: New computer.....anyone running a dual monitor system?

powerglide
10-24-05, 07:24 PM
I used to have use 4 flat screens at work and got so used to it, now I am cramped with just one.

Since my home computer is in need of being replaced I was gonna buy a desktop with two 19 inch flat panels.

Any suggestions or advice?

I was gonna go with Dell......good luck with them in the past.

Should I wait till year end for more sales? (I think Dell's fiscal ends Jan30)

VGA (analog) monitors vs DVI (digital monitors)......Windows Home or Pro?

So many things to consider...

terrible one
10-24-05, 07:25 PM
I used to run one with dual 17's, but I build my own. Not a big fan of Dell.

mccombie_5
10-24-05, 07:29 PM
My office has six 19" flatpanels running from the same unit, We use all Dell.

powerglide
10-24-05, 07:59 PM
I used to run one with dual 17's, but I build my own. Not a big fan of Dell.

Good thing you can do that.....I've never built one.
I'm guessing its not terribly difficult _especially after all the work I did on my Northstar :)

Why dislike Dell?

HP/Compaq any better? (my buddy works there so I can get a discount)

powerglide
10-24-05, 08:01 PM
My office has six 19" flatpanels running from the same unit, We use all Dell.

Damned! Thats alot off of one computer!?! I've never seen a video car with more than two plugs.

So do all six act like one bigscreen monitor? (like you can hit the expand icon and this web page will expand to fill all six?)

ben72227
10-24-05, 08:01 PM
I would have told you to get a Dell, but mine has given me some problems (that I later found out were widespread). My harddrive and Dell Optical Mouse both failed, the mouse was only a $25 replacement, but the hard drive was much more expensive. They use some cheap parts, and sometimes they fail.

If you're getting a windows system, go with Alienware or Sony. But if I were you, I'd get an iMac with Mac OS X Tiger. We just got one at school (I'm on newspaper staff) and those things are phenomenal. It really is true what they say about how Apples are better than windows. The only thing I don't like (it just takes some getting used to) is the one button mouse, but other than that, its great. No need for virus protection, no worrying about system lock ups or the blue screen of death. I'd definately look into one if I were you. It really depends what you want it for though...

If you play games on your computer, go with the Alienware. If NEED a windows computer, there's nothing wrong with dells, but Sonys are better (and more expensive). But make sure you look into those Apple computers. My next one will definately be either an Alienware or an Apple...

powerglide
10-24-05, 08:11 PM
I would have told you to get a Dell, but mine has given me some problems (that I later found out were widespread). My harddrive and Dell Optical Mouse both failed, the mouse was only a $25 replacement, but the hard drive was much more expensive. They use some cheap parts, and sometimes they fail.

If you're getting a windows system, go with Alienware or Sony. But if I were you, I'd get an iMac with Mac OS X Tiger. We just got one at school (I'm on newspaper staff) and those things are phenomenal. It really is true what they say about how Apples are better than windows. The only thing I don't like (it just takes some getting used to) is the one button mouse, but other than that, its great. No need for virus protection, no worrying about system lock ups or the blue screen of death. I'd definately look into one if I were you. It really depends what you want it for though...

If you play games on your computer, go with the Alienware. If NEED a windows computer, there's nothing wrong with dells, but Sonys are better (and more expensive). But make sure you look into those Apple computers. My next one will definately be either an Alienware or an Apple...

I love those iMacs they are slick! Combined with wireless mouse and keyboard, its a work of art. the thing I dont like is that the monitor can computer are melded in away that later obn you can't just buy a new CPU and use the iMac as a passive monitor.

Sony's are cool looking but I have heard bad things about em......eitherway too expensive! (my dad has a Sony TR-3 superlight tiny thing, literally lighter than most books)

I've seen Alien's ads....they remind me of civics with neon and huge wings....

I'm not even sure if I should get a desktop....I have been buying notebook after notebook and thinking about switching back (mainly for the dual monitor bizness) + I want to use it for work, which is very graphics and computationally intensive. Also, I am not allowed to conect to the firms network using wirless-anything. So even if its a laptop, I'll have to hard wire it hence losing the mobility.

....decisions

PS I just saw on Cosco that they sell Dells much cheaper than Dell! (even if you pay the 45$ membership fee, its a pretty good deal)

slk230mb
10-24-05, 08:15 PM
If you go Dell, just get the 3 year warranty. It's good piece of mind for the price. I would go with dual 19" flat panels, DVI. I would recommend XP Professional, and at least 1 gig of RAM.

