: Specs for stock BOSE system

thebigjimsho
10-29-05, 02:48 PM
I'm trying to find out what I want to do with my stereo. I have, in the past, gone crazy with car audio. This time, I just want a nice upgrade. But, what is the deal with the center channel? Do we have one? And do I want to replace the 4 corners without the center?

I've been drumming around my brain with a JL Audio 500/5 with either some classic a/d/s/ components or some of the newer JL Audio or Boston Acoustic separates. I really took myself out of the game 3 years ago when I finished my Accord's system. All a/d/s/. I know Shane has an Image Dynamics 10" free air and that's probably what I want to go with. Years ago, people started putting horns(similar to tweeters, FYI) and Image Dynamics was front and center in that fireld. Hopefully, ID hasn't lost much in quality. So many excellent companies tanked as the whole industry has. On a side note, I'm looking at a vintage Soundstream 705S on ebay:yup: .

Like my Accord, I want to keep the pass through and still be able to lug my extra rims for track days. Like the Accord, I want to use factory processing, which is great when using the DVD slot for CDs. Maybe I can find a couple old Audison amps to put into the back corners of the trunk. Or I can have a 5 channel amp mounted between the spare tire well and back seat. This is my winter and spring project. Plenty of time which allows me to find what I want and patrol ebay and wantads for some good deals. Buying used can burn you if you're not careful. You can also find hidden treasures.

ssmith100
02-24-06, 06:11 PM
BigJim,

I ordered the new ID10 D4 V.3 today. It should work fine free air and on my JL 500/1. I'll keep you posted. My poor kicker Comp back there is dying right now on the 500/1. For free air though it sounds pretty damn good. I've had many people ask me how many subs do you have in the trunk. I really wanted to do something in the tire well but haven't yet. My idea using the tub would have worked but never got around to finishing it. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Shane

ILoveMyV
02-24-06, 06:22 PM
Hey,

For my system I am doing Focal K2P Component Speakers, along with the JL Audio 450/4 amp and 3 Kicker Solo Baric S12L7 Subwoofers with the Rockford Fosgate T2001BD Amp. I also used the JL Audio Cleansweep Hi-Lo Convertor to run the system. This system is a BEAST, extremely loud and extremely CLEAR! Very highly recommended setup.

Cost...

Focal K2P Components ... $450/Speaker
Kicker Solo Baric S12L7... $135/Subwoofer
JL Audio 450/4 .... $450/Amp
JL Audio 1000/1 ... $550/Amp
Amp Kit, Wiring... $150/Kit
==========================
$3,355 Parts

It's not to expensive and sounds extremely impressive.

ssmith100
02-24-06, 06:35 PM
ILoveMyV,

I don't no how your electrical system is handling that. Mine with the 300/4 and 500/1 gets a little finicky at night. What type of electrical system upgrades did they do????

Shane

ILoveMyV
02-24-06, 06:49 PM
Hey,

Just run a dual battery setup with the dual battery solenoid. Use Optima batteries, and that should elimiate all problems with your lights dimming when the bass hits...etc.

-Ryan

nikon
02-24-06, 07:10 PM
BigJim,

I ordered the new ID10 D4 V.3 today. It should work fine free air and on my JL 500/1. I'll keep you posted. My poor kicker Comp back there is dying right now on the 500/1. For free air though it sounds pretty damn good. I've had many people ask me how many subs do you have in the trunk. I really wanted to do something in the tire well but haven't yet. My idea using the tub would have worked but never got around to finishing it. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Shane

your running a 500/1 to that sub??? I was lookin at the specs for it recommended is only 400rms, and Im pretty sure thats in an enclosure, do you have the jl turned down like all the way? or what, Ive already got the 500/1 but didnt think I could use it with a free air sub, I thought it'd be way too much power....can you give me more detail on how exactly you hooked it up and maybee some photos...would really appreciate it.

edit: ah just realized you just ordered it....ok well ya keep us updated, really wanna see if the amp blows the speaker or not.

ssmith100
02-24-06, 08:02 PM
Nikon,

I've actually got it playing a Kicker Comp 10 right now in free air. The kicker is only rated at 150 rms. It has been like a timex. "Takes a licking, keeps on ticking" My philosophy on power is that you can never have to much. I've got the amp turned down but the Kicker is actually surviving it pretty well. I would have used the 250/1 but it doesn't have the knob control for the bass. Mounted mine in the ashtray. I've looked at every woofer (specs) made that will work free air and the Image Dynamic looks like the best choice. I had an Alumnapro H2O ordered for months but it never came in. I believe it would have worked very well also. If anyone is looking for a JL 10W6v2 I have one new in a box that has never been opened. Waiting for the Rockford Fosgate 3sixty to come out. That should really clean everything up.

