: Worst cars ever????

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-31-05, 08:15 PM
Hey I was wondring what all you Cadillac owners think are the worst cars ever? Me and a very good friend were discussing this at lunch today, and he says the 78-91 Omni/ Horizon. But I said the Yugo is. (for obvious reasons) What do you all think are the worst?

mccombie_5
10-31-05, 08:19 PM
There was a thread kicking around a few months ago about this.

1983 Maserati BiTurbo :)

Everything broke

CVP33
10-31-05, 08:20 PM
Chevette, Citation. Easily da' worst. I could go into detail but frankly why bother. :histeric:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-31-05, 08:22 PM
Chevette, Citation. Easily da' worst. I could go into detail but frankly why bother. :histeric:

my uncle taught my aunt how to drive stick shift on a 82 Chevette diesel!! LOL!!:histeric:

Ralph
10-31-05, 08:25 PM
1991 Chevy Sprint 3 cylinder. My fiance had this car and all the buttons fell off the dash, or went flying when you would press another button to cancel another.......wouldn't go over 100kph, or when it felt like it, and passing a semi on the HW on ice was a complete horrific nightmare!!!!

ben72227
10-31-05, 08:28 PM
Hmm. Well, for domestics probably the Chrysler K-cars or the 1986 Eldorado...

For Foreign, I think one of the French domestics and one of the Italian Domestics (Fiat probably) and of course - KIA:histeric:they need those 10 year warranties for a reason:thumbsup:

Ralph
10-31-05, 08:29 PM
I still see an uncanny number of K-Cars running around, some without any rust at all!!! I sometimes wonder if they were that bad. Just like GM's X-car, they were written off as lemons, but many were good cars like our 1980 Phoenix, but all it takes is a few bad examples to ruin the reputation of an entire line it seems.

mccombie_5
10-31-05, 08:30 PM
one of the Italian Domestics (Fiat probably)

Theyre all owned by FIAT

Which is owned by the italian government

which is why it sucks :p

Jesda
10-31-05, 08:32 PM
In the US:
Citation
Dodge Aries

Overseas:
Anything from Lada, Skoda, or Yugo.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
Was the '80s just a bad time for automobiles in general? Thats what i've heard. Poor build quality, low quality materials, wierd technology etc etc.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
Was the '80s just a bad time for automobiles in general? Thats what i've heard. Poor build quality, low quality materials, wierd technology etc etc.

Night Wolf
10-31-05, 08:36 PM
yeah, the 80's was a bad time for cars....

comone, when talking the WORST ever car.... there were some real junkers.

I don't see how the Chevette was bad, it was an econo car made to get a few people around from place to place.... my mother had 2 over the course of many year, very reliable, great on gas, and it did it's job.

Ralph
10-31-05, 08:39 PM

I think the general downsizing of certain models left a sour taste in peoples mouths. the 1980 X-Car was brought in to replace the Nova and it's sisters as FWD gas savers. They made a lot of them and many had bad primer left over from the 1970's that would cause some of them to have peeling paint, etc. We got a good example that was build on march 7th, 1980, well after the earlier ones from Sept. 1979 that had some issues like rear-brakes locking and putting the car into a severe spin, or wrong sized camshafts causing problems.....

I consider the "Dark Ages" for automobiles anywhere from 1975 (introduction of the cat converter) to around 1984. After 1984 or thereabouts, cars started becomming more powerful again as evidenced by the HP wars with Ford and GM, except the 4.1 L powered Cadillacs which seem to have a negative reputation..

The 1980 Phoenix I drove for 16 trouble-free years......

http://img322.imageshack.us/img322/3716/071109og.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-31-05, 08:40 PM
oooh what was that Ford car from the '70s that would explode when it got rear ended? The Pinto? The Maverick? Thats surely a junker if i've ever heard of one!

mccombie_5
10-31-05, 08:42 PM
The Pinto

I'll let Ralph field this one, he's good at it.

Ralph
10-31-05, 08:43 PM
oooh what was that Ford car from the '70s that would explode when it got rear ended? The Pinto? The Maverick? Thats surely a junker if i've ever heard of one!