Jon
10-24-05, 08:17 PM
I've been running dual 20" Dell LCDs for a couple years, I love'm. Go Dell.

ben72227
10-24-05, 08:17 PM
You could always get a powermac, but they are really expensive...or a Mac mini:thumbsup:

Alienware's are a bit colorful, but they do make the best windows computers that money can buy. As you may have noticed, Dell is trying to compete with them by having the XPS series of Dells, but Alienwares are so beyond Dell its a joke. They are THE cutting edge in windows computers, all of the major gamers use them. They offer AMD processors too, which (as of my knowledge) Dell doesn't...

powerglide
10-24-05, 08:19 PM
If you go Dell, just get the 3 year warranty. It's good piece of mind for the price. I would go with dual 19" flat panels, DVI. I would recommend XP Professional, and at least 1 gig of RAM.

you're reading my mind.

For some reason (terminal server token?) company network wont work unless its windows pro.

Gotta have minimum 1 Gig RAM (probably better closer to 4 Gigs like my office machine...but I will buy those later and chepaer somewhere else)

Why the warranty though? (My current Dell, I paid top dollar for 3 year and never called em once)

Also, I am not seeing many machines with DUAL DVI ports. Theyre usually one DVI one VGA, and Dell says you can buy a 12 dollar converter that takes the DVI and converts to VGA so you can run dual VGA (I want dual DVI!)
Are they hard to find? Or am I missing something?

mccombie_5
10-24-05, 08:27 PM

I dont look upon Dell as a home use computer you see, my computers are for work. My older son has an Apple Power Mac G5 Quad (i think, dont quote me on that, it could be wrong) and he says its great for a mixture of home and work (hes a student), my wife has a Samsung P40 notebook, and my two younger kids (16&15) have a Samsung X1 notebook between them.

Samsung is very good as far as my family are concerned.

My notebook is a DELL XPS M170 and it does the job brilliantly

slk230mb
10-24-05, 08:29 PM
you're reading my mind.
For some reason (terminal server token?) company network wont work unless its windows pro.
Gotta have minimum 1 Gig RAM (probably better closer to 4 Gigs like my office machine...but I will buy those later and chepaer somewhere else)
Why the warranty though? (My current Dell, I paid top dollar for 3 year and never called em once)
Also, I am not seeing many machines with DUAL DVI ports. Theyre usually one DVI one VGA, and Dell says you can buy a 12 dollar converter that takes the DVI and converts to VGA so you can run dual VGA (I want dual DVI!)
Are they hard to find? Or am I missing something?

At work we use all Dell, and if I ever buy Dell again I'll getting the warranty. (I'm way more likely to build my own again.) I've seen too many harddrives/cd-roms/floppy failures. There are some dual dvi cards out there, but they aren't that popular yet. XP Home lacks many of the networking components/protocols that domain access requires. BTW, what are you doing that you need 4 gigs of RAM?

powerglide
10-24-05, 08:35 PM
I've been running dual 20" Dell LCDs for a couple years, I love'm. Go Dell.

Whats your system set up?

Do you have two digital 20's (DVI)?

Did you have to get special adapter or graphics card?

mmmmmmmm dual 20's thats what I really wanted (dell was selling their 20.5 inch wide screens for 400 bucks for a while there but no longer as I can see)

powerglide
10-24-05, 08:38 PM
At work we use all Dell, and if I ever buy Dell again I'll getting the warranty. (I'm way more likely to build my own again.) I've seen too many harddrives/cd-roms/floppy failures. There are some dual dvi cards out there, but they aren't that popular yet. XP Home lacks many of the networking components/protocols that domain access requires. BTW, what are you doing that you need 4 gigs of RAM?

We do aerospace engineering simulations. Lots of numerical computations and then some heavy duty graphical pre/post processing. even with all this computer muscle, some of my jobs take days to come back with results.

slk230mb
10-24-05, 08:41 PM
We do aerospace engineering simulations. Lots of numerical computations and then some heavy duty graphical pre/post processing. even with all this computer muscle, some of my jobs take days to come back with results.

Understandable then.

powerglide
10-24-05, 08:43 PM
Understandable then.

