: Would you get an Audi?

ben72227
10-23-05, 03:53 AM
Well, I was thinking about all of the other luxury cars besides Cadillac, and Audi seemed, well, a bit different from the rest.

Specifically, of the German cars, Audi is sort of the known unknown. Mercedes and BMW (IMHO) have both reached a point where they are no longer appealing visually nor do they have they exclusivity that MB had back in the 70s and 80s (you know, when you used to see a German luxury car and had to do a double take cause they were so rare, back when Lincoln and Cadillac were the only Luxury cars around). For those hip with the modern lingo, we would say that BMW and MB are played out.:p

And Audi seems not only visually appealing to me, but they are sporty at the same time. They have quattro all wheel drive, and its not just a fad like it is with some others, it is the real deal with Audi (like it is with Subaru). Yet they are understated too, which is also appealing, they aren't so flamboyant as Cadillac or MB. It's not like, "Look at me, I'm rich and I'm showing it off." It makes them look more professional. Kind of like mccombie was saying about his VW Phaeton...

Anyway, I was wondering how you viewed them, and if you did get an Audi, which one would you get. (I would get the A4, with the V6 tiptronic quattro (as opposed to a Cadillac CTS), but my dream car is the A8 with the W12:devil: )

Ralph
10-23-05, 03:55 AM
How about a pic of your favorite model, than I can decide.:D

I could live with the new A4 with the turbo......

http://www.drivingtelevision.com/segmentviewer.php?episode=211&searchStatus=1&keyword=audi%20a8&segment=6&segtitle=

ben72227
10-23-05, 04:03 AM
This is the ultra nice A8 (as seen in the Transporter 2 movie):
http://audiusa.com/common/images/2005_ext_gallery16_a8sedan_lg.jpg

and this is my dream car that I might actually be able to afford someday; the A4:
http://audiusa.com/common/images/2005_ext_gallery12_a4sedan_lg_us.jpg

Playdrv4me
10-23-05, 04:07 AM
Notice how well the body lines translate from the larger A8 to the smaller A4 without sacrificing anything in either model. Audi is definitely up there with my favorites, though they are not as unknown as they used to be. I see at least three A8s here per day in the Tampa area.

Ben what did you do to get such a bad reputation so quickly??

Ralph
10-23-05, 04:08 AM
That's nice, and I have to see that movie yet......the first one was great!

I noticed from that video that the A4 is in Volvo territory for pricing. Pretty expensive for a smaller car but you get a quality interior almost second to none.

ben72227
10-23-05, 04:21 AM
I have no clue why I have such a bad reputation...Ralph and I are discussing it through PMs and we've concluded that there must be some people *cough*Scourge*cough* who don't like me too much...

powerglide
10-23-05, 04:26 AM
That S8 is one stealth luxo racer!

Ralph
10-23-05, 04:28 AM
there must be some people
Emphasis on this..

Jesda
10-23-05, 04:32 AM
I would lease an Audi. I would never buy one new, and I would definitely not buy one used. Great cars to drive, terrible cars to own, with one of the worst luxury dealer networks in the US.

ben72227
10-23-05, 04:38 AM
Ah, but my Audi dealer is the #1 in the Nation (they have a little plaque from Audi that says so) in customer satisfaction. Parker Audi, they are more famous though for Parker Cadillac; Arkansas' only exclusive Cadillac dealer...

danbuc
10-23-05, 05:03 AM
I always wanted an RS6, never had the money though. Perhaps when I win the lottery and own a 30 car garage I'll be able to afford one..hehe.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
10-23-05, 05:25 AM
Of the big German 3, Audi would be my choice.

If you drive a BMW people will think you're an ***hole, and Mercs aren't what they used to be quality wise.

fast66
10-23-05, 06:27 AM
I used to drive a 01 s4, great car just too small.

davesdeville
10-23-05, 06:59 AM
Probably not my first choice when it comes to luxury or luxury-performance but I definately like the cars and the brand.

Rauf
10-23-05, 08:31 AM
The S4 Convertible - very nice and powerful!
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/emotion/entertainment/gallery.Par.0282.Image.jpg

Playdrv4me
10-23-05, 09:24 AM
The S4 Convertible - very nice and powerful!
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/emotion/entertainment/gallery.Par.0282.Image.jpg

M3 Fighter! (For now anyway)

Audi is working to improve is its quality and customer service image overtime starting this quarter.

Randy_W
10-23-05, 09:28 AM
If you don't mind the 300c front end look and the poor quality and service reputation, go for it!:D

mccombie_5
10-23-05, 09:34 AM
Would you get an Audi?

Yes

I owned an Audi Quattro in 1983, and it was great for a winter car, i have driven the modern Audis, and they are all great cars. There is one Audi i like above the rest, again, like my Phaeton for its anonymity. Its the previous model S8

http://images.autobytel.com/cyber/158592/iB3541_1.jpg

The current Audis do alot for me, i lke the new A6 Avant, theres one often in the car park at the office, its a very nice car, when that isnt there, theres a new style A8 W12 (the guy must have two) and they are very attractive cars.

