: Ok Cadillac Forums Members

Stoneage_Caddy
10-24-05, 11:19 PM
As a fellow member, one that has been around here WAY too much I am noticing a trend. One that is quite disturbing.

You all know me, after 9,000 posts, I have touched just about each and every one of you. Alot of you know me beater than people your blood related to. I have been everywhere, starting out on a 35 member list for b-12 sentras. Each time I stopped for awhile I made it home. I arrived here May 03, after 15 hours of trying to find out why the car was pinging, and why I had a service suspension soon message.

2 Years, and 9,000 posts later, the car is the absolute finest example of a mid 90s Deville. 2 years 9,000 posts later I have got fans. 2 years 9,000 posts later I have organized with the help of Julie and tom the largest meet Cadillac Forums has ever seen. Over this time I have met a canuck, a guy from Britain that could buy and sell most of British Leyland on his pocket change, a woman who wouldnít think twice about killing a hairdresser, I have met a beautiful girl that lives near me, Muslims willing to tell me about there lives, fellow residents of Fairbanks Alaska, the guy that designed my engine, fellow military veterans, and one big mother scratcher named "Brett" that says "fee fi fo fum".

2 years and 9,000 posts, I have seen members come and go. I have argued with sal, to the point we were calling each other names. I have lusted after fat chicks named Fleetwood. I have shared pizza with some of you. Yet others I have shared what I have learned over the years to get you back on the road. Then there are those now that eagerly await me to log on and talk about some of the things that happened to me over my relatively short life, I call them stories.....

Why does it sound like I talking in past tense? Because I feel we are in danger of loosing what has really become a part of my life. There is entirely too much negativity going on.....

About?

Points, we are seeing new threadS every day about the points system.....Here is how to use it folks.....

Positive Rep- Use this when you feel the post in question is something outstanding, something that will have an impact on our forums either short or long term.

Negative Rep- Use this ONLY when you honestly feel the post in question is meant to inflame others.

These are not tools of destruction, these are tools of CONSTRUCTION. Remember that

Advertising has become a hot topic as lines under text were the "topic du jour" just before the points system came out. Bills need to be paid; sal needs to be compensated for his losses trying to keep us afloat as we outgrew our boat.

There is also too many personal situations going on. We have a few members offering truces. I suggest all of you deep down try harder to make sure you donít come off the wrong way as you post. Sometimes thatís hard , but keep in mind , you arenít talking to me , your writing to me , I am reading your letters converting it to words and everything. Itís pretty easy on this fast paced format to come off wrong. Even I am guilty of misreading often. And I promise to try harder.

I want each and every one of you to reply to this post to tell me that youíre with me.....

I want our forum back.....Id like it soon

LittleB
10-24-05, 11:23 PM
I'm with you!

Stoneage_Caddy
10-24-05, 11:24 PM
we got one ...do we have 2 ?

Sandy
10-24-05, 11:28 PM
Okay, I'll lead. Personally, I don't believe that I have ever on this site, been nasty, mean or offensive to anyone, not have I started any "bad" topic. I believe that I have played within the rules of the game. If I haven't, anyone, please step forward and tell me about it.

Secondly, I have never gotten angry or been offended by anyone on here. I am sad that Kev is leaving too. I was gone all day, & just came on the site at 9:15 or so....SO, I was a little late making a post over there.

I still think this is better than 90% of all car sites on the 'web. Sorry if I can't add any "ideas" to make things better, as I think it's just great, now.

Sandy:)

Adam
10-24-05, 11:28 PM
the good ole days as i refer to them. before any of this, the size, the fame (i guess), the attitudes. i remember this guy named Stoneage Caddy who when i first seen his name i thought he was an old guy, it would be another yera before i got to talk to a guy i proudly call my friend (who is only 6 years older than me). i too would like our forum back.

As a fellow member, one that has been around here WAY too much I am noticing a trend. One that is quite disturbing.

You all know me, after 9,000 posts, I have touched just about each and every one of you. Alot of you know me beater than people your blood related to. I have been everywhere, starting out on a 35 member list for b-12 sentras. Each time I stopped for awhile I made it home. I arrived here May 03, after 15 hours of trying to find out why the car was pinging, and why I had a service suspension soon message.

2 Years, and 9,000 posts later, the car is the absolute finest example of a mid 90s Deville. 2 years 9,000 posts later I have got fans. 2 years 9,000 posts later I have organized with the help of Julie and tom the largest meet Cadillac Forums has ever seen. Over this time I have met a canuck, a guy from Britain that could buy and sell most of British Leyland on his pocket change, a woman who wouldnít think twice about killing a hairdresser, I have met a beautiful girl that lives near me, Muslims willing to tell me about there lives, fellow residents of Fairbanks Alaska, the guy that designed my engine, fellow military veterans, and one big mother scratcher named "Brett" that says "fee fi fo fum".

2 years and 9,000 posts, I have seen members come and go. I have argued with sal, to the point we were calling each other names. I have lusted after fat chicks named Fleetwood. I have shared pizza with some of you. Yet others I have shared what I have learned over the years to get you back on the road. Then there are those now that eagerly await me to log on and talk about some of the things that happened to me over my relatively short life, I call them stories.....

Why does it sound like I talking in past tense? Because I feel we are in danger of loosing what has really become a part of my life. There is entirely too much negativity going on.....

About?

Points, we are seeing new threadS every day about the points system.....Here is how to use it folks.....

