: Beat an AMG E55 tonight

Vdrenaline
10-28-05, 01:02 AM
I was driving on Rt 17 North in Paramus, NJ and noticed a black E class staying very close to me on my left ( I was in the middle lane). I slowed down to see what the rear badges were and sure enough, it was an E55. So I downshift to third so he can hear me rev it up and he hits it and gets a jump on me. I caught him and cleanly passed him before we quickly came up on traffic at about 110 mph and had to hit the brakes HARD. He was surprised and pulled next to me to look me over because he seemed truly stunned that he had been beaten. I was more surprised than him. I would have thought a new E55 would have easily beaten a V, particularly since he had gotten a jump on me. This is not the first time I have been pleasantly surprised. Another time while emerging from the toll booths together, I beat an Audi RS6. Also beat a Porsche Turbo out of the tolls on the Garden State Parkway. I must be the only person I know who loves toll booths because it gives me an opportunity to bang through my gears to redline. I never thought a V would beat any of those cars. I do redline it and shift it hard but I would think they were all doing the same. Has anyone else beaten any of these 3 cars? I've been pleasantly surprised by how fast a bone stock 2004 V is.

BowenCT
10-28-05, 02:04 AM
:

VELOSE
10-28-05, 02:30 AM
If the guy had you pull over is because he was OWNED! :hitstick: Nice kill, gives me hope I can beat one too.

I had a run in with one for a short distance but we weren't side by side. I had him the whole time and was leaving slowly when I was completely stock.

v84life
10-28-05, 02:33 AM
say what?

lawfive
10-28-05, 02:35 AM
Beat this one out of the tolls yesterday afternoon!

VELOSE
10-28-05, 02:37 AM
I hope so.......because she look like a he. :D

oceanhut
10-28-05, 10:07 AM
I extend my congratulations; however, as the E55 driver appeared stunned at the loss, so do I. My father has an 2006 E55 and I have an 04 v and, although, I dont like to admit it his car is MUCH faster. I would say either he wasnt ready and you were, OR, you might have found the sweet spot for our cars, and the 'achillies heel' RPM range for the E55.

Either way, a win is a win!!! congrats.

Blacksport350
10-28-05, 10:14 AM
Congrats on the kill! Odd though as the E55 is the faster car without question. DO you know if it was it a current E55 or the last generation which is packing way less power?

Staxxin
10-28-05, 10:24 AM
Nice KILL!!!!!

Florian
10-28-05, 10:24 AM
Nice spanking of the Ubermetal. Always nice to see the Vaterland bow to the good 'ol US!

As for the toll booth babe, Id be hittin that like Evil8's avatar babe...gives new meaning to "pounding the gears"

F

Joey'sVee
10-28-05, 10:45 AM
Nice kill!!! Gotta wonder if he was "all in"...

globed70
10-28-05, 11:21 AM
Kill stories, while exciting for some, have little relationship to reality. A current model E55 will puke all over us in a controlled environment. As will a Porsche 996 Turbo. Take the controls out of the environment, and we get kill stories.

Vdrenaline
10-28-05, 11:50 AM
Kill stories, while exciting for some, have little relationship to reality. A current model E55 will puke all over us in a controlled environment. As will a Porsche 996 Turbo. Take the controls out of the environment, and we get kill stories.

Very true words, but it was still fun!
I really do love the V and am still glad that I chose it over the RS6 I ordered (except maybe in February when it snows often). The autostick cars are great but there is still no substitute for the satisfaction you get from shifting manually and matching revs on a downshift.

crowan
10-28-05, 01:24 PM

I can't argue with your logic, but the very lack of controls involved in street racing is what makes it fun. How good is the driver? Who gets the jump? Who botches a shift or shift point? Who backs out of the throttle first? Who loses their nerve?

I would certainly expect to beaten by an E55. I recently got a decent spanking from a 996 Turbo. However, on the street, anything can happen. As Vdrenaline found out, "Its better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a lamb.":devil:

CR

trukk
10-28-05, 02:27 PM
Similar Experience.

After comming back from the Dyno on Wednesday, I was out cruising around. I was stuck at a light (in the far right of 3 lanes), lined up against a truck and a minivan (WOOT!), I pull out about 3/4 power, just to get clear of the traffic behind me, when I see a white convertible (top up) weaving all over the place. He gets past the light traffic, and I see it's a new body style SL Mercedes.

I've spanked my share of xx500 Mercedes before (and demolished the SL300's), so I figure no problem here. We were at about 65 MPH (i was still in 3rd), he pulls up next to me, and gives me the smarmy euro 'better than thou' look, so I new it was on. We poth laid on it, jumping at the same time. I was surprised that I only pulled 1/2 car on him to the top of third. After the shift we were even. We then ran up to about 125, and he had put 1/2 car on me, when we had to shut down due to traffic. He looked over, and was p!$$ed. I was shocked, but gave the thumbs up. He zoomed ahead (no thumbs, jerk). I got a big smile on my face, as he pulled ahead. SL55. I guess 125K only buys you so much. :D I was surprised, I thought an SL55 would pack a lot more punch.