....not to mention I need this forum to load as fast as possible :)

terrible one
10-24-05, 08:48 PM
I dislike Dell because besides they crappy base model computers, it's a rip-off. I put my system on their website and the price was over $5k and I built it for under 2k.
Alienware is even worse.

Just my two cents

Jesda
10-24-05, 08:50 PM
Samsung rocks for clarity and contrast.

terrible one
10-24-05, 09:00 PM
Yeah I have a Samsung SyncMaster 710N, great monitor for gaming, no ghosting to speak of.

Ralph
10-24-05, 09:14 PM
Dells have had some bad issues lately that I've heard about. Also, my uncle bought a new one and it gave him a lot of trouble. Often the parts they use are cheap, and it's almost better one would think to get a custom made computer where you can select your parts.

Don't know about monitors.

terrible one
10-24-05, 09:27 PM
Yeah, they use plenty of cheap parts. Thats how they get to offer you these "great deals"

This is the computer I built after selling off my awesome watercooled one. It cost $1200 to make and is about 8x better than my friends $3k alienware (no joke).

For those who know about it, it's got a 6800 Ultra, overclocked, AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor, a gig of Corsair RAM, Seagate 250 gig SATA main drive, WD 60 gig Caviar IDE secondary drive, NEC DVD/CD/CDR-RW burner, Off brand CD burner, Thermaltake 480W power supply, and not in the picture a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card :cool2:

Ralph
10-24-05, 09:31 PM
Yeah, they use plenty of cheap parts. Thats how they get to offer you these "great deals"
This is the computer I built after selling off my awesome watercooled one. It cost $1200 to make and is about 8x better than my friends $3k alienware (no joke).
For those who know about it, it's got a 6800 Ultra, overclocked, AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor, a gig of Corsair RAM, Seagate 250 gig SATA main drive, WD 60 gig Caviar IDE secondary drive, NEC DVD/CD/CDR-RW burner, Off brand CD burner, Thermaltake 480W power supply, and not in the picture a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card :cool2:

WOW!! Now that's power and beauty! I bet you don't even have to wait for a page change on the forum......I love my AMD 2800 I bought a year ago, very fast, excellent reliability although the first one I had was defective but I insisted on a new one under warrents and it was replaced. They were going to simply de-install everything on the hard-drive, but I wanted a new different one because who knows if the problem would have come back or not.

It's never crashed or anything.

terrible one
10-24-05, 10:00 PM
Yeah it, along with DSL is extremly fast. Good for games as well. However, the old one was about 3x faster, but much more expensive. Needed some Cadillac money so I had to sell it. I'll try and find some pictures of it.

terrible one
10-24-05, 10:07 PM
Heres a pic of the old one...watercooled.

JC316
10-24-05, 10:19 PM
I cannot STAND any premade computer from a franchise. I had a HP, by the time it was over I had the tech support phone number memorized. All of the franchises use inadequate heatsinks so they run hot. My HP 600MHZ Celeron ran at 69C, that is wayyyy too hot. When they run hot it causes instability and crashing. If you don't want to build you own, I would try www.cyberpowerinc.com (http://www.cyberpowerinc.com). They are really cheap and have great support and reviews.

powerglide
10-24-05, 10:25 PM
Looks like cyberpower is all about gaming?

You guys are making me think about building one........is it easy?

How did you learn?

terrible one
10-24-05, 10:25 PM
Yeah i had to add a real fan to the heatsink of my parents old dell probe measured it at 70*C

With the watercooling the overclocked Athlon stayed at a cool 22*C

With the current rig the overclocked Athlon stayes at around 35-40*C with the Thermaltake copper heatsink.

terrible one
10-24-05, 10:27 PM
Looks like cyberpower is all about gaming?

You guys are making me think about building one........is it easy?

How did you learn?

From a friend. Then became better at him and far more superior. If you want, give me a budget and I can give you parts that will give you the fastest computer for the price, guaranteed to beat the Dell in the same pricerange by far. They are easy to build until you factor in RAIDS, the water cooling, overclocking, etc. But we won't get into that :)

powerglide
10-24-05, 10:34 PM
Thanks man, let me think about is some more and I wil definitley let you know if i decide to go that route.

I love making things so its tempting....then again I can imagine hours of frustration....

terrible one
10-24-05, 10:36 PM
Sounds cool.