Positive Rep- Use this when you feel the post in question is something outstanding, something that will have an impact on our forums either short or long term.

Negative Rep- Use this ONLY when you honestly feel the post in question is meant to inflame others.

These are not tools of destruction, these are tools of CONSTRUCTION. Remember that

Advertising has become a hot topic as lines under text were the "topic du jour" just before the points system came out. Bills need to be paid; sal needs to be compensated for his losses trying to keep us afloat as we outgrew our boat.

There is also too many personal situations going on. We have a few members offering truces. I suggest all of you deep down try harder to make sure you donít come off the wrong way as you post. Sometimes thatís hard , but keep in mind , you arenít talking to me , your writing to me , I am reading your letters converting it to words and everything. Itís pretty easy on this fast paced format to come off wrong. Even I am guilty of misreading often. And I promise to try harder.

I want each and every one of you to reply to this post to tell me that youíre with me.....

I want our forum back.....Id like it soon

Brett
10-24-05, 11:32 PM
That forum is coming back...the arguing is going to stop, that I promise all of you. Im tired of it and its not going to go on anymore. I doubt everything I do will be popular, but it will remove the negativity from the site.

slk230mb
10-24-05, 11:35 PM
I'm down. I started off here as a kid in search of the part number for his radiator cover clips. I never thought I'd have 2k+ posts and be a moderator. This is the best/most entertaining/informative forum I'm a member of. And I never thought I'd talk to a Canadian with nipple lubrication problems...:lildevil: ...j/k Ralph...

Stoneage_Caddy
10-24-05, 11:35 PM
That forum is coming back...the arguing is going to stop, that I promise all of you. Im tired of it and its not going to go on anymore. I doubt everything I do will be popular, but it will remove the negativity from the site.
whatever it takes , AT ALL COST RESTO as i like to say .....

Stoneage_Caddy
10-24-05, 11:38 PM
Okay, I'll lead. Personally, I don't believe that I have ever on this site, been nasty, mean or offensive to anyone, not have I started any "bad" topic. I believe that I have played within the rules of the game. If I haven't, anyone, please step forward and tell me about it.
Secondly, I have never gotten angry or been offended by anyone on here. I am sad that Kev is leaving too. I was gone all day, & just came on the site at 9:15 or so....SO, I was a little late making a post over there.
I still think this is better than 90% of all car sites on the 'web. Sorry if I can't add any "ideas" to make things better, as I think it's just great, now.
Sandy:)
sandy it is great ....but i just hope that i can provide a little modivation to our memebers to help get the ball rolling back the right way

ben72227
10-24-05, 11:40 PM
Well, I think it was a whole series of events that got us to where we are now. I think that when the CI forum was closed, a lot of us guys from the CI forums got uprooted and had to find new places to hang out (mostly the lounge). Of course, the lounge already had a set group of "regulars" and some of us CI guys (I won't name names) clashed with some of the guys from the Lounge "cartel":lildevil:. Anyway, to add to that, we got these point systems in place, which further agravated the situation, because now not only could you be mad at someone, you could PUNISH them! That led to a lot of members coming out of the woodwork worrying about whether or not they would get banned (including me) because somebody didn't like them. And since the point system is anonymous, there was no accountability, which (IMHO) defeated the whole purpose of it being used as "constructive criticisim" and led to it being used as a tool of vengeance.

Simple solution - reopen the CI forums. I know alot of you guys didn't like them, but for a lot of us, we felt at home and comfortable there. Some of us are very...aggresive, and like to debate, and the CI forums were the perfect place to do that. When we got moved to the lounge, well, the lounge is a completely different place, very laidback, usually pretty "fun" topics, and of course we didn't necessarily fit perfectly. Now, I love to post in the lounge, as I'm sure many of you regulars know, but its like I need the CI forums back open to balance it out. You can't have the ying without the yang:lildevil:

Adam
10-24-05, 11:42 PM
woops i meant only 4 years older than me. for some reason when i clicked save when i edited it, it would save for some reason.

Boombotz
10-24-05, 11:43 PM
I'm with you 100%. Well I guess I should talk as both for now. We Are with you!!!

Brett
10-24-05, 11:45 PM
the CI forum bred most of the hate in the first place...we grew it there, then unleashed it. Beleive it or not HRS and Ralph use to be friendly and they probably still would be if it hadnt been for that forum

Stoneage_Caddy
10-24-05, 11:45 PM
Well, I think it was a whole series of events that got us to where we are now. I think that when the CI forum was closed, a lot of us guys from the CI forums got uprooted and had to find new places to hang out (mostly the lounge). Of course, the lounge already had a set group of "regulars" and some of us CI guys (I won't name names) clashed with some of the guys from the Lounge "cartel":lildevil:. Anyway, to add to that, we got these point systems in place, which further agravated the situation, because now not only could you be mad at someone, you could PUNISH them! That led to a lot of members coming out of the woodwork worrying about whether or not they would get banned (including me) because somebody didn't like them. And since the point system is anonymous, there was no accountability, which (IMHO) defeated the whole purpose of it being used as "constructive criticisim" and led to it being used as a tool of vengeance.

Simple solution - reopen the CI forums. I know alot of you guys didn't like them, but for a lot of us, we felt at home and comfortable there. Some of us are very...aggresive, and like to debate, and the CI forums were the perfect place to do that. When we got moved to the lounge, well, the lounge is a completely different place, very laidback, usually pretty "fun" topics, and of course we didn't necessarily fit perfectly. Now, I love to post in the lounge, as I'm sure many of you regulars know, but its like I need the CI forums back open to balance it out. You can't have the ying without the yang:lildevil:
Ben ....you didnt say you were with me ......your not going to let one of the only other diesel caddy fans go without some love are you?

