: Should I Worry About WOT?

MUGSANDLUKE
10-27-05, 12:04 AM
:confused: I have been aware of the WOT recommendations to reduce oil consumption and I find myslef relieving my tensions quite a few time a day. Should I be concerned about running it to the top of the tach or should I just let it go? Is there a limiter at the top end to cap off the RPM's before they go over the red line? I know there is a limit to the RPM's if just reving it up in neutral. At about 4000 RPM's it begins to cut back on its own. I have not yet just let it go to the top in concern for over rev damage. Any suggestions? Any idea what the top end is on this Northstar for RPM and speed?

mcowden
10-27-05, 12:21 AM
:confused: I have been aware of the WOT recommendations to reduce oil consumption and I find myslef relieving my tensions quite a few time a day. Should I be concerned about running it to the top of the tach or should I just let it go? Is there a limiter at the top end to cap off the RPM's before they go over the red line? I know there is a limit to the RPM's if just reving it up in neutral. At about 4000 RPM's it begins to cut back on its own. I have not yet just let it go to the top in concern for over rev damage. Any suggestions? Any idea what the top end is on this Northstar for RPM and speed?

You have nothing to worry about. If the revs get too high, it will shift into a higher gear. So, say you have the shifter at 2, but you get it close to 6000 RPMs. The PCM will shift into 3rd to prevent engine damage. Run it up as close as you can to 6000 RPMs a few times a month, then let off the pedal completely to take it to high vacuum and run it down from about 80 to about 55, then do it again. There is a limiter. The system is intelligent enough not to allow the engine to destroy itself. It will only "cut back" when you hit the top speed the PCM will allow, which varies between 110 and 150 depending on which model you have and what tires it came with. Just put the pedal on the floor and leave it there and stop worrying about it. The engine will rev up for you and love every second of it. Just be safe on the roads!

dhs
10-27-05, 12:41 AM
It'll still shift into 3rd even if you have the shifter in 2 instead of D? The whole point of shifting into 2 is to lock out 3rd and 4th, isn't it? I though it would just stay at the 6000rpm rev limiter if you floor it if it's in 2.

powerglide
10-27-05, 02:35 AM
WOT in moderation por favor

:)

mcowden
10-27-05, 11:12 AM
It'll still shift into 3rd even if you have the shifter in 2 instead of D? The whole point of shifting into 2 is to lock out 3rd and 4th, isn't it? I though it would just stay at the 6000rpm rev limiter if you floor it if it's in 2.

Yes, it will still shift into a higher gear, but not until you get to the rev limit. If you're just cruising along at 70, it will stay in 2nd gear. Once you hit about 80 and almost 6000 RPMs, though, it will shift into 3rd to prevent damage. Same thing if you put it in lowest gear. It will stay in 1st until about 6000 RPMs then shift hard into 2nd to prevent damage. It's a safety feature that we should be glad to have, but it makes it kind of tricky to reach maximum RPMs and stay there for a while.

Dooman
10-27-05, 12:50 PM
You should worry about running it like that, absoultely. You should worry about a lot of things, but we don't.. Do it.. run it out..

MUGSANDLUKE
10-27-05, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys! I was unaware of the feature that auto shifts up at top RPM. I won't have a carbon problem too much longer. That will be me going by you on the Thruway.

mcowden
10-27-05, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys! I was unaware of the feature that auto shifts up at top RPM. I won't have a carbon problem too much longer. That will be me going by you on the Thruway.

It's all good... :burn: Just be safe out there, watch out for the disco lights, and, most importantly, enjoy it!

auroradude
11-01-05, 01:51 AM
I love the protective software of our Northstars. Ive driven a lot of ford cars (exploder and f150 4x4s.)..NO protective stuff. You can pin it in first manual selector, it will go way over the redline before it kills the ignition. Then you have to try and stop with no vacuum brakes. What a joke. Also you can throw ford products into reverse or Park going 50 and they are stupid enough to engage. My friend did that in a 93 tempo that he was taking to the junkyard. Going 55 down the highway next to the place he slammed the selector into Reverse and it just locked up the tires before finally crashing through the fence. A bunch of transmission parts flew out the back.

davesdeville
11-01-05, 07:02 AM
^^There should be enough vacuum to stop the car once or twice with the engine off, plus if it kills the ignition that's probably a safeguard too.

Oh yeah, a friend of mine bumped his 77 LTD into reverse accidently, it just killed the engine and coasted to a stop. Started up, ran & shifted fine afterwards. Same story with another friend's 91 Park Ave. Maybe they were just lucky.

powerglide
11-01-05, 02:16 PM
My friend did that in a 93 tempo that he was taking to the junkyard. Going 55 down the highway next to the place he slammed the selector into Reverse and it just locked up the tires before finally crashing through the fence. A bunch of transmission parts flew out the back.

LOL!

Sounds like something out of a 80's flick.