: Pic of Much-Improved 2008 S-Type

Ralph
10-22-05, 12:39 AM
Here's a spy photo of the next-gen Jag S-Type.

If they actually build something that looks like the cgi picture, this will be a quantum leap ahead of the current S-Type. I liked the recent generation, especially the interior, but it's definitely long in the tooth.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Spy_Shots/Spy_Shots_08_Jaguar_S-Type.S178.A9466.html

Rolex
10-22-05, 12:40 AM
Kind of sleek and sexy. I'll take 2. :p

brougham
10-22-05, 01:22 AM
If that's the only picture I like the old one better.

LittleB
10-22-05, 02:09 AM
Whoa.....that is SEXY!

DeVillish
10-22-05, 03:41 AM
thats dead sexay! I like it. They realllly need to get away from the ford-ish styling...yeah i know ford owns them but still.

Playdrv4me
10-22-05, 05:14 AM
I think it looks terrible... for a Jag. If changing the fundamentals of classic Jaguar styling on a single vehicle is what the entire success or failure of the whole company hinges on, then something is seriously wrong.

I really doubt it would ever happen as there would at the very least be a ton of outside investors (even the chinese) who might consider taking over Jaguar, but if it were to die, it would be a sad day in the automotive world.

Jesda
10-22-05, 06:08 AM
I like how they sculpted out a full snout between the fog lamps, and the cool ice look of the headlights. I'll have to see a 360 view to make a final conclusion. I wish the S-type's belt line was horizontal like the XJ or sloped upward. Its got that MB CLS frightened kitty look.

mccombie_5
10-22-05, 07:52 AM
I agree it is going the way the MErcedes CLS is

Ralph
10-22-05, 01:25 PM
thats dead sexay! I like it. They realllly need to get away from the ford-ish styling...yeah i know ford owns them but still.

I don't think I ever considered the current generation "Ford styling" but I think like Jesda said, I would have to see all of the car in a 360 view, or in person to fully make a decision.

Ralph
10-22-05, 01:26 PM
I think it looks terrible... for a Jag. If changing the fundamentals of classic Jaguar styling on a single vehicle is what the entire success or failure of the whole company hinges on, then something is seriously wrong.
I really doubt it would ever happen as there would at the very least be a ton of outside investors (even the chinese) who might consider taking over Jaguar, but if it were to die, it would be a sad day in the automotive world.

My immediate thoughts the second I saw that pic were "Maybach-ish" but now I'm not so sure.

gothicaleigh
10-22-05, 01:47 PM
I can't say I dislike it and it's truly more attractive than most Jaguar designs as of late. I am happy to see that they tried incorporating a few Jag design cues like the headlamp shape contouring into the hood, but for some reason the bottom half of the front reminds me of Audi (not necessarily a bad thing, but definately not classic Jaguar).

Ralph
10-22-05, 01:51 PM
I can't say I dislike it and it's truly more attractive than most Jaguar designs as of late. I am happy to see that they tried incorporating a few Jag design cues like the headlamp shape contouring into the hood, but for some reason the bottom half of the front reminds me of Audi (not necessarily a bad thing, but definately not classic Jaguar).

and glad you're back!

I think I see some classic 1950's Jag styling in this car...

mccombie_5
10-22-05, 01:59 PM
and glad you're back!
I think I see some classic 1950's Jag styling in this car...

Thats what they tried to do with the original S-Type wasnt it?

I think it paid off, Jaguarrs are among some of the best looking cars on the roads today. I just thinkt he styling of the X-Type is a bit of a let down, it would have bee nice if the front was more dramatic, maybe a deeper grille, bigger headlamps, or a longer hood would hae done the trick, theyre still incredibly beautiful cars.

