: Boy how things have changed

Katshot
10-28-05, 08:59 AM
Recently, a thread I was participating in kind of got a little side-tracked. Okay, I jacked the thread (sorry DopeStar 156). It was totally unintentional but it DID kind of lead into some fun posts. So, I figured why not start a seperate thread and see how many others might want to get involved.
The point of the thread will be to share memories of things from a while ago that are no longer common in our lives. Things that had an impact on us. Things that we thought were "normal" but that people who were born say after the 60's or so have no idea about.
What started the whole thing was a talk about carburetors. How so many people today cut their driving teeth on EFI cars and for that reason have no idea how to deal with a carburetor. Things like having to set the choke before starting the engine and having to knock down the high-idle prior to dropping the trans in gear. Get it?
We mentioned thing like:
1. 3 on the trees
2. Setting points
3. Cars not coming with right side mirrors
4. Cars without gas gauges

Get it?
Then it kind of just flowed into other non-automotive things like:
1. TV's before cable and before color
2. 8-tracks
3. Before there were malls
4. The first calculators

You get the idea.
So let's share some memories of how things USED to be..........

VinnyT
10-28-05, 09:11 AM
Put a "dieseling" car in drive to kill the motor.
Removable fender skirts that weighed 80lbs each.
Commodore 64
PONG baby!

Jesda
10-28-05, 09:44 AM
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/metro.gif
Dialing local BBSes back in the early 90s to post messages, play online games, and download files.

RobertCTS
10-28-05, 10:17 AM
*Todays laptop computers use to fill a room!:eek:
*TV tubes were round.
*No Stereo and only AM radio and wax records
*Stick Shift on the Column along with the Tac
*Gas was 25 cents a gallon
*The grocer got all your groceries for you and used a long claw to get items off the high shelves.

Golly, I could go on and on...

Katshot
10-28-05, 10:35 AM
Remember when gas stations used to give things away like dishes and glasses? Or how every gas station used to have a garage and they would always clean your windshield and check your oil?
Nowadays, if you can understand the guy at the pumps, you're lucky.:bigroll:
Or how about the old slogan from McDonalds, "change back from your dollar" that referred to the price of a burger, fries and a coke.
Or how about going to the movies? I remember going with $1 and that's all I needed for the movie and a drink and popcorn.

RobertCTS
10-28-05, 10:58 AM
Remember when gas stations used to give things away like dishes and glasses? Or how every gas station used to have a garage and they would always clean your windshield and check your oil?
Nowadays, if you can understand the guy at the pumps, you're lucky.:bigroll:
Or how about the old slogan from McDonalds, "change back from your dollar" that referred to the price of a burger, fries and a coke.
Or how about going to the movies? I remember going with $1 and that's all I needed for the movie and a drink and popcorn.

S&H Green Stamps or Top Value Stamps
The Flubadub(what show?)
Froggy(HiYa Kids, HiYa)

RobertCTS
10-28-05, 11:49 AM
Imperial or a pink & white Desoto??

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/imperial.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/desoto.jpg

70eldo
10-28-05, 11:53 AM
[quote=VinnyT]Put a "dieseling" car in drive to kill the motor.[quote]

Just make sure you don't put it in 1st haha :p

- ZX Spectrum
- Heineken beer in yellow crates (or maybe you are not familiar with that?) Or even further back from wood. So you had to drink to keep your house warm...:p
- Gel was only to put in your hair
- no speed bumps
- smooth talking to your car and stroking the dash to make it start in cold weather
- chrome bumpers and skirts
- torsion bar suspension (lower your ride by the turn of a bolt)
- no mobile phone and answering machines
- kids playing outside
- Lunch in a lunch box from home
- Drafting on (chalk)paper with pencils; eraser and birdwing
- going to the library when you need info on something
- nothing really to worry about when you could smel some oil or gas from the car
- no computer controlled engine or no such thing as a DIC
- safety belts was an option
- tits were real
- a woman was unmistakingly really a woman
- you got coffee at the coffee shop
- Twix was a Raider
- Kids had respect for their parents. And you could actually get an ass whooping
- Strings were on your guitar and not in your ass
- Michael was black
- Music was not covered
- 'tape' your music from vinyl
- In Europe every country had their own currency. Now we have the Euro
- home made hamburgers
- they didn't shoot you for your nike's
- a keyboard was to hang your keys on or maybe an electric piano
- a mouse ate cheese
- a desktop was actually physically the desk where you now put your pc on
- a pc was started with a start-up floppy
- Pacman
- Black&White TV
- Monochrome monitors
- Only the highway, freeway and runway were asphalt (here though)
- the trains were on time
- board games
- no power brakes, no power steering, no power windows, no AC (or even heating! Ask VW Bug drivers), no cruise control, (that came later as standard or even option on European (mid size or economy) cars!)
- a dark brown colored car was cool
- booting and rebooting was if it didn't work you could make it work again by kicking it
- there used to be smoking sections in (some) planes and trains
- Boeing 747 was the biggest passenger airliner
- 472 and 500 cid engines
- Germany was separated in two
- Cold war and the fear for 'the bomb'
- Sylvester Stallone was cool
- TV action series where no one was actually hit by a bullet and people crawled out of a crashed vehicle practically unharmed (The A-Team, Airwolf, CHiP's, McGuyver, Knight Rider) were cool

Geez, shall I go on? :halo:

Kdirk
10-28-05, 11:58 AM
Well, I remember when Naked Gun 33 1/3 came out, my youngest brother couldn't figure out why they called it 33 1/3, never saw an LP in his life!

How about analog radio tuners, most people under 25 have hardly ever touched one.