Pinto. Funny that the Maverick never was mentioned in the same boat as the Pinto, but it is a sister car to the Pinto so I'm sure it had the same problems??

Ralph
10-31-05, 08:43 PM
The Pinto
I'll let Ralph field this one, he's good at it.

No not really. Just common knowledge I thought....;)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-31-05, 08:45 PM
I consider the "Dark Ages" for automobiles anywhere from 1975 (introduction of the cat converter) to around 1984. After 1984 or thereabouts, cars started becomming more powerful again as evidenced by the HP wars with Ford and GM, except the 4.1 L powered Cadillacs which seem to have a negative reputation..

It's interesting to note how stable Cadillac and Lincoln were in the "dark ages" of automobiles. Their cars were still big, and they still used V8's as standard. (actually, i dont think Lincoln used a V6 until the '88 Continental)

mccombie_5
10-31-05, 08:46 PM
No not really. Just common knowledge I thought....;)

Oh yes, but you seemed to have a good deal of knowledge, i think i picked up stuff to do with the Ford Crown Vic, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town car haveing issues with the tank being behind the rear seats, and many highway troopers having burned to death in their cruisers from being rear ended.

The police models now come with a strengthened plate.

Ralph
10-31-05, 08:47 PM
It's interesting to note how stable Cadillac and Lincoln were in the "dark ages" of automobiles. Their cars were still big, and they still used V8's as standard. (actually, i dont think Lincoln used a V6 until the '88 Continental)

If I was buying a luxury car in the 1980's I probably would have gone with a Lincoln TC. From 1980-'89 they were huge!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-31-05, 08:54 PM
Yup yup, and they always had the good ol' 302! But I would personally buy a Brougham from 80-81, and from 86-89. When they had the HT4100, i dont know which i would have chosen.

Night Wolf
10-31-05, 08:56 PM
if it was '86-'89, it would definitly be a Brougham for me, I can deal with the 307, it was a hell of a car.

I think we have to set areas on what makes a car "bad"

the Pinto, known for blowing up if it got rear ended hard, was actually a good, everyday small-midsize American made car for its day, there were no real problems with it, it was reliable just as any other car of the period was....

I think we are taking cars that we look back at, from a different time and go "haha, what a POS" but when you factor in the era, engine output, gov't emmissions etc.... most of these cars fit right in with the rest...

I persoanlly don't know what was wrong with the Omni, again, a small hatchback with its main intended purpose to get a couple people around as cheap as possible... what was it? the Omni GLHI or something with the turbo that was actually the pocket-rocket before Honda?

I dunno, it just seems strange to pick 1 issue of a car... low power, 1 design flaw etc... to say it is the WORST car ever made... something like the Yugo.. gosh EVERYTHING on that car was flawed there are others too.

I remember the Vega's had problems with the OHC engine, as well as the rear end and some quality control...

Ralph
10-31-05, 08:56 PM
the Ford Crown Vic, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town car haveing issues with the tank being behind the rear seats, and many highway troopers having burned to death in their cruisers from being rear ended.
The police models now come with a strengthened plate.

I think another problem is that any car can catch fire, etc. when hit with that kind of force on the HW. Often I see the RCMP and their Vics that have pulled someone over and they park well out into the main lane of the HW!!! (never parking right behind the pulled over car) Someone driving along, not paying that much attention could ram the Vic because they park them so odd. I think they must be told to park them "out" a bit for more protection from passing cars, but then some police are killed by their own cars crushing them because their parked cars are hit, and thrown into them.

Isn't the story about the Pinto that 75 cents more per car could have saved lives, but Ford knew that these kinds of court cases are tied up for 10 years or so and most people just gave up and dropped it? I thought Ford weighed the cost per death and felt it was worth the risk?? If I recall, 75 cents per Pinto put an extra part at the filler neck where it met the gas tank so that it wouldn't rupture and spill gas??????? I might be wrong, but that's what I seem to recall...

Ralph
10-31-05, 09:00 PM
if it was '86-'89, it would definitly be a Brougham for me, I can deal with the 307, it was a hell of a car.

