: Toyota to pass GM as top auto maker in 2006

HotRodSaint
10-27-05, 11:33 AM
Toyota Motor Corp will raise vehicle output by 11 per cent next year, unseating General Motors Corp as the world's biggest manufacturer of automobiles, a Japanese newspaper reported on Wednesday. (http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1529814,00020010.htm)

Toyota, whose profits and market value already dwarf those of its rivals, plans to raise group output to more than 9.2 million vehicles worldwide in 2006, or nearly 1 million more than its projection for 2005, business daily Nihon Keizai said.

Excluding minivehicle and truck units Daihatsu Motor Co and Hino Motors Ltd, Toyota's own-brand production will rise 12 per cent to 8.3 million units next year, the newspaper said without citing sources.

Jesda
10-27-05, 11:35 AM
Maybe this will force GM to swallow its pride and close some factories.

mccombie_5
10-27-05, 12:12 PM
Maybe this will encourage GM to build cars as good as Toyotas. Although they are getting better, they need to stop relying on trucks, truck sales are falling, and will continue to.

Sedans and Coupes are back

Now all GM needs to do is make some.

They have made a good start with the Cadillac range, we all know how well the CTS is getting on, now they need to concentrate on Buick and get some good RWD 3.6s and V8s. I think Buick could benefit from the Northstar, and I am aware the Lucerne is already using it.

If they would just stop making so many of those trucks!

90Brougham350
10-27-05, 12:37 PM
If this is true, it's gonna be a big hit to American automobile pride. Well, GM needs a continuing ass-kicking if you ask me, after all, actions speak louder than words.

ben72227
10-27-05, 06:52 PM
Maybe they will actually build decent cars now (yeah right, who am I kidding:lildevil: ). Imagine if every single GM car was as good as the Solstice, hell, they'd have Toyota beat at everything...

But, as long as they still stick OHVs in Pontiacs, force Onstar on everyone, and don't have any decent coupes, well, GM won't do too well...

HotRodSaint
10-27-05, 08:10 PM
Maybe this will force GM to swallow its pride and close some factories.

I hope it forces GM to do something.

I'd like to see a 2-dr Chevy coupe on the Solstice chassis called a Monza!

ben72227
10-27-05, 08:41 PM
I'd like to see a 2-dr Chevy coupe on the Solstice chassis called a Monza!

I would call it a Chevelle!:lildevil: or maybe they could use the malibu chassis and call it a Malibu Chevelle!:rolleyes:

SpeedyArizona
10-27-05, 10:38 PM
GM really needs to spend a few extra bucks to have cars that will compete with these Japanese brands in terms of quality. A few cars will never be beaten by Japanese brands, such as the Corvette, Escalade, and Hummer, but the mainsteam auto's will.

Buick- Needs to revamp that "old woman" look and put some power in their cars.

Cadillac- Also IS revamping their "not just for seniors" look with the XLR, CTS, and V-Series.

Chevrolet- Lacks quality and interior comfort from most of their line, the ONLY good Chevrolet is the Corvette.

Hummer- Great brand that appeals to soccer moms and governors alike, they aren't a hugely wide-selling group because of their high cost and the cost of gasoline, but the H3 will help a bit.

GMC- Horrible brand that is NOT professional grade, they need to have some models that appeal to the normal car buyers.

Oldsmobile- Japanese already have beaten this brand by leaps and bounds. Nothing much left in terms of variety or styling in these pieces.

Pontiac- A popular lineup of cars that will continue strong, but can easily be beaten by cheaper, japanese counterparts.

Saab- What can I say, not much of a choice, and lower quality, more costly than similar japanese imitations.

Saturn- Not much to brag about, very bland styling and low quality.

ben72227
10-27-05, 11:10 PM
Speedy Arizona, you need to keep up with the times!

Buick- Needs to revamp that "old woman" look and put some power in their cars.

The Buick Velite: with a 400HP twin-turbo V6:
http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/01/velite04_02.jpg

Chevrolet- Lacks quality and interior comfort from most of their line, the ONLY good Chevrolet is the Corvette.

Have you seen the new Impala? The one with the Deville interior??? (notice the iPod hookup:sneaky: ):
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2006/chevrolet.impala/06.chevrolet.impala.int.500.jpg

Oldsmobile- Japanese already have beaten this brand by leaps and bounds. Nothing much left in terms of variety or styling in these pieces.

Oldsmobile doesn't even exist anymore:confused:

Pontiac- A popular lineup of cars that will continue strong, but can easily be beaten by cheaper, japanese counterparts.

Let's see Japan beat this Pontiac:
http://www.fast-autos.net/pontiac/solstice11.jpg

Saturn- Not much to brag about, very bland styling and low quality.

Is this bland looking to you???:
http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/futurevehicles/SKY_beauty.jpg

That's the problem, people won't even look at GM's new stuff and they keep the notion in their heads that "Oh, those crappy American cars, who wants to buy them. They're so ugly and yucky..."

SpeedyArizona
10-27-05, 11:50 PM
The Buick Velite: with a 400HP twin-turbo V6:

To my knowledge this isn't on the market yet, I'm referring to what they currently have in their lineup.

Have you seen the new Impala? The one with the Deville interior??? (notice the iPod hookup ):

Accually I haven't, but thanks for informing me! I do agree that they definetly improved it, I don't have an Ipod, so that part doesn't matter to me. Still not up to my high standards, but gorgeous nevertheless.

