: The little speaker/air sensor over driver's seat is....

Rolex
10-30-05, 06:19 PM
......making a new noise. It sounds a little like an air compressor or a buzzing noise. When I place my hand over this plastic grate it is obviously quieter. Any opinions on what the cause of the noise is coming from the grate? Mind you this is an 03 Lade, but this noise is new in the past week.

After doing a brief search I found someone who suggested this was the ambient air sensor!? Strangely the noise level seems to vary when I turn the steering wheel. I'm baffled.....help?! :o

Boombotz
10-30-05, 06:35 PM
It is not the Ambient air sensor.

It is the mic for you to talk to onstar.

I don't know why it would be making noise unless there is a short in it.

slk230mb
10-30-05, 06:41 PM
My mic for Onstar is attached the center overhead console where the sunroof controls are. I'm pretty sure that it is the air temp sensor, although it could have changed from 02-03.

Boombotz
10-30-05, 06:43 PM
My mic for Onstar is attached the center overhead console where the sunroof controls are. I'm pretty sure that it is the air temp sensor, although it could have changed from 02-03.
I am checking now. I may be wrong. :thepan:

Boombotz
10-30-05, 06:47 PM
Isn't the Ambient air sensor outside in the front of the truck near radiator.

slk230mb
10-30-05, 07:10 PM
Isn't the Ambient air sensor outside in the front of the truck near radiator.

That's the outside temp sensor. There is one for the cabin inside, somewhere.

danksontl
10-30-05, 08:30 PM
I have a '05 ESV and my dealership told me that the small grill above the driver's head is a temperature sensor. Mine started making a noise similar to radio static the first week after we bought it. We had the dealer replace the sensor (which they admitted to be a common problem). After the repair, the noise was gone. In the last week or so, the problem is back.:mad2: It is annoying to say the least.

Falkolade
10-30-05, 09:09 PM
i thought it was another mic/speaker thingy for onstar... upon looking in my truck the black thing up by the sunroof button is the mic... so i'd guess a tempture sensor also... looks like a speaker grill... but that'd make no sense

Cadillade
10-30-05, 09:25 PM
I think it is the speaker for the stereo. If you notice the AUTO EQ button on your stereo, you can select DRIVER. I think it is just a speaker for this purpose.

ElDawgg 2G
10-31-05, 01:10 AM
Hello...
The noise that you're hearing is coming from the "aspirator."
This is the internal ambient temperature sensor.
It is really a small fan that inducts cabin air to obtain current temperature.
During colder weather, the fan can be louder than usual.
You have 2 choices:
-wait till the cabin temp warms enough for the fan to quiet itself; or
-remove/replace the "aspirator"

Post back your solution.

v10king
10-31-05, 04:23 AM
......making a new noise. It sounds a little like an air compressor or a buzzing noise. When I place my hand over this plastic grate it is obviously quieter. Any opinions on what the cause of the noise is coming from the grate? Mind you this is an 03 Lade, but this noise is new in the past week.

After doing a brief search I found someone who suggested this was the ambient air sensor!? Strangely the noise level seems to vary when I turn the steering wheel. I'm baffled.....help?! :o

It is the ambent air sensor. LOL the Mic is next to the rear ac controles up front. I know it is because I had mine replaced two months ago. Sam exact sounds.

Ryusou
10-31-05, 08:21 AM
It is the ambent air sensor. LOL the Mic is next to the rear ac controles up front. I know it is because I had mine replaced two months ago. Sam exact sounds.

is the mic that black thing on the right side of the rear AC controls? being wondering what was that

Rolex
10-31-05, 02:30 PM
I listened closely yesterday and it distinctly sounds like a fan noise. I believe I'll let the dealership have a listen. It's too annoying not to fix or replace. Thanks for all the help! :D