: The best AMERICAN sports car ever made?

SpeedyArizona
10-31-05, 11:44 PM
What is the essential sports car?

I always thought it would be exciting to own a vehicle that can blast the doors off anything else on the road today. So I wondered what everyone thinks the best American sports car ever made.

Ralph
10-31-05, 11:45 PM
Not to be confused with a "Musclecar" right? Corvette? How about a 1967 427 Corvette. Perhaps a Cobra.

terrible one
10-31-05, 11:50 PM
If musclecar, 1970 Charger.

SpeedyArizona
11-01-05, 12:03 AM
I meant a muscle car/ sports car. It took me a while to get my poll up, I wanted to have thee signature sports/ muscle cars that many think of when answering this question.

The reason I ask this is to get an idea of some great "project" cars. Lately I've been talking to a buddy of mine that restores old 1960-1970 era muscle cars for a hobby, and then sells them to buyers. Anyway, I asked him if he would want to do a project with me and one other person, so I've been thinking of some muscle cars we could do. I listed some newer cars though, since I think many are great American sports cars.

Ralph
11-01-05, 12:07 AM
No Olds 442 on the poll!!!???:( (my first pick for a Musclecar) Here's the one Dad bought new...

I voted 1967 GT500, my second choice from that list.

http://img288.imageshack.us/img288/1271/092318sj.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Jesda
11-01-05, 12:20 AM
When I think of an American car, I think of value, style, and a baritone exhaust note. Z06 gets my vote.

ben72227
11-01-05, 12:29 AM
"Sports" Car???

Hey, wheres the Delorean???:lildevil:

Kev
11-01-05, 12:31 AM
Quintessential American sports car would have to be the Corvette. I voted for the Z06 but I would like to have seen the 69 Stingray ZL1 on the list. :rolleyes:

SpeedyArizona
11-01-05, 12:31 AM
No Olds 442 on the poll!!!??? (my first pick for a Musclecar) Here's the one Dad bought new...

Sorry Ralph, but I never think of an Olds as being in the sports car business. I can't wait until I find a good muscle car to modify, but I'm not a millionaire, so I'll need to throw out a few of my choices right away.

If I could have any, I'd take the 'Cuda, but I love that new Ford GT!

SpeedyArizona
11-01-05, 12:33 AM
Hey, wheres the Delorean???

Rotting somewhere in a junkyard, never to return to existence if I can help it :D!

Ralph
11-01-05, 12:33 AM
Sorry Ralph, but I never think of an Olds as being in the sports car business. I can't wait until I find a good muscle car to modify, but I'm not a millionaire, so I'll need to throw out a few of my choices right away.
If I could have any, I'd take the 'Cuda, but I love that new Ford GT!

Like I said, the 442 is a Musclecar, not a sports car. (I wouldn't classify a 442 or GTO as a sports car either) The GTO is as much a musclecar as a 442, and both would not be considered a "sports car"

The beauty of the old divisions (before Olds was brutally killed for no reason) is that each division had a musclecar, and it gave identity to each respectively.......GS, Chevelle SS, GTO, 442.......

molotovman5000
11-01-05, 12:35 AM
i voted Viper

SpeedyArizona
11-01-05, 12:35 AM
Like I said, the 442 is a Musclecar, not a sports car. The GTO is as much a musclecar as a 442, and both would not be considered a "sports car"

I'll give you that, but I personally never think of Oldsmobile as being in the sportscar OR musclecar business, but that's a good example of how much I know about Oldsmobile!

gdwriter
11-01-05, 12:59 AM
As much as I love the original Corvette Sting Ray (and I'd own one if I could), the 2006 Z06 is a flat-out amazing sports car. Not that I'd kick the others out of my garage, either.

danbuc
11-01-05, 01:27 AM
I voted for the '63 Split window 'Vette, but I would have like to have seen the 1969 Boss 429 on their.

fast66
11-01-05, 02:07 AM
JUDGE I love it

DopeStar 156
11-01-05, 02:18 AM
I picked the 'vette. It actually beat the Viper according to Car and Driver's one on one test. And with two less cylinders than the Viper, that's pretty impressive.

Krashed989
11-01-05, 03:44 AM
Rotting somewhere in a junkyard, never to return to existence if I can help it :D!

It may be there a while waiting to rot. They're made completely out of stainless steel. Except for the interior of course. lol

I picked the shelby.

70eldo
11-01-05, 05:54 AM
If musclecar, 1970 Charger.

I wanted to say the same. But since it was not there I voted for the 71 Challenger. For the price you could get one, you had a whole lot of quality power!!! And good looks!

I believe the 70 Charger was also nominated best American sports car at Top Gear?

And why is a muscle car not a sportscar? Than make it 'sporty' car?

The Delorean was an Irish product...:rolleyes:

RobertCTS
11-01-05, 06:29 AM
The Delorean was designed by an American GM exec. It was built in Ireland because of cheap labor.

