: Heater control valves

klinks
10-26-05, 01:44 PM
I have heat on the drivers side but it blows cold air on the passenger side. Someone posted the suggestion to hold the auto and off buttons on the climate control for 5+ seconds. This should attempt to move the valves to their home position. I can hear the valves/door moving but it does not resolve the issue. Is there something else I can try or is there another door that might not be opening and if so where would it be located. I have a 1997 Catera
Thanks

97cateraowner
10-27-05, 12:23 AM
Funny you should post same day I fixed our 97 with same symptoms. I replaced the RH temperature actuator. The Auto/ Off button press with key on will recalibrate actuators but this is used for a battery replacement or other power outage. It was not a easy job and I feel it would of been easier if it was on a lift which I did not have. It can be found on passenger side after removing sound barrier and heater duct. Major pain for a 250lb 6'1" shade tree mechanic. :D

AllenPacla
10-27-05, 01:12 AM
if you can hear a loud noise at the bottom of the footwell passenger side while trying to reset the actuators, then it's probably slipping. I resolved mine by removing the actuator and re-seating it but replacing the original screws with a bigger one because i found that the old ones won't tighten enough to hold the actuator in place. And so far, it's holding up till now.

klinks
10-27-05, 03:56 PM
Funny you should post same day I fixed our 97 with same symptoms. I replaced the RH temperature actuator. The Auto/ Off button press with key on will recalibrate actuators but this is used for a battery replacement or other power outage. It was not a easy job and I feel it would of been easier if it was on a lift which I did not have. It can be found on passenger side after removing sound barrier and heater duct. Major pain for a 250lb 6'1" shade tree mechanic. :D
Thank you for responding. I am confused because I was told it is inside the car. So I have removed the glove box and I was assuming that it was the cylinder shaped unit on the right hand side of the blower motor. Is this the right actuator to resolve this issue?

97cateraowner
10-27-05, 06:07 PM
It is inside the car. Remove sound barrier from under glovebox and then the ductwork . There are three maybe 4 of these stepper motors under there. The actuator is located on the RH side of the HVAC module. The actuator is below and forward of the heater core. On my car it was the only one that had a black plastic cover on it. The rest may of had covers on it but I had them serviced while under warranty and may have been left off. I have the part number at home if you need it.

old_school_gee
10-29-05, 11:25 PM
Hey All:

I have a similar problem, only i have heat on passenger side and cold on drivers side. Any idea where the left hand temperature actuator is :crying2: .

Thanks in advance for any reply.

97cateraowner
11-01-05, 10:46 AM
The Temperature Valve Actuator (LH) location is behind the LH side of the I/P, mounted to the HVAC module. The actuator is below and forward of the heater core.