Very rare that you will get hours of frustration, especially with someone walking you through it. Assembling a computer is really rather simple. If you have to troubleshoot that long, one of the components is a dud.

ben72227
10-24-05, 11:28 PM
terrible one, I've always wanted to build a computer, but I didn't know who made the best parts and such. Could you recommend some parts for me?:

I want to build around an ATI Radeon® X850 XT Platinum Edition 256MB AGP. You know, so how much memory, how big of a hard drive, etc... And if you don't mind, could you list all of the part you'd think I'd need and total price... (i.e. tower, mouse, keyboard, and stuff we might otherwise "forget" about...)
Thanks - you can PM me if you want...

terrible one
10-24-05, 11:36 PM
Hey, just to get you going, the X 850XT is a great choice. However, I noticed that you said AGP. If you are building one from scratch (which is highly recommended) I would go with the newer technology, PCI-E, or PCI Express. Offers much more bandwidth than AGP and teh cards cost about the same price.

Also, even with the games and apps today, a gig of good clocking RAM will do you fine. There will be a point when games actually require 2 gigs, but right now that is really only useful during video editing.

For hard drives, I recommend a 200 or 250 gig SATA drive (gigs come cheap right now) and a 74 gig WD Raptor drive. The raptor spins at 10,000RPM instead of the normal 7k, so it is extremly fast. You will want to store games and large applications on the Raptor drive, as they will load lighting fast.

I'll send you a PM if you want, but I would prefer e-mail, or AIM if you have it. You can post or PM me your e-mail or AIM if you have either. If not I'll PM you all of my suggestions. However, as I mentioned earlier, it's easiest to have a budget or at least a ballpark figure to go on.

ben72227
10-24-05, 11:49 PM
ben72227@hotmail.com, and the budget would be hmmm. probably less than $1500. Of course, i can always go down to a Radeon X800, or do you think Nvidia cards are better? I've heard good reviews about the GForce 6800, but I've also heard the X800 is a better card, so what do you think?

terrible one
10-24-05, 11:57 PM
Alright I'll try to get an e-mail out by tomorrow. $1500 is a good budget. What's it centered towards? Gaming? I like nvidia cards but the X800XT is just as good.

ben72227
10-25-05, 12:06 AM
Yes, mainly gaming. I'd like one of those flat screen monitors too (if you can fit it in the budget) I don't need a big one, 15 inches will suffice.

terrible one
10-25-05, 12:07 AM
I can fit the same one I have in easily. As I stated earlier, no ghosting, extremly nice for an LCD.

ben72227
10-25-05, 12:12 AM
Ok, go ahead and email me then:) And as a token of my appreciation to a fellow Arkie, "Woo Pig Sooie!":lildevil:

terrible one
10-25-05, 12:28 AM
Haha, right on man.

danbuc
10-25-05, 01:22 AM
Hehe...I was gonna run dual 19" flat panels, but I ran out of money. After buying the first Sony SDM-HX93, my funds dwindled pretty low and I couldn't afford the second. What I lacked in Monitor (only one 19"), I made up for in the computer itself. Sony DL DVD-RW, Lite-On DVD-RW, Samsung 52x CD, 1gb Kingtson Ram (still looking for another gig), ATI Radeon 9600XT (fan just went, built a custom shroud for it), Maxtor 200gb SATA drive (looking for another) Maxtor 200gb One-touch II (when I need to backup files, or transfer), Pentium 4 3.0Ghz w/HT, built in SATA Raid controler (included with Gigabyte motherboard) for when I get that second SATA drive), ASUS Tuner card with S-Video/Composite input, built in SPDIF in/out and firewire port (inlcuded with mother board as well), and a 500W Arrow Power Supply. At the moment, I'm running this current monitor via DVI. If I need a second monitor to multitask, I usually just turn on the old IBM T22 and throw in the Wireless PCMCIA card. As far as operating systems go, I just re-installed dmine after using drive scrubber to wipe the drive. I swithed from XP-Pro to XP-Corp. On a side note, I've also got my Sony Net-MD minidisc deck wired into my compuer so I can burn, listen to, and transfer MD music right to my computer. Never could figure out why that stuff never cought on, it's big in Europe and Asia..hehe.

If you really want a nice computer with all the features your looking for, I would suggest building one yourself. It will save you money, and allow you to choose what you want to put into it. As fasr as Dell monitors are concerned, I haven't heard anything bad, but I also haven't heard anything good, so that could swing either way. My Sony has run like clockwork for over a year and a half now with very little off time. Still works like the day I took it out of the packaging. I also got a really good warranty for 3 years I think, which covers replacement even if one pixel goes bad. I've got one bad pixel now, but with the resolution I'm using you don't even notice it. I think just before the warranty runs out, I bring it in and get it replaced..hehe.