I've got several tube amplifiers, open chassis style. One of the neighbor kids saw one in use and asked what the funny lightbulbs were for and why they were so dim.

When Wayne's World (the movie) came out, and re-popularized Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, I heard kids talking about that awesome song "Bohemian Rap City". I remember thinking aw crap, this is pathetic. And I'm not even that old at 31, although my tastes and interests tend toward old[er] stuff when it comes to music and electronics.

Hey 70eldo, you're an Airwolf fan? Man that show kicked it. Definately my favorite 80's action series. A-Team was cool too.

About that dieseling bit that VinnyT Mentioned, that reminds me of a great story. About 1986, my parents had a 1983 Chevy Caprice wagon. The thing was a piece of crap, among other things it dieseled all the time.

Anyway my dad used it as a company car (plumbing business, he was the owner and estimator) and I rode with him sometimes in the summer when I was off school. So we were out looking at this job at a Catholic church to replace a bunch of water lines. We had parked the car out next to the church, and as always it dieseled when he shut it off. Of course he said "aw, it'll quit in a few seconds, don't worry about it" and we went inside to meet the maintenance man.

We must have been in there 10 or more minutes down in the basement when the housekeeper from the rectory comes running in screaming and carrying on that "there's a car out here that's gonna explode!" so Dad and I run out, and there's the car, and I mean the whole thing is shaking and shuddering like a mother.

Billows of black smoke were everywhere from the incomplete combustion - we joked later that people must have thought they were electing a new Pope. I should add this church was in one of the most affluent parts of town, every one drove brand new Cadillacs and Mercedes and here we were with our smoking, belching Chevy wagon. Truly an embarassing moment.

Must've been what inspired me to get a nice car later on in my life, I would cringe if I had to drive something like that around now.

KDirk

airbalancer
10-28-05, 01:37 PM
Actual using a slide rule in collage

RobertCTS
10-28-05, 01:47 PM
Actual using a slide rule in collage

I remember the slide rule! I remember when our math teacher brought in the First Texas Instrument Calculator. Didn't have many functions by today's standards. In a school group buy they cost us $15 back in the 50's. Today that calculator is the size of a credit card and for promos they give them away.

Night Wolf
10-28-05, 01:49 PM
damnit, great way to make me feel old.... some way or another I can relate to alot of this stuff...

maybe being into classic cars and vintage home audio equipment does that to ya...sheesh, I gotta get with the times :)

EcSTSatic
10-28-05, 02:02 PM
Argh! I may be one of the oldest members on here. Born in 1955. Is this thread supposed to make me feel better? :crybaby:

Gas was $0.19 when I was in high school
My 59 Ford Skyliner with retractable hardtop had a tube radio that had to warm up
B&W TV - only one per household
78 RPM records
Gay meant happy
I still have and operate my sliderule
My first 4-function calculator in Japan was over $100
cars
carbs (my GTO had 3)
dual point distributors
metal dashboards
no shoulder harness, sometimes no belt either
definitely no crumple zones
wing vents
no catalytic converters
typewriters and whiteout
mimeograph copies - no photocopy machines
rotary dial phones
In the Marines
boot camp we qualified with M14s. M16s came later
no cammies. just mean and green
no email, phone cards etc. we wrote letters. postage was free in the war zone though.
Anyone remember Viet Nam?

Kdirk
10-28-05, 02:03 PM
Night Wolf-

You're a big fan of vintage hi-fi? Wow another old-scool audio enthusiast! So, do you prefer a particular make? Personally I love Sansui - they were a smaller outfit than Pioneer Marantz and Kenwood, but they made some great sounding (and beautiful looking) gear.

Not much tube stuff by them unfortunately, they really didn't enter the US market heavily till the late 60's via US military guys in Vietnam buying stuff in the exchanges and sending it back home. Real quality stuff all around at least until about 1982/83, they really took a dive on product quality.

Of course, I'd love some classic McIntosh, but it doesn't agree with my budget. Maybe someday...

Oh, and what's this about feeling old? I see in your profile that you are 18! Geez, you're just a darn whippersnapper <chuckle>. FWIW, I've ben into old electronics since I was about 12, have always been fascinated by the stuff.

KDirk

RobertCTS
10-28-05, 02:13 PM
Eldo brought back some memories. I remember how much fun the board games were. Checkers, Monopoly and playing Fish with cards. I remember us kids laying on the carpeted floor infront of our upright tube type radio and listening to "The Lone Ranger", "The Shadow" and Ted Mack's "Amateur Hour".

Kadshot I left you luv pts for the warm cozy feelings.:yup:

VinnyT
10-28-05, 02:19 PM
Kdirk - that "dieseling" car was my father's: a 1973 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon with the 455. What a friggin beast! When he floored it, the exhaust sounded like a rocket. Loved it!

Good N Plenty commercial
Top loading VCR's
Beta max
Outside mounted TV antennas
Gear operated clock radios (Looked like LED numbers)
When RCA products were made in America:rolleyes:
Black Label beer

Elvis
10-28-05, 02:27 PM
Coke was still cola, and a "joint" was a bad place to be.

We had four TV stations. If the president was speaking, your evening was ruined.

Kids played baseball outside on the street or on the nearest vacant lot.

We used to play "smear the queer" at recess. It was kind of like football with no boundaries.

AM radio. Two stations, that's all you needed to know. If one wasn't playing something you liked, the other certainly was.

I knew a guy who had a "reverbrator" and it made his radio sound like it was echoing. Kind of a cool effect on a hot summer night.

Rap didn't exist.

"High speed" data connection meant 1200 baud.

Phone booths EVERYWHERE. Either the "drive-up" kind or the "sit down" kind.

