: iPod kit- Results

ctsvett
10-30-05, 01:55 AM
Guys,
I tested the new iPod kit with XM (allowing you to keep XM) today... It worked... I documented the install so you all will have instructions...

The vendor is telling me that they will have the kit available for $175 toward the end of November. The vendor will not be releasing a non XM version (as I had stated in previous post). If you dont already have XM (regular CTS owners), the kit will work, but you will need to take it to your dealer to have them enable the XM band (they may charge you, they may not). This will work in any CTS that is XM ready (2004 and above I think)

I will post the instructions very soon. I just thought I would let all you guys who wanted to keep the XM know (and all you guys who e-mailed me).

Reed

ctsvett
10-30-05, 01:57 AM
here is a diagram showing how it will work- updated!

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/ipodkit/ipoddiagram1-s.jpg

Reed

Dreamin
10-30-05, 02:55 AM
You da man Reed! :worship:

Let me know when they're ready for a Group Buy...

Skeeter
10-30-05, 03:06 AM
Amazing! Can you tell us anything about the iPod side of the setup? Does it include a dock? A mounting bracket? What does all this look like?

Gotta have one!

Skeeter

ctsvett
10-30-05, 03:41 AM
It does come with a mount... to be honest I have not even taken that out of the bag yet. I will do it tomorrow and take a picture for you. i have everything wired up, now I am going to work on cleaning it up a bit for the "supercool" effect....

Reed

egthareal
10-30-05, 05:47 AM
Hmmmm methinks you need to add an "optical" in hookup to that kit for those of us who gots the new video iPod ;)

--EG

-1-
10-30-05, 01:29 PM
:hmm: Reed, can you reveal the manufactuer and/or vendor?

ctsvett
10-30-05, 04:59 PM
He asked me to wait so as not to get bombarded by everyone asking for a kit now... I hope to be able to by the end of the week... Sorry... I must repect their wishes...

Also, here is the bracket that same with my prototype. I think they will bundle this with the release kit as well. (link is a pdf so it might take a sec to load)

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/ipodkit/ipodbracket.pdf

Reed

51PHFTY
10-30-05, 08:12 PM
Very nice Reed. I am in when they are ready.

Marty

wildwhl
10-30-05, 10:38 PM
I'm ready to be put on a list, or ??? to buy.

Thanks, Reed. Per usual - over the top.

WW

JRoller
10-30-05, 10:44 PM
I'm absolutely in. If you're making a list already, definately put me on. Thanks!

LV_V
10-30-05, 11:16 PM
I'm in. Thanks Reed for getting this kit with the XM too!! Perfect now!

GAGS-V
10-30-05, 11:54 PM
How about for the Nano?

ctsvett
10-31-05, 02:57 AM
not sure on the nano..

The vendor will have a pre-order list up this week sometime.

Reed

99GTX
10-31-05, 01:49 PM
Will that 6th side button always be used to switch between XM and the iPod (as in you'll lose the 6th XM preset when in XM mode)? When switching to the XM band from other bands, will it be in iPod mode or XM mode by default?

Thanks, and nice work!

ctsvett
10-31-05, 01:56 PM
I thought about that and the best I can figure out is that it will still set that preset even though it switches to the ipod.. so you just need to press that button and release before pressing and holding to switch to the ipod input. Even though it switches the input, it will still set the preset.

Reed

egthareal
11-01-05, 04:01 AM
Seriously though, iPOD video is something that should be considered, because if you could hook-up your iPOD video to the infotainment system that would just be insanely awesome.
--EG

haveboost
11-01-05, 12:44 PM
Same here I'm in. Let us know!

lawfive
11-01-05, 12:49 PM
Reed,

Good work as usual, young man. Now if only I had an iPod, I could take advantage of your labors.

My dilemma is thus: got an IPAQ with a 1 GB SD card that I use for contacts, calendar, to-do, notes, books, music (WMA), and occasionally movies (via DVD-to-PocketPC software). Got a couple of flash-based MP3 players. Got a dumb cell phone paid by the company.

Thinking that an iPOD would be nice, especially a Nano (small form factor, but enough storage for my level of music interest). On the other hand, a 4GB SD card can be had for the price of a Nano, giving my IPAQ the same capacity. On the other hand, the video iPOD (though bulkier than the Nano) will no doubt eventually have better capability for showing movies than my IPAQ ever will. On the other hand, if my company ever loosens up their telecommunications policies, I could get an IPAQ-based smart phone and carry one less thing all the time.

