trim though.

#6 · (Edited)
I wanted something different and I don't like the choices (or the prices) of what's currently out there. Parts started arriving today.

Once the spare factory grille arrives, you'll start to see some progress. I know it looks sketchy right now, but be patient, I think I have a good idea in the works...
Waiting with interest.

#12 ·
So, the spare grille arrived today. A few tabs that are in need of some epoxy repair, but shouldn't be too bad. Nor should I complain about a $60 grille. Good news for you custom people - the grille is 4 pieces and not too hard to pull apart (if you're not planning on putting it back together again). The upper chrome trim is removeable, the horizontal bars are one piece, the emblem is another, and the black insert is its own section. Even better than I hoped. Its wet from getting a good washing, but here's a close up to give you a better idea.

Here's where I stand now -

I did my best to save all of the tabs that held the insert, as they'll come in handy with the mesh.

Turns out the mesh sheet I bought was a bit too small. That's what I get for trying to eyeball it and be cheap. Time to get another sheet. I went with gloss black the first time, but I'm debating now if I want to go silver or dark gray. I feel like black will do better since the grille itself will be the brushed/chrome look. Here's a better shot of what pattern I'm using (not the cheapy stuff!)

#18 ·
progress on hold for just a couple more days. think i found a solution to those little imperfections in the mesh that were going to annoy me in the end...

also, since the overlays don't completely cover the horizontal bars all the way up (since they are normally partially covered by the factory inserts), my idea should solve that issue too.

crossing fingers

#22 ·
Cant wait to see the finished product!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.