Jon
10-25-05, 02:28 AM
Whats your system set up?

Do you have two digital 20's (DVI)?

Did you have to get special adapter or graphics card?

mmmmmmmm dual 20's thats what I really wanted (dell was selling their 20.5 inch wide screens for 400 bucks for a while there but no longer as I can see)
I got it a while ago, so it's not dual DVI. one is DVI, one is VGA. I'm using a GeForce Ti4600.

powerglide
10-25-05, 02:45 AM
I was wondering when you have two monitors one vga and one dvi, can you tell the difference side by side?

JC316
10-25-05, 04:36 AM
Man that is a sweet system.
I am running a Amd athlon xp 3000+ Barton core, 512MB pc2100, 120GB WD 7200RPM HD, Geforce 5900 and personally stripped down version of windows XP. I run Doom 3's timedemo at 42FPS on HIGH with the Ultra Extreme Quality mod. I can run UT2004 with everyathing on smooth as silk and I never had a slowdown with far cry. I had my video card and CPU overclocked, but I ran into heat and stability issues, so I backed down to normal. Plus I have performance programs like cache man and I have many tweaks done, so I have a pretty mean system. The one thing that concerns me is the fact that I run 50C under load with a window fan running on it, but I have heard that it is normal for the Barton.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
10-25-05, 05:04 AM
I've got a dual processor Apple Powermac running 2 23" widescreen Apple monitors. 2GB of RAM, 2x500GB internal drives in a RAID 0 stripe for speed.
Backs up nightly to an external pair of 500GB firewire drives (bootable).

The new G5 quad that was released a couple of days ago lets you use up to 8 displays. As Apple make 30" monitors that's a lot of real estate!

powerglide
10-25-05, 05:09 AM
What do you think of this system?

(Yeah I know.....totally off the shelf)

Dell 9100 (Media Center) DC 3.0GHz 1GB 250GB
DVDRW DVD 20" WS DVI
$300 Off Reflected in Price
Dual TV Tuner
DVR Capability No Monthly Fees
128MB ATI Radeon X300 SE
3-Year Warranty
$1,699.99

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?ec=BC-EC5-Cat84&pos=1&whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11029684

I dont see the 9100 on Dell.com....is it an old model?

I'd have to buy a copy of XP pro (reqd by my company for netwrok access), and maybe later on buy anothe 20.5 inch monitor when Dell has the end of year 399$ sale.

terrible one
10-25-05, 08:59 AM

DVDRW DVD 20" WS DVI
Dual TV Tuner
128MB ATI Radeon X300 SE
3-Year Warranty
$1,699.99

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?ec=BC-EC5-Cat84&pos=1&whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11029684

I'd have to buy a copy of XP pro (reqd by my company for netwrok access), and maybe later on buy anothe 20.5 inch monitor when Dell has the end of year 399$ sale.

Pretty much everything it doesn't list will be utter crap. The video card is for starts, but you can expect a crappy case, power supply, motherboard, RAM, and hard drive. Notice how that is about $400 more than the computer I built and posted a picture of. Build your own....

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
10-25-05, 09:09 AM
Building your own is so easy.

Motherboard screws into case with say 8(ish) screws.
Plug in cable from PSU (ready fitted in case) to motherboard.

Remove blanking plate from front of case and slide in DVD drive and secure with 4 screws.
Plug in power cable to drive, and connect drive to motherboard using IDE cable.

Place hard drive in tray/shelf and attach with 4 screws.
Plug in power cable to drive, and connect drive to motherboard using SATA cable.

Plug graphics card into motherboard and secure using 1 screw.

Plug ram into motherboard.

Put processor on motherboard, spread a very thin layer of thermal transfer paste on top, place heatsink/fan combo on top and screw down (unless heatsink and cpu arrive already attatched to each other). Plug fan into motherboard.

Put lid back on case.

Hook up keyboard, mouse and screen, attach computer to mains power and turn on and enjoy.

That's actually pretty much it (give or take).

terrible one
10-25-05, 09:15 AM
Building your own is so easy.

Motherboard screws into case with say 8(ish) screws.
Plug in cable from PSU (ready fitted in case) to motherboard.