OMG!! How could Ralphie have forgot about the Brougham!!! Bad Ralphie!!;) I was thinking more about the FWD Caddies I guess...

mccombie_5
10-31-05, 09:00 PM
I think another problem is that any car can catch fire, etc. when hit with that kind of force on the HW. Often I see the RCMP and their Vics that have pulled someone over and they park well out into the main lane of the HW!!! (never parking right behind the pulled over car) Someone driving along, not paying that much attention could ram the Vic because they park them so odd. I think they must be told to park them "out" a bit for more protection from passing cars, but then some police are killed by their own cars crushing them because their parked cars are hit, and thrown into them.
Isn't the story about the Pinto that 75 cents more per car could have saved lives, but Ford knew that these kinds of court cases are tied up for 10 years or so and most people just gave up and dropped it? I thought Ford weighed the cost per death and felt it was worth the risk?? If I recall, 75 cents per Pinto put an extra part at the filler neck where it met the gas tank so that it wouldn't rupture and spill gas??????? I might be wrong, but that's what I seem to recall...

I meant at as little as 30mph in traffic, if it was a heavy vehicle it would go straight trhough the trunk and hit the gas tank.

Also, yes 75 cents could have saved it, but to recall every pinto made, would cost them much more than the value of peoples lives :thumbsup:

ben72227
10-31-05, 09:01 PM
It's interesting to note how stable Cadillac and Lincoln were in the "dark ages" of automobiles. Their cars were still big, and they still used V8's as standard.

Which is why I listed the '86 Eldorado. When you go from this:
http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1980/1985/eldo85b.jpg

To This:
http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1980/1986/eldo86a.jpg

You have a problem. Seeing as how sales decreased by something like 80% when the '86 model came out, Cadillac probably knew then that they would never bring the Eldo back to its iconic status (in the early 80s when they were selling like 75k to 100k eldos per year)...

Ralph
10-31-05, 09:05 PM
I meant at as little as 30mph in traffic, if it was a heavy vehicle it would go straight trhough the trunk and hit the gas tank.
Also, yes 75 cents could have saved it, but to recall every pinto made, would cost them much more than the value of peoples lives :thumbsup:

That's still 70 kph, a pretty good WHACK to any parked car imo, likely enough force to rupture any gas tank? I bet Volvo tested specifically for this. I think Volvo is the only car manufacturer to test the windshield for hitting deer, etc. I've seen pics of Volvos driving into a suspended bag filled with something heavy and the object can't enter the passenger compartment?

DVC-Don
10-31-05, 09:05 PM
1973 Chevy Vega

dbdartman
10-31-05, 09:06 PM
Anyone remember the AMPHICAR? It's a car. It's a boat. It does both! It did neither well!

mccombie_5
10-31-05, 09:09 PM
That's still 70 kph, a pretty good WHACK to any parked car imo, likely enough force to rupture any gas tank? I bet Volvo tested specifically for this. I think Volvo is the only car manufacturer to test the windshield for hitting deer, etc. I've seen pics of Volvos driving into a suspended bag filled with something heavy and the object can't enter the passenger compartment?

I thought 30mph was 50kph?

http://www.performancepartsinc.com/images/8386speedo1.jpg

Agreed it is a whack to a parked car, and yes Volvo did test this, they have been building cars to withstand everyhting since the 1960s.

They do test for deer, i remember when the improved V90 (imporved over the 960 and 730 it was based on) they droveit into a concrete block at high speed, and the block simply shattered.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-31-05, 09:12 PM
For me, the "worst car" ever is based on

-Reliability
-Engineering
-Resale value
-Safety
-Performance

Ralph
10-31-05, 09:13 PM

Oh crap, that's right, 40 mph is 70 kph. I remember having to tape a conversion chart on the dash of my 1970 Plymouth in the 1980's because we brought in the stupid metric system in 1977 thanks to Trudeau.:hide:

Ralph
10-31-05, 09:15 PM

http://www.performancepartsinc.com/images/8386speedo1.jpg

Agreed it is a whack to a parked car, and yes Volvo did test this, they have been building cars to withstand everyhting since the 1960s.