Life was better before cell phones. Now people use them as a fashion accessory--and to show EVERYONE that they have something MORE IMPORTANT to do or be than whatever it is they're doing right now. I really don't care to hear their private conversations.

That's my new crusade--to embarrass the SH!T out of these people who stand in the middle of a crowd YELLING at someone on a cell phone.

Remember when they busted all those presidential aides for participating in a cover-up?

Oh yeah, that's still going on.

Katshot
10-28-05, 02:30 PM
Isn't this cool!?
It's amazing how this kind of thing just takes off. Thanks for the points, I just hope everyone has fun posting memories, and others have fun reading them.
I was born in 1959 so you've only got me by 4 years EcSTSatic.
Robert, I LOVE those pictures of the cars. That was probably me favorite era in automotive design. I loved the chrome and curved glass. The low, wide stance. Ahh the good old days!

RobertCTS
10-28-05, 02:40 PM
I remember when stereo was Very new. An AM station had a show called Jackson's Beat. Kinda like Dick Clark. They had two frequencies they could operate. Jackson said to get two AM radio and tune one to each frequency.
Wow, was that neat!! We take it for granted now. The only time I go to AM is to listen to National Public Radio(NPR).

DeVillish
10-28-05, 02:49 PM
shesh you guys are old! JUST KIDDING! :duck: if it makes you feel better iam listening to The Four tops...and the beach boys.....oooo buddy holly now.

EcSTSatic
10-28-05, 02:51 PM
How about these for the "younger" crowd
quad stereo
Disco
Star Wars in the theater (episode 4 which came out first)
Leisure Suits
Bell bottoms
Halter tops..........

Elvis
10-28-05, 03:04 PM
I remember when stereo was Very new. An AM station had a show called Jackson's Beat. Kinda like Dick Clark. They had two frequencies they could operate. Jackson said to get two AM radio and tune one to each frequency.

My grandparents had a beautiful stereo (I think it was RCA) mounted in a mahogany cabinet, and it had a set-up like that. Two tuners built-in and you could adjust each speaker to a different station.

We never used that feature because there weren't any stations broadcasting like that around here. But it also had FM stereo and it was one of the best-sounding units I've ever heard. All tubes, very RICH tone.

My grandmother set a plant on top of it and the pot leaked and ruined the finish. Then it sat in front of a window and faded really bad. Then somehow the window leaked and messed up the circuitry.

I also remember when television sets were a major piece of furniture. The cabinets had doors and the wood had a beautiful finish. I had a huge cabinet that I ripped the old guts out of. I doctored it a little on the inside and a 19" unit fit perfectly on a shelf I added. My father still has one that he uses as a liquor cabinet.

One more thing--how many of you were the first "remote control" your parents ever used?

Or how about this? Did you ever lie on the floor watching TV, changing channels by gripping the knob between your toes and turning it?

RobertCTS
10-28-05, 03:05 PM
shesh you guys are old! JUST KIDDING! :duck: if it makes you feel better iam listening to The Four tops...and the beach boys.....oooo buddy holly now.

Listen to "The Commadores" and see if you can tell me who the lead singer is.:)

Elvis
10-28-05, 03:07 PM
Paul McCartney used to sing in another group too.

RobertCTS
10-28-05, 03:14 PM
Paul McCartney used to sing in another group too.

When the Beatles broke up he formed another group. Paul McCartney and Wings.

DopeStar 156
10-28-05, 03:20 PM
Recently, a thread I was participating in kind of got a little side-tracked. Okay, I jacked the thread (sorry DopeStar 156). It was totally unintentional but it DID kind of lead into some fun posts.
LOL! It's cool dude. My question got answered, I don't care. I'm old enough to remember some of this crap. Especially the TV's that had to warm up. Anyone else here remember fancy wooden floor model TV's? I spent most of my youth sitting on the floor infront of one and really ****ing up my vision in the process.

RobertCTS
10-28-05, 03:26 PM
LOL! It's cool dude. My question got answered, I don't care. I'm old enough to remember some of this crap. Especially the TV's that had to warm up. Anyone else here remember fancy wooden floor model TV's? I spent most of my youth sitting on the floor infront of one and really ****ing up my vision in the process.

YEP, WE HAD A FLOOR MODEL. YOU PROBABLY DANCE AND SANG TO THE DICK CLARK SHOW! sorry for caps

Katshot
10-28-05, 03:30 PM
I remember going shopping at Sears on Saturdays with my parents;
The smell of popcorn
The candy counter
The beachball spinning suspended in mid air above a vacuum cleaner wand attached to the exhaust side of the vacuum cleaner. it was MAGIC!
And I remember being one of many kids that were left in the TV department to watch Saturday morning cartoons while my parents shopped. Nowadays, your parents would probably get arrested for doing that!

Spyder
10-28-05, 04:16 PM
Push button transmissions! Even better than the three on the tree, eh!

VinnyT
10-28-05, 04:16 PM
Trapper Keepers
song 'Alex Foley' by Herbie Hancock
Garbage Pail Kids
Bomb pops
Corduroy pants - I had a maroon pair!!
Telstar console game by Coleco circa 1978
Kick the Can
Radio Shack Tandy TRS-80 computers
testing tv tubes at Radio Shack
Yule log

RobertCTS
10-28-05, 04:23 PM
The Pinacle of Cadillac!!

Kev
10-28-05, 04:24 PM
Hey Sandy, remember when one of the options for this was a 45 player?

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/imperial.jpg

I used to buy candy and bubble gum 2 or 3 for a penny.

Kev
10-28-05, 04:25 PM
Listen to "The Commadores" and see if you can tell me who the lead singer is.:)For which song?