I drove the new A8 with the V8 diesel engine, it was phenominal, but i chose the Phaeton in the end, bcause i like to be a little different, and there arent many on the roads.

There are four current Audis i would buy without thinking twice if i was in that situation.

A3 - http://www.audiworld.com/news/03/a3/a3001b.jpg

A4 Convertible - http://www.ccvs.org.uk/nimages/2003-Audi-A4-Cabriolet-1024x768.jpg

A6 Avant - http://www.autoabeceda.cz/images/clanky/audia6avant2.jpg

A8 W12 - http://www.hella-press.de/picts/p0000099.jpg

All very beautiful automobiles

Jesda
10-23-05, 09:44 AM
Please lease it. When the warranty is gone, you do NOT want to hold on to it.

mccombie_5
10-23-05, 09:50 AM
There seems to be little probelms with reliability here.

Ive read or heard nothing abuot them being poor in this area

airbalancer
10-23-05, 09:55 AM
Our latest car is a 323 CI Convertible, we look at the A4 Convertible but the looks did nothing for us. Something about the front end
I believe Audi was hurt in the early 80"s(?) when people said that their Audi was accelerate by themselves, 60 minutes did a story on them.

Once you get a bad rep it takes a long time to get to be good again.
Off topic, CTS really needs a couple and a convertible

Pete Benson
10-23-05, 02:17 PM
Regardless of their merits as cars, they are just such great looking cars. The A6 is sensational, and the long wheelbase A8 is an orgasm with tires if ever I saw one.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-23-05, 02:57 PM
id like to one day own one fo the early 80s short wheelbase quattro coupes

then a late 80s early 90s quattro coupe

then a TT

maybe a first gen A4 , there getting too big now

Blackout
10-23-05, 03:00 PM
I'll take an Audi S4, RS4, or a RS6 any day of the week

mccombie_5
10-23-05, 03:01 PM
id like to one day own one fo the early 80s short wheelbase quattro coupes
then a late 80s early 90s quattro coupe
then a TT
maybe a first gen A4 , there getting too big now

I had the standard wheelbase Quattro Coupe

http://accad.osu.edu/~pgerstma/class/vnv/work/2003_WI/mvoshell/task02/1.jpg

ben72227
10-23-05, 03:33 PM
About that acceleration by itself (actually it was accelerate when they brake), it was later found that they didn't accelerate bythemselve, but that Audi placed the accelerator and brake very close to each other (for shifting in rally racing) and that north american drivers weren't used to that, so they would brake and accelerate at the same time. Anyway, it was the Audi 100/200/5000 and it was later found (how ironic) by the NHTSA to be the safest car of the 80s...

So it was a double sting for the Audi owners: Not only did they sell their cars at a very reduced price, but they ended up getting something less safe...

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
10-23-05, 03:39 PM
Guy at work had a 98 A4 a few years ago.
2.6 or something like that.

Auto gearbox went bad, a/c system packed up, radiator ended up with a hole in it. Car was only 5 years old.

Repair bills weren't as bad as BMW but he was advised by his mechanic to sell it as it was about to get expensive.

Not a big fan of the new large grille Audi's, but the old S8 was nice (the one in the Ronin film) as it was very plain.
Mind you I also like the RS6 Estate in dark grey.
There's just something about HiPo Audi Estates...

Sandy
10-23-05, 03:44 PM
I have loved the looks of all Audis, since 1997. In 2005 when the put that cow-shreader grille on the front, I turned off, on all but the sexy A4 convertible. Now, sadly, for the first time, I see here, on this site, that the cow-catcher grille has been grafted onto the convertible! Ugh :ill:
I have 2 dream cars: Audi A8L W-12 and the Jag XJ-Super 8. I still love the Audis and hopefully that front end will leave us by 2007-8. It dwarfs the Chrysler 300C.

airbalancer
10-23-05, 04:32 PM
About that acceleration by itself (actually it was accelerate when they brake), it was later found that they didn't accelerate bythemselve, but that Audi placed the accelerator and brake very close to each other (for shifting in rally racing) and that north american drivers weren't used to that, so they would brake and accelerate at the same time. Anyway, it was the Audi 100/200/5000 and it was later found (how ironic) by the NHTSA to be the safest car of the 80s...

So it was a double sting for the Audi owners: Not only did they sell their cars at a very reduced price, but they ended up getting something less safe...
Thanks for checking up on that, I knew the problem was not Audis, they got screwed

ben72227
10-23-05, 05:01 PM
It was in a 60 minutes report from 1986. They later retracted their statement, but the damage had been done, and thus Audi got left behind when BMW and MB exploded in the USA market. It took Audi nearly 15 years to get their repuatation back, but they have had an increase in sales every year for the past eight years. I think last year they sold something like 850,000 vehicles...

By the way, maybe Sandy can answer this, how many vehicles does Cadillac sell per year? (Specifically, How many CTS get sold, if you can find that...)