Caveat: See my sig for my minor mods. Also high 3rd-4th really seems to be a sweet spot for our car. And YES he was trying. I don't think it takes much to punch an automatic to the floor. This experience fits nicely in between a viper run I had at nearly the same conditions (although the Viper beat me by a few car lengths.)

-Chris

lawfive
10-28-05, 03:16 PM
We poth laid on it, jumping at the same time. I was surprised that I only pulled 1/2 car on him to the top of third. After the shift we were even. We then ran up to about 125, and he had put 1/2 car on me, when we had to shut down due to traffic.

Caveat: See my sig for my minor mods.

"Gimme gimme gimme!" sayeth my Maggie.

trukk
10-28-05, 03:37 PM
"Gimme gimme gimme!" sayeth my Maggie.

I'd love to hear some L5 kill stories. Probabaly funny as Sh!t :D

-Chris

LV_V
10-28-05, 07:24 PM
There is no way you beat a 996 Turbo. Believe me, I tried about 2 months ago. It walked away from me like I was parked.

crowan
10-28-05, 08:32 PM
There is no way you beat a 996 Turbo. Believe me, I tried about 2 months ago. It walked away from me like I was parked.

The only good thing about the beating I took from the 996 Turbo was that the sound coming out of those Porsche exhaust pipes (three car lengths ahead of me) at WOT was beautiful music to hear!:thepan:

No guts, no glory.

CR

Luna.
10-28-05, 09:27 PM
LOL at you 2 racing the 996---I was cracking up... :)

crowan
10-28-05, 09:39 PM
LOL at you 2 racing the 996---I was cracking up... :)

I found myself at a stop light, on an empty rural highway in PA with Jersey barriers on both sides as far as the eye could see (no hiding police), at 7:30 AM on a Sunday morning. Just me and the red 996.

I generally don't street race, but he gave me "the look" and the choice was either go for it, or be a total punk. I chose to uphold the honor of V owners everywhere. I went down, but I went down swinging!:histeric:

CR

Florian
10-28-05, 11:03 PM
My college roommate has an 03 996 Twin Turbo and man that bitch is fast. I tried keeping up in the V and he didnt 'walk' me, he freaking 'sprinted' me. I thought my parking brake was on. He disappeared like Casper. Anyway, it is satisfying nonetheless that I paid less than 40K for my V and he paid over 100K. I can still beat most comers, and Im smart enough to keep the other at arms length. (Here Maggie, maggie, maggie) <------winter project

F

ace996
10-29-05, 02:17 AM
Last time I beat a Porsche, a 996 turbo, was at an autox. I was in a 130hp toyota mr2spyder....his car cost 5 times what my car cost...imagine the look on his face. I honestly felt bad for him.

Vdrenaline
10-29-05, 09:48 AM

That's exactly what I would have thought. Perhaps my race with the turbo may have had unique circumstances that allowed me to beat it, albeit not by much. I saw him come from behind and then next to me as we approached the EZPASS toll lanes that allow you to go through without stopping. I slowed down almost to the 15mph toll speed limit and managed to get into 1st gear. This allowed me to be in the peak of my powerband. The moment I was clear of the toll, I punched it very hard and powershifted into 2nd and then third. I was only about 1 car length ahead when we came upon traffic and had to hit the brakes quickly. I surmise that he may have slowed more than me into the toll, may have had an automatic transmission and/or did not time everything as perfectly as I managed to do in that instance. Maybe he left it in 2nd gear and had to deal with some brief but poorly timed turbo lag. None of that however diminished my enjoyment of beating him and seeing the look of disbelief on his face. There was heavy traffic after that point so we did not have the opportunity to give it another go. I love toll booths!

atdeneve
10-11-06, 07:30 AM
With all the cops littered along that highway, hitting 110 on 17 takes some balls. Only a few short sections where there aren't too many cops and a brief sprint might be possible. That being said, 150 is quite possible. But nothing I would know about. No siree, not me.

Where did you and the E55 run? Up north around Mahwah, Ramsey, down by Paramus, or further south by Hasbrouck Heights? No cops? If you do travel 17 a lot, you might not want to push it too far too often. Lots of cops just waiting to nab people there. I think it's one of the worst in my local area. I'm actually surprised the Benz even had the balls to run up to 110.

Anyways, that is indeed a good kill. Certainly not an easy one. I would've thought that with all the torque they have, the Vs would not've been able to hold a candle to the 55 AMGs. In a straight line, that is. Guess there's hope for us after all.

Oops, didn't realize how old this thread was. Was jumping from links posted in other threads and ended up here. Surree.