I know your 17 and full of testosterone , but shake hands with the dirty old man !!!!

ben72227
10-24-05, 11:59 PM
I'm with you in wanting to make this forum better, but that doesn't change the fact that I miss the CI forums. I mean, the lounge is nice, but sometimes i (no offense to Ralph) get tired of looking at the new girlie pictures of the week EVERY SINGLE WEEK. Sure we have some good discussions (like the one I started about Audi) or Story Time with Stoney, but I always liked to visit the lounge in "moderation" and now it seems like I have no place to else to go, and I really start to realize all of the things I don't necessarily like about the lounge. I mean, its kinda boring sometimes, wheras the CI forum was almost always action packed (there I go with that testoterone:lildevil: ). Anyway, I'm just letting you know how us CI guys feel about this whole situation...

the CI forum bred most of the hate in the first place...we grew it there, then unleashed it. Beleive it or not HRS and Ralph use to be friendly and they probably still would be if it hadnt been for that forum

Hmmm. I don't know about that. I think if anything, you "unleased the hate" when you closed the CI forums. I think Hate is a very strong word to use Brett, and from what I can tell, the HRS/Ralph conflict seems to be nothing more than childish antics. The last I saw, HRS was proposing a truce to Ralph, as he was obviously fed up with it as well... Also, Brett, I'm usually not one to point fingers, but I think we can all agree that the real reason the CI forums went down hill was because of Scourge...

Stoneage_Caddy
10-25-05, 12:03 AM
Ah , theres my testemony from brutha ben .....

Look , im gonna talk to brutha ralph about the girlie pics ....i have been meaning to talk with him but i havent been able to get to it ...it has been a bit too much this side of good taste ....

Now where are the rest of my bruthas and sistas with testemony for the revrend stone ?

TESTAFY!!!!

90Brougham350
10-25-05, 12:05 AM
I've only been here 10 months now, but I understand what you're saying in every respect Stoneage. I'm behind you all the way. The closing of the CI forum definately made an impact on the Lounge, but that's something that will soothe over time as everyone who loved or hated the CI forum, as well as the rest of us adjust! And the points system isn't carved in stone either. This addiction so many of us spend hours reading every day is just transitioning right now, I believe, but it'll take a little time to get it back the way it was. Doesn't matter, I'm not going anywhere, I'm here with ya Stoney!

ben72227
10-25-05, 12:10 AM
Also, another point I'd like to add. It seems that the site has really strayed from Cadillacs. I mean, this may be bacause we no longer have the resident expert (Bob) who kept us informed, but I kind of miss having discussions about Cadillac in general. I think it would be pretty neat if we had a forum about the history of Cadillac. Maybe we could have Story Time with Sandy? I'm sure he knows plenty about the history of Cadillac and american luxury in general. I don't know...just a thought...It's something I'd certainly be interested in...

Blackout
10-25-05, 12:10 AM
Your my boy Stoney!!!

Stoneage_Caddy
10-25-05, 12:11 AM
I'm with you in wanting to make this forum better,

Hmmm. I don't know about that. I think if anything, you "unleased the hate" when you closed the CI forums. I think Hate is a very strong word to use Brett, and from what I can tell, the HRS/Ralph conflict seems to be nothing more than childish antics. The last I saw, HRS was proposing a truce to Ralph, as he was obviously fed up with it as well... Also, Brett, I'm usually not one to point fingers, but I think we can all agree that the real reason the CI forums went down hill was because of Scourge...

Then Brutha Ben edits ....and adds .....And gives the Revrend an example of what we need to try to avoid ......

Ben , please , no mo of this ....no more blameing , this is part of what i want to avoid ...dialog to improve this place is good ....but lets not assign blame , you could have left it propseing opening CI , and reitterateing you point without useing names or refernces ....

Stoneage_Caddy
10-25-05, 12:12 AM
Also, another point I'd like to add. It seems that the site has really strayed from Cadillacs. I mean, this may be bacause we no longer have the resident expert (Bob) who kept us informed, but I kind of miss having discussions about Cadillac in general. I think it would be pretty neat if we had a forum about the history of Cadillac. Maybe we could have Story Time with Sandy? I'm sure he knows plenty about the history of Cadillac and american luxury in general. I don't know...just a thought...It's something I'd certainly be interested in...
Way to go ....we got General Cadillac area , maybe we can start the thread there ....ill rap cadillac history with anyone ..

Stoneage_Caddy
10-25-05, 12:13 AM
bruthas blackout and 90 brogham giving some good testmony .....

ben72227
10-25-05, 12:16 AM
To further add to that history forum, I think we should have like a topic of the week about some lesser known Cadillacs maybe. Like one week we could talk about the Cimmaron, and then maybe about the diesels lacs, and maybe about the 1959 Cadillacs, etc...

Blackout
10-25-05, 12:27 AM
bruthas blackout and 90 brogham giving some good testmony .....I hope at some point that I can meet the man, the legend, the one and only STONEY!!! You seem like a cool guy. Sucks that you live so far away. I know this is off topic but how have you managed with the hurricanes?

HotRodSaint
10-25-05, 12:29 AM

Bred hate? I don't hate anyone.

I agree with Ben. If there had been a points system in the lounge, the arguments there never would have gotten out of line.