On the other hand, I have four fingers and a thumb. F'ing technology!

trekster
11-01-05, 01:21 PM
Add me in to the list. Now I can hook up my 60gig ipod.

ctsvett
11-01-05, 02:29 PM
guys,
Dont run out an buy a nano pod anybody... We have not confirmed the nanopod will work (all regular iPods will work though)...

Reed

Blekk0
11-01-05, 05:10 PM
Put me on the list :)

The list for purchase, and the list of those are curious about the ipod nano

end9472
11-02-05, 03:48 PM
Add me to the purchase list also.

Skeeter
11-02-05, 04:48 PM
Ditto. I need one. With the XM compatibility, it's a no-brainer :)

Skeeter

ctsvett
11-04-05, 01:20 PM
Ok,
Everyone is back from sema and now the website for the vendor is up.

The vendor is xmforcadillacs.com (a site owned by radiosandmore.com-supporting vendor by the way!)

Here is the direct link to order the iPod kit WITH XM... They will ship on Dec 1 according to them.

http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=CADDIPOD-01

Here are the install instructions:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/ipodkit/

It looks much tougher than it actually is, but I pointed out most every little step to help everyone.

If you have any questions, let me know... Of course if those are shipping/ordering concerns, deal with them, but if you have any install questions, let me know I can help out since I have done it.

Reed

51PHFTY
11-04-05, 01:52 PM
Reed, as always, thanks for undertaking the laboring oar. This is one of the cheaper mods. one can do. I just ordered one.

Marty

99GTX
11-04-05, 02:08 PM
Thanks for doing the legwork on this, Reed. I just ordered one as well.

Have you had any issues with introducing new rattles or anything after removing and re-installing the various pieces of the interior?

ctsvett
11-04-05, 03:05 PM
No rattling here...

My sail panles were messed up (there is a caution in the instructions about this)... but no problems so far.

Reed

CTS V6 3.6
11-04-05, 05:08 PM
why wouldnt it work with a nano? they have the same plugin as a normal ipod. ????????????????????

ctsvett
11-04-05, 05:32 PM
It very well may, but it hasnt been tested yet... You wanna be the frist, go ahead...

Reed

dqw1
11-04-05, 07:46 PM
Reed, maybe I'm reading too much into this. But the white connector that plugs into the interface box, where does the other end go?

MWD
11-04-05, 07:55 PM
Thanks Reed!

I'm going to order one right now...:cloud9:

Michael

ctsvett
11-04-05, 08:53 PM
Reed, maybe I'm reading too much into this. But the white connector that plugs into the interface box, where does the other end go?

The "other" end is a pass thru harness that takes the plugs that WOULD plug into the radio and offers a female conncetor.. then a male end that plugs into the radio..

Make sense? its just a pass through that intercepts some of the signals. (and draws power)

Reed

dqw1
11-04-05, 09:52 PM
Got it. Think i'm ready to order and thanks for looking into getting us an IPOD interface. You the man Reed.:highfive:

Blekk0
11-05-05, 05:10 PM
If we dont have XM, do we still have to run a wire to the trunk?

ctsvett
11-05-05, 05:29 PM
No you dont, but you will have to go into the dealer and have them "enable" the XM band with the TECH II (instuctions are in the procedure that you can print and take to them)

Reed

lasstss
11-05-05, 09:33 PM
It very well may, but it hasnt been tested yet... You wanna be the frist, go ahead...

Reed

I stayed away from that one. I can hear my wife now 'whats this white thing banging around in the clothes dryer?":thepan:

Blekk0
11-06-05, 10:43 AM
Good deal, i took my side/rear apart a while ago to run power for my amp, didnt want to have to do it again right away

My friend has an ipod nano, so im going to try it on there first, i'll report if it works

ctsvett
11-06-05, 04:07 PM
I want to make something clear on this kit cause I have received a few questions on this...

