: Going to do Twin T-3 Turbo's!!!

TXSilverV
10-28-05, 05:56 PM
I'm working with my local shop to put twin T-3 Turbos on my V. This will be our own design as I can't see were anyone has done this yet. I will keep all specs as we go for anyone that is interested. The Shop is going to design the system and then sell them. I will keep everyone up to date on the progress as we go. The parts are on the way. We are having a intercooler custom made to fit the V as well. I'm going to go with a very low boost at first and increase as we test. I can't get over the fact that I will be without my car for a while, but in the long run it will be worth it.:alchi:

Oh by the way I'm going to let everyone know all of the Specs on every part for the do-it-yourself people out there.

DansCTSV
10-28-05, 06:48 PM
This will be interesting. At least you will be without your car for good reason. Those of us up North here are preparing for snow. Ugh... I probably won't be able to drive the V again until April.

Mat347
10-28-05, 06:56 PM
I was just thinking why someone has not done this before, it's going to be fun keeping up with this project. Any time/cost estimates from the shop?

heavymetals
10-28-05, 07:09 PM
good luck on finding enough room to fit everything.:hmm:

Staxxin
10-28-05, 07:10 PM
Good Luck, I'll be watching this thread closley....

TXSilverV
10-28-05, 07:48 PM
There is plenty of room to make it fit. There is less room in the C6 and they already have a package for it as well for the C5 ZO6. I know it will not be easy.

Luna.
10-28-05, 08:08 PM
Wow. Didn't you recently install a heads/cam package?

Are you sure the drivetrain and related parts are going to be able to handle that much power?

DILLIGAF
10-28-05, 08:19 PM
Davin=madman

akm2k5
10-28-05, 08:57 PM
amazing! Goodluck with it bro!

GNSCOTT
10-28-05, 09:02 PM
So are you going to lower the compression?

Slywun
10-29-05, 01:40 AM
Envious. Can't wait to see the numbers!

CTSVONFIRE
10-29-05, 10:24 AM
Hurry up we want dyno #'s.

TXSilverV
10-29-05, 10:25 AM
Yes I did do the heads and cam. I guess I have lost my mind but I can't stop. Is there a V doctor I can go see to make me stop all of this.

Luna.
10-29-05, 01:57 PM
I too am eager to see what HP and torque can be achieved. That's going to be scary...

(Not that it's wrong or bad, just curious...)

Why did you pick a turbo over a s/c?

And are you sure that drivetrain can handle the additional power?

Somebody on this forum once estimated that ~600HP (at the flywheel, which is ~500 at the rear wheels) was about the max that the stock drivetrain would handle. With turbo/s/c, you should easily exceed those numbers. As such, I was just curious how you got comfortable that the car won't distengrate or something. :)

TXSilverV
10-29-05, 04:26 PM
I think there are a few over that number. MeanV is for sure and a couple of others. I hope it will stand up, but if not what should I replace first? Like I said before the boost will be low due to the Horsepower I already have. I wanted the twin turbo since everyone seems to have the supercharger. I think I will get about 150 HP and 125 TQ. I know it will put out much more, but I'm doing a low boost.

Prince6599
10-29-05, 04:32 PM
*subscribed:cool:

Parker
10-29-05, 05:09 PM
I have way over 600bhp and no drivetrain problems here, and turbos are much easier on stuff than N2O or a supercharger.

Luna.
10-29-05, 07:36 PM
Perhaps NOS, but I don't agree it will be easier than the S/C.

Joey'sVee
10-29-05, 07:41 PM
Wow....that's awesome!!!

Parker
10-29-05, 08:22 PM
The S/C is parasitic.

markbinkc
10-29-05, 08:29 PM
As I was told when I went on the "quest" for the Procharger, anything can be done. There will be some space issues, and they may have to cut a hole here or there to get the tubing to the intercooler and then back out to the manifold, but it will be interesting and awesome. The guys that did my install seem to feel that stock bottom end on this engine is reliable up to about 550RWHP (about 500 on the Mustang dyno) before you start having to forge and lower CR. That being said, I've seen alot of F-bodys and Vettes running high boost levels and getting north of 600HP, but maybe they're on borrowed time? I'm just repeating what I've been told, but I think this will be interesting and awsome! Can't wait for some pictures and updates! Me myself, I just got a slightly smaller pulley, hoping to get about 9-9.5# out of it. Trying to get as close to that 550 as I can before I start spending more money. Way to go, man. Good to see someone doing something different! By the way, wasn't there another guy on here send his car to someone for the STS system?

Mark

Luna.
10-29-05, 08:58 PM
The S/C is parasitic.

So is turbo.

And I agree that this will be extremely interesting. A cammed, twin-turbo V should be terrifying and bring more respect to the V clan!!