Not a knock against you or Sal, because I know that you both are busy. But if the CI section should have had a fulltime moderator and then it never would have gotten out of line.

But most important, I'm with Stoney...I hit him with a positive this morning as a symbol of peace.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-25-05, 12:31 AM
Bred hate? I don't hate anyone.
I agree with Ben. If there had been a points system in the lounge, the arguments there never would have gotten out of line.
Not a knock against you or Sal, because I know that you both are busy. But if the CI section should have had a fulltime moderator and then it never would have gotten out of line.
But most important, I'm with Stoney...I hit him with a positive this morning as a symbol of peace.
I noticed .....Hopefully a prelude of a more tranquil time around here

Stoneage_Caddy
10-25-05, 12:32 AM
I hope at some point that I can meet the man, the legend, the one and only STONEY!!! You seem like a cool guy. Sucks that you live so far away. I know this is off topic but how have you managed with the hurricanes?
everything witht he hurricane went well here . got a little windy , but outside that nothing much ...but im loving the cooler temps....

HotRodSaint
10-25-05, 12:38 AM
Also, Brett, I'm usually not one to point fingers, but I think we can all agree that the real reason the CI forums went down hill was because of Scourge...

He would never have lasted in the CI section if there was a Rep system in place. But he's not the one who started it's down hill spiral, he was just the measurement to show us all that it had hit the bottom.

I wouldn't assign blame to anyone person. It was really a lack of a fulltime moderator that allowed the atmosphere to slowly deteriorate over a long period of time.

HotRodSaint
10-25-05, 12:39 AM
I noticed .....Hopefully a prelude of a more tranquil time around here

I hope so too. I will do the best I can in my fallen human condition to accomplish it. :)

addison_ii
10-25-05, 12:47 AM
Stoney, I'm with you. As I have posted in another thread:

This site was created so that the owner's and enthusiast of Cadillacs could meet and share valuable tips and info to avoid paying for unnecessary and expensive repairs, thereby allowing us to have more money and time to spend with loved ones. Being such a great place, we are also allowed to post personal stories and experiences, topics about things that are currently affecting our world, get info on other things that may interest us.

This being the case, the current atmosphere that is prevailing here is unnecessary, to say the least. It is slowly undermining what makes this site so great. Members who have been invaluable sources of info, comedy, and inspiration are leaving. Why?? Do you ask. Because of the constant bickering and childish behavior coming from people who are supposed to be rational,calm, and intelligent people.

Being a newish member, you all may not know me but, I am asking that this stop. This site has provided me an opportunity to meet new people and save over $3,000 in repairs and labor cost alone, and I want to continue to enjoy it. If the current attitude is to continue then we will see more of the traffic to this place wither. I , as well as, over 30,000 other members do not wish for this to happen. We are here to give and receive info on our cars, along the way we get a bonus in the form of friendships. Let's continue to be friends and not enemies trying to get back at one another.

As a side note, we must remember, that if it was not for the constant backbiting, bickering, and general rude behavior the current system wouldn't have needed to be instituted. So if you are concerned about this, it is through your own actions that it is currently in place.

So once again please stop this behavior. It is causing many of our fellow members to stay away from here because of it.

Fellow Forum Member,
Addison_II
__________________ I really mean that. When I first joined here on 3/30/05 I didn't know of this behavior going on. Of course the older members might have had prior knowledge but it didn't seem that it was spiraling towards this point. I'm not going anywhere. My name will be seen on the active user list until this place closes(which I hope will never happen). As I told MC5, since I moved to Mn I haven't made any new friends, so my only new friends have come from here. That's why I'm here so much, because this feels like I'm back in my hometown hanging out with my buddies(which I am but I can't see you all:D). So there will be a change and, that, I'm sure of.

FSU_Noles
10-25-05, 01:16 AM
I am pretty new to the lounge area, but have been in the Allante forum for about year. I don't particulary get into disagreements on a forum - if I disagree I just ignore the thread.

Dumb question - what was this infamous CI forum??

addison_ii
10-25-05, 01:21 AM
The CI forums was for current issues. You can still view it but not post. It's on the main forum page close to the bottom.

TomDeville
10-25-05, 01:22 AM
Current issues/Political but non religious.

FSU_Noles
10-25-05, 01:26 AM
As I run an IT company, if ya'll miss it that much I will create a domain and a forum that you can go hog wild on if you think that would alleviate some of the tension. I never realized there was so much going on up here outside of cadi-speak.

:bonkers:

ben72227
10-25-05, 01:28 AM
Basically one of us would start a topic about a current political event (i.e. Tom Delay getting indicted would be a good example) and we would discuss it. Sometimes we would argue/debate, but for the most part it was all in good fun. I too agree though that it wouldn't have gotten out of hand had we had a full time moderator like the lounge does...

Chuck C
10-25-05, 01:29 AM
This thread is very timely! Lots of turmoil over at the CTS forum right now. I remember the humble beginnings of cadillacforums; minimal spam, bickering, and negativity.

Suggestions:

1) Ditch the repuation system b/c I think it generates more burdens than benefits

2) I would also recommend ditching the post count. Hometheaterforum did away with post counts a few years ago b/c it made others seem more superior (egos ran wild!). Upon removal, everyone was on a level playing field. With respect to our forum, that would also mean removing the join date (this one is a bit out there, but it has its merits).

3) Don't post anything a rational person would not post! I.e. have respect! r-e-s-p-e-c-t! And let sleeping dogs lie.

