: looking into a mild cam, need input please

ochaole
10-26-05, 05:53 PM
Does anybody know anything about Isky Racing Cams???? Im looking at buying a mild cam that, according to Isky, wont require any chip altering.. It claims 3.55-4:10 axle ratio. 9.5:1 compr. I really dont know what this means except Isky says it will make 30-35 HP at the 1200-5000 rpm range..Does this sound like a worthy purchase , keeping in mind i will pay big time to have it installed....
Thanks for the feedback...i am hoping this will give me a nice boost coupled with the exhaust,headers, and CAI that i aready have.

StealthV
10-26-05, 06:39 PM
Is the cam you're looking at the 271252/257? If so, it's not an improvement over what is already in the stock LS6 of the V.

What's your goal? More low grunt or more top end power? Is there a supercharger in your future?

Stock LS6 Cam
Duration @ 0.050 inch Lift: 204 int./218 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.550
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.550
Lobe Separation (degrees): 117

Geno
10-26-05, 08:18 PM
Installing just a cam, considering the amount of work to do it, would not be a wise investment. If you are going the cam route, consider changing the heads also. The LS6 heads are very descent by any standards, but there are heads available that gave greater flow capabilities. Just remember, as a general run if the heads are designed to supply a lot of high RPM HP, they won't be as good for torque down low. Normally, a manifold swap would complete this type of upgrade, but they run about $700 to $1000 dollars for an LS6 and you won't get more than 10 HP for it.

c5racr1
10-27-05, 02:37 PM
get the thunder cheatr cam made 30hp and 30 tq at the wheels and it sounds stock.

Rey
10-28-05, 12:11 PM
Suggest you do your own research. Talk to all the cam mfgs. Compare their information. Beware of big horsepower claims with mild cams. Sometimes these numbers are taken from big cam tests. Look at any dyno comparisons, partiularly at midrange and overall numbers. Most people tend to overcam their motors and/or focus only on peak horsepower.

GNSCOTT
10-28-05, 05:55 PM
go heads, cam ,intake and exhaust for an extra 100HP and be done. Blow the old rear before you do it.