They do test for deer, i remember when the improved V90 (imporved over the 960 and 730 it was based on) they droveit into a concrete block at high speed, and the block simply shattered.

And don't most European cars also test for hitting pedistrians? Pedistrian safety, like shorter hoods, lack of hood ornaments (unless approved) The Volvo salesman told me something about the shorter hood and slope angle of the windshield to help prevent serious injuries to pedistrians at certain speeds.....

I wouldn't want to land on my hood ornament!!

mccombie_5
10-31-05, 09:16 PM
Oh crap, that's right, 40 mph is 70 kph. I remember having to tape a conversion chart on the dash of my 1970 Plymouth in the 1980's because we brought in the stupid metric system in 1977 thanks to Trudeau.:hide:

Yeah, it already happened in Ireland and the rest of Europe... its just a matter of tiem for me.

Even so, hit a car at 50kph? Not that fast? A BIG car like a Viccy or a Marquis....

In a line of traffic, people get rear-ended at 30mph every day. Imagine youre a State Trooper driving in your Viccy in some slow moving traffic, and someone drives a Chevy Blazer or something into the back of you, straight into the gas tank. BANG. Dead State Trooper.

mccombie_5
10-31-05, 09:19 PM
And don't most European cars also test for hitting pedistrians? Pedistrian safety, like shorter hoods, lack of hood ornaments (unless approved) The Volvo salesman told me something about the shorter hood and slope angle of the windshield to help prevent serious injuries to pedistrians at certain speeds.....
I wouldn't want to land on my hood ornament!!

Yup

Its making our cars uglier.

Mercedes Benz are the only cars in Europe that are still allowed to have hood ornaments because the fold flat, also, Rolls Royces do, but they fold into the grille top.

I dont buy a car caring how much it hurts the guy in hitting, im worried about him coming through the windscreen and hitting my family.

UNfortunately Europe does.

Ralph
10-31-05, 09:24 PM
Yeah, it already happened in Ireland and the rest of Europe... its just a matter of tiem for me.
Even so, hit a car at 50kph? Not that fast? A BIG car like a Viccy or a Marquis....
In a line of traffic, people get rear-ended at 30mph every day. Imagine youre a State Trooper driving in your Viccy in some slow moving traffic, and someone drives a Chevy Blazer or something into the back of you, straight into the gas tank. BANG. Dead State Trooper.

Back in 1984 I was driving my 1970 Plymouth Fury 1, and on sheer ice I rear-ended a woman driving a Pontiac Paresiane (sp?) another big car, I was doing about 25-30 mph and her trunk was folded up like a tee-pee! She had studded tires and I didn't. That's why she was able to stop for a pedistrian, even thought she got shyte from the RCMP because it was NOT a crosswalk area! I only had a cracked turn signal lens but she must have had 1800 dollars damage, easily.

Ralph
10-31-05, 09:25 PM

Back in 1984 I was driving my 1970 Plymouth Fury 1, and on sheer ice I rear-ended a woman driving a Pontiac Paresiane (sp?) another big car, I was doing about 25-30 mph and her trunk was folded up like a tee-pee! She had studded tires and I didn't. That's why she was able to stop for a pedistrian, even thought she got shyte from the RCMP because it was NOT a crosswalk area! I only had a cracked turn signal lens but she must have had 1800 dollars damage, easily. So lower speeds can produce some serious damage, and those cars never had crumple zones....but I get your point...

mccombie_5
10-31-05, 09:28 PM
Did the POntiacs have a long shallow trunk, or a shorter deep trunk with a vertical gas tank like the Viccys and lots ofother 70s cars?

Had it been the latter, and her trunk empty.......

Ralph
10-31-05, 09:33 PM
Did the POntiacs have a long shallow trunk, or a shorter deep trunk with a vertical gas tank like the Viccys and lots ofother 70s cars?
Had it been the latter, and her trunk empty.......

I'm not sure if it was shallow or not, but that was a big Pontiac and had a huge trunk. GM usually mounted the spare under the trunk floor and that made for a shallow trunk on certain models. I think the larger models had the spare tire mounted right up behind the rear seatback, up on a little ledge. (like my Grand M, or the Fury) The biggest trunk I've ever had was in my 1991 Grand Marquis. It was so deep you could put a Honda Civic in there.......well ok, but you get my drift..:D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-31-05, 09:33 PM
only a cracked turn signal lens???? Holy Shit!!!