Shane

thebigjimsho
02-24-06, 09:16 PM
Shane, you're awesome. You're doing all the legwork. I look forward to getting "the right" components in the V. And ILuvMyV, good choice on the Focals. Utopias would be awfully nice.:bouncy:

ssmith100
02-24-06, 11:23 PM
Bigjim,

I had always been a big Focal fan. Used the Polykevlar's for years. Installed a set of the Utopias in the door of my Lexus, and well, for the money just wasn't that impressed. I think the biggest negative about the Focals is volume. It didn't matter if I had 75 watts or 150 watts going to the seperates I couldn't get the volume out of it I wanted. There are a lot of quality speakers out there now for not alo t of money (250-350.00) I would really like to hear a set of CDT's. They are supposed to be nice. My JL's sound good to me and give me the volume I'm looking for. I may upgrade to the ZR's in the front doors later, but they have a pretty good price point alos. Don't wait for me, I need to get some tips from you other guys:alchi:

Shane

nikon
03-02-06, 09:38 PM
Nikon,

I've actually got it playing a Kicker Comp 10 right now in free air. The kicker is only rated at 150 rms. It has been like a timex. "Takes a licking, keeps on ticking" My philosophy on power is that you can never have to much. I've got the amp turned down but the Kicker is actually surviving it pretty well. I would have used the 250/1 but it doesn't have the knob control for the bass. Mounted mine in the ashtray. I've looked at every woofer (specs) made that will work free air and the Image Dynamic looks like the best choice. I had an Alumnapro H2O ordered for months but it never came in. I believe it would have worked very well also. If anyone is looking for a JL 10W6v2 I have one new in a box that has never been opened. Waiting for the Rockford Fosgate 3sixty to come out. That should really clean everything up.

Shane

hey, just wondering if you ever got the new sub in? and btw how'd you get signal to the amp? factory sub harness? or rear door speakers? and if ya got it in, how does it sound???? sorry I'd PM you but still got a couple posts to go.

LV_V
03-03-06, 05:53 AM
Go with Image Dynamics. Just got my CXS64 component install done a few weeks back and finished the temporary install of my IDMAX12 today. Sounds insanely good. About 6 months ago I had the IDMAX12 free-air on the rear deck but it was rattling too much. Sounded great, but way too much rattle. Now its in a 2.4 cubic foot ported box to 29Hz and sounds incredible. Running the front components off a US Amps 400X (100 watts RMS x 2) and the sub off a US Amps 600X (600 watts RMS x 1). Good luck with the install; if you have any questions at all feel free to PM me.

SBONES
03-03-06, 10:16 AM
I love mine...sound is so good...i went all jl audio. I got 2 sets of the the zr component speakers...$900 a set...i never heard anything like this..

nikon
03-03-06, 01:24 PM
I love mine...sound is so good...i went all jl audio. I got 2 sets of the the zr component speakers...$900 a set...i never heard anything like this..

man, thats a little too much for me, looks good though, Im just looking for a little more bass. But I guess yours works too :worship:

ssmith100
03-03-06, 05:26 PM
*****Update******

My ID max sub shipped and should be here on the 8th. I'll get pictures up after I put it in. I think the Kicker Comp is on it's last leg. Had a few:alchi: the other night and it took a pretty good licking with the 500/1.

Shane

Imperator
03-04-06, 08:26 PM
Shane,

Let us know how that ID10 works out for you. I've been a fan of Image Dynamics subs for years, but never thought they'd work well in an infinite-baffle application.

I managed to find one retailer who still has the old JL Audio 10IB4 (http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2752&CFID=161939&CFTOKEN=ce51b3e9938924e7-AC32D8AB-1422-7C6E-506373DDF5EACFFD) which is the way I'm leaning, conservatively powered by the JL e1200.

ssmith100
03-04-06, 08:49 PM
The IB4 is 8 ohms though so you will cut the power in half on the 1200. The Kicker Comp would work better for you.

Shane

Imperator
03-04-06, 11:22 PM
Woah, I never noticed that. Power handling is recommended at 100W RMS, but on an 8-ohm load, I'd be getting somewhere around 80W to the driver. I'm more interested in seeing how the ID10 v.3 turns out.