Kdirk
10-28-05, 04:34 PM
VinnyT-

Uh, trapper keepers and garbage pail kids? Damn. you just put me in the time machine (A Delorean naturally) back to 4th grade.

Oh, and Alex F (the song) was done by Harold Faltermeyer. Herbie Hancock did "Rockit" with the weird, grotesque robots and stuff. Now he's just a marketing whore for Bose.

Corduroy pants, heck man try plaid pants and sport jackets - together. Good God, I look at pictures of myself as a kid and it seems my mom wanted me to be a used car salesman. Well, at least it would've been Cadillacs! But, that was the 70's... when the sex was clean and the air was dirty!

BTW, try listenening to the Commodores in Quadrophonic (I've done it, got a Sansui QRX-9001 quad receiver in the living room) you could blow the walls out of a brick house! <pun absolutely intended>

KDirk

RobertCTS
10-28-05, 05:18 PM
For which song?

ALL OF THEM UNTIL HE SPLIT ON HIS OWN AND HAD OODLES OF HITS.
Hint: He was black!:D ...OK initials LR. Happy meal on the line here:histeric:

VinnyT
10-28-05, 05:26 PM
You're right about the song, Kdirk. One thing I find cool about this whole thread; When I was little I envied my neighbor's Caddy. Now I have one of my own!:D

Run DMC & Aerosmith doing 'Walk this Way'
Hi-top sneakers
BMX bikes
Welcome Back Kotter
Introduction of Smog control on our beloved V8's:crying:
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind - Scared the sh!t out of me
Aliens - that one too!
Using chalk the size of cigars
Beastie Boys - still have the original cassette
The one barrel carb - WTF we're they thinking???:alchi:

airbalancer
10-28-05, 05:26 PM
Smoking some weed listening to Money by Pink Floyd in Quadrophonic
That was the 70's

addison_ii
10-28-05, 05:50 PM
I'll say Mr. Lionel Richie for lead singer of the Commodores.
Remember :
UHF/VHF TV
Windshield Sliding Shades on Pontiacs
ALF
The Electric Company
When Michael Jackson was Black :D
Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions
When Wal-Mart was just a local store in Arkansas
When you had to enter IP addresses to surf the "web".
GM having the majority of the Auto market sales.
Iraq was still just some country over there.
Iran meant you ran away from something/someone:D
Computer Monitors only displayed green text or orange text.
Cell phones were the size of PC speakers.
floppy disk were bendable.
Well that ends my time travel.

DeVillish
10-28-05, 05:51 PM
ALL OF THEM UNTIL HE SPLIT ON HIS OWN AND HAD OODLES OF HITS.
Hint: He was black!:D ...OK initials LR. Happy meal on the line here:histeric:
is it lionel ritchie? lol i bet iam waaay off....but iam young so its cool.

RobertCTS
10-28-05, 05:55 PM
I'll say Mr. Lionel Richie for lead singer of the Commodores.

Addison you were first. Your Happy Meal is in the mail:D

mccombie_5
10-28-05, 06:27 PM
Cool thread

I still use a side rule occasionally!

I can also remeber my grandad driving a car that had a record player

Kev
10-28-05, 06:43 PM
I hate steeling Happy Meals from children but Walter Orange sang many of the leads in the Commodores, Lionel sang some, most of the ballads.
:green:

Kev
10-28-05, 06:52 PM
My Grandfather was a TV repairman and he would bring us some of the old TV's that folks traded in. I had an old round tube in my bedroom for a while, the cabinet was beautiful but it was a bit large and the viewing screen was no more than 10" in diameter.

I remember when the first microwave ovens came out, Grandpa had to splurge and get one. He spent all afternoon the day he brought it home, cooking cupcakes in styrofoam cups, heating water, anything he could think of. It was interesting though I was glad when Grandma took over the cooking duties from him!

I also remember the first hand held claculators, Texas Instrument I think, they sent my Dad one for Christmas one year, 1975? They were expensive and had LED panels.

I still have a Timex Sinclair computer with most of the add-ons in a box in my garage.

RobertCTS
10-28-05, 07:09 PM
I hate steeling Happy Meals from children but Walter Orange sang many of the leads in the Commodores, Lionel sang some, most of the ballads.
:green:

What Happened to Walter Orange?

Kev
10-28-05, 07:20 PM
What Happened to Walter Orange?I think he's one of two original members left in the band.

Kev
10-28-05, 07:22 PM
What Happened to Walter Orange?I think he's one of two original members left in the band.I think that's worth a cookie at least?! :rolleyes: :bouncy: :yup:

Katshot
10-28-05, 07:41 PM
The Pinacle of Cadillac!!

You're killing me here with the pictures. Stop, I can't take anymore!!!!!!!!!

Katshot
10-28-05, 07:42 PM
Smoking some weed listening to Money by Pink Floyd in Quadrophonic
That was the 70's

Welcome to the machine and it was hash, not weed!:bonkers:

Katshot
10-28-05, 07:46 PM
Addison you were first. Your Happy Meal is in the mail:D

That was WAY too easy. I demand another, but harder (mainly because I didn't get back here before somebody else answered the simple question, damnit!!!):banghead:

Katshot
10-28-05, 07:49 PM
I think that's worth a cookie at least?! :rolleyes: :bouncy: :yup:

Begging for a COOKIE?! I thought I'd never see the day.....;)

Vesicant
10-28-05, 07:54 PM
There was a time when you could buy electronics from JCPennys. :shhh:

MCS Series!

Sears was hot stuff too.

Night Wolf
10-28-05, 08:11 PM
Night Wolf-

You're a big fan of vintage hi-fi? Wow another old-scool audio enthusiast! So, do you prefer a particular make? Personally I love Sansui - they were a smaller outfit than Pioneer Marantz and Kenwood, but they made some great sounding (and beautiful looking) gear.