When the ipod is plugged into the nav via this kit, you CANNOT use the interface on the iPod... it can only be controlled via the nav system.... Good and bad on that one...

bad: If I wanted to find a song (or my passenger did, since its not safe while I was driving) they CANNOT... you can only control the Ipod via the nav when its plugged in

Good: You can literally hide and NEVER SEE the ipod.... My instructions dont show how/where I routed the wire to the actual ipod cause it wasnt 100 % finished. I will post those today, but here is the text. I put the iPod in my center arnrest UNDERNEATH... I ran the wire from the ashtray area under the lip of the center console to the center console bin area (under the arnrest)... for a while I just had it sitting in the bin, but I wanted to mount it so it didnt rattle around.. So I used the old mount that I had to attach it to the armrest itself (picture to follow).... This way its secure and I can remove it. I could have used the mount that came with the kit, but I already had purchased a specialized mount that was a little more custom for my iPod. However, the one that comes with the kit will be fine for most of you (not sure about the nano).

Bottom line, there is no reason to mount the iPod to the dash at all... You could put it in the glove box (I probably would have if the glove box was better access) cause you dont need to use it at all...

hope this clears up some things. I will snap some pictures today and post later tonight... Keep in mind I have not finished routing the wire 100%.

Reed

thebigjimsho
11-06-05, 10:36 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMM, just got my 60GB video iPod.

LV_V
11-06-05, 10:40 PM
I just bought the 4G 60gb iPod last month. Then they come out with the video version for the same price!?! WTF...

How do you like the video feature? Is it the same connector, so that it will work with this iPod connection kit?

thebigjimsho
11-06-05, 10:43 PM
I just bought the 4G 60gb iPod last month. Then they come out with the video version for the same price!?! WTF...

How do you like the video feature? Is it the same connector, so that it will work with this iPod connection kit?It's been a killer weekend so I only have the WMA files from cds I previously downloaded to my laptop. I haven't even had a chance to connect up to podcast.

SBONES
11-07-05, 10:13 AM
my car is at the stereo shop for 6 weeks now...getting the whole 9 done...savv tv's in the headrest....playstation mounted on rear deck in speaker hole...also getting all jl audio speakers and cleansweep...they are going to hook my ipod up to it...do i need this for it to come up on our display....and will it work with everything that is going on...cant wait to post pics...i saw it last week...they put a liquid crystal water display in the trunk and behind the rear seats...looks so sick...This will be a show car only when im done with it...I couldnt go any longer...had to let the cat out of the bag...Im going out to las vagas next week and they claim it will be done by then...

BeemerKiller
11-08-05, 01:01 PM
Could you add me to the list please? Thanks.

Blekk0
11-08-05, 03:17 PM
There isnt a list anymore, you just order it from http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=CADDIPOD-01

:)

BeemerKiller
11-08-05, 03:18 PM
Thanks.

++Fixx++
11-08-05, 06:41 PM
I just spoke with the Gentleman at RadiosandMore and he said you do not have to have XM Radio at all for this to work. I told him I had an 04 CTS Stock Bose with 6 CD Changer and he said the Wire would work for me however they are back ordered at this time.

++Fixx++

ctsvett
11-08-05, 08:25 PM
As I said above... The only thing is that your radio needs to be XM ready. I dont think (not sure actually) if the 03 CTSs radio are XM ready... Oh, and if you dont have XM you will need to have your XM band enabled by the dealer (they may charge you) with the TECH II..

Reed

BadCad
11-10-05, 12:31 PM
Reed:
How will this kit work with a CTS that does not have the Nav screen but rather, the standard (small) display? XM radio is active, but no Nav display.

ctsvett
11-10-05, 01:53 PM
I have not tested that because I have a V with the Nav screen, however, I think it will work very much the same.. The "station" buttons will control the playlists and the names/ titles will scroll..

You should order one, install it and take pictures for us... Hee Hee..

Reed

Blekk0
11-10-05, 03:17 PM
Im going to order mine today. Too bad they're backordered though =[

I have a 05 cts without nav, and am going to try using the kit with a nano

ctsvett
11-10-05, 03:23 PM
they are not backordered yet, they have not started shipping..

Let us know how it works (send me a picture!)

Reed

BadCad
11-10-05, 05:34 PM
You should order one, install it and take pictures for us... Hee Hee..
I know who you are and where you live.... :lildevil:

.......but I'll try it just to see what happens.