This could be an excellent thread. Unfortunately the Sports cars, muscle cars and sport sedans got mixed together. America only has about to Sports cars in production..the Corvette and the GT40. The 2nd being much to expensive to even consider. It's tough with the Corvettes..A '67 big block let everyone know what it was as it literally shook the ground. The Z06 is so much more refined and accomplishes the same thing. I'd love a '67 but as a daily driver I'd have to go with the Z06. I have a '72 Corvette. It's a head turner but a dog performance wise.

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/VetteII.jpg

davesdeville
11-01-05, 07:35 AM
Couldn't decide.

SpeedyArizona
11-01-05, 09:28 AM
I wanted to say the same. But since it was not there I voted for the 71 Challenger. For the price you could get one, you had a whole lot of quality power!!! And good looks!

I believe the 70 Charger was also nominated best American sports car at Top Gear?

And why is a muscle car not a sportscar? Than make it 'sporty' car?

I also think the Charger is a great car, but I'd take a Challenger over it anyday.

I can't exactly explain the difference between the sports car and a muscle car. Sports car are lightweight and more refined, Muscle cars are heavier with a large engine stuffed into it. Pontiac, Dodge, and Ford are trying to resurrect the older cars with some newer styling.

Ford has the new Mustang with the old 67-69 fastback styling, not a muscle car, a pony car. Pontiac has the new GTO (which looks like a Grand Am on steroids), they stuffed a large engine in a Grand Am and slapped a GTO badge on the side.

Dodge has the new Charger which is considerably better (in terms of styling) than Pontiac did with the GTO, but I don't care for the 4 doors, they need to make it 2 again. The new Challenger is coming out in 2008 or 2009, and from some early drawings, they did GREAT on it!

PAW 47
11-01-05, 10:18 AM
I'm a big mopar person.. saying that I had to go with 'cuda w/ a 440. When theres really no excuse for displacement!! But, then you could build a nice sweet high rev'in 340 that would make the big block motors look like kitty cats..( guess you can use the other form of cat..lol )

Sandy
11-01-05, 10:30 AM
The poll is void. The real answer is missing !

This car broke the land speed record
This car held the Bonneville Salt Flats records for 20 years
This car was the first car to ever come with a built in Roll Bar
This car was the first to do 0-60 in UNDER 8 seconds
First to have transister ignition system
First with halogin headlamps
First padded dash & seat belts as standard equipment
First with aircraft type lighting
First with a factory installed Supercharger
First to whip Corvette's @$$

Advanced aero-dynamics, still up there with the best, 43 years later.

Not on the list??

Studebarker Avanti

THAT was a sports car !

RobertCTS
11-01-05, 10:36 AM

Not on the list??

Studebarker Avanti

THAT was a sports car !

Sandy I agree with most but the '57 Thunderbird had a supercharger option.
I love the looks of the Avanti but todays Z06 would rips it's a$$.

Kev
11-01-05, 10:53 AM

Advanced aero-dynamics, still up there with the best, 43 years later.

Not on the list??

Studebarker Avanti

THAT was a sports car !Is my memory completely goofed up or did that come with an option for a Mopar 440 'Wedge' power plant?

RobertCTS
11-01-05, 11:29 AM
Is my memory completely goofed up or did that come with an option for a Mopar 440 'Wedge' power plant?

It may have changed but it was a Chevy drive train in the Avantis.

Sandy
11-01-05, 01:14 PM
Robert is correct. I forgot that the 1957 T-Bird did in fact offer a Supercharger option.

No, Kev, no MOPAR parts were ever in any Avanti, the original or the Avanti II.

The Avanti II based upon the Trans Am was a stock Trans Am. That ended in 2003. The latest Avanti II uses a Mustang GT drivetrain, stock. However for 2006 there is a Supercharger option, I believe from Saleen.

http://www.classiccarsofflorida.com/galleria_images/497_p2_f.jpg
http://www.classiccarsofflorida.com/galleria_images/497_p6_f.jpg

RobertCTS
11-01-05, 01:24 PM
Robert is correct. I forgot that the 1957 T-Bird did in fact offer a Supercharger option.

No, Kev, no MOPAR parts were ever in any Avanti, the original or the Avanti II.

The Avanti II based upon the Trans Am was a stock Trans Am. That ended in 2003. The latest Avanti II uses a Mustang GT drivetrain, stock. However for 2006 there is a Supercharger option, I believe from Saleen.

http://www.classiccarsofflorida.com/galleria_images/497_p2_f.jpg
http://www.classiccarsofflorida.com/galleria_images/497_p6_f.jpg

Sandy,
What would that Avanti Convertible retail for? It's hot and very unique.

EcSTSatic
11-01-05, 01:43 PM
No one mentioned the AC Cobra (http://www.xs4all.nl/~luukb/cobra01.jpg) or did I miss it?!