Not much tube stuff by them unfortunately, they really didn't enter the US market heavily till the late 60's via US military guys in Vietnam buying stuff in the exchanges and sending it back home. Real quality stuff all around at least until about 1982/83, they really took a dive on product quality.

Of course, I'd love some classic McIntosh, but it doesn't agree with my budget. Maybe someday...

Oh, and what's this about feeling old? I see in your profile that you are 18! Geez, you're just a darn whippersnapper <chuckle>. FWIW, I've ben into old electronics since I was about 12, have always been fascinated by the stuff.

KDirk

:D

http://inoventionseast.com/misc/Whole%20System.JPG

Thats just my main system... I've got lots more :)

of course thats in my old room, in my apartment I am still using it all, but it isn't set up as nice :)

Even the CD player could be considered vintage... 1991 :) but that Nakamichi has more options and sounds better then most new high end CDp.

johndfw
10-28-05, 08:50 PM
70eldo..........LOL!

johndfw
10-28-05, 08:56 PM
Ecstsatic......... I watche vietnam on TV. I thought it was a war movie.
I remember asking my dad if we won the war.......... he said "almost".

That answer confused me for many years..............

johndfw
10-28-05, 09:01 PM
Devillish...........Try some Doors

ben72227
10-28-05, 09:36 PM
I grew up in the 90s, so I remember some things from then. Like the 3 Ninjas movies and the Ninja Turtle movies they had. I also remember I was about 5 when gangsta rap got huge, because I remember when Dr. Dre and Tupac were pretty much dominating the charts, of course, I loved grunge music too (still do) because my uncle's girlfriend had given me a Nirvana cd for christmas when i had just turned 5... thats when Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden were all huge.

I remember some of the old Nickelodeon shows they used to have too, back when Nick was good - the original rugrats, salute your shorts, alex mack, Are you afraid of the dark?, that hidden temple show...those were the days...:rolleyes:

And god, remember how awesome the power rangers were, i mean, the ORIGINAL power rangers before they had all of the lame spinoffs and such...

I remember when i was VERY young, some of the music my parents played because it was popular at the time - the Tom Petty (Full Moon Fever), the B-52s, GnR, :rolleyes:

And there were some GOOD Disney movies back then too - the little mermaid, beauty and the beast, aladin, and it seemed to culminate with the lion king and toy story. After that, all of the disney movies have sucked (except the PIXAR ones...)

Man, its all coming back now...:lildevil:

VinnyT
10-28-05, 09:42 PM
Fruit Roll Ups!!!!

VinnyT
10-28-05, 09:45 PM
Night Wolf - All I can say(or do) is::worship:

I LOVE your set-up!!! U R Da Man!!!

dbdartman
10-28-05, 10:03 PM
I remember when cars were: BIGGER, faster, roomier, more comfortable, DIFFERENT every year.

How about:
ignition switch, choke knob & starter button/pedal
vacuum powered windshield wipers :confused:
optional heater/defroster

General nostalga:
Sonny Fox & Wonderama
laying on the floor, with my cat Albert, watching The Lone Ranger
Christmas = LIONEL :cloud9:

Favorite bumper sticker:
REMEMBER WHEN SEX WAS SAFE & SKYDIVING WAS DANGEROUS?

:lies::D

Kdirk
10-28-05, 11:48 PM
Night Wolf,

Holy $***! I see a 9090DB on your stack! I have two of those, an 8080DB and a 890DB (the rare black face version, instead of silver). That's just a small bit of the Sansui gear I own. Over 60 different components in all (yeah, it's a sickness I tell ya).

Almost everything hi-fi I have is by Sansui; receivers, tuners, turntables, amps, reverb amplifiers, speakers, mixing consoles, EQ's and even a couple of cassette decks. AWRIGHT! So pleased to "meet" another Sansui fan! I guess you'll agree that the 9090DB can drop some serious sonic damage (125WPC at 8 ohms), hell I bet I could trigger alarms at the local universtiy seismology lab with mine.

If you're ever interested in quadraphonic (4 channel audio) check out a QRX-9001, much like the 9090DB in looks and quality, just 2 more channels and the ability to decode AND synthesize 4 channel sound. I have one set up in my living room and listen to it at least 3 times a week.

Man, this is a great thread. Let's keep this one going.

KDirk

FSU_Noles
10-28-05, 11:51 PM
Begging for a COOKIE?! I thought I'd never see the day.....;)

Remember when a cookie was food and not a file on your computer that stored all kinds of secret stuff about your surfing habits?

And remember when surfing refered to a board on a wave? And remember when a board was a peice of wood and not a place to visit on the web?

Remember when a web was something a spider created and not a global interconnection of computers.

Just a few thoughts... ;)

Stoneage_Caddy
10-28-05, 11:56 PM
Remember when a cookie was food and not a file on your computer that stored all kinds of secret stuff about your surfing habits?

And remember when surfing refered to a board on a wave? And remember when a board was a peice of wood and not a place to visit on the web?

Remember when a web was something a spider created and not a global interconnection of computers.

Just a few thoughts... ;)
Hey , this will get you all ....

Remeber years ago , going down the road youd see like a mile of cassette tape on the side of the road where someone flung it out the window ....

when was the last time you saw that ?

I just realized it the other day , and felt old as hell

johndfw
10-29-05, 12:49 AM
Remember when a sack of grass was called a "lid" or a "top"........ Ohhhh!....... Did I say that out loud?