This reminds me of the time when my brother backed my mom's brand new Toyota Highlander into the passenger side mirror on my car. He hit my mirror and didnt stop, so it indented about 2 feet of the Highlander's driver's side rear quarter panel, and all I got was a little bit of paint scratched off my mirror!!! It was hilarious! My big ol' Caddy takes out my mom's brand new invincible Toyota!

And then later that summer, my neighbor's friend backed his Honda Del Sol into my driver's side door, and it put a fairly good crease in the metal, it cost his insurance company $1331 to get it fixed. And his rear bumper was dented in just a little bit.

mccombie_5
10-31-05, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure if it was shallow or not, but that was a big Pontiac and had a huge trunk. GM usually mounted the spare under the trunk floor and that made for a shallow trunk on certain models. I think the larger models had the spare tire mounted right up behind the rear seatback, up on a little ledge. (like my Grand M, or the Fury) The biggest trunk I've ever had was in my 1991 Grand Marquis. It was so deep you could put a Honda Civic in there.......well ok, but you get my drift..:D

Yeah, the gas tank on those, is just above the rear axle.

If youre rear ended in ANDY Crown Vic or Grand Marquis from the 70s onwards, you risk the fire issue, because the gas tank, is behidn where your spare wheel was mounted :)

Ralph
10-31-05, 09:38 PM
only a cracked turn signal lens???? Holy Shit!!!
This reminds me of the time when my brother backed my mom's brand new Toyota Highlander into the passenger side mirror on my car. He hit my mirror and didnt stop, so it indented about 2 feet of the Highlander's driver's side rear quarter panel, and all I got was a little bit of paint scratched off my mirror!!! It was hilarious! My big ol' Caddy takes out my mom's brand new invincible Toyota!
And then later that summer, my neighbor's friend backed his Honda Del Sol into my driver's side door, and it put a fairly good crease in the metal, it cost his insurance company $1331 to get it fixed. And his rear bumper was dented in just a little bit.

LOL. Ya, the front end on the Fury was solid steel.

Ralph
10-31-05, 09:41 PM
The 1970 Plymouth Fury front-end.....

http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/787/70ply01s6px.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

mccombie_5
10-31-05, 09:43 PM
The 1970 Plymouth Fury front-end.....
http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/787/70ply01s6px.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Did your car eat children Ralph?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-31-05, 09:44 PM
LOL. Ya, the front end on the Fury was solid steel.

Was the 77-92 broughams front end solid steel too? I know they have that massive chrome bumper. When you say "front end" do you mean, bumpers, fenders, hood, grille and all that other stuff? Or just the massive front bumper?

Ralph
10-31-05, 09:45 PM
Did your car eat children Ralph?

LOL!!! You just made me laugh so loud I think my neighbours think I'm nuts!!!:suspense:

mccombie_5
10-31-05, 09:48 PM
LOL!!! You just made me laugh so loud I think my neighbours think I'm nuts!!!:suspense:

:thumbsup: ;)

I was doing it the other day. My daughter thought i was mad, she came downstairs to get a coke and came into my office and said "Dad, are you alright? Youre laughing a bit loud "

Ralph
10-31-05, 09:49 PM
Was the 77-92 broughams front end solid steel too? I know they have that massive chrome bumper. When you say "front end" do you mean, bumpers, fenders, hood, grille and all that other stuff? Or just the massive front bumper?

Ya, I just meant the bumper itself in solid steel. Look at all the steel on the 1977 Brougham.....