Natedog
11-10-05, 05:59 PM
my car is at the stereo shop for 6 weeks now...getting the whole 9 done...savv tv's in the headrest....playstation mounted on rear deck in speaker hole...also getting all jl audio speakers and cleansweep...they are going to hook my ipod up to it...do i need this for it to come up on our display....and will it work with everything that is going on...cant wait to post pics...i saw it last week...they put a liquid crystal water display in the trunk and behind the rear seats...looks so sick...This will be a show car only when im done with it...I couldnt go any longer...had to let the cat out of the bag...Im going out to las vagas next week and they claim it will be done by then...

dayyyyyyyymn... cant wait to see that ! get pics asap

Blekk0
11-11-05, 06:36 PM
Is there a way to order via paypal?

BadCad
11-11-05, 07:26 PM
OK - ordered mine. We'll see how it goes. Reed, I got your number just in case. :sneaky:

ctsvett
11-11-05, 08:46 PM
I'm happy to answer calls for help... If your close I will help you install it too...

Reed

thebigjimsho
11-19-05, 06:10 PM
Before I order, does anyone know if this charges your iPod as well? I didn't see if this was answered previously or not. I'll most likely get it regardless, but I was wanting to know.

dqw1
11-19-05, 07:04 PM
just wondering if anyone received comfirmation that that have your order and will charge upon shipping. I plan on calling to make sure they have my order. Did not get a comfirmation.

ctsvett
11-19-05, 07:27 PM
yes it charges too...

Reed

lasstss
11-19-05, 07:46 PM
Ordered the kit a couple of weeks back. Havent seen it. Havent been charged either.

dqw1
11-19-05, 07:49 PM
Lass, wish they would confirm orders. I'm calling Monday morning.

lasstss
11-19-05, 09:54 PM
Lass, wish they would confirm orders. I'm calling Monday morning.

Ordered mine on 11/5/... havent heard a peep. I will probably do the same.

Reed, is there a hold up on this?

ctsvett
11-20-05, 01:14 AM
I thought they were going to ship dec 1...

I will find out.

Reed

dqw1
11-20-05, 11:44 AM
normally if you pre-order you'll get email confirmation of your order, order number notifying you that you'll be billed upon shipping. At least that gives you a warm fuzzy so that after 1 December you're not running around looking for your order. I can't wait to get this kit.

BeagleBrains
11-20-05, 02:11 PM
As usual, the V Forum is a resource of information. I have read through this thread completely. I have all of the information, complete. Thanks everybody for sharing. My wife wants an iPod badly. She, being a professional musician, composer, and teacher, finds the iPod to be something she could use in every aspect of her life. This will be a really good Christmas surprise when she gets in her V and it starts playing her compositions.
:highfive:

dqw1
11-20-05, 04:20 PM
You can thank Reed for running this down and doing what GM/Cadillac shouldv'e done in the first place.
You bought your wife a V? And now an Ipod? :cool:

ctsvett
11-20-05, 05:16 PM
Stephan,
Will you marry me? I need another V and another ipod...

HAHA

Reed

Radiosandmore
11-21-05, 08:36 PM
Hello everyone,

The expected ship date for the iPod kit will be December 1, however we may be able to ship all of the pre-orders sooner. I want to appologize for not sending a confirmation e-mail. We usually don't do pre-orders, but with developing this kit, we wanted to get a feel for how many orders we would need. I really want to thank Reed for his help with this kit. If it wasn't for him contacting me, we wouldn't have developed this kit. He is a great asset to your community. If you have any questions about the kit, you can call myself or Ed at Radios and More at (877) 888-2225. The price includes Next Day Air shipping. Any questions, please let us know!

Mike

lasstss
11-21-05, 09:09 PM
Hello everyone,

The expected ship date for the iPod kit will be December 1, however we may be able to ship all of the pre-orders sooner. I want to appologize for not sending a confirmation e-mail. We usually don't do pre-orders, but with developing this kit, we wanted to get a feel for how many orders we would need. I really want to thank Reed for his help with this kit. If it wasn't for him contacting me, we wouldn't have developed this kit. He is a great asset to your community. If you have any questions about the kit, you can call myself or Ed at Radios and More at (877) 888-2225. The price includes Next Day Air shipping. Any questions, please let us know!

Mike

Thanks chief... all is again well with the world!:highfive:

Now If I could just get the stinkin I pod that is on back order...