DopeStar 156
10-29-05, 01:59 AM
Remember when a sack of grass was called a "lid" or a "top"........ Ohhhh!....... Did I say that out loud?
What're you so embarassed about? I have a huge sack of grass after I finish mowing? Now if you were talking about marijuanna then you'd be in trouble, but you're not, you're talking about grass. Simple, old, common, legal grass.........:halo:

davesdeville
10-29-05, 03:13 AM
And god, remember how awesome the power rangers were, i mean, the ORIGINAL power rangers before they had all of the lame spinoffs and such...

You mean the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers? TYRANNOSAURUS, SABERTOOTH TIGER, TRICERATOPS, PTERODACTYL, MASTADON!!!!!!

DopeStar 156
10-29-05, 03:32 AM
You mean the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers? TYRANNOSAURUS, SABERTOOTH TIGER, TRICERATOPS, PTERODACTYL, MASTADON!!!!!!
HAHAHA!!!! I have shit loads of those toys in my closet collecting dust and hopefully value... I hope they're worth something soon, I've been waiting for the right time to dump all that shit on ebay.

I was one hell of a brat as a kid, I had to have the best of everything and no one else could have what I had. If you had something as cool as me, I "accidentally" broke it. Hahahaha! :lildevil: Of course, I've out grown that... Well....almost.... Haha.

Night Wolf
10-29-05, 05:59 AM
Heh, vintage home audio was my main hobby for about 3 years before I got my car... I spent all 3 years buying and selling on ebay, and finally got exactly what I wanted :)
That is a rare Sansui unit, the black faced ones :)
in that picture is, yes, my Sansui 9090DB... 1 of 2 that I had, I don't remember what I had first, but this was in the best shape, it was missing a knob and 1 was damaged, so I took that from the other (which was in rough shape) then I cleaned the other up, refurbished the wood case since it was really bad, and then sold it on ebay... made more then I paid for it :) the 9090DB I have now is pretty mint... but I gotta say, it dosn't sound as good as it should... it needs to be fully restored with new capacitors and stuff, I knew someone that could do it, knew everything there was to know about them, he wanted IIRC $100 in labor plus parts... about $60.. so $160... but to ship the damn thing out, and back was another $160, I did not have almost $350 to spend just to make it sound better, so it stays for now.
below that is the Nakamichi CD Player2 Limited... kickass cdp, dual 20bit DAC... actually it has 4 18 bit DAC, 2 on each channel, 1 for highs and 1 for lows, it has the Music Bank feature.. meaning it is a single disc player, but can hold up to 7 CD's inside and switch between them, and it has variable output with volume control on the remote.. thats amazing for the vintage gear.. throw 7 CD's in and never get up to change CD's or the volume :)
bottom shelf is a BSR 810 Transcription with a Shure M91ED cart.... BSR wasn't known for quality tables much, but this is an exception, this thing is solid!, real wood and the platter alone weighs 8lbs... this was a top line model, very nice. the Shure cart is ok, not the best but not bad, for my use it stays. IIRC the table is friction drive... not belt and not direct, it is similar to a modern snowblower in that it has a drive disc that goes against the motor shaft and that is how you control the speed/pitch... pretty cool, but it is noisy, I do get the motor noise thru the speakers, and the spring that holds tension of the disc to the motor shaft is shot and causes it to slip, it'll maintain the RPM, but getting it going sometimes I gotta help it, and sometimes it can't do the auto features itself.. I gotta get a new spring... someday

the speakers... gosh... anyone that gre up in the 70's knew those things :) the legendary JBL L100's :) mine are an origanal pair, a guy was parting them out but I bought them as a whole before he had the chance. they were in real rough shape, but I sanded them down stained and polyurathaned them... they look alot better now, but still have blemishes..I then repainted the face black, they have been completly rewired inside, the drivers are left alone, but that is my 3rd pair of tweeters... I killed the first 2 sets then realized I listened to my music too loud (long story) I have the origanal pair and will get them reconed some day.
the stereo rack... I made... I love that thing, I can sit on it (and I am not light!) and it dosn't as much as make a creek... I paid a total of $80 in supplies, but to buy one (compnay called Salamander) was about $350, and it was smaller, more ugly, and not as strong as mine.
the speaker stands are heavy duty stands from partsexpress.com... they are the only stands built strong enough to hild the L100's (that I have came acorss) as I had a cheap pair of stands that the L100's literally crushed.
Lets see, I have had lots of gear over the years in my hopes to own a high end vintage sound system... now I am at that point and stopped. fo rthe receiver, I was going to choose between the Sansui 9090DB a Pioneer SX-1280 and a Kenwood KR-9600... then Kenwood I didn't like the looks of, but it had nice features.. the Pionner was a beast inside (massive caps and power transformer) and it looked really nice... but I just kept hearing soo many good things about the 9090DB... and I had a soft spot for Sansui, so I got that.
like I said, I had 2 9090DB's, I had a G-7700... that was a sweet receiver.. the G series was last before 80's black plastic junk, so it had LED power meters and analog AND digital tuning displays... and the way the Sansui logo was in the glass, it would glow when powered up... the Sansui logo on the 9090DB is nothing special. the G-7700 had some issues.. but it was a DC PURE POWER receiver... gosh, that was neat. I trashed the tuning capacitor by accident so the tuner didn't work and it had some other issues.. but damn was that thing nice... I would have kept that, but in my hunt I wanted a top of the line model, and the G-7700 was not... though I would love to get a G-9700 some day. That is sold.
I owned TWO Kenwood KR-8010 receivers... kinda a forgotten receiver, but it was 2nd to TOTL... only the KR-9600 was above it... those things were beasts, one of them had the rare full wood case too, 1 had issues that I used as a power amp. When I refurbished the L100's I set them up to be bi-amped (but have since changed back to normal) so I ran the 2 KR-8010's to the L100's... now each KR-8010 was rated at 120wpc.... but I knew someone that had their stock 8010 bench tested and it was putting out over 200wpc at 8ohms at .05% THD... which means that my L100's were getting somewhere close to 400wpc each.... real, vintage, true watts.... THATS when I killed TWO sets of tweeters :) I used to play dance music, have it turned up REAL loud, then hit loudness and there was never distortion.. yet when I went upstairs to get something, stuff would literally be falling off the walls... it was crazy. both 8010's are sold.
I owned a Kenwood KA-1500... really simple, small integrated amp that was neat... sold that
I had a Sony TA-2650... that got me into vintage audio from the start... then I got another and made 1 really nice one, I still have the nice one and sold the other on ebay. I then got a somewhat matching ST-3950 tuner, and stuff have that.
I scored an Onkyo TX-2500 MKII cheap at Salvation Army (where I got my turn table) this thing is a kickass receiver... it is near bottom of the line, but sounds soo good... for 35wpc, this honestly pushed my L100's to levels that i never thought was imagineable... here is the kicker... this little Onkyo sounds better then my 9090DB... now a bottom line Onkyo sounding better then a top line Sansui? THAT is how I know the Sansui needs to get restored.
Despite owning 2 very good computer speaker systems, I coudln't just throw the little Onkyo on the shelf... so I am using that as a computer system.. the speakers are my old surrong sound speakers (I have a cheap JVC 5.1 reciever for home theatre... that I am not using right now) and in my new apartment, I am not using home theatre, so I I had the speakers left over.. the are JBL N24's... nice littler buggers, so those and the Onkyo are my computer system.. very nice, plus I get the radio in the bedroom if I want.
gosh.. I am forgetting what else i had... damnit, I know I had more...
Oh yeah, I have a pair of KLH model Seventeens.... those things were damn good, late 60's... sadly my pair is not origanal, and from different years... but still good... I have the New England sound and the West Coast sound :) those KLH are back at my house in NY, not pretty to look at anymore.. but they sound so good, and Mr. Kloss was a freakin' genius when he made those things.
eh, what the hell, I'll just start posting random pictures of some of my old gear :)
oh yeah... I'm 18 y/o... how many 18 y/o do ya know..... that know what this stuff is? :)