DopeStar 156
10-25-05, 01:56 AM
Personally I've never thought of this forum going down at all. We've got to be the most popular Cadillac site on the net as far as forums go. I back Stoney on this wanting to keep this place alive. I'd follow that man to hell and back! Actually I was concidering a pretty good promo idea let me know what you think. Now as a Cadillac enthauiast you are familiar with many different years and models of Cadillacs and run into one every so often in a parking lot or in the street or at a show etc. I was thinking of like a business card. Something along the lines of "An online community of Enthauiasts www.cadillacowners.com" Then next time you walk by a Caddy in a parking lot that you can tell has a loving owner, why not drop a card on the wiper? Going to a car show and see a really sharp looking 59 Coupe? Drop a card! Recruit more members, maybe more supporters?!?!?!?! Eh?! Hahahaa! But yeah, simply spread the word.

powerglide
10-25-05, 02:07 AM
we're all people.
Sometimes we have good days sometimes we have bad mood days......you can feel the pulse by looking at the posts/number of new threads etc.

Anyways, I think it'll all even out and we may be over reacting here.

The need for good solid cadillac tech talk will only continue to grow.

We're gonna be fine. People come and go.

I'm glad it looks like this downward trend in morale seems to be turning.

On a side note, all this bickering has shed a light on the positives too. Look at all these concerened folks, posting about difficult issues and feeling, people apologizing, mature discourse, etc.....all of this is actually STRENGHTS of this forum in a strange way.

I mean, if no one cared, then people will just disaapear, tune out, drop out.....but all this action here shows how much we all care.

Its a strong beacon of hope for this place and frankly I am not very worried about the future of this place. Its all good. I think everyone here's a valuable member. I have had my share of arguments on here, but have moved passed it. (hell I think just a few months ago I recall going at it with Ralph....remember that? :) )

I have faith that this will blow over soon enough.

Hang around everyone, take a break if you need to, but the doors always open as far as I am concerned.

Tom

addison_ii
10-25-05, 02:16 AM
Dopestar, the card idea is great. I've been thinking about getting some printed up.

Powerglide, I agree with you 100% good post.

ben72227
10-25-05, 02:17 AM
I think a bumper sticker would be cool too...
I've attached a "Business Card" for us...
http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/773/cadillacbc5xh.jpg

Krashed989
10-25-05, 05:45 AM
I'm with you Stoney. :thumbsup:

Jesda
10-25-05, 05:56 AM
I side with allied forces. Down with the axis of evil!

I'll be honest, I read half the first post then skipped to the bottom.

Playdrv4me
10-25-05, 06:08 AM
Sounds good to me. I started out here when I had my 2001 STS and through all the cars Ive owned since then Ive never left. Im a little disappointed to see that I am apparently already getting some negative feedback and I havent even engaged anybody since this thing was put in place! I sincerely hope this thing balances out and the trend does not continue.

davesdeville
10-25-05, 06:40 AM
Stoney I'm with you.

But I've got a couple points.

Just be careful, I'm sure you know things you do could result in much more negativity.

Also, another point I'd like to add. It seems that the site has really strayed from Cadillacs. I mean, this may be bacause we no longer have the resident expert (Bob) who kept us informed, but I kind of miss having discussions about Cadillac in general.

There was actually a time before bob was here. (He was on GMforums until a bit after it closed. Who all posted on the GMforums?)

I miss having the great one around, but we still have a great knowlege base. I wouldn't really expect many Cadillac discussions in the lounge, we do have other sections you know :p

It was really a lack of a fulltime moderator that allowed the atmosphere to slowly deteriorate over a long period of time.

I believe that forum was unmoderatable (if that's even a word,) since everyone's going to have some political leanings a mod could never be completely free of bias.

I am at peace with it's death.

RobertCTS
10-25-05, 08:26 AM

Brett,
I tried to send you a PM but your mailbox is full. It regards this thread. Think you clean it out a bit and I will retry.
Thanks
Bob

mccombie_5
10-25-05, 09:01 AM
I'm with you guys. I want the same thing. In a relatively short space of time you guys have made an impact on me, and given me a much different view of my brothers accross the pond.

RobertCTS
10-25-05, 09:15 AM
I'm with you guys. I want the same thing. In a relatively short space of time you guys have made an impact on me, and given me a much different view of my brothers accross the pond.

Hey McC,
Us Yanks are you're strongest ally. In my mind you Limies and Canucks are like an extended family. I agree that some nasty members have carried this hatred much to far. At first I thought it was a wonderful idea. Maybe it still is but needs to be adjusted. I would like to see members in red be banned from posting their venom.

But to the point..I want to try harder to bring our friends back into the fold!!:yup: :thumbsup:

Brett
10-25-05, 10:31 AM
Robert--mailbox has been cleared

Dave--Im sure you know I'll be careful, anything I do will only be unpopular to the person I do it too. :)

Dave2---yes, i agree it was un-moderateable

HotRodSaint
10-25-05, 11:57 AM
I believe that forum was unmoderatable (if that's even a word,) since everyone's going to have some political leanings a mod could never be completely free of bias.

What a moderator could and should have done, was stop the personal attacks.

We all did it to some extent. But some people were much more vicous than others. That should never have been allowed to continue for as long as it did. And that to me, is why the section was closed.

Randy_W
10-25-05, 12:44 PM
O.K., I'm on board, I promise to stop talking bad about 1Toycad!:D
I think the reputation points is a bad idea,it only works if people are honest and don't use it for vandettas, unfortunately that hasn't happened.