51PHFTY
10-23-05, 10:39 PM
I had a '98 A4T with mod.'s (both suspension and motor) and I put 160,000 hard miles on that car. The only problem I ever had was blowing the timing belt at um - well - slightly over 65 m.p.h. My fault though as it was at 104,000 miles and the belt is supposed to be changed at 60,000ish ( I just kinda forgot). New belt, valve job and new water pump (since the front of the car was off anyway) was about $2k ( a little head work was also included).

It was one of the best cars I have owned.

Marty

Sandy
10-24-05, 12:02 AM
Ben, speaking very technical now......to ask how many XYZ's get sold in a year is NOT REALLY what you are after!! You see, a year is January 2nd to December 30th. During that year, 3 different model years are actually sold !
During January, February & March, many "Leftover" prior year cars are still "in stock" and will be sold during the 1st quarter. They are being sold together & mixed in with the then (whatever) CURRENT year cars that bowed in previous September. So, there you have 2 different model years, and SOMETIMES totally different cars, wearing the same nameplate! But wait.... here comes September, October, Novmber & December and the all new cars are out !! So, in any given year - 365 days - there are 3 MODEL years being sold!

Therefore.... a better and clearer picture of actual "achievements" of a particular model can be seen by obtaining PRODUCTION figures, rather than sales figures. This because PRODUCTION figures are indeed broken up BY MODEL YEAR, rather than by CALENDAR YEAR ! So, what you are really after is the total production of 2004 & 2005.

By the way, no car ever goes back to the factory as UNsold. In the end, every car manufactured...does eventually get sold !

I have the info you want >>>>somewhere, but I am too tired to go on a witch-hunt thru all my stuff, tonight. I'll try & find it tomorrow.

Ralph
10-24-05, 12:25 AM
The only thing that might cause some people to prefer BMWs and M-Bs over Audis is that they know they're buying the real deal when they get a Benz or a Bimmer.

The A4, for instance, shares a lot of parts with Volkswagens, SEATs, and Skodas. The TT shares an awful lot with the Golf and Beetle. That doesn't make Audis bad cars in any way, but the platform-sharing somehow dilutes the character and heritage of the cars. Whereas when you buy a BMW, it's all BMW, and you're getting the genuine article.

As for the new Audi grilles, I believe it's inspired by the designs of the German Auto Union grand prix race cars of the 1930s. So from a historical standpoint, it's kind of cool. Something a Lexus or an Infiniti, for instance, doesn't really have.

gdwriter
10-24-05, 01:19 AM
A buddy of mine just bought a '98 A6 2.8 Quattro; got it for $11K (KBB was around $16K). Gorgeous car; great highway cruiser.

I'm not wild about the new Audi noses, but they're not as bad as the Bangle-ized BMWs. Those things are hideous, especially compared to the previous generations.

Ralph
10-24-05, 01:20 AM
A buddy of mine just bought a '98 A6 2.8 Quattro; got it for $11K (KBB was around $16K). Gorgeous car; great highway cruiser.

I'm not wild about the new Audi noses, but they're not as bad as the Bangle-ized BMWs. Those things are hideous, especially compared to the previous generations.

The new 3-Series looks pretty good. And the 6-Series. The 7 was the one that split people over its looks.

DDS rollin a CTS
10-24-05, 06:41 AM
my dads got an A6 and from personal experience i can say their quality/reliability is a bit questionable, though having the quatro when it gets slick out is pretty nice. I used to beg him to let me drive it, until i got my cts. now he's the one begging to drive my car! i give him the same answer he always gave me, "not today b/c i've got to do such-and-such, maybe tomorrow".

Randy_W
10-24-05, 08:32 AM
The TT shares an awful lot with the Golf and Beetle. That doesn't make Audis bad cars in any way, but the platform-sharing somehow dilutes the character and heritage of the cars. Whereas when you buy a BMW, it's all BMW, and you're getting the genuine article.

Unless of course you get an R class MB, which is a lightly reskinned Pacifica which is basically a Caravan platform with IRS from MB.:duck:

Ralph
10-24-05, 02:40 PM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/previews/61198/audi_a4_cabrio_fsi_mtronic.html

RobertCTS
10-24-05, 03:11 PM
How about a pic of your favorite model, than I can decide.:D

I could live with the new A4 with the turbo......

http://www.drivingtelevision.com/segmentviewer.php?episode=211&searchStatus=1&keyword=audi%20a8&segment=6&segtitle=

Have you seen the convertible A4? Hott!

Ralph
10-24-05, 03:39 PM
Have you seen the convertible A4? Hott!

Afraid not. Just pictures...

AirJigga25
10-24-05, 05:57 PM
I would lease an Audi. I would never buy one new, and I would definitely not buy one used. Great cars to drive, terrible cars to own, with one of the worst luxury dealer networks in the US.

Never buy a used Audi. they are money pits..my friends know...

but a new one might not be too bad...