Just keep it together!!

ace996
10-29-05, 10:01 PM
Turbo is parasitic???...I don't understand. A supercharger run at high rpms sucks big hp from the motor, I remember reading that Mercedes figured that their top-blower motor was absorbing north of 80hp at redline. Turbos do not draw power from a motor, but from the exhaust gas. I understand that some energy is absorbed by the turbo..the exhaust gas isn't allowed to freely exit the system, but no where near what a S/C draws.

As long as the turbo size is kept within reason, not too big, there should be instant spool and more than impressive torque. Because boost can't go too high without dropping compression, the smaller turbos will be great.

Good luck,
ace

GNSCOTT
10-29-05, 10:19 PM
I would change the pistons and lower the compression. Take it from a guy who has built an 8 sec GN. You have stock hyper pistons, high compression, and twin turbos. When a Hyper piston breaks, it shatters. It does not just melt or dent like a forged piston. One little small piece of piston will take out your turbo along with your motor. 600Hp can be acheived pretty safely if YOU KNOW HOW TO TUNE with a laptop and a program using fuel maps and stuff like that. You can not program the stock pc and expect to be able to push the envelope and ride on that fine line of breaking. There are too many variables in the car itself, and in outside conditions> A;so remember that you will be adding close to if not 100lbs to the front of the car.

Now with that said, go for it, get us Dyno #'s and go for dual BB turbos from Innovative.

Luna.
10-29-05, 10:35 PM
Well, I'm not sure I like the selection of the word "parasitic" to define a situation whereby a forced induction system "eats" power, but so be it.

For reasons unknown to me, there is a perception that turbo charging gets its power "free." Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Power to spin the turbine is not free. Having a turbine in the exhaust flow increases the restriction in the exhaust. This means that on the exhaust stroke, the engine has to push against a higher back-pressure. This subtracts a little bit of power from the cylinders.

One overriding fact of life: you don't get something for nothing.

Now, this is loosely in accordance with what you said, but apparently, the fact that it IS using engine power for power the turbo isn't considered parasitic---I suppose I'm confused, as it definitely is.

In regards to the S/C using more power than the turbo, that may be true. The S/C, however, has no lag as compared to a turbo. Pick your poison I suppose.

ace996
10-30-05, 12:48 AM
Good explanation, Luna. It is either poison, but also what you'd like. For autoxing, I'd love the instant-on of the supercharger; however, with today's modern ball-bearing turbos lag is not really an issue anymore. For a V8, a twin turbo design is perfect. If the max boos someone is looking for is under 10lbs, two small turbos can be used and lag would be virtually non-existant. I've driven many turbo cars, some modded waaaay too much for their own good, and only the very high boost applications had lag that would be an issue. I'm guessing here, but with two small turbos full spool could be reached by 2500-3000rpm. As long as the exhaust flowed enough, it would be a very responsive system, able to develop an impressive torque curve and build hp smoothly. I'm going to follow this project, as I believe that a proper turbo system suits the LSx motors quite well. We'll see....
-ace

DgtalPimp
10-30-05, 02:03 AM
Subscribe to thread.

Barak
10-30-05, 06:47 AM
A supercharger is way more parasitic than a turbo any day. A turbo is about as parasitic as a factory muffler.

markbinkc
10-30-05, 07:33 AM
Here's a good nonbiased article about all three types of SC and a TC, if it's not a little dated.

http://www.powercx.com/celica/turbovssc.pdf

This discussion will rage on forever. There are benefits and drawbacks to each application, so I don't think one is necessarily "better" than another. Just different. That's what makes this a cool forum, because of all the guys on here doing different things. Maggies, and Prochargers, and Turbos, Oh My!:banana: Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Mark

TXSilverV
10-30-05, 12:24 PM
Guy's thanks for all of the comments. I'm moving forward with the project. I hope all goes well on this as I'm so excited. I will post pictures as we go on this project. I look to get started on it next week.

Devil_concours
10-30-05, 04:00 PM
what about a sequential twin turbo? small turbo for instance boost and a huge one for the high end?

ace996
10-30-05, 05:59 PM
Sequential twin is a nightmare to do aftermarket and with the modern ballbearing turbos that spool very quickly, no longer needed.

Devil_concours
10-30-05, 09:25 PM
Sequential twin is a nightmare to do aftermarket and with the modern ballbearing turbos that spool very quickly, no longer needed.
even with modern turbines, big turbo still lags.

Parker
10-31-05, 12:08 AM
Is anyone putting a thumper on their V??? Even with a T-88 on a 350+c.i. peak boost is below 4k rpms, thats not very laggy whatsoever.

Koooop
10-31-05, 03:18 PM
Turbo lag...

Nothing a low rpm shot of nitrous while the turbos spool up won't cure.

RacerVX
10-31-05, 07:47 PM
Guy's thanks for all of the comments. I'm moving forward with the project. I hope all goes well on this as I'm so excited. I will post pictures as we go on this project. I look to get started on it next week.

Great news! Who is doing this project for you?