Oldsmobile doesn't even exist anymore

That was a slip-up, sorry! I remember reading about that, just forgot!

I do agree that the price is alluring for many who want an "american exotic" for under $20,000 it's a BARGAIN :D!

Is this bland looking to you???:

I also don't think this is on the market, I'm referring to what is out there now. I don't think it's anything to brag about though, not exactly bland but still not exciting.

davesdeville
10-28-05, 04:12 AM
The Sky is indeed a production vehicle, it's a little more $$ than the Solstice it's based on.

Anyway, so what, some Japanese newspaper is tooting Toyotas horn without even quoting any sources. I'm not convinced yet, and a 12% production increase for a big company in a single year would be a hell of a sight to see/

HotRodSaint
10-28-05, 12:50 PM
I don't think it's anything to brag about though, not exactly bland but still not exciting.

I also wonder if the Sky will take sales away from the Solstice, rather than the Miata and S2000.

This to me shows that GM is still struggling with branding issues. Does the world really need two flavors of the same 2-seat sports car's from GM?

Jesda
10-28-05, 02:33 PM

Mazda. 1989.

ben72227
10-28-05, 07:09 PM
Whatever Jesda, the Miata is played out. Not only is it way too much for a Mazda, but the "MX-5" was nothing special, and Mazda could have made it look a LOT better than just throwing some chrome on it...It needed a complete redesign IMO, because the Miata is basically the same car it was in 1989...

1990:
http://www.miata.net/gallery/images/silver.jpg

2006:
http://www.miata.net/gallery/images/06silver.jpg

mccombie_5
10-28-05, 07:11 PM
I read that it was a complete redesign.

They kept it looking the same, because there was nothing wrong, im pretty sure its an all new car.

Like Jaguar did with the XJ

totally redesigned, but they made it look like the old one

or like Cadillac did with the Seville

98 total redesgin, kept styling similar

ben72227
10-28-05, 09:23 PM
True, but after 15 years though... I mean, the Mustang is still a pony car, but that doesn't mean it has to look EXACTLY the same after each generation...:rolleyes: and the same goes with the Mazda. I would have liked to see a Miata with some styling cues from the new Mazdas, the 3 and 6...

mccombie_5
10-28-05, 09:36 PM
But some designs are classic ones. I think the MX-5 is a classic design. A Lotus Elan for today, owners agree......

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hunziker/pictures/rr_grau.jpg

http://images.autobytel.com/cyber/187087/iS14164_1.jpg

If a design is a classic, it needs no change.

http://caddyinfo.onedgesolutions.com/cars/ront2.jpg

http://161.58.88.165/7eoAuaEe93o/M10070.1.jpg

I think the Mazda fits into this category personally. Simple good looking, two seater, small engine, great handling

davesdeville
10-29-05, 02:51 AM
New Miata (or whatever they're calling it) is a step up from the old one. I'd still take a Solstice over it though.

Jesda
10-29-05, 06:51 AM
The design of the NC Miata is completely lacking in emotion.

NA was 'fun.'
NB was 'serious fun.'
NC is a bar of soap. However, its lighter, quicker, has a nicer looking top, and more trunk space than the Solstice. Mazda wins easily on engineering, but doesn't make the same impact in overall execution.

You can bet that I'd still pick the Solstice. If we're talking used, however (2-3 years from now), I'd buy a Miata.

Randy_W
10-29-05, 09:28 AM
The Miata is extremely stale and according to early orders and sales figures, is about to get it's ass handed to it!

HotRodSaint
10-29-05, 12:06 PM
New Miata (or whatever they're calling it) is a step up from the old one. I'd still take a Solstice over it though.

The Miata reintroduced the affordable 2-seat roadster 15 years ago, before ANYONE thought there was a market for it.

And they did it right the first time, unlike Ford and their Mazda based FWD flop called the...what was that POS called again?? Was it a Capri? They ruined the name of the Capri!!

Anyway, the Mazda may lack sex appeal and gobs of power, but it is one of the funnest cars to drive on PCH from LA to Santa Barbara with the top down, with or without your girl in the passenger seat.

The Pontiac certainly has some sex appeal, but in person the latest Mazda is a little less cute and looks like a few aftermarket pieces can make it downright racer looking.

And being that it's a GM, the first year of the Solstice will be widely known as the year to stay away from. The 3rd or 4th year cars will be the car to buy. Which will give their competition enough time to fine tune their already good car's too.

But no matter what 2-seat roadster you buy, you MUST buy one once in your lifetime!!! :highfive:

Ralph
10-29-05, 11:20 PM
The Miata is extremely stale and according to early orders and sales figures, is about to get it's ass handed to it!

Agreed. (Although I don't know about the early orders/sales figures yet).

The Miata was also very underpowered when it came out, and even later models weren't that much better. The Sky/Solstice is 10 times the car imo.

Our Pontiac dealership had 3 of them purchased before they arrived. They have another 5 on order and they are spoken for as well now.

davesdeville
10-30-05, 06:10 AM
But no matter what 2-seat roadster you buy, you MUST buy one once in your lifetime!!! :highfive:

Yeah, I think I'll make mine an XLR-V a few years down the line. Maybe, just maybe, a N* Allante.