Although the biggest let away for Jaguar's styling is the haunches behind the rear doors, making the car look like it is raedy to "pounce" as any big cat should, the way the trunklid falls to a gentle slope after a few inches of rising, it is a fantastic look.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2000-2003/2002-Jaguar-XJ-Super-V8.jpg

I have loved all of the XJ jaguars, apart from the 1986 XJ40, the revised version from 1994 is much, much nicer, and after the 1970s XJ Coupe (i owned one in the early 1990s, it was stunning) the current model is the most beautiful of all the XJ's

Note: This does not include the fugly XJS

Ralph
10-22-05, 02:16 PM
Thats what they tried to do with the original S-Type wasnt it?
I think it paid off, Jaguarrs are among some of the best looking cars on the roads today. I just thinkt he styling of the X-Type is a bit of a let down

Yes, I believe that's correct, and I agree. I like how tradition and heritage sells many cars like MB, Jaguar, etc, but I personally never cared for that "toilet seat grille" on the S-Type, even the old Jag examples with it. I guess it's just a personal preference issue because I'm sure many others including yourself have no problem with it.

Ya, I hear many people say they are disappoointed with the X-Type.

Ford has certainly put the quality back in Jaguar because of the investments made in them...

mccombie_5
10-22-05, 02:40 PM
Yes, I believe that's correct, and I agree. I like how tradition and heritage sells many cars like MB, Jaguar, etc, but I personally never cared for that "toilet seat grille" on the S-Type, even the old Jag examples with it. I guess it's just a personal preference issue because I'm sure many others including yourself have no problem with it.
Ya, I hear many people say they are disappoointed with the X-Type.
Ford has certainly put the quality back in Jaguar because of the investments made in them...

The Grille is nice as far as i am concerned, it wouldnt bother me.

There is quality with the X-Type, it just seems dull considering the other cars alongside it in the showrooms.

Not bad for a rebodied Mondeo

addison_ii
10-22-05, 04:03 PM
Looks nice. Wouldn't mind having one.

Blackout
10-22-05, 05:13 PM
I really doubt it would ever happen as there would at the very least be a ton of outside investors (even the chinese) who might consider taking over Jaguar, but if it were to die, it would be a sad day in the automotive world.Well unfortunatly Jag isn't selling so well so they decided to opt for redesigning the fleet and hoping for better sales. I like the way Jag is heading with the new XKR and now this S-Type. I wonder if they're going to be redoing the X-Type

mccombie_5
10-22-05, 05:18 PM
Well unfortunatly Jag isn't selling so well so they decided to opt for redesigning the fleet and hoping for better sales. I like the way Jag is heading with the new XKR and now this S-Type. I wonder if they're going to be redoing the X-Type

Well in fairness the design behind the XK is 10 years old, and the underpinnings are 30 years old, the X-Type is nice, but it needs more pazzaz, the S-Type is also doing well for its age, the XJ is new and needs no change for as long as the original (we hope)

fast66
10-22-05, 05:18 PM
Well unfortunatly Jag isn't selling so well so they decided to opt for redesigning the fleet and hoping for better sales. I like the way Jag is heading with the new XKR and now this S-Type. I wonder if they're going to be redoing the X-Type
:yeah:

Blackout
10-22-05, 05:50 PM
Well in fairness the design behind the XK is 10 years old, and the underpinnings are 30 years old, the X-Type is nice, but it needs more pazzaz, the S-Type is also doing well for its age, the XJ is new and needs no change for as long as the original (we hope)There are many points to agree and disagree with. The XJ looks fine IMO. But Jag can't stick with its heritage or trying to keep their cars looking like they have because obviously that isn't working. Out with the old and in with the new. Look at Chrysler. They couldn't give their cars away and now look at them. They're the only US car compnay to be making money and not losing it. What caused such a turn around? Redesigning the whole fleet and ta da the rest is history

mccombie_5
10-22-05, 06:08 PM
There are many points to agree and disagree with. The XJ looks fine IMO. But Jag can't stick with its heritage or trying to keep their cars looking like they have because obviously that isn't working. Out with the old and in with the new. Look at Chrysler. They couldn't give their cars away and now look at them. They're the only US car compnay to be making money and not losing it. What caused such a turn around? Redesigning the whole fleet and ta da the rest is history

They cannot afford to change the XJ anyway, its new, hell, im ordering one in December.....