BadCad
11-21-05, 09:39 PM
Reed:
hmmm........ marry you? :eek: weell, I don't know - can you cook? heh heh heh.
My wife says it's Ok - still gotta ask my honey, though :tongue2:

BadCad
11-21-05, 09:43 PM
:( Ok now I am disappointed - Reed, you talkin' to Stephen P or Stephan B?

ctsvett
11-22-05, 02:08 AM
Stephan P... He is the one buying his wife such nice things..

HAHA

Reed

BadCad
11-22-05, 01:58 PM
an iPod and a V - wonder what I should ask for Christmas?:bouncy:

lasstss
11-23-05, 09:46 PM
Reed, the Harness shipped today so it looks like they are going out.At least the prelims..

gmc1500
11-28-05, 03:27 AM
My kit came in on Friday but since my office was closed UPS is going to drop it off Monday. I am very excited and look forward to installing the unit. I will post pictures and explain if the unit works like a champ or a reject. Since I have a final on Tuesday, I will not be able to install until the weekend, but I will follow up ASAP with pics. I never went to the dark side and bought a FM crapalator, Thanks radios and more for making my dream of being able to install my IPOD straight to the radio in my Caddy a reality.

dqw1
11-28-05, 10:14 AM
I might get mine today and install it this weekend. Got a confirmation email that it shipped last week. I can't wait.

BeagleBrains
11-28-05, 10:27 PM
Stephan P... He is the one buying his wife such nice things..
HAHA
Reed
Thanks for the offer. Same question, though. Can you cook?
I take care of my loved ones very well. Wife, car, etc.

:cloud9: :cloud9:
StephEn P.

51PHFTY
11-28-05, 10:57 PM
Mine came in today so they are on their way.

Marty

wildwhl
11-28-05, 10:59 PM
Mine arrived today.

Gave it the quick once over. Looks like a difficult install until you read the writeup by (Reed?). Should be quite simple.

Unfortunately, it won't fit my new M5 :(

Just kidding. Hope to put it in this weekend :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
12-01-05, 02:51 PM
Pretty frickin' sweet! I bought this kit online late Tuesday night. I wasn't even expecting to see it until next week. Mr. UPS just dropped off my new iPod kit via overnight delivery. For $0 on the shipping, I'm pretty happy. Now, I need to go over the installation instructions because it don't look simple. But it doesn't look impossible either.

Anyone get this thing installed yet?

dqw1
12-01-05, 04:24 PM
Someone on the CTS forum has it installed but seems to have an issue. You have to read his post. But I'm wondering what happens to the red/white wire you cut and splice into the Ipod red wire. Once you connect these two, does the red/white that has power on it remain unterminated? Not clear on that that. Well mine is going in tomorrow.

VELOSE
12-01-05, 05:45 PM
I want to see pics and hear reviews from those of you who are installing these kits. I'm tired of downloading music and burning them onto CD's. :D

dqw1
12-02-05, 07:02 PM
ok, I'm hooked up. The Ipod sounds nice but...
I lost my XM. I'm sure I hooked the antenna back up and put the connector back in the XM box. Any guess's. Some of the channels show my stations but some show CH. 0 or the Ipod tracks XM will not play. I'm going pull the NAV tomorrow morning and check to see if something came loose.

ctsvett
12-02-05, 07:49 PM
is the XM sounds gone or is the reception gone?

You never should have detached the XM antenna.... Try cycling the power on your car 2-3 times...

You did run the wire to the rear of the car and hooked it up properly, right?

if you still have a problem, e-mail me...

Reed

dqw1
12-02-05, 07:53 PM
10 minutes after I posted my last, I found Reed's post on the controls. I have my XM back. I'm a bonehead. Should've printed that page also.
The install was pretty easy. The only problems I had came when trying put the NAV back in, I didn't have the kit cables tucked into the void area on the right side. The rear deck was a bitch. I never got it all the way up but I was able to put in the splice. I ran the Ipod came from Nav staight to the arm rest. Took 90 minutes taking my time.
FOLLOW REED's INSTRUCTIONS!!!
Thanks to Reed and Radios and More.

ctsvett
12-02-05, 07:56 PM
ok.. thanks.. had me worried there for a moment...

send me an e-mail with where I can improve those instructions... I dont work in docmentation....