Night Wolf
10-29-05, 06:02 AM
WTF the pcitures didn't go...

Night Wolf
10-29-05, 06:13 AM
I figured I would save the best for last....

1 things not pictued... the 9090DB's (either of them) or the BSR... I did not own either of them at that point.

this is the all of it put together... a rather neat setup.... mostly just to display everything.

top shelf- Kenwood KA-1500 and Regency 10ch. police scanner (ontop of Kenwood) then a Sony table radio (never worked) then the Sony ST-3950 and TA-2650 (the 2 pieces that got me into vintage audio gear)

upper shelf, KLH model 17 (front speakers for 5.1), the dog and bird were just cool, TWO Kenwood KR-8010's (beasts) then the Nak cdp under it. my JBL N-center, my trusty plain jane 25" Sanyo TV, then on the right is the Sansui G-7700 (sexy) onto of my JVC RX-6010... I bought that brand new for $180 a couple years back.. it has pro logic, Dolby Digtal and dts... I wish it had Pro Logic II, but that was the next years model... for being a cheap, mass market, bottom line 5.1 receiver, I gotta say, it never failed me, and I have had nothing but good luck with it, it has a nice amount of options and dosn't sound that bad... I would definitly consider another JVC if I wanted an entry level HT receiver (though I am more partial to Onkyo... they are a bit more upscale then JVC)

to the right of that is my Playstation2 (serves 2nd life as my DVD player) and the other KLH 17. Below that was my also trust Panasonic 4head hi-fi stereo VCR and the Echostar Dishnetwork sat. receiver, the little box ontop of that was a speaker/amp switch box so I could use any receiver with any speaker :)

in the corner is a POS DIY sub I made.... and yes, it was sitting on soda cans... actully that sub isn't too bad... the box was an old Optimus (Rat Shack) passive sub, then I put a 150watt sub amp in it (form parts express) then a cheap $30 sub driver I got on ebay and the port is now missing from the box... if I put a decent 12" driver in there and plug the port, that would be a decent box, and a decent amp, and it would make a pretty good sub.... but, a sub in an apartment is useless and right now it is packed away... some day... but i gotta say, for HT use, that thing worked real good, it was crappy on music, but for DVD's and video games... it was perfect for my use.

Then of course the L100's (origanal tweetes too... notice the red ring?) on the nice stands

so that is :)

as of June 6th, 2003, I have no longer been avtivly in the hobby, thats when I got my car.. though I didn't get my license until Aug. 11th '03... it still took over, but with the 9090DB and the L100's, that is exactly what I wanted, the Nak and BSR go along perfect... one day when I make lots of money and have the room, there are alot of gear I want... just to have... until then, I am very happy :)

airbalancer
10-29-05, 09:05 AM
Remember when there was only one phone in the house and if you did have an extension phone you were a big shot
Also wait untill 11 pm to make a long distance call

Katshot
10-29-05, 09:12 AM
Remeber years ago , going down the road youd see like a mile of cassette tape on the side of the road where someone flung it out the window ....

Nice pumpkin!

Jesda
10-29-05, 09:13 AM
I had almost the exact same Pioneer amp! I gave it away in the spring. It was awesome for headphones.