1TOYCAD, PLAYDRV4ME, and all others, no more personal attacks from me as of 12:45 EDT, 10/25/05. I still don't like Mercedes and Lexus, but I'll try to be good.:thumbsup:

Kdirk
10-25-05, 01:18 PM
Stoney,

I'm with you. I will say that I have made an effort to avoid threads that were getting [or had the possiblity of being] controversial on a personal level. That's not what I came here for. My main interest was in Cadillacs and so I've not involved myself in many of the discussions that were not directly relevant to cars, troubleshooting, tips etc.

I've just recently started following (and posting) in the lounge but if I ruffle any feathers - which I never do intentionally - I will probably step out and go back to doing strictly car/tech related discussions. I say that because this is a valuble resource to me for my car, and for me to help other car owners who have problems I may have already dealt with.

I don't want to lose access to that aspect of the forum by getting into controversy and stupid arguments, name calling, etc. If I wanted that I'd spend time with my family or get a girlfriend. Getting into spats serves no useful purpose and just drives people away, thereby reducing the usefullness of a forum like this.

My point is that anyone who appreciates this place (and Sal, yourself and all the others who have made this forum possible) for the benefits it brings to Cadillac owners who would otherwise not be due to the cost of owning these fine cars without being able to do your own work/repairs should evaluate whether they can coexist peacefully with others of widely varying backgrounds, tastes, attitudes, etc. once the discussion turns away from cars and towards more personal topics.

If, after such consideration, they are not comfortable with the fact that disagreements will occur, then they sould steer clear of non-car discussions or risk taking some heat. At least then they will still have access to the technical benefits of belonging here without the bruised egos.

It's just really a matter of self-policing. Civility needs to be maintained for the benefit of all, or this place will cease to be useful. I say this because I've belonged to other online forums in the past - many of which no longer exist because they went down the slippery road that we seem to be getting onto now.

A lot of this is the result of growing pains. In other forums, large numbers of new members would show up, the rules were not followed by the masses, civility was not maintained, and the place was lost beacuse the most veteran, helpful and knowledgeable memebers left out of disgust. This left a room full of screaming kids to take cheap shots at each other, and who wants to go in there? Hopefully we can avoid that type of descent here.

Moral of the story, we need to get a handle on things _now_ before they slide too far or we will have nothing to look forward to here. If admins feel they need to start deleting the occaisional post to keep the peace, so be it. Yeah, there will be grumbling but consider the alternative.

And for those of us (and I include myself in this category) who get heated in a debate, we need to remember to excuse ourselves from a discussion before it gets out of hand. This will benefit us all in the long run.

* End Rant *

KDirk

CTS-VETTE 550HP
10-25-05, 03:34 PM
new to this lounge and must have missed alot of negative issues here but i'm happy to be part of the group and hopefully makes lots of friends.

Boombotz
10-25-05, 03:36 PM
Welcome into the lounge. It is all good fun in here. A lot of new people venturing around the forums as of late. Good to see!!

mccombie_5
10-25-05, 04:02 PM
new to this lounge and must have missed alot of negative issues here but i'm happy to be part of the group and hopefully makes lots of friends.

Welcome to the Lounge, you will make many friends round here.

:wave:

:welcome:

Nice to see some of the CTS guys down here.

RobertCTS
10-25-05, 04:17 PM

McC,
He's a CTS-V guy. You're gonna make him angry! Did you see his face? He could eat you alive!!:shocked2:

:welcome: to the Forum CTS Vette :yup: :xgrin: :bouncy: It's a neat place to hang out.:D

mccombie_5
10-25-05, 04:19 PM

McC,
He's a CTS-V guy. You're gonna make him angry! Did you see his face? He could eat you alive!!:shocked2:

:welcome: to the Forum CTS Vette :yup: :xgrin: :bouncy: It's a neat place to hang out.:D

eeeek

Sorry CTS-VETTE

Dont eat me

Please

I have a family

And a seceratary;)

:hide:

addison_ii
10-25-05, 05:13 PM
new to this lounge and must have missed alot of negative issues here but i'm happy to be part of the group and hopefully makes lots of friends.Every give a warm :welcome: to CTS-VETTE 550HP !! Nice to have you join us here. We may seem strange at first but eventually you'll be assimilated. Resistance is futile!! :D

urbanski
10-25-05, 05:36 PM
:cool:

RobertCTS
10-25-05, 05:53 PM
Every give a warm :welcome: to CTS-VETTE 550HP !! Nice to have you join us here. We may seem strange at first but eventually you'll be assimilated. Resistance is futile!! :D

You and Urbanski are both welcome. Feel free to greet us with our Forum wave. :tease:

Adam
10-25-05, 06:20 PM
[quote=RobertCTS]

eeeek

Sorry CTS-VETTE

Dont eat me

Please

I have a family

And a seceratary;)

:hide:

WHAT?!?!?! youre rich, you could pay to have him whacked or something :rolleyes: .

ah, welcome V friends!

mccombie_5
10-25-05, 06:24 PM
[quote=mccombie_5]
WHAT?!?!?! youre rich, you could pay to have him whacked or something :rolleyes: .
ah, welcome V friends!

I'll just invite him into my *darkened* study, oh my, there seems to be polythene on the floor.......

i wonder why....

Krashed989
10-25-05, 06:28 PM
You and Urbanski are both welcome. Feel free to greet us with our Forum wave. :tease:

:tease: :nyanya: just wavin to everyone...

