: Have the NEW '06 Diff -- and GUESS WHAT????

Flyboy
10-28-05, 07:21 PM
Made you look...Sorry.

I LOVE IT!!!!! :) Check my thread "another inevitable" if you want the "whole" story. But, I just put about 100 VERY GENTLE miles on the new diff...yes...I checked the P/N....it is the new one. Absolutely NO WHINE, NO SILLY "GRINDING" when turning 90 degrees at a very slow speed. (You all know about this).....and BEST OF ALL......."Parade clunk" has completely disappeared. I know I had to reach in my pocket for cash, but this car NEVER sounded so quiet, even since day one (1), when I took delivery. Maybe this new Getrag isn't the greatest.....time will tell, of course....but for now.....WOW!!! I'm very pleased with it. I'm gonna' "baby" it for 500-600 miles, take it back to the dealership and change the fluid. I guess that is all anyone can do to make this one work. So, when you guys need one of these, hopefully your Dealership/AVM will cover it under warranty. Take care everyone, but I know you ALL wanted this info.:thumbsup:

DansCTSV
10-28-05, 07:45 PM
Excellent. How much did they charge you for it?

Jon
10-28-05, 08:30 PM
Excellent. How much did they charge you for it?
I think he said it was under warranty in his other thread.

04CTSVFLA
10-28-05, 09:02 PM
" I know I had to reach in my pocket for cash"

Well he did say this above. I dont understand why the old diff part wouldnt be declared diffective and recalled, and all replaced with the 06 FOR FREE UNDER WARRANTY - thats what should happen

Flyboy
10-28-05, 09:48 PM
I had to pay for the diff because the AVM said it was "driver abuse" He has declined warranty on 4 diffs so far for the same reason.....

rand49er
10-28-05, 10:04 PM
Jimmy: So, when are going back to Milan? (Heh, heh)

NoSlackCadillac
10-28-05, 10:04 PM
OK, How much? It would tick me off to have to pay for a new diff, however...
Mine is just starting to whine. I have to listen for it and can only hear it at certain speed under light throttle. I fear this is the beginning of the end.

I am looking to do significant mods over the winter and would rather have the new rear end than have the old one blow up. The V is my daily driver.

Of all the mods I have looked at, the new rear end seems to be one of the best.

c4racer
10-29-05, 03:32 AM
Let me get this straight. The dealer denied a warrantee claim on a car that was within warrantee on a failed part that is a known epidemic failure on the basis of driver abuse? On what grounds? Because you floored the loud pedal from time to time? Hello!!! I would take Cadillac to small claims court and bring documentation of all of the other failed diffs found on this board. Not a judge in this country that is gonna side with the factory on that one.......
:mad2:

Flyboy
10-29-05, 07:47 AM
c4racer......I agree with you 110%....IF my car was BONE STOCK, and the diff didn't fail at the drag strip...I'd do exactly what you suggest and WIN.....but if GM can prove the part failed while I was racing.....I'd be out of luck. Thanks for your input.....and to all guys who are completely stock.....do what c4racer suggested.....good advice.

Randy, I'm gonna go to Milan again, but not on a "regular" basis.....the car just won't hold up.

HDMLNIUM
10-29-05, 09:06 AM
Flyboy,
You will be back to Milan sooner than you think. I am going to the track tomorrow and will try to close up the gap some more. I am hoping to actually go in front of you to the 12.7 range.. If that happens and I don't break you will have to try to jump back in front. After all aren't we all that drag these things trying to be number one... haha...
Glad to see you got her all back together with the 06 diff...

Bill

Flyboy
10-29-05, 09:24 AM
Bill....I'm flying today and tomorrow......I wish you the VERY BEST on the track.....don't break and I have thick skin......if (that's the big one)...IF you beat my 12.84......I'll send you a cold beer or any other adult drink.

Good luck and have fun.

Jimmy

Vince_juice
10-29-05, 09:41 AM
i got a 06 diff and the same old SH#$ ,within 1000 miles it was howlin and i was gentle with it .this is my 3rd diff and the next one im doing it my self

Flyboy
10-29-05, 10:28 AM
Vince.....sorry to hear that man....I just don't understand this problem.....what plans do you have to "do it yourself"???

DrivingAmericanNow
10-29-05, 10:57 AM
$?$?$?$?$?$?$?$?$?$?$?$?$?$?$?$?$?$?$
Just curious....... how much do they get for a new 06 diff?

DansCTSV
10-29-05, 11:17 AM
I don't agree with the fact that since you broke it drag racing it shouldn't be covered. After all, its the drag racing quarter mile and 0-60 times that GM used to market the car that convinced me to buy it. If they don't allow us to drag race it then shouldn't there be a disclaimer on the commercials and in their adds?

Something like, "Any attempts to repeat these times will VOID your warranty and you will have to pay for the severely under engineered parts that we chose to put on this car"

Flyboy
10-29-05, 11:18 AM
A tad over 1900, plus 3 1/2 hours labor.....

