: engine died in acceleration! wont start.

94sts46
10-30-05, 04:48 PM
I just bought a 94 seville sts 4.6l northstar l37. It had mild ticking comeing from the engine compartment. Just befor I bought it it was driven from Vancouver BC to Mexico and back. Has 216,00 km's the noise began just before he arrived back in Vancouver.
So I buy the car and about 15km's away the engine siezed or at least thats how it seems. has oil and oil pressure and coolant. I see no reason for it to sieze. but something did happen. just not to sure how to trouble shoot the problem.
I have codes "po95" and "pcm?"(is that even a code).
I need serious help. IS there someone located in the Vancouver, British Columbia area that I can talk to that knows the ins and outs of these cars?
It didn't just die either it sounded like snapping metal and grinding then died and rolled to the side of the road.
what are my options what can I do and please ask any questions for clarification on what I am trying to say. I don't even know where to start.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Ranger
10-30-05, 08:28 PM
P095 (E095) .................................................. Engine Stall Detected (like you didn't know that)

PCM? is not a code. That is a prompt asking if you want to enter the PCM mode to clear codes, enter the data mode or perameter mode.

These engines are not known to sieze. In that respect, they are very robust. Check your A/C compressor. Perhaps it siezed and the load stalled the engine. That is much more likely.

94sts46
10-30-05, 11:17 PM
How will I be able to tell if it is the A/C compressor, if thats what it is.

terrible one
10-30-05, 11:42 PM
Loosen the belt and try to turn it, or have a buddy try to crank it and see if it spins freely.

zonie77
10-31-05, 12:01 AM
Give us some info.

When you turn the key to start what happens? any clicks or noises.

Yes, take the serpentine belt off and try again. If still nothing try turning the crank bolt with a wrench (long, like a breaker bar as it takes a lot of torque to turn it over. You could take all the plugs out and try it again. It should turn over much easier without the plugs.

Then you will know if the engine is seized.

94sts46
10-31-05, 12:39 AM
It makes one click when I try to turn it over with the key and nothing moves, so I figure thats just the starter engaging. So I am sure something is seized, hopefully its the AC compressor and not the engine. But if it is the ac compressor then I have to trouble shoot what caused that to seize. Are these known to have any problematic areas to leak refrigerant?

peteski
10-31-05, 01:38 AM
Like zonie said: take off the belt to see if that makes the engine turn over. There is no need to speculate about what if...

Peteski

therodman
10-31-05, 11:36 AM
If you get a hard clunk when you try and start it, like the starter is hitting pretty hard rather than a click, the motor is locked up. From what you've explained it sounds to me like you spun a rod bearing which was getting chewed up for awhile and then under a heavy load one half of the bearing turned inside of the other, end of story!

A damaged rod bearing has more of a heavy click rather than a light metal tap and it increases in it's volume as it gets worse. From the time you first noticed it until the time that it locked up was how long or how miles. Typically a rod bearing when first noticed will go about 100 miles or less, usually much less but there is that rare instance when it will last maybe up to 500 miles. I would say that 25-50 miles is the nominal distance traveled before the rod bearing and crankshaft is finally damaged to the point where the motor locks up.

I would say an a/c compressor is wishful thinking and I hope for you that it is the a/c compressor. Pull the dip stick out and look at the oil in the sun light or artificial light and see if you see metal shavings, like a metal flake paint job. Let a little out of the drain plug and look at the drain plug, the plug should be magnetic and metal shavings would show if the crank is damaged. Rub the oil from the dip stick on your finger and look for metal. Like the one fella said, put a wrench on the crank bolt where the dampner is and see if you can turn it!

Lookig at the oil will tell you a lot, metal showing up is really bad news and if it's clean then you have a chance at much less expensive repair.

Good luck....

zonie77
10-31-05, 03:02 PM
You have to find out if the engine is seized or not. Please try what I suggested.

Ranger
10-31-05, 04:18 PM
I would be very surprised if the engine were siezed. In the 3 or 4 years I have been on this site and caddyinfo, I cannot recall it happening once. Anything is possible, but not probably. Hoping for the best. Follow Zonies advice and let us know what you find.

eldorado1
10-31-05, 04:44 PM
Sounds like your rod bolts let go. If that's the case, this would be the second time I've heard of this happening. For some reason those seem to be a weak link, or like to back out... Although in my case the engine was a 2000.