Reed

JRD
12-03-05, 11:22 PM
Reed:
Ok, we installed the kit today. Audio works great but I have no data. Ran the red wire to back of the car and spliced it into the red/white wire and inserted in the xm box. Any ideas why there would be no data on the screen? I too lost all XM and still donít have it (I donít subscribe but at least had the preview and emergency stations before. Now, nothing...).
Another poster mentioned another page to print about the controls? Couldn't find that one on the faq but I'm probably just missing something basic.
Thanks!

ctsvett
12-04-05, 12:51 AM
What do you mean when you say no data? No data on XM or no data on the ipod?

here is the image for instructions (basically):

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/ipodkit/ipoddiagram1-s.jpg

Cycle the power a few times on the car and make sure an iPod is plugged in when on the iPod input...

E-mail me with anymore questions.. ctsvett@VERIZON.NET

Reed

ctsvett
12-04-05, 12:56 AM
Additional thought, If you have no data on the iPod, are your songs tagged?

Send me an e-mail and I will help you troubleshoot...

Reed

JRD
12-04-05, 01:28 AM
Reed:

Just emailed you. Thanks!

dqw1
12-04-05, 10:28 AM
I think the key after you complete the install is to print Reed's photo on the NAV button controls and make sure when you try to switch to XM you hold the button down. Mine works fine but it takes awhile to get used to switching between your play list. The sound quality alone compared to an FM modulator makes this worth while. FM does not compare.

JRD
12-04-05, 12:18 PM
I think the key after you complete the install is to print Reed's photo on the NAV button controls and make sure when you try to switch to XM you hold the button down. Mine works fine but it takes awhile to get used to switching between your play list. The sound quality alone compared to an FM modulator makes this worth while. FM does not compare.

You're right. The key was the switching between XM and Ipod button. Didn't know about that. Still trying to figure out the playlist buttons though but at least I now have data (song title, artist, etc...) Sounds awesome.

wildwhl
12-04-05, 01:05 PM
Can we all give Reed one giant, warm :grouphug:

What an asset to each of us...thanks man. I'll probably go for my install today as well as door speakers and sound deadener up front.

Thanks to the members here contributing to the .faq, the man that runs it and the knowledge base that has been built - mods like this are nearly fool proof.

Now if only he knew how to do the N2O mode on the PCM :canttalk:

AND NOW FOR THE QUESTION I'M STILL UNCLEAR ON:

The red wire that goes back to the XM module - are we tapping into the red/white wire and leaving the "hot" section disconnected (but wrapped with tape)? Just want to be clear.

WW out to the garage.

wicked v
12-04-05, 01:23 PM
I have an mp3 player but its not an ipod. Does anyone know if other brands will work?

dqw1
12-04-05, 04:03 PM
I had the same question before I started. The red /white is left taped. Becomes a dead wire.

ctsvett
12-04-05, 08:36 PM
This is for the ipod only... The interface was designed for this mp3 player and I dont know of any other player that has the following...

Trust me, I dislike apple as much as the rest of them, but because this player had such a folllowing and vendors were developling kits like this one for this player, I decided to buy it.

Reed

arr0gant
12-15-05, 02:52 PM
Two Questions:
1.) Can you have as many playlist's as you want available to scroll thru on the nav interface?
2.) Is there any delay from when you hit a button on the Nav unit, until it changes/srolls on the Ipod, and...can you control it from the IPOD as well as the Nav unit?

dqw1
12-15-05, 03:10 PM
When the Ipod is active, connected into the Kit, you can't use the Ipod itself. The controls are on the Nav at that point. I tried disconnecting my Ipod and selecting an album, putting the "Hold" on the Ipod to see if that made a difference and it didn't.
Not sure about #1.

ctsvett
12-15-05, 03:44 PM
the playlists question has been asked by many...

here is my solution:

The playlists show up ont he ipod alphabetically... Since they are not listed on the NAV screen you need to know what position it is in (or you can guess)... My soilution is to keep my playlist names and put a letter in front of the name.. I put an A in front of the first playlist, a B in front of the second, etc... This way the first button controls the playlist A, second is playlist b, etc... This is a work around because the setup does not display the playlist names, but its the best way i have found. Also, when you use the iPod out of the car, you can still see the playlist name (after the letter...)

Make sense?

Also, I have found that when I load a playlist when it is NOT connected and then connect it, it will still be playing the same plalist I loaded when it was not connected... So you could load the playlist on the ipod, and then plug it in...

