: UnbelieVable

NoSlackCadillac
10-29-05, 09:58 PM
From the time I got this car, life behind the wheel has been in constant search of opportunity. Not wanting to get crazy on the streets, I went to local autocross and drag strip events. While I was never more than half throttle at autocross, twisting the V around the cones was a great way to explore some of her capabilities. The strip requires some finess and a gentle start, but she still beats most comers to the other end.

All of that pales to a lapping day. Not too long ago I had her shod with 265/40 PS2s all the way around. I couldn't be happier with the way they and the V performed today. The track was a nice straight (125mph) followed a 180 left hand turn into sweeping essess. A sharp left hand 90 followed an opening left hand 90 brought you back to the opening straight.

Of course the 400 horses kept the V on the inside passing things like BMWs, Mustangs, STis, and Mazdas. That I expected. What impressed me was how easily she wanted to climb the bumpers of everything in the essess.

The track was wet in the morning, but dried out by lunch. The PS2s inspired confidence even in the wet, but as the track dried they kept getting stickier. I could believe it, but every pass I could push them harder and harder. G meter was 1.07 | 1.15 at the end of the day. I have hit higher in autocross, but they were done at 60+mph.

If you haven't found a lapping day, do yourself a favor. I love this car during my commute, at the strip, and when dodging cones, but road racing is clearly her forte.

I have a little bit of video I will find a way to post when I get it into the computer.

ace996
10-29-05, 10:15 PM
Great to hear you're using the V properly. I can't wait to get mine on the track in the Spring.

Please, if you would, explain a little more about the tires. How do the 265s fit in front?You using stock rims? I thought that 255 was the widest we could go in front, but I guess I am wrong. Sorry for the jack, but this is news!

-ace

Dennisscars
10-29-05, 10:35 PM
road racing is clearly her forte.

I have a little bit of video I will find a way to post when I get it into the computer.

Ain't it great!! :woohoo:This car goes like snot :spin:and the Bimmer people go :jawdrop:

video... video.... video....:bouncy:

ctsvett
10-30-05, 01:44 AM
e-mail me and i will explain how you can get me the video.. I can host it on the faq for you.

Reed

NoSlackCadillac
10-30-05, 02:14 AM
Reed, That is uncanny. I just sent you an email right before I read this.

Ace996, I figured this question would come up. I am running stock rims. I did have to roll the front fenders. I am not talking distorting the fenders just the 90 degree lip along the top of the fender well is now closer to a 45 degree angle. I would love to claim that I recognized this right off, but the truth is it never touched until some agressive turning during an autocross. The tire pushed the lip up. Slight scuff on the tires. Nothing more. Now they don't touch at all. Even after the lap day which included some trail braking. As for rubbing on the inside, I will have to get back to you on that one. I plan to pull the wheels when I give her a bath tomorrow. Lap days make a lot of brake dust. I'll check the inside then for signs of rubbing.

I had been concerned that the sidewalls might not be stiff enough. Not an issue. I started a 35. They got up to 41 and I bled them back to 36. As the water dried up and the track heated up, pressures started climbing again. I bled them back to 37 after each session. All evidence of wear remained on the tread, nothing on the sidewall.

Not everyone will want to go 265/40s up front. I wanted the extra grip as I tend to push into the turns. 265/35s might have given me a little more room for the same width, but I wanted to be able to swap them around.

As I said before, I am very happy with my choice of car and tire. I couldn't believe how well the car performed today!

NoSlackCadillac
10-30-05, 01:11 PM
Thanks Reed for helping out.

Video link: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/video/dougatthetrack-1.html