RobertCTS
11-01-05, 02:12 PM
No one mentioned the AC Cobra (http://www.xs4all.nl/~luukb/cobra01.jpg) or did I miss it?!

Terrible street car but awesome performance and style!! Very valuable car today. A lot of look a likes on the road.

FSU_Noles
11-01-05, 02:18 PM
I have a '72 Corvette. It's a head turner but a dog performance wise.

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/VetteII.jpg

gotta love SMOG motors....

RobertCTS
11-01-05, 02:42 PM
gotta love SMOG motors....

Yep, '72 was near the pinacle for low emission motors. Thankfully I don't have one like some of the CA cars with special plumbing and a smog pump.
The '72 is a beautiful cruiser though.

Sandy
11-01-05, 04:25 PM
RobertCTS, they window sticker for $ 63,450 but I know of people who bought them new for $ 43,000. There's a dealer in Phila, Pa with a bright Yellow & the red one I showed a few posts ago. Both have been in stock for 11 months. Find one like that and the discount is HUGE. The Pearl White & Parchment above is in Fla. It's been there 18 months. Can be bought for cheap!

chevyorange
11-01-05, 05:13 PM
Bottom line best? The new Z06 is flat out amazing. The price and performance is staggering.

SpeedyArizona
11-01-05, 05:49 PM
Bottom line best? The new Z06 is flat out amazing. The price and performance is staggering.

Very true, Motor Trend or Automobile named the new Corvette Z06 as the ONLY sports car under $100,000 that can compete with Ferrari's and Porsche's that cost a considerable amount more. I would argue that the price of the new Z06 is a BARGAIN compared to other cars that have the same performance at the $150,000+ level.

The Z06 can easily beat the Viper and 911 which are usually compared to a Z06 Corvette in terms of price.

ShadowLvr400
11-01-05, 09:36 PM

You do know that the DeLorean is kinda back in production right?...

http://www.delorean.com/byod.asp

On sports cars... there are so many... The Vette is a huge nameplate, but the Mustang has been the name pony car for 40 years with Camaro matching it. Obviously can't leave out muscle cars like the 'Cuda, the Charger, the Challaenger, the Cougar, etc... I have to give it to the Vette and Mustang myself... Others may outperform those 2, but nothing else has outlasted either one.

Ralph
11-01-05, 11:05 PM
If I recall they built Deloreans in Northern Ireland because the British government gave them millions in subsidies to deal with the unemployment there in the early 1980s. Guess that didn't work out.

Am I right in thinking that the first American car to have a factory supercharger was Duesenberg in the Thirties? In fact, I think they got close to 400 horsepower out of that V12. Bentley's 8 Litre in the 1920s might have been the first supercharged production car, period (but I'm not totally sure).

RobertCTS
11-02-05, 06:10 AM
If I recall they built Deloreans in Northern Ireland because the British government gave them millions in subsidies to deal with the unemployment there in the early 1980s. Guess that didn't work out.

Am I right in thinking that the first American car to have a factory supercharger was Duesenberg in the Thirties? In fact, I think they got close to 400 horsepower out of that V12. Bentley's 8 Litre in the 1920s might have been the first supercharged production car, period (but I'm not totally sure).

You may be right Ralph but a sports car it's not. I bet that car tracked like a sled.

davesdeville
11-02-05, 07:21 AM
You do know that the DeLorean is kinda back in production right?...
http://www.delorean.com/byod.asp
On sports cars... there are so many... The Vette is a huge nameplate, but the Mustang has been the name pony car for 40 years with Camaro matching it. Obviously can't leave out muscle cars like the 'Cuda, the Charger, the Challaenger, the Cougar, etc... I have to give it to the Vette and Mustang myself... Others may outperform those 2, but nothing else has outlasted either one.

That company should SO have a northstar as an option.

Crozier
11-02-05, 07:11 PM
Hey, Where's the Saleen S7 TT???

That's the Baddest American Car EVER made....

Playdrv4me
11-02-05, 07:17 PM
You know, the Ford GT is not outstanding, but Im surprised Im the only person who voted for it.

SpeedyArizona
11-02-05, 07:36 PM
You know, the Ford GT is not outstanding, but Im surprised Im the only person who voted for it.

I think it's outstanding, Ford did a great job re-creating the GT40 into a modern supercar.

I should've taken out the Trans Am and added the RoadRunner, this was a great muscle car!

CVP33
11-02-05, 08:13 PM
One day we will all realize these are the good ol' days. BTW- Z06 got my vote, unbeatable performance to dollar ratio.

Ralph
11-02-05, 10:40 PM
You may be right Ralph but a sports car it's not. I bet that car tracked like a sled.

Which one?? Delorean or Duesenberg?? I'm still fairly certain that Duesenberg was the FIRST production American car to use a supercharger....