Remove blanking plate from front of case and slide in DVD drive and secure with 4 screws.
Plug in power cable to drive, and connect drive to motherboard using IDE cable.

Place hard drive in tray/shelf and attach with 4 screws.
Plug in power cable to drive, and connect drive to motherboard using SATA cable.

Plug graphics card into motherboard and secure using 1 screw.

Plug ram into motherboard.

Put processor on motherboard, spread a very thin layer of thermal transfer paste on top, place heatsink/fan combo on top and screw down (unless heatsink and cpu arrive already attatched to each other). Plug fan into motherboard.

Put lid back on case.

Hook up keyboard, mouse and screen, attach computer to mains power and turn on and enjoy.

That's actually pretty much it (give or take).

He's got it absolutly right, not hard at all.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
10-25-05, 09:24 AM
I should mention you may also need to plug in your sound card (if you bought one seperate) but that goes in just like the graphics card.

And there will be come cables to connect the front on/off buttons and lights etc to the motherboard. But these will be labeled so just plug the connector labelled, for example, "reset", into the socket on the motherbaord labelled "reset".
Very simply really.

If you're happy with a screwdriver and plugging connectors into sockets then there is no reason not to do it yourself.
You'll also learn loads and be able to fix things in future instead of being at the mercy of computer companies.

If you know someone who is hot with computers just buy the parts and pay him $100 to put it together and install Windows for you.
You'll pay loads less than DELL and the like and get something quicker.

And just because it's home made doesn't mean it needs to look ****. You can get some very nice aluminium cases nowadays.

slk230mb
10-25-05, 11:53 AM
DVDRW DVD 20" WS DVI
Dual TV Tuner
128MB ATI Radeon X300 SE
3-Year Warranty
$1,699.99

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_desktops?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

That's the link for the 9100 on Dells site, but I agree with terrible one, build it yourself.

Since we are all sharing PCs mine is self built with:
Windows XP Professional
Antec Super-LAN Boy case, aluminum and light-weight. I have the LEDs removed from the front fan
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
P4 2.6 with HHT and 800mhx FSB
Intel D875PBZ Motherboard
1 gig Corsair RAM (adding another gig when the price goes down)
SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Logitech 5.1 speakers
Sony DVD-ROM (model # escapes me)
Sony DVD-RW (again, model # escapes me)
ATI TV Wonder Pro
Viewsonic VA720
80gig WD HDD - IDE (OS and apps)
120gig WD HDD - IDE (music)
300gig SATA RAID 0 (videos, music backup, and my pagefile, made of 2 160WD SATA HDDs)
Logitech MX1000 Laser mouse
and a Wireless MS keyboard

JC316
10-25-05, 04:08 PM
Man that Dell system is crap. I built my above mentioned system for $400 bucks a year and a half ago. The hardest part about building your own, is installing the heatsink and getting over your nerves . It feels like you are going to break the motherboard, or screw something up, but you won't. If you do decide to build one, make sure you get a antishock bracelet.

PAW 47
10-25-05, 05:44 PM
Well, I have two computers..on my desk. And I love Samsung monitors/flat panels..

I have a 17" Syncmaster 711T (Digital version of the 710N) which I use for e-mail/websurfing and VOIP hosting. Its a AMD Athlon 800 with a gig of ram, w/ Raid 0 and 128 ATI 9700.

And then my 21" Dynaflat Monitor with my monster a AMD 64FX 3500+ 2gig ram. Twin Maxtor 10,000 RPM SATA drives..and of course an ATI 256MB video card..

I would suggest Windows XP Pro.. you can do more with it then XP Home..

terrible one
10-25-05, 06:02 PM
Samsung is at the top of my list.

Pro has no more features than home other than networking related features and a few extra things that no one will come across during normal use anyways.

fast66
10-25-05, 08:55 PM
Dells customer support suck

PAW 47
10-25-05, 09:31 PM
Dells customer support suck

Amen..:thumbsup:

danbuc
10-25-05, 10:45 PM
Man that is a sweet system.
I am running a Amd athlon xp 3000+ Barton core, 512MB pc2100, 120GB WD 7200RPM HD, Geforce 5900 and personally stripped down version of windows XP. I run Doom 3's timedemo at 42FPS on HIGH with the Ultra Extreme Quality mod. I can run UT2004 with everyathing on smooth as silk and I never had a slowdown with far cry. I had my video card and CPU overclocked, but I ran into heat and stability issues, so I backed down to normal. Plus I have performance programs like cache man and I have many tweaks done, so I have a pretty mean system. The one thing that concerns me is the fact that I run 50C under load with a window fan running on it, but I have heard that it is normal for the Barton.

