: Help Has anyone done a HID bulb installation

hhsrx
10-26-05, 05:46 PM
please provide me with your experience. Thanks

Wagoneer
10-27-05, 10:49 PM
Nope, but I have heard that you need to take the bumper cover off to change the bulb> :banghead:

Are you looking to replace a bulb, or upgrade to HIDs from halogen lights? If the latter, it is quite involved ... I have done it on an older Audi A4.

danncas
10-27-05, 11:27 PM
I know that replaceing the lights is not the same as OEM lights and can dammage electrical system. I just trade in my SAAB 93 aero 2004 on a 2004 diamond white cirtified SRX with out the HID light. I see online the kits are about 300- 400 dollars. I would not recommend the bulds from pep boys ect. its not the same thing.

Wagoneer
10-28-05, 05:59 PM
This is true ... xenon bulbs as found at Autozone / Pep Boys / etc. are not the same as HIDs. Xenon bulbs are cheap halogen lights that have a bit of useless xenon in them (for truth in advertising purposes) and have been tinted blue.

True xenon HID bulbs require a ballast that can supply the enormous voltage needed to ignite them. Wiring the ballasts into the headlight system and making sure they don't have any negative interactions with the rest of the car's electrical systems is where the difficulty lies in upgrading to HIDs.

danncas
10-28-05, 10:28 PM
The Light on my SRX are bright but not HID So have you done this upgrade or know of anyone.

Kipp
10-30-05, 02:04 AM
I know there is a guy doing this on this forum......Do a search and you can find it

ZX_man
10-30-05, 10:16 AM
I just installed a Xenonfactory 5000K HID kit in my girlfriends 02 EXT Friday night. Although I am not familiar with the SRX (aside from my fathers) I can try and answer a few questions. The 9006 (lowbeam) kit was not cheap, $520.00 shipped, but let me say after seeing the difference it was worth every penny. We plan on taking some pictures in the next few days and I'll post them up. I was really floored when I put my 02 Escalade next to her EXT with the lights on.......it looked like I had candles in my headlight housings!! Now on to the kit. One reason I purchased from them was the warranty they give (3 years). The other is power for the ballasts is drawn from the battery, rather than the stock wire harness. Each HID is seperate from the other, which helps trouble shooting could a problem exist. It took me about 2 hrs to install, with the hardest part trying to find an area to mount the ballast which has to be close to the HID bulb. I would say you have about 10 inches of wire to work with. I'll try and post the pics up here and also in the Escalade forum, let me know if you have anymore questions.

Regards

Walter

hhsrx
10-31-05, 10:43 PM
Iwas hoping to find someone who has done the swap as the rear cover on the headlight assembly connects to both hi and lo beam via shor harness and i would rather copy the solution rather than reinvent one. by the way what kit did you instal and from where

krug300
11-01-05, 04:13 PM
:hmm: If I can trhrow my penny's worth of advise.....As an owner of a U.S. spec. SRX V8 in Athens, Greece I had to go through the opposite of what you guys are mentioning above. That is, the car had to be converted to halogen headlights in order to become "European" because it lacked the self levelling option. Once the car got a European registration I promptly re-installed the factory HID units. To the point now, in the Helm service manual, (page 8-577) both front headlight connectors are the same for HID and non-HID(wire colors and thickness as well) with the difference of a second ground pin for the HID type(ballast probably needs a dedicated ground) as well as a criss-cross of the high beam supply voltage and low beam supply voltage. Both connectors use the same circuit numbers.
This leads me to believe that by looping a second ground from existing ground pin D to pin E and by putting wire A into pin B and vice versa, you could then simply plug in factory HID headlight units. These come for about $400.00 a piece complete with all bulbs and ballasts.

hhsrx
11-01-05, 04:40 PM
I know that for a factory HID conversion you need a short harness that you can buy from the dealership. It will plug into the fusebox. The factory assemblies cannot be bought from the dealership unless you have a car with the HIDs already and installation will void the warranty. This info is from the service manager from my dealership. The headlamps assemblies are 7-800 each although I have seen them on ebay for 4-600 at times for the pair. The bulb swap seems to me less expensive and easier to swap back to if there is a problem

krug300
11-02-05, 08:02 AM
For $525.26 each you can buy the complete stock HID units from "new Cadillac parts.com". You are correct about e-bay, they go for about 300-400 a piece, less if used. Why would you want to tamper with the fuse box though? You must go through the same trouble whether you replace bulbs or the whole unit. There are "immitation" xenon bulbs by reputable companies like Osram, G.E., Valeo etc and they do seem to deliver a higher output blueish beam. Let us know what you end up doing.
Regards,
John
P.S. If you like "working" on your SRX, the 100 or so dollars for the 3 volumes of the SRX Helm manual are worth every cent you pay.

cbrsorlo
11-12-05, 11:04 PM
i would like to know how to take apart the front bumper and i would be able to install the hid on my friends srx.