: Dropping Drive Train Axles Too?

raymondk
10-22-05, 02:40 AM
I have read many posts and seen many pictures and read the manuals many times and hence total confusion has overtaken me. I need to pull my 93 Eldorado engine to repair a leaking core plug in the rear head as well as the leaking evaporator core. The book says pull the axles when pulling the drive train. I've seen leave them in. Pull the struts too? Seems pulling the struts with axles would be combersome. Is there risk or difficulty pulling the axles and leaving the struts? I've pulled hundreds of engines every which way there was, but I never had the experience base that resides here. The book also says pull the harness from the PCM and front connector. The A/C is not a problem. I would appreciate the input of a multi-puller.

zonie77
10-22-05, 03:52 AM
What engine do you have?

The 4.6 drops out without pulling the axles. I thought the 4.9 would be mounted the same. Look at the tech tips section, N* head gaskets.

Are you dropping the cradle? That's the way they are designed to come out.

Even if you are pulling out the top...where does it say to pull the axles?

A lot of wiring has to be disconnected. Most of it uses different style/size connectors for every plug. You must be careful not to forget any, but most only go one place. Yes, you disconnect the connectors at the computer.:eek:

raymondk
10-22-05, 11:20 AM
Sorry I misled. Mine is N* and the axle ref is only for pulling the cradle.

zonie77
10-22-05, 11:29 AM
Look at the tech tips section, N* head gaskets.

Are you dropping the cradle? That's the way they are designed to come out.

A lot of wiring has to be disconnected. Most of it uses different style/size connectors for every plug. You must be careful not to forget any, but most only go one place. Yes, you disconnect the connectors at the computer.:eek:

Look at that post...It isn't that hard and the axles don't come off. There is stuff linked including pics of the cradle coming out.

Pjs
10-23-05, 01:11 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4578&d=1098374461

This link is a pic with the cradle out and struts / axles still attached.