Adam
10-25-05, 07:34 PM
I'll just invite him into my *darkened* study, oh my, there seems to be polythene on the floor.......

i wonder why....

LOL. "this is a nice place man."

"Thanks."

"What's that in your hand?"

"A pipe wrench."

"What for?"

"I've uh, got some plumbing to do. Here, uh, have a drink. Did you see my model car collection." *CTS Vette turns Craig adds arsenic to drink*

"Here's that drink."

"Hey thanks... all this time i thought you were gonna ki..." *thump*

Craig goes and works on his plumbing.

Ha, just kidding man, we are actually friendly here, just joking with ya.

mccombie_5
10-25-05, 07:50 PM
LOL. "this is a nice place man."
"Thanks."
"What's that in your hand?"
"A pipe wrench."
"What for?"
"I've uh, got some plumbing to do. Here, uh, have a drink. Did you see my model car collection." *CTS Vette turns Craig adds arsenic to drink*
"Here's that drink."
"Hey thanks... all this time i thought you were gonna ki..." *thump*
Craig goes and works on his plumbing.
Ha, just kidding man, we are actually friendly here, just joking with ya.

LOL!!!

:histeric:

94RM
10-25-05, 08:41 PM
I'm with you, although I have been a member only a few months I have
learned quite a bit from reading the different posts and threads , and visit
almost every day even though I do not post often.

I have done my own work on my vehicles for the past 10 years without
having to take them to a dealer.

Keep up the good work.
Dave B

mccombie_5
10-25-05, 08:46 PM
I'm with you, although I have been a member only a few months I have
learned quite a bit from reading the different posts and threads , and visit
almost every day even though I do not post often.

I have done my own work on my vehicles for the past 10 years without
having to take them to a dealer.

Keep up the good work.
Dave B

Welcome to the forums, and welcome to the Lounge. Even if you have no reason to post in the technical or model related forums, feel free to come down to the Lounge and post here, we have some fun, and it is a place to relax, and even chat about other automotive brands.

Once again welcome

:wave:

:welcome:

dbdartman
10-25-05, 09:11 PM
Well, I'm new to this forum, but not new to the net. I've been a moderator on a VERY popular Mopar board for 5 or 6 years now, & watched that place grow from a core of about 12-15 people, to a daily "core" of about 2-300. As a matter of fact, if you go there most any evening, you'll find 350+ people browsing/posting. We've gone through it all: Personal vendettas, board wars, cyber attacks & of course, the ever-present "trouble-maker" du jure. The only real "rules" are: NO politics, NO religion, NO profanity (implied or otherwise), & NO personal attacks. This board (the lounge) is still small, from my prespective, & I'm not really seeing the problem the same way you vets are, simply because I don't spend THAT MUCH time here & don't know that many people.

I agree with whoever posted that the rating system, in the long run, won't work out. I also agree that post counts CAN cause problems with certain people, but it's also a useful tool at times as you can sometimes (BUT NOT ALWAYS) gauge a person based on this.

The biggest trouble I've become aware of, when dealing with a board that's getting popular, is dealing with the lowest common denominator: The bigger the board gets, the lower the common denominator (it only takes 1 immature outburst to inspire those that would otherwise barely control themselves to lose that control, & things spiral down from there).

On the one hand, I really want to say, "Stony, I've got your 6", but on the other hand, I want to say, "Stony, I think you're over-reacting just a little", but I can't do that either... :ill: So I think I'll go & tell another story. :dance:

Stoneage_Caddy
10-25-05, 09:34 PM
LOL ....well i certanly dont like to overreact but judgeing by the reponses here , in pm and in comments on feedback this thread is serveing the purpose i had in mine for it....so far its going according to plan ....

TomDeville
10-25-05, 09:43 PM
Dear Esteemed Friends,

I support you Sir Stone.

I hereby respectfully contend and
assert that with strict adherence to
a code of conduct founded
upon fundamental principles
which embrace the paramouncy
of civility and self regulation, we
as a group will eliminate, what some
have considered to be, toxic and
meansprited exchanges rooted
in both malice and spite.

Kindest Regards,

TomDeville:cool2:
:cool2:

LittleB
10-25-05, 09:57 PM
Dear Esteemed Friends,
I support you Sir Stone.
I hereby respectfully contend and
assert that with strict adherence to
a code of conduct founded
upon fundamental principles
which embrace the paramouncy
of civility and self regulation, we
as a group will eliminate, what some
have considered to be, toxic and
meansprited exchanges rooted
in both malice and spite.
Kindest Regards,
TomDeville:cool2:
:cool2:

:worship: :worship: :D

Ralph
10-25-05, 11:48 PM
I shall adhere to the "code" and a truce shall be started NOW on MY part. I will hope the same is returned or we might be right back in the dumpster. If someone dings someone, be man enough to sign it and it can be discussed. No more spite dings by anyone, that's done with....

I apologize for the high strung emotion involved in this situation, so lets move foreward beyond this...

LittleB
10-25-05, 11:51 PM
RALPHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I missed you :D

Ralph
10-25-05, 11:52 PM
RALPHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I missed you :D

Back at ya Babe. Oops, now Devillish will be hunting for Canuck.:hide: :suspense:

LittleB
10-25-05, 11:55 PM
Back at ya Babe. Oops, now Devillish will be hunting for Canuck.:hide: :suspense:

Nahhhhhhhhhhhh ;) LOL it was like 1 day and I am talkin about how I missed you. HAHAHAHA!