Hehe...Doom 3, Far Cry, and UT2004 are the three games that I play the most on my mahcine too. I'm waiting for my buddy to get me a the Sequel to Far Cry so I can play it.

powerglide
10-25-05, 10:59 PM
If you build your own and need tech support......do you need a computer builder version of caddyforums?

You guys really got me thinking about it, but I guess I am afraid to jump in.....I went to bestbuy and took a look at some components. There were so many little things I've never heard of......I need to get up to speed.

Anyone live near sandiego, wanna grab some beers and talk computer building? :)

terrible one
10-25-05, 11:53 PM
Powerglide, not in San Diego, but if you have any questions I can help you along. I promise it is extremly easy.

ben72227
10-26-05, 01:06 AM
terrible one, i'm still waiting for that components list:confused:

email me at ben72227@hotmail.com, or if that doesn't work, you can always PM it to me. Thanks a lot man.:thumbsup:

slk230mb
10-26-05, 01:09 AM
If you build your own and need tech support......do you need a computer builder version of caddyforums?

You guys really got me thinking about it, but I guess I am afraid to jump in.....I went to bestbuy and took a look at some components. There were so many little things I've never heard of......I need to get up to speed.

Anyone live near sandiego, wanna grab some beers and talk computer building? :)

windowsbbs.com and google are very useful

powerglide
10-26-05, 01:17 AM
My friend and I had to reformat his machine and reinstall the operating system......holy smokes what a nightmare. We couldn;t install stuff cus the computer no longer had the drivers. we couldnt download them beacuse the computer did not recognize the modem because it didnt have the driver......we sweat it out for what seemed like 'days'.

Mechanically speaking, slapping the thing together is probably pretty easy, its the configuring I am concerned about.

Thanks terrible one & SLK, i am leaning more and more towards building now!

BTW, XP pro vs home vs media (edition?)

I need pro for networking to my office.
But I want the media version so I can use the DVR and such......is the media version any good?

Also, how easy, stable is it to install both OS?

Ralph
10-26-05, 01:21 AM
So I heard at the computer store today that past computers were 32 bit, but next year they will all supposedly be 64 bit to accomodate the Windows XP replacement.....is that accurate? I can't remember the name of XP's replacement...but I wonder how many bugs it will have.

powerglide
10-26-05, 01:23 AM
The so called longhorn.......I forgot what the new official name is.

Yeah, good point, is this 64 bit thing a must?

I was gonna get a 3GHZ "dual Core" pentiumD which I think is 32....

Ralph
10-26-05, 01:25 AM
The so called longhorn.......I forgot what the new official name is.

Yeah, good point, is this 64 bit thing a must?

I was gonna get a 3GHZ "dual Core" pentiumD which I think is 32....

Wait a year and supposedly they will all be 64, or so I was told by the cute computer girl today...if you're buying, might be worth waiting then...

It had a strange forgettable name and that's why I can't remember what she said it will be called.

powerglide
10-26-05, 01:28 AM
Ohh yeah Windows Vista!

.....I always wait at least a year when it comes to new OS.

I'm kind of limited by having to be totally compatible with my company......XP-Pro or bust!

Ralph
10-26-05, 01:31 AM
Ohh yeah Windows Vista!

Sounds right.....

I had Win. 98 just over a year ago on the old computer and at least you can still get upgrades off the Microsoft site. They're pretty good that way because they support their products for a long time...

ben72227
10-26-05, 01:33 AM
Supposedly this Windows Vista will pretty much blow the Mac OS X out of the water. Microsoft is promising to have 3D, translucent windows, so you can see through what your doing to whatever's going on underneath...:eek:

So for instance, you could type a word document and see throught it and read the Cadillac Forums :sneaky: They're also going to add some other cool stuff too, and I think they are completely overhauling Internet Explorer (not that it matters, since I use Firefox anyway...)

Ralph
10-26-05, 01:37 AM
What I heard about Windows that I don't care for is that it has a "black box."(or similar to) ANY site you go to, it is stored in your computer (if you use Explorer) and it cannot be deleted, even if you wipe the harddrive clean.....or so I was told. That's apparently why firefox is popular.....or one reason.