Katshot
10-29-05, 09:14 AM
HAHAHA!!!! I have shit loads of those toys in my closet collecting dust and hopefully value... I hope they're worth something soon, I've been waiting for the right time to dump all that shit on ebay.
I was one hell of a brat as a kid, I had to have the best of everything and no one else could have what I had. If you had something as cool as me, I "accidentally" broke it. Hahahaha! :lildevil: Of course, I've out grown that... Well....almost.... Haha.

I had fun getting into the Transformers with my son. We even went to the movie when it came out! I'm such a loser...:bigroll:

Randy_W
10-29-05, 09:24 AM
I remember when we didn't have a phone, when we did get one it was on a party line with 5 other people and our # was 3166. I also remember record players in cars and 4 track tape players! You could play 4 tracks in an 8 track player not the other way around. Pabst Blue Ribbon was 25cents a can and ciggarettes were a quarter also. I worked at an Amoco station and our gas was 29.9 and 35.9, you got 10 gallons for $3!!!:cool2:

RobertCTS
10-29-05, 09:46 AM

Stoneage,
Did you do the Caddy pumpkin? Excellent!!

Bob

DeVillish
10-29-05, 09:55 AM
haha yes! i had a crush on the pink one...she was hot, and i wanted to be the Green one he was so cool!

Jesda
10-29-05, 10:03 AM
Amy Jo Johnson. Pink hotness!

Stoneage_Caddy
10-29-05, 10:37 AM
Stoneage,
Did you do the Caddy pumpkin? Excellent!!

Bob
did it last year ....that what the pic is .....im looking for a foam pumpkin for this year .....i felt so sad when all my hard work rotted away in a matter of days ....took like 3 hours to create it

DeVillish
10-29-05, 10:37 AM
yes! thats her! ah, good times.

RobertCTS
10-29-05, 12:13 PM
did it last year ....that what the pic is .....im looking for a foam pumpkin for this year .....i felt so sad when all my hard work rotted away in a matter of days ....took like 3 hours to create it

The wreath musta been tough!:yup:

Stoneage_Caddy
10-29-05, 12:23 PM
The wreath musta been tough!:yup:
it was a pain in the ass .....glad i took pictures ....neibors couldnt belive it when i put it on top of the car .....they thought it was painted .....till i lit the candle inside ...

RobertCTS
10-29-05, 12:52 PM
it was a pain in the ass .....glad i took pictures ....neibors couldnt belive it when i put it on top of the car .....they thought it was painted .....till i lit the candle inside ...

You mentioned Foam pumpkins..are they hollow and have a stem? NO CANDLES in that pumpkin!!:eek:

Stoneage_Caddy
10-29-05, 01:25 PM
yah thatd be a problem ....lol

Elvis
10-30-05, 12:52 AM
I remember when Saddam Hussein was a good guy, and Moammar Khaddafi was a bad guy.

Reagan funded one and bombed the shit out of the other.

davesdeville
10-30-05, 06:24 AM
haha yes! i had a crush on the pink one...she was hot, and i wanted to be the Green one he was so cool!

Amy Jo Johnson. Pink hotness!

Hell yeah Amy Jo Johnson is where it's at. I wanted to be Billy, the Blue Ranger though. Man I'm a nerd.

And the shogun zords were just plain cool.

Elvis
11-02-05, 11:19 AM
Nobody's mentioned these things:

http://i17.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/52/41/f2_1.JPGhttp://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/2/4/6/9/7/webimg/1879280_tp.jpg

I grew up using both. And I had one of these at home in 1980:

http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/museum-uva/datapoint1800.gif

It had two 8" floppy drives, and later we added a 10MB Cynthia pack.

FSU_Noles
11-02-05, 11:38 AM
I have an 8" Floppy... disk....I also have a few old magnetic platters around, fun to see how we have gone from that to a Gig the size of a pack of gum.

Kdirk
11-02-05, 12:28 PM
Yup,

8" floppies? I've a couple stored away somewhere, but...

I also have a "disk" form an IBM system/360, giant of a thing, about 15" diameter in a hard plastic clamshell case. Has a spring loaded popup handle that released the bottom portion of the clamshell to set it in the "drive" which was a floor standing job about the size of an old IBM band printer.

To see one in action, watch the Bond movie "A View to a Kill" where he and Q are in the lab doing the facial composite of Christoper Walken's character on the computer. You see Q put this big old disk in to start the program, a real laugh for 1985 since this was early-mid 70's technology. They should have used a CD to look like they were ahead of the curve.

Guess those crazy Brits are a bit behind the times <chuckle>. I like spotting these kinds of inconsistencies though. Obviously someone in the prop department thought it looked cool.

I've also got a benchtop multimeter with nixie-tube displays. People see it now and wonder how the display works. Looks really neat, compared to the newer LED/LCD/VFD stuff.

KDirk

AirJigga25
11-02-05, 12:58 PM
From a child born in 1980:

I remember when a Tandy 1000 computer cost $2000 in 1989. Computer games such as janitor joe, pacman, astroid, frogger, oregon trail, Caremen Sandiego.

When a kid who had a TV in his room was a GOD.
The milk carton at lunch cost 15 cents. A snickers bar was 40 cents in `85.
When we drove around a brown 1980 chevy malibu with a hole in the ceiling apholstery named "the dirt bomb." SO EMBARRASSING.

GI Joe, Richy Rich, Thundercats, Tranzor Z, airwolf, china beach, fall guy, a team, dukes of hazard, cosby show, etc.

When people used black boards instead of white boards. (racism?) jk

When my long distance phone bill was $60bucks and my mom made me pay it, now long distance is free.

When there wasn't a remote control, isn't it the worst when you can't find the remote?

When there was no electric windows, there was no horsepower, there was no in dash CD players, there was no RIMS.

When you stepped on the button on the floor to turn your brights on and off....I love that!