Stoneage_Caddy
10-25-05, 11:57 PM
i hear there in season ......they are done migrateing down here .....and the hurricane didnt even make a dent .....they even came down on motorcycles this year ......

time to thin the heard

Ralph
10-26-05, 12:05 AM
i hear there in season ......they are done migrateing down here .....and the hurricane didnt even make a dent .....they even came down on motorcycles this year ......
time to thin the heard

I also heard that the hurricane drove many American hunters up north, and that's also having a positive effect on their hunting, and our tourism industry.:sneaky:

90Brougham350
10-26-05, 01:32 AM
Cadillac is the standard of the world. Cadillacforums.com is the standard of the world wide web. With a little hard work, we have the ability to make Cadillacforums.com one of the most respected and well-known automobile forums on the internet. It's possible, we're onto a good start! :thumbsup:

powerglide
10-26-05, 02:46 AM
One other thing occured to me last night.....in the middle of the night there were 20 registered memebrs online and 200 'guests' browsing around......and suddenly I became consious and a bit embarrassed. The guests must be wondering 'whats wrong with us'.

HotRodSaint
10-26-05, 11:18 AM
I shall adhere to the "code" and a truce shall be started NOW on MY part. I will hope the same is returned or we might be right back in the dumpster. If someone dings someone, be man enough to sign it and it can be discussed. No more spite dings by anyone, that's done with....
I apologize for the high strung emotion involved in this situation, so lets move foreward beyond this...

I'll accept that for what it is, and move forward.

HotRodSaint
10-26-05, 11:21 AM
One other thing occured to me last night.....in the middle of the night there were 20 registered memebrs online and 200 'guests' browsing around......and suddenly I became consious and a bit embarrassed. The guests must be wondering 'whats wrong with us'.

Those guests might be search engine spiders, and they'd be jealous that we are all humans!! :)

RobertCTS
10-26-05, 11:23 AM
Fingers are crossed for you both.http://nontheists.quaker.org/peace_dove.gif

Elvis
10-26-05, 11:25 AM
Cadillac is the standard of the world. Cadillacforums.com is the standard of the world wide web. With a little hard work, we have the ability to make Cadillacforums.com one of the most respected and well-known automobile forums on the internet. It's possible, we're onto a good start! :thumbsup:

What is this "work" you speak of? :hmm:

70eldo
10-26-05, 11:49 AM
Hi there!

I came to this forum when I needed some information on my CTS. I found it among the posts of the CTS section and I like to hang out there ever since when I am bored at work (hence the odd times that I post since I am in Europe, some time zones ahead).

I don't do any other forums much, other than the forums of my football team (I play amateur tackle football; RB), but I must say you gathered a nice collection of helpful people!

Also on the other forum that I post on I also see a tendancy of negativism. People easily misread, but people also place comments more often. Not always meant to be mean, but since people use email, forums, chats and even text messaging on mobile phones more and more, you tend to place your first thought in a message/post. Like you would do in a normal conversation, but with the right intonation, so you express your correct emotion with that. That way your pun or joke is understood as something not to be taken serious or hurtful. But with text only you can easily be misunderstood. I am very happy with the smilies, as they can support your expression.

I don't know. Maybe people are also more on their toes lately. They act more paranoic. I hope we can all be friends here, eventhough even friends can have a fight sometimes.

I don't think you will ever find me posting something that offends someone personal. See, I don't know you people in person so I would always try to see the bright side of everyone (tune of 'Life of Brian'). Besides, for me the forum is a really small part of my life and I would always like to get the best out of it and give the best in return.

So I am with you!

RobertCTS
10-26-05, 12:08 PM
Hi there!

I came to this forum when I needed some information on my CTS. I found it among the posts of the CTS section and I like to hang out there ever since when I am bored at work (hence the odd times that I post since I am in Europe, some time zones ahead).

I don't do any other forums much, other than the forums of my football team (I play amateur tackle football; RB), but I must say you gathered a nice collection of helpful people!

Also on the other forum that I post on I also see a tendancy of negativism. People easily misread, but people also place comments more often. Not always meant to be mean, but since people use email, forums, chats and even text messaging on mobile phones more and more, you tend to place your first thought in a message/post. Like you would do in a normal conversation, but with the right intonation, so you express your correct emotion with that. That way your pun or joke is understood as something not to be taken serious or hurtful. But with text only you can easily be misunderstood. I am very happy with the smilies, as they can support your expression.

I don't know. Maybe people are also more on their toes lately. They act more paranoic. I hope we can all be friends here, eventhough even friends can have a fight sometimes.

I don't think you will ever find me posting something that offends someone personal. See, I don't know you people in person so I would always try to see the bright side of everyone (tune of 'Life of Brian'). Besides, for me the forum is a really small part of my life and I would always like to get the best out of it and give the best in return.

So I am with you!

Well spoken Eldo. Good to see you down here in the Lounge. Not a lot of CTS specific topics but a lot of fun and unual topics. SeeYa in the CTS Forum. I left U some Luv Pts for your kind words.

90Brougham350
10-26-05, 02:27 PM
What is this "work" you speak of? :hmm:

Keeping moral up, keeping topics clean and fun and on top, recruiting new members, getting existing members to become supporting members, and so on! :)

ben72227
10-26-05, 06:49 PM
Well guys, we got the history topic stickied in General Discussion, I'd like all of you guys to check it out, as its pretty neat...