: instant on radar?

sharky1
10-22-05, 11:23 AM
just got my valentine one, as one more ticket will cost me my license...am I still vulnerable to instant on, and does anyone here know if thats in use in Oregon? Thx.

turbojimmy
10-22-05, 11:38 AM
just got my valentine one, as one more ticket will cost me my license...am I still vulnerable to instant on, and does anyone here know if thats in use in Oregon? Thx.

"instant on" isn't a type of radar it's a technique the cops use to foil people with radar detectors. They simply flick on the radar as you approach. That way you're not picking him up the whole time and you get nailed. I got nailed in PA by a cop that was doing that. I was cruising along and suddenly the radar detector lit up with all bars for K band. Too late.

You can help prevent getting nailed by not being out in front and by paying attention to the radar detector. If you have cars out front as bait, you'll see the radar detector light up and go quiet, light up go quiet as they 'instant on' the cars ahead. It's the only way to protect yourself a little from the 'instant on'.

Jim

Jack Ammann
10-22-05, 11:57 AM

I have a Valentine One and I live down here in Texas...that has and uses "instant on" radar. What works for me is to depend on the Highway Patrol...who sits in the divider between the roadways...to shoot the car ahead of me. If I'm within 5 miles of the car ahead, mountains excepted, the Valentine One will pick up the instant on "shoot"...The Valentine One is absolutely the finest detector there is to be had.

As for Oregon, I have not a clue as to what their modus operandi is.
I was in Arizona not long ago on I-8 westbound...about half way between Phoenix and the California border with the cruise control set on 125 MPH. I got a "bogie" on Valentine One with about a 4 or 5 second "shoot" and I actually got board driving 70 waiting to run up on the Cop who was shooting. It was a good 4 to 5 miles before I passed him sitting on the side of the road. I was begining to think I had a false signal and I sure had waisted alot of time toolin' along at 70 to 75 MPH...LOL....but finally...there he was.

Anyway, the car ahead method works great. Try it a few times until you get the method down "pat". and when you're comfortable with the method, set your tach on about 3500 to 4000 RPM in high gear...and "go somewhere"...traffic and road conditions allowing that kind of speed of course...LOL.:highfive:

Rey
10-22-05, 11:59 AM
Instant-on radar is used almost exclusively in Oregon, even by local cops. Local cops on speeder patrol inhabit school zones and residential areas where all the traffic exceeds a posted speed limit on a particular street.

In addition, Oregon State Patrol uses laser, particularly on I-5 and I-84. I too have a Valentine; and, unfortunately, its laser protection is not too helpful when it hits on your car. Then it is usually too late. The laser protection works best when it hits on a car that is ahead of you.

willsctsv
10-22-05, 02:28 PM
You must use the cars up ahead as the bait. If you are the lone ranger and traveling at high speeds you are finished. Instant on as you approach the trooper and game is over.
I sometimes cruise on Rt 80 or 95 in PA or NJ at some very nice 1xx speeds. But i always make sure I can see vehicles ahead of me.Even if it's a mile ahead. If not I slow down to 75-80 untill I can see the cars in front, then I drop the hammer again. Yes, the V1 is a great little device!

sefa01
10-22-05, 03:06 PM
You must use the cars up ahead as the bait. If you are the lone ranger and traveling at high speeds you are finished. Instant on as you approach the trooper and game is over.
I sometimes cruise on Rt 80 or 95 in PA or NJ at some very nice 1xx speeds. But i always make sure I can see vehicles ahead of me.Even if it's a mile ahead. If not I slow down to 75-80 untill I can see the cars in front, then I drop the hammer again. Yes, the V1 is a great little device!

Or you can hope the trooper doesn't believe what he's seeing, such as 3 Vs in a row flying by him at 110, right Will?

Skiddles
10-22-05, 03:15 PM
The above posts tactic talk of a 'stationary' patrol car.

What about a 'moving' patrol car? That 'car in front' could be HP and zap you through the rear window while on the roll.

Vdrenaline
10-23-05, 02:16 PM
The above posts are correct listen for quick radar blasts as cars in front are targeted. If you are alone and in front, slow down to 8-9MPH over the limit whenever there is a place you cant see into such as a bunch of trees after an open stretch of land. Also look out for over passes because they sit after them and then target you from behind. In fact in New York state, they are targeting from behind more and more. Look for little roads cut into the trees. The cops will sit and wait for you to pass then hit the on button of the radar or laser. The V1 is the only radar detector to own, but it should be supplemented by a good laser jammer such as "The Blinder".
Basically if you drive with an extrmemly high state of awareness, looking as far ahead as possible at all times, you will be OK most of the time and will be a safer driver as well.

But if you drive fast consistantly, you WILL be caught once in a while.

If you do get nailed and a cop wants to pull you over, pull way over to the side out of traffic to let the officer know you are concerned with his/her safety. Then put on your flashers, take off your sunglasses if daytime so he can see your eyes, roll down your window and put your hands on the wheel where he can see them. If it is nighttime, turn on your interior lights so he can see you. Put yourself in the cops shoes: they don't know if you are a murderer and they are usually all alone on the highway when pulling someone over. Acknowledge and respect this and you will be treated better. Look directly into their eyes when talking and be very respectful. I always say "yes sir officer" or "no sir officer". If you do this you will get let off more often than you might expect.
That being said, their main job is to get revenue so they will be looking to ticket you. Don't help them. They will ask you questions designed to incriminate you and they will write down everything you say on the back of your ticket. They will ask "What's your Hurry?" You will reply "No hurry Officer". They will say "Do you know how fast you were going?" You will reply "Last time I looked Officer I was doing the speed limit". They will ask "where were you going in such a hurry?" You will reply "I'm not in any hurry Officer". They will ask "Do you know what the speed limit is here?" You will reply "The last sign I saw said XX MPH" They will say "I clocked you at 85MPH, why were you going so fast?" You will reply "Officer I don't mean to contradidt you officer, but I think there must be some mistake. I was going the speed limit sir"
If you say all those things and don't incriminate yourself and remain very respectful, he just might let you off. If he does give you a ticket, remain respectful and say something like "I know you have a job to do officer and I respect you and the job you do". This way when you and your lawyer see him in court and the proseuting attorney asks him to let you plea to a non-points ticket, he will look at his ticket, read his note that you were respectful and will likely let you off with just a fine.
Every once in a while, you will get pulled over but if you handle yourself appropriately, you may get off or just get a fine.