: Would you recommend me to buy a CTS-V???

darth g-f
10-31-05, 10:05 AM
Hi,
I'm new to the CTS-V world. I own a Subaru STi and a Caterham Hayabusa. The Caddy would replace the STi as a daily driver. I am a sales rep and spend a couple hours a day in my car. The STi is really getting on my nerves. It is a very good car, reliable and fast. But the squeaking sounds and overall sound level in the car is pretty much intolerable for a guy like me that spends so much time in its car.

So I thought about the CTS-V. As fast as the STi (probably faster), but I was concerned about a couple things and need your input before buying. I looking for a used model.

What I need to know is:
-how's the car on long drives?
-how's the reliability, if I buy a CTS-V, it'll probably see upwards of 120,000miles?
-how's it to drive in the snow?

I live in Canada and we have lots of snow during winter. Of course I'd drive it with proper winter tires (Hakkapeliita2 with Studs) but I'm curious. As you might guess, the STi is awesome in the snow. It doesn't need to be as good as the STi, but I don't want to get stuck everywhere I go either.

Other cars on my short list include the M3 and S4.

Let me know.
Thanks.

04CTSVFLA
10-31-05, 10:37 AM
honestly if you drive in the snow alot...get the s4 no questions asked. Its a better all around car in cold mountainous regious IMHO. BUT to anser the other 2 questions - reliability and logn drives its great. Especially if you get the 6 year 100,000 mile warranty from gm. The cts-v is fast, and fun, and you wouldnt regret getting it. But when you do get stuck in the snow, youll have a much easier time getting the S4 out and around town.

StealthV
10-31-05, 11:58 AM
For snow, I'd go with the Caddy STS AWD, BMW 5-Series (AWD now in 2006 model year) or the S4.

A 400 hp, manual transmission V with dedicated winter tires is still not a "good" winter machine.

DrivingAmericanNow
10-31-05, 12:00 PM
honestly if you drive in the snow alot...get the s4 no questions asked. Its a better all around car in cold mountainous regious IMHO. BUT to anser the other 2 questions - reliability and logn drives its great. Especially if you get the 6 year 100,000 mile warranty from gm. The cts-v is fast, and fun, and you wouldnt regret getting it. But when you do get stuck in the snow, youll have a much easier time getting the S4 out and around town.

:yeah: ditto

Joey'sVee
10-31-05, 01:34 PM
If you use the car for lots of travel then you may not want the V cuzz it will be in the shop a lot due to blown diffs, possible leaks, qweaks and other things.

Luna.
10-31-05, 02:54 PM
To respond to some of your questions, I would say that the car is great on long drives and I imagine that, with proper care, the car should easily last to 120k+ miles.

The rear-differential could be an issue, but, even if it is, the '06 differential draws closer to being standard replacement, so I wouldn't necessarily make that a huge concern.

As far as driving it in the snow, I can't speak intelligently about that, but that doesn't seem like its strong point.

At the end of the day, it's a terrific car that is loads of fun to drive, despite a few shortcomings.

Florian
10-31-05, 03:07 PM
Darth,

I too am a sales guy and live in Northern climes with plenty of snow. I drive apx 300 miles a day and LOVE the V. Best car Ive had for sales and Ive had STS's, Impala SS, AudiS4 and other 4dr rides. The V gets me from Pt A to Pt B in style, in comfort and with the knowledge that I can beat just about any other ride on the road.

Get the V, you wont be disappointed.

F

darth g-f
10-31-05, 03:35 PM
Darth,

I too am a sales guy and live in Northern climes with plenty of snow. I drive apx 300 miles a day and LOVE the V. Best car Ive had for sales and Ive had STS's, Impala SS, AudiS4 and other 4dr rides. The V gets me from Pt A to Pt B in style, in comfort and with the knowledge that I can beat just about any other ride on the road.

Get the V, you wont be disappointed.

F

How would it compared to the S4??

Blacksport350
10-31-05, 03:37 PM
If you have to go out on calls in ALL conditions, go for the S4 or RS4 if you have the budget. Next on your list would be the M3 and last would be the V. Given these are my opinions, nothing more, nothing less. I am also an M, AMG and S car guy and have driven all in the winter on Bridgestone LM22(make a world of difference).

If you have the option to not drive long distances on the worst winter days, a V with a set of LM22s is a fine year round car.

Florian
10-31-05, 03:46 PM
How would it compared to the S4??

Loved the S4 in snow...but hated the repair bills. I had a GIAC chip in the PCM that added a few HP, but the V destroys the S4 (I had a 2001.5 twin turbo model) in acceleration and overall feel. Get a set of Avon A/S tires for 600 bux and have fun!

F

crowan
10-31-05, 04:08 PM
I would fefinitely give the V excellent marks for comfort on long drives. It is roomier than either the M3 or S4, the seats are great (IMO), and the mileage is very good (if you care about that).

The only issue is how much time do you spend in heavy snow, and do you require all-wheel drive? Many on this forum drive their cars year round in deep snow with the proper tires.

It is a fantastic car that you will hate to get out of at the end of the day.

CR

rand49er
10-31-05, 10:22 PM
Get a set of Avon A/S tires for 600 bux and have fun!

F That's $619 for Avon Tech M550 A/S delivered to your door ... that's what I did, and as far as fuel economy, I get consistently over 26 MPG at 70 MPH and 22-23 MPG overall ... but then I baby the hell out of it :yawn: .

thebigjimsho
10-31-05, 10:23 PM
My V doesn't need to see snow and hasn't yet. But, as for long trips, I couldn't be happier with the comfort after a 10,000 mile, 25 state trip. Many drives through the night.

I've also had a handful of long drives running anywhere from 12 hours to 18 hours. Very comfortable, and that's for a guy running a bit north of 200lbs.

darth g-f
10-31-05, 10:43 PM
I guess I will need to drive it in the snow to really tell.

For the record, we do get lots of snow up here (quebec). But we also have an armada of snow plow and so on. So we don't have that much snow covering the ground. The biggest snow storm will take a day to be taken car of, the small one disappear within a day. They are very efficient at taking the white stuff off the streets.

This winter, I will keep a record of how many days an AWD would have been the absolute ticket. It might help make up my mind.