Reed

arr0gant
12-15-05, 05:10 PM
the playlists question has been asked by many...

here is my solution:

The playlists show up ont he ipod alphabetically... Since they are not listed on the NAV screen you need to know what position it is in (or you can guess)... My soilution is to keep my playlist names and put a letter in front of the name.. I put an A in front of the first playlist, a B in front of the second, etc... This way the first button controls the playlist A, second is playlist b, etc... This is a work around because the setup does not display the playlist names, but its the best way i have found. Also, when you use the iPod out of the car, you can still see the playlist name (after the letter...)

Make sense?

Also, I have found that when I load a playlist when it is NOT connected and then connect it, it will still be playing the same plalist I loaded when it was not connected... So you could load the playlist on the ipod, and then plug it in...

Reed

Thank you Reed, you are a huge help!! I understand whatn you are saying about using letters. My question is; if I had 35 playlists on my ipod, would I be able to scroll through all 35, or would I only be able to see the 1st 6 or 10 or 12 or however many the limit is (if there is one)?

ctsvett
12-15-05, 08:18 PM
only 12.... A limitation, I know...

Reed

arr0gant
12-15-05, 11:08 PM
only 12.... A limitation, I know...

Reed

12 isn't bad...I can only get 5 on my Porsche and it works like TOTALL A$$!! I bought it from mp3yourcar.com, it's a product from Dension. It's CRAP I SAY!

GOTTSPD
12-20-05, 05:57 PM
2 questions:

1) any one get this to work with the Nano?

2) is there a way to get to the magical red wire in the back of the car without taking our the rear shelf? Seems like the hardest part of the job...

LV_V
12-23-05, 07:44 PM
Any updates on how this product is working out? I am about to place an order, just wanted to get some forum member's opinions first.

dqw1
12-23-05, 08:01 PM
I like mine. The install was easy, very easy. Sound quality is excellent but if the CD you burned to your Ipod was of a low quality like low bass, etc, you'll hear it but that's not a kit shortcoming. I need to set up a playlist and you should do the same, that may make things easier when looking for your favorite tracks. I still can't get all my albums to play in order, i can only get random play even when i turn it off random play, might have something to do with not having a playlist set up. Last thing, my XM stations when on XM show the Ipod track list only. I need to figure this out.
All in all, I think it's a very good and worthwhile upgrade, an FM modulator does not compare.

LV_V
12-23-05, 09:36 PM
How does the switch between XM and iPod work? Does it auto-sense the iPod signal or what?

LV_V
12-23-05, 09:38 PM
Nevermind, I just saw reed's picture earlier in the thread that shows the button to hold to switch between XM and iPod.

Can you seek/fast-forward through the song? Can you make the playlist names show up instead of just #'s?

dqw1
12-23-05, 11:02 PM
I think that's a Reed question, I haven't found a way to fast foward or reverse yet.

LV_V
12-23-05, 11:54 PM
I also noticed on their website that it is "not compatible with video or photo ipods". WTF? I can't use my 60gb photo iPod!?

ctsvett
12-24-05, 06:27 PM
Not sure on the fast forward.. i will look....

No photo/video ipod due to firmware issue.. This will be fixed in jan I think..

Reed

lasstss
12-24-05, 08:21 PM
Not sure on the fast forward.. i will look....

No photo/video ipod due to firmware issue.. This will be fixed in jan I think..

Reed

Reed, guess I should have waited. I bought the kit and bought the 30 gig video Ipod. I have been holding off installing it as I was working on the ashtray gauges and want to do both at the same time. What firmware gets changed? Do I have to send the kit back? fyi the video screen on the Ipod is very nice. I have V video on it.

ctsvett
12-25-05, 02:23 AM
Marty,
I will check with them on the details... Not sure.. i am meeting up with them at CES in january (anyone else gonna be there?)...

P.S. I am going to send your dvd out on monday or tuesday...

Reed

thebigjimsho
12-25-05, 09:48 PM
I'm sorry, I'm usually pretty good at catching things like this. But I don't remamber the Video iPod being restricted. I remember the Nano was. I even sent in an email to them that I had a 60GB Video iPod and entered that in the order form as well.

