: xm reciever location

gredneck
10-31-05, 04:54 PM
I just bought an 05 escalade ext, I am going to change to sirius satelllite radio
I have ordered all the equipment to do this already.

my question is:
where is the xm receiver unit located

thanks

cardio-doc
10-31-05, 08:58 PM
It's is to the right of the glove box. Open the glove box door, then release the stops so it goes all the way down. You'll see it to the right. FYI - you only have to unplug the XM received, you don't have to remove it. It's kind of a PITA to do but typical of me, I had to do that when I changed over to Sirius. I mounted the Sirius receiver in the same spot.

Good luck,
~Doc

gredneck
10-31-05, 09:15 PM
thanks for the info.
that's what I'm going to do(mount the sirius in the same spot)
It makes for a nice clean install

Falkolade
10-31-05, 10:49 PM
I have XM in my cts-v and H3, not in my lade b/c its an 02... I love the XM, I am just wondering though, why would you switch to Sirius?

gredneck
11-01-05, 06:12 AM
I've had sirius for about a year and a half, I really have gotten used to their music programming, after a couple of days on xm I realized that sirius has better programming (my opinion) I really lke channels like octane, hard attack, faction, alt nation, buzzsaw, shade 45 on sirius.
I just can't seem to find stations that come close to those on xm.

other than that I could care less who has stern, nfl, nhl, mlb, football etc.,
I'll watch sports on tv.

I almost forgot to mention that my wife has now become a sirius fan ever since they added a rolling stones channel (it may be temporary)

scottlma
11-01-05, 04:11 PM
Will all of the Sirius controls work through the factory touch-screen/Nav radio like the XM controls do ? Is there a way to install both and toggle between them ?

gredneck
11-02-05, 06:47 AM
I believe most will, I think at this link if you read under the sirius section it will tell you:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundkngm1v3.html

cardio-doc
11-02-05, 07:55 AM
Sirius vs. XM - had Sirius for 2 years in my previous ride and loved it. My 2005 came with XM installed plus it was even free for 3 months, but after 1 month I knew I'd have to make the switch. So I did. BTW, the streams, er- 'channels' I listen to are completely different from Gredneck's and Sirius has better programming there as-well.

I have the Soundgate device noted in the link above with a SIR-KEN1 package (about $100 at Best Buy and includes a Sirius receiver and an antenna). Has an occasional bug or two which is discussed at-length online if you choose to research this item on the internet, but overall I'm satisfied.

Sirius really pissed me off by dropping my favorite channel which was the champion of the whole category (dropped "Remix" from Electronic/Dance). This came about 6 weeks after I'd done the swap from XM to Sirius. They did the same exact thing after I'd done this huge install on my other ride 2 years ago. Fortunately, they revamped other channels in the line-up to pick-up the material, and appear to be doing same again this time. Still, at one time there were 5 straight dance/electronic channels not including the Disco channel. Now there are 3.

~Doc

gredneck
11-02-05, 04:00 PM
area 33 is a great station

gredneck
11-02-05, 04:03 PM
man.... cardio-doc, I dropped the glove box and looked at the xm module
oh man that's going to hurt!

8ball
11-02-05, 09:52 PM
Why is it going to hurt?

gredneck
11-03-05, 05:52 AM
have you seen where it's mounted?
my hands can't fit in there.
by the looks of it, I have 2 options in removing the xm tuner/receiver.
(please keep in mind I want to install the sirius tuner/receiver module in the same spot. why? may you ask, because I'd like a clean install)
1. there seems to be 2 screws holding the bracket that holds the xm tuner/receiver module and they are sandwiched in between the mounting post and the bracket (the screw heads are facing the firewall very tight as far as I'm concered)
or
2. try to remove 3 three (i've seen) maybe 4 bolts securing the tuner/receiver(more tight spots).
needless to say when it's all said and done I'll have a few cuts and scrapes
on my paws like always when I work in/under the dash.