Vista is going to be much better for graphics...

ben72227
10-26-05, 01:52 AM
Hmmm. Never heard of the "black box":confused:

I use Firefox mainly because IE has too many security flaws for me to worry about and because I pretty much couldn't live without tabbed browsing:thumbsup: (It's a Firefox thing...:sneaky: )

Ralph
10-26-05, 01:53 AM
Hmmm. Never heard of the "black box":confused:

I use Firefox mainly because IE has too many security flaws for me to worry about and because I pretty much couldn't live without tabbed browsing:thumbsup: (It's a Firefox thing...:sneaky: )

Plus anything that is more popular or in use like Explorer will be the target of more hackers...How did you get firefox...off the net?

ben72227
10-26-05, 01:56 AM
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Ralph
10-26-05, 01:59 AM
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

OK, so, when you bought a new computer did you completely remove Explorer and install that off the net.....do you have to de-install the entire HD?

ben72227
10-26-05, 02:01 AM
No, I just left IE alone, installed Firefox and made it my "default browser". No problems since then. You need to make sure you have all of your windows updates though (thats just good practice)

Ralph
10-26-05, 02:04 AM
No, I just left IE alone, installed Firefox and made it my "default browser". No problems since then. You need to make sure you have all of your windows updates though (thats just good practice)

Interesting, and I'd love to see what it looks like. What are the major differences, for example, desktops, etc...What appears different and is it as easy to use...or is there even a difference..

ben72227
10-26-05, 02:10 AM
There's a difference alright. It's just better. It looks better, performs better, its just better. And once you get the hang of tabbed browsing, you won't want to go back to IE. Of course, you may not like it, but almost everyone that's tried it has switched over... It takes a bit longer to load than IE (since IE is embedded in the system and Firefox is just a normal program...)

powerglide
10-26-05, 02:42 AM
Ralph, go give firefox a try, I think you'll like it!

I read about it one day on this forum and decided to give it a try.

Now I will never use IE unless I absolutely have to (FTP)

This tabed browsing business is the BOMB! Basically you get one window open but you can have multiple pages open. You switch between them with 'tabs'.

I set it up so when I start firefox, it loads my yahoo, gmail, CF, CNN, drudgereport all in one shot. Beats the hell out of opening and togglign between multiple IE windows!

Its free, simple install and doesnt interefere with IE so you can leave it alone.

terrible one
10-26-05, 08:51 AM
Firefox is great. Don't have to deal with IE and it's letting spyware in.

As for Windows XP64, I had it as a secondary operating system (I have a 64 bit processor) to try out all of the beta builds they were doing. It was pretty cool. However, during normal use, etc, it isn't going to give you any improvement over 32 bit XP. This will come in most useful during video editing, etc.

slk230mb
10-26-05, 12:23 PM
Don't forget the forecast fox extension for Firefox, it's so damn useful.

powerglide
10-26-05, 12:34 PM
Spoke to my firms computer dude and his comment was:

" If you're comfortable with building your own box and you have access to lots of spare parts for troubleshooting then, maybe, a home-built box is for you. Otherwise, buy a box with a warranty from a company that has reasonable tech support and is likely to be around three years from now."

BTW, looking at the spec on most laptops vs desktops, am I gonna be getting significant lower performance from a lap vs desktop?
(thought maybe I could buy a couple of monitors, laptop and docking station....your thoughts?

slk230mb
10-26-05, 02:32 PM
Spoke to my firms computer dude and his comment was:

" If you're comfortable with building your own box and you have access to lots of spare parts for troubleshooting then, maybe, a home-built box is for you. Otherwise, buy a box with a warranty from a company that has reasonable tech support and is likely to be around three years from now."

BTW, looking at the spec on most laptops vs desktops, am I gonna be getting significant lower performance from a lap vs desktop?
(thought maybe I could buy a couple of monitors, laptop and docking station....your thoughts?

If portability isn't a concern, get a desktop. They are less heat prone, more upgradeable and will likely feature a more power full processor. Laptops with big processors are battery hogs.

terrible one
10-26-05, 05:07 PM
powerglide, don't let that scare you. You can build your own! And you will be so glad you did when you finish and save lots of cash.

Desktops offer better performance than laptops in their price range. Laptop components are more expensive, which is why a more expensive laptop is only as good as a less expensive desktop.