I just wonder what Jaguars look like when they arent like they are now, because they always looked like that...

Jaguars are selling mroe than they ever have.....ever.

Blackout
10-22-05, 07:07 PM
They cannot afford to change the XJ anyway, its new, hell, im ordering one in December.....
I just wonder what Jaguars look like when they arent like they are now, because they always looked like that...
Jaguars are selling mroe than they ever have.....ever.But at the sametime doesn't mean thats its beneficial. Hell Aston Martin turned a profit for the first time in their companies history or since Ford took control of them only a few months ago.

mccombie_5
10-22-05, 07:20 PM
But at the sametime doesn't mean thats its beneficial. Hell Aston Martin turned a profit for the first time in their companies history or since Ford took control of them only a few months ago.

Jaguar have been owned by Ford since 1987......

They must be doing somethign rigth recently, because Jaguar are doing better than they ever have

They dont need change, they are simply redoing the S-Type and XK cars becase they are relatively old in design

Ralph
10-22-05, 08:49 PM
the X-Type is nice, but it needs more pazzaz

They can't do too much to it because it needs to remain the affordable entry-level Jaguar. I suppose a re-style might be in order...it's something I think Ford might spend more $$$ on rather than Lincoln, which Ford seems to have starved in the past while. (other than an exception or two.)

davesdeville
10-23-05, 05:46 AM
I believe the X-Type 3.0 is slated to be canned in a couple years.

Jesda
10-23-05, 09:03 AM
I'd welcome an entry-level X-type sedan that looked more like some of the concept cars of recent years, which would allow the XJ to continue serving people who appreciate Jaguar traditions.

ShadowLvr400
10-23-05, 09:48 AM
Pretty nice.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
10-23-05, 10:55 AM
Looks ok.

I don't agree with the "final throw of the dice" rubbish.

I went into my local dealers to order the new 2.2L Diesel SportPremium model and was told I'd have a long wait due to so many pre-orders.

Judging by the number of x-Type, XJ and XK cars I see on the road I fail to see how they could be in much trouble. The lack of an SUV might be a problem I suppose, but then Ford has Range Rover for that. I hope they don't make an SUV actually, it just doesn't seem right. Just like Porsche shouldn't have made one either, but in ther case not just because they are a performance brand but also becuase it's so ugly...

mccombie_5
10-23-05, 11:01 AM
HRC, you make fantastic sense

Jaguar, i seriously doubt, will make an SUV

Also, i think the X-Type is a poor seller in the US, i can see nothing wrong with the current Jaguar line up. I will be ordering an XJR in December, i got one on test when i was loooking into a Phaeton/Audi A8/ Jaguar/ BMW 7/ Mercedes S and the 3.0 was fantastic, but if im going to get a Jag i want the top of the range model, so i will be buying the XJR.

The diesel estate models are selling extremely well, i see many of them every day.

Ralph
10-24-05, 12:34 AM
As far as I know, the new XJ is not selling very well, mostly because it looks exactly like the old one. It sort of hides the engineering strides made under the skin.

I think you're right mccombie when you doubt that Jag will ever have an SUV. However, it's rumoured that the replacement for the X-Type will be a cross-over of sorts. Since FoMoCo already produces a billion off-roaders for Ford, Land Rover, Mercury, Volvo, Lincoln, and Mazda, it would be redundant.

I remember reading a newsbite a few months ago about a Lagonda-badged V-12 super-SUV coming out in the future, though. That might be cool.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
10-24-05, 03:54 AM
According to the dealer at least 50% of the cars they sell are now diesel due to the company car tax laws.