: Aftermarket Stock CD Changer

1998catera
10-25-05, 08:34 PM
I own a 1998 Catera and I would like to install a factory CD changer. Problem is, I don't know what I need. I don't think my car has the hookups in the trunk. I know I'll need the changer itself...but which one? If someone could tell me part numbers, installation, etc., that would be great!

meyema03
10-26-05, 06:11 PM
I too have a 1998 Cadillac Catera without a CD changer from what i know the ones with a bose sound system have the connections in the trunk but I have the bose system but have not located them yet. I have a service manual but the wiring diagrams are a little too specific and detailed. Try searching ebay for a catera CD changer.

Hope this helps
Matt Meyer

TomCat
10-26-05, 11:42 PM
My '97 also had the Bose without the changer, but I found the connector inside the little door on the right side of the trunk (two rotating locks keep the door in place - but I'm stating the obvious). The wiring was sitting on top of the rear wheel well.

1998catera
10-28-05, 02:30 PM
What exactly does this wiring look like? (It's good to state the obvious!)

TomCat
10-28-05, 03:24 PM
You're right! Well, it's a black-wrapped cable ending with a black connector that plugs into the back of your CD changer. I "carefully" pulled on it when I first saw it, and found it straightened out into the CD changer area very nicely.

1998catera
10-28-05, 04:13 PM
Okay...plan B. What do I do if I don't already have the connector? I cannot find what you described. All I found was where the motor etc for the gas tank door is! Is it possible it fell in behind somewhere?

andergar
10-28-05, 06:21 PM
Hey fellas. I started a similar thread a couple of months ago. This link will take you there. There is some good info. I will get the link from Crutchfield for the 6 disc factory replacement CD changer from USASPEC. And yes, the USASPEC does play CD-R's and does work with the steering wheel controls. I got this info from the Crutchfield rep. Enjoy.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52492

Here is the link to Crutchfield: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2Vzer9hoXKp/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=581G190CAD

Andergar

1998catera
10-29-05, 12:12 AM
My radio is not a bose. Will this affect the Crutchfield? This means that I don't think I have the factory cable or even if my radio will accept one. Any help? (Problem child I am...I know)

andergar
10-29-05, 09:29 AM
I don't think it matters if your radio is not a Bose. If you don't have the factory cable. Call Crutchfield tell them your situation and see if they sell the cable. I put a USASPEC CD changer in my wife's car and have had no problems with it. It's been a good unit now for five years.

Andergar
andergar@comcast.net