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1876/77sdv13yv.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

addison_ii
10-31-05, 09:49 PM
If I was buying a luxury car in the 1980's I probably would have gone with a Lincoln TC. From 1980-'89 they were huge!The transmissions suck however, or should I say the TV Bushing sucks.:rant2:

addison_ii
10-31-05, 09:50 PM
Did your car eat children Ralph?:D well, did it??:suspense:

Ralph
10-31-05, 09:54 PM
:D well, did it??:suspense:

Well it might have when I wasn't looking...:suspense: :devil:

mccombie_5
10-31-05, 09:58 PM
Well it might have when I wasn't looking...:suspense: :devil:

You should of gotten something like this for it!

http://www.cityofboston.gov/animalcontrol/images/muzzle.jpg

Im not sure they make them in PLymouth sizr though.

dbdartman
10-31-05, 10:01 PM
:D well, did it??:suspense:

Only if it had the 375HP 440 under the hood. MOST were pretty pedestrian.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-31-05, 10:02 PM
Ya, I just meant the bumper itself in solid steel. Look at all the steel on the 1977 Brougham.....

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1876/77sdv13yv.jpg (http://http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1876/77sdv13yv.jpg)

with all the steel in that one cadillac, you could build 13 Hondas! and not just civics, i mean the ridgelines and pilots!

Ralph
10-31-05, 10:08 PM
Only if it had the 375HP 440 under the hood. MOST were pretty pedestrian.

nope, it just had the 318 rated at 230 hp and it wasn't the "Sport" it was just the "Fury 1" with 0 options. I still loved it for a first car.;)

Night Wolf
10-31-05, 10:28 PM
yeah, I'd hate to think about a pedestrain hitting the '79 DeVille at any rate of speed.... hell the hood ornament would hardly even move....

How did Stoney put it when I was talking about hitting a deer at 110?

the amount of electro-magnetic energy produced by the bumper alone at that speed would vaporize anything before it reaches the grille :) :D

ah, good times :)

It's DaveSmed with the '68 Sedan DeVille that has already totaled out a Civic and a Grand Am.... right?

klebrun
11-01-05, 12:13 AM
AMC Eagle, of which I am the proud owner of. Part of the AMC/Renault family. The engine was a workhorse, but some of the rest of it was horsesh**. It was a mutt of a car with parts from GM and Ford, ect.

It could go thru 13 inches of snow (personal experience), but couldn't defrost your windsheild to save your life. Extensive rusting, cheap interior parts, and goes thru front brake pads like my wife goes thru cash.

Strange thing is, it would break my heart to sell her. I guess it's like owning a pet with a limp or something. Someone's gotta love it...:crying:

Ralph
11-01-05, 01:02 AM
AMC Eagle, of which I am the proud owner of. Part of the AMC/Renault family. The engine was a workhorse, but some of the rest of it was horsesh**. It was a mutt of a car with parts from GM and Ford, ect.
It could go thru 13 inches of snow (personal experience), but couldn't defrost your windsheild to save your life. Extensive rusting, cheap interior parts, and goes thru front brake pads like my wife goes thru cash.
Strange thing is, it would break my heart to sell her. I guess it's like owning a pet with a limp or something. Someone's gotta love it...:crying:

Ahh, so it looks like you got stuck, and had to get the kids to push you out??:shhh: :p

So is it hard to get parts now for AMC?

gdwriter
11-01-05, 01:14 AM
I remember the Vega's had problems with the OHC engine, as well as the rear end and some quality control...
Didn't Vegas start rusting while they were still on the assembly line?

Night Wolf
11-01-05, 02:30 AM
Ah yes the AMC Eagle....

my mother had an '85 or something... a Wagon...

that car was porblem after problem... 4wd never worked, no over drive, trans failed, over heat soo many things... but I kinda liked it, I dunno... I guess I like odd ball cars in a way.

Jesda
11-01-05, 02:58 AM
The 80s were dark for everyone. My parents owned Datsuns. All of them rusted terribly but started every morning and ran without fault. As a kid I remember my dad yelling at me for picking at the rust.

70eldo
11-01-05, 06:49 AM
You can say whatever you want about skoda, yugo or lada. But they keep going man!

What about that new Jianling (JMC) Landwind SUV? After the crash tests (couldn't be worse) it is banned by many countries to even consider it for sale!
http://www.autoweek.nl/images/800/13294.jpg

I heared a lot about the Chevette. Must be the worst US car ever!
http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/AtmCorros/images/Chevette.jpg