So my iPod won't work with this kit? If not, I'm glad I didn't waste my time on this. Hopefully they'll do an exchange for an updated one.

ctsvett
12-26-05, 03:53 AM
I'm sorry, I'm usually pretty good at catching things like this. But I don't remamber the Video iPod being restricted. I remember the Nano was. I even sent in an email to them that I had a 60GB Video iPod and entered that in the order form as well.

So my iPod won't work with this kit? If not, I'm glad I didn't waste my time on this. Hopefully they'll do an exchange for an updated one.

Double check by calling radios and more... Sorry, I do not have a video/photo iPod...I have to go with experience of forum members on this one... Can someone post the "issues"...

Reed

SBONES
12-26-05, 09:20 AM
let me get this right...my 60 gig ipod wont work...i just got the kit for xmas...its sitting on my table right now...do i send it back...

lasstss
12-26-05, 11:22 AM
let me get this right...my 60 gig ipod wont work...i just got the kit for xmas...its sitting on my table right now...do i send it back...

Hmmm, I guess we all made assumptions on this! Lets see what the Mfgr says tomorrow.

thebigjimsho
12-26-05, 12:23 PM
Was the fact that the Video iPod doesn't work with the kit stated on this thread somewhere? And we're sure it doesn't? If so, I just don't know why I wouldn't be told this when I stated I had the Video iPod.

ctsvett
12-26-05, 03:45 PM
Guys, I dont think they knew about this issue... Apparently, apple changed the bit stream of the control codes on the photo/video ipod and this threw a command off (what I was told).... So, when you ordered they didnt know about this issue either...

However, double check this by calling them becasue what I am telling you I have heard second hand (I dont have a photo/video ipod)...

I am sure they will offer you the replacement with the updated/ corrected firmware.

I am an early adopter for lots of technology products and this is what happens sometimes... The best thing you can hope for is where we are at now: a vendor who can flash the firmware and provide you a fix. Most of the time you usually just get screwed when they say "sorry, no luck. your stuck with what you have".. We are NOT in this situation now, however....

Reed

thebigjimsho
12-26-05, 04:58 PM
Guys, I dont think they knew about this issue... Apparently, apple changed the bit stream of the control codes on the photo/video ipod and this threw a command off (what I was told).... So, when you ordered they didnt know about this issue either...

However, double check this by calling them becasue what I am telling you I have heard second hand (I dont have a photo/video ipod)...

I am sure they will offer you the replacement with the updated/ corrected firmware.

I am an early adopter for lots of technology products and this is what happens sometimes... The best thing you can hope for is where we are at now: a vendor who can flash the firmware and provide you a fix. Most of the time you usually just get screwed when they say "sorry, no luck. your stuck with what you have".. We are NOT in this situation now, however....

ReedReed, thank you. That answers quite a bit. I fully understand the tricks and the troubles of the electronic world and I harbor no ill will. I'm sure they'll get it corrected and I have no problems waiting. I'm just glad I didn't have the time to install it yet.

mcarter
12-27-05, 11:07 AM
If your Vendor has a solution for the Nano, I'm in!

lasstss
12-27-05, 06:33 PM
Guys, from the supplier below. My understanding is that the kit WILL function with any I pod. The issue is, access to the songs. It will be tedious untill they update the interface.All who purchased this unit will be entitled to a replacement module with the update firmware. Sounds good to me. Now I will start the installation.

We are 100% committed to support our iPod kits to work with the video and photo iPods. When the interface was developed, video and photo iPods were not yet available. I have just spoke to the engineer about this problem today, and we are planning a new firmware release in mid January. (little white box replacement)I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We are working on the development of this kit alone, from the recommendation of Reed and other CTS owners that wanted an option. When they tested it in October, we didn't see any of these bugs. Another option is to use the kit in "CD Mode", which is described in the kit instructions. With this option, you will not see any of the text on the screen of the radio, but will still be able to control the iPod like a CD changer. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at the below number, and please forward on to everyone that we are committed to make this kit work. Also , It does work with a NANO.

Best regards,

Michael Fabery
United Radio Service

ctsvett
12-27-05, 10:31 PM
Michael is a great guy and radios and more are great to deal with...

Thanks for getting the final word on that Lasstss, I have been swamped...

Ok, onto the next project... Let me know if anyone needs clarification or changes to the install instructions (especially you Marty!).

Reed