Flyboy
10-29-05, 11:32 AM
Dan,
You are SO RIGHT:thumbsup: I hope someone from Cadillac/GM (in the position of "decision making") reads these threads. They can readily see we all love our cars.....just not pleased with certains things. Yes, don't advertise 0-60 in under 5 seconds, if we're not "allowed" to demonstrate that once in while. IMO, the AVM's are under a great deal of pressure to preserve money. But.....at what expense??? These warranty issues usually get sent back to the vendor (Getrag in this instance) for reimbursement back to Cadillac....so it's REALLY not coming out of their pocket......at least not the whole thing.
I sure hope this somehow gets addressed to our satisfaction.....but I honestly doubt it.:want:

HDMLNIUM
10-29-05, 11:49 AM
Jimmy,
A cold beer or 2 will be just fine.. :cheers:
I was just messing with you, break the diff in right as I am sure you will.
Just trying to get a little friendly internet competition going between us..:Poke: But damn your skin is thick.. :hitstick: haha
I will do my best tomorrow and I hope I atleast best my own time and then I can try for the 12.84 you ran. That is a great time and it gives me something to shoot for..
Have fun flying as that must be one of the coolest jobs someone could have, atleast in my opinion anyway..:angel: :cool2:

Bill

DrivingAmericanNow
10-29-05, 12:14 PM

:jawdrop: OUT EFF'ing RAGEOUS !!!!
:eek: :rant2: :want: :shocked2: :bulging: :wtf: :gun: :gun2: :brutal:

Dave's V
10-29-05, 09:53 PM
I hope not many V owners pay around $2200 to have their rear dif replaced. I much rather them see kick Cadillac in the balls. Maybe a few letters to some car magazines would get Cadillac's attention.

Someone would just have to show a judge some of Cadillac's ads, maybe the "Bang" commercial would be a good one or the one that shows the speedo going from 0-60 in under 5 seconds.

GNSCOTT
10-29-05, 11:24 PM
That is why if I see an SRT-8 come up for sale in my area I may go for it. I am afraid to track my car. I bought it with the thought that I would be able to do it once or twice a year while my wife drove it year round. I had the announcer at the track cracking Onstar jokes while my rear was broke. I almost went up there and kicked his arse. He was impressed with the 13.6@ 108 on my first run, and that was my first ever pass with a stick shift.

CVP33
10-30-05, 12:17 AM
That is why if I see an SRT-8 come up for sale in my area I may go for it. I am afraid to track my car. I bought it with the thought that I would be able to do it once or twice a year while my wife drove it year round. I had the announcer at the track cracking Onstar jokes while my rear was broke. I almost went up there and kicked his arse. He was impressed with the 13.6@ 108 on my first run, and that was my first ever pass with a stick shift.

Imagine the field day they'd have had with you if you'd staged with your rear wheels? Welcome to my world. :D I still had fun. F'kum if they can't take a joke or a 400HP Caddy. :histeric:

V-Max
10-30-05, 12:28 AM
Imagine the field day they'd have had with you if you'd staged with your rear wheels? Welcome to my world. :D I still had fun. F'kum if they can't take a joke or a 400HP Caddy. :histeric:

Everyone makes mistakes. That environment definitely does not like newbies. I backed up in front of the waterbox in my '99 Regal GS with auto trans. and went to break the tires loose...forgot to put it in D. Only moved a few feet back but caught slack from the people I was with. :)

BTW, my '05 GTO is loving the 30F temps but wheel hop has returned if I let them spin. And this with with about 12 lbs less mass due to Avon Tech 500 and SSR GT2s.

Time for coil overs.

Norm

dannystang
10-30-05, 01:47 PM
I didn't want to mention anything until I was 100% sure.

The new diff is fricken amazing.

No whining, no clanking, nothing.

My clients hear nothing in the rear but my billyboat.

Get one deffinately

obzidian
10-31-05, 03:03 PM
so, this new diff is for real?

Is a solution for the bad, broken diff shananagans at hand?!

NIK
10-31-05, 03:27 PM
[quote=Flyboy]Made you look...Sorry.

Absolutely NO WHINE, NO SILLY "GRINDING" when turning 90 degrees at a very slow speed. (You all know about this).....and BEST OF ALL......."Parade clunk" has completely disappeared.

I don't want to beat a dead horse BUT ...... roughly 9,000 love-em miles and have none of the above (never did.) You guys all have me waiting for the other shoe to drop. The only thing that sucks in my case is the fact that I'm going to have to replace the tires soon.

crispyrx7
10-31-05, 04:29 PM
What is the PN(s) for the '06 diff?
TIA,
Crispy

Flyboy
10-31-05, 05:08 PM

obzidian
10-31-05, 07:26 PM
but is working? HAve been looking at a few other options and wanted to know if this new diff is stronger, no whining or troubleshooting..than thsi would be the way to go first

Joey'sVee
10-31-05, 08:21 PM

It's 1650 (including shipping) on GM parts direct.

Is this the diff for the 06 V or the 05 STS? I was thinking it was for the sts...let me know!

Thanks!

Florian
10-31-05, 08:36 PM
one and the same.

F

dannystang
10-31-05, 09:19 PM
Yeah part 15 something.

Just replace it.

Trust me.

Flyboy
10-31-05, 09:19 PM
Florian......don't mean to dispute....but two different P/N's......the STS has 3.23 gears....while the CTS still has the 3.73.......BUT BOTH diff's substantially stronger than the 04's and 05's.

Joey's correct....re: 1650, but I was in a Cadillac dealership...so had to go with "their" program. If I was going this "alone"...I would have purchased thru GM Parts Direct and had a "local guy" do the install......it was not difficult.

Joey'sVee
10-31-05, 09:25 PM
Florian......don't mean to dispute....but two different P/N's......the STS has 3.23 gears....while the CTS still has the 3.73.......BUT BOTH diff's substantially stronger than the 04's and 05's.

So which is the 15XXXXXXX the 06 CTS-V or the STS???

Flyboy
10-31-05, 11:40 PM
The 15XXXXXXX is the "new" one for the CTS-V......I HAVE IT!!!!!

It's working fine.....so far

Joey'sVee
10-31-05, 11:52 PM
The 15XXXXXXX is the "new" one for the CTS-V......I HAVE IT!!!!!

It's working fine.....so far

I know it's the new one but is it from the 06 cts-V or the 05 STS?

Flyboy
11-01-05, 